Author Topic: DVD Writer  (Read 21644 times)

Offline Boo2

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Waaazzzuuuppp!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DVD Writer
« Reply #30 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 11:34 PM »
I'm using a TSST Lightscribe External DVD Writer (TS-L532L)..well according to some articles I read, its the the industrys first slim-line optical drive equipped with LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling...cool :)

DVD +R/-R/+RW/-RW/DL @ 8X (...just right for the slim type version) manufactured date is March 2005 ;)

Continuing to lead the way in mobile optical storage, Toshiba Storage Device Division introduces its latest addition, the industrys first slim-line optical drive equipped with LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling.

This new technology, developed by HP, will enable mobile computer users to easily burn silk-screen quality labels onto CD and DVD discs directly from the drive.

Using LightScribe technology, Toshiba Samsung Storage Technologies' (TSST) TS-L532L drive is ideal for creating visually appealing and personalized CDs and DVDs with graphic images such as corporate logos or personal photos. LightScribe technology eliminates added steps for creating labels or using pens to identify disc content.

Available in a slim casing, Toshibas drive enables PC OEMs to build products that assure consumers of media compatibility when used with other DVD/CD systems. Supporting DVD burn speeds up to 8X, the TS-L532L provides users with optimal storage technology for saving large files, photos and video. The drive also allows notebook users to watch DVD movies or access CD content while on the road

Looking for a way to label your multitude of CDs and DVDs neatly and efficiently? HP has come up with an elegant answer: Use the same laser that already burned the data to make a label on the flip side of the disc.

let me share you some pics...

pic of the actual unit & 10pack HP Lightscribe DVD +R (8x)

close up view of DVD writer with open tray

sample lightscribe labels I tested copied from various DTS demo disc #4, #6, #7 & #9

I was able to test a couple of DVDRs with no problem...Sony +R/-R (8x) at 30.00/each, Phillips +R/-R (8x) @ 25.00/each & E-Top +R/-R (8x) @ 12.00/each

Offline ADM202E

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:10 AM »
I'm using a TSST Lightscribe External DVD Writer (TS-L532L)..well according to some articles I read, its the the industrys first slim-line optical drive equipped with LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling...cool :)

DVD +R/-R/+RW/-RW/DL @ 8X (...just right for the slim type version) manufactured date is March 2005 ;)

Continuing to lead the way in mobile optical storage, Toshiba Storage Device Division introduces its latest addition, the industrys first slim-line optical drive equipped with LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling.

This new technology, developed by HP, will enable mobile computer users to easily burn silk-screen quality labels onto CD and DVD discs directly from the drive.

Using LightScribe technology, Toshiba Samsung Storage Technologies' (TSST) TS-L532L drive is ideal for creating visually appealing and personalized CDs and DVDs with graphic images such as corporate logos or personal photos. LightScribe technology eliminates added steps for creating labels or using pens to identify disc content.

Available in a slim casing, Toshibas drive enables PC OEMs to build products that assure consumers of media compatibility when used with other DVD/CD systems. Supporting DVD burn speeds up to 8X, the TS-L532L provides users with optimal storage technology for saving large files, photos and video. The drive also allows notebook users to watch DVD movies or access CD content while on the road

Looking for a way to label your multitude of CDs and DVDs neatly and efficiently? HP has come up with an elegant answer: Use the same laser that already burned the data to make a label on the flip side of the disc.

let me share you some pics...

pic of the actual unit & 10pack HP Lightscribe DVD +R (8x)

close up view of DVD writer with open tray

sample lightscribe labels I tested copied from various DTS demo disc #4, #6, #7 & #9

I was able to test a couple of DVDRs with no problem...Sony +R/-R (8x) at 30.00/each, Phillips +R/-R (8x) @ 25.00/each & E-Top +R/-R (8x) @ 12.00/each

Nice looks on the burned label, gano katagal magburn ng label? How much is the lightscribe capable dvd media? Last time i check cdrking, ang mahal ng HP media, may alternative and much cheaper media bang avail?

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:46 AM »
Nice looks on the burned label, gano katagal magburn ng label? How much is the lightscribe capable dvd media? Last time i check cdrking, ang mahal ng HP media, may alternative and much cheaper media bang avail?

well i really think those lightscribe na hp sa cdrking are true original..
tingnan mo naman ung price sobrang mahal..

while their cds are so cheap..
diba parang may duda na fake ang mga cdrs nila
and cdrking is not the cheapest because sa lightscribe sobrang mahal..

dunno.. comments lang ninyo?

Offline Boo2

• Collector
  • Waaazzzuuuppp!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:58 AM »
HP Lightscribe DVD +R 8x i think is 80.00/each for a 10pack, if you buy it per piece with casing, its approx. 100.00/each, kinda pricey however sulit naman instead of using cd label.  

Lightscribe printing takes 30mins (BEST QUALITY), approx 20-25 mins (NORMAL QUALITY) and 15mins (DRAFT QUALITY).  You just have to install the lightscribe patch for NERO v6.6 ;)

here's another sample pic of LS capable media...

HP Lightscribe media on the left and the original disc on the right ;)

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 11:09 AM »
HP Lightscribe DVD +R 8x i think is 80.00/each for a 10pack, if you buy it per piece with casing, its approx. 100.00/each, kinda pricey however sulit naman instead of using cd label.  

Lightscribe printing takes 30mins (BEST QUALITY), approx 20-25 mins (NORMAL QUALITY) and 15mins (DRAFT QUALITY).  You just have to install the lightscribe patch for NERO v6.6 ;)

here's another sample pic of LS capable media...

HP Lightscribe media on the left and the original disc on the right ;)

Ganda ah, parang orig (I think thats all people would want to think).  For 80 pesos for 10pack, NOT BAD AT ALL!!! Medyo matagal ngalang magburn, may I'll wait for the next generation with higher speed of label burning muna. BTW, is it the same laser lens being utilized in label burning?

Offline Boo2

• Collector
  • Waaazzzuuuppp!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 04:42 PM »
I suppose it uses the same lens for lightscribe labelling...am not really sure...am just guessing... ;D
yeah i agree, @80.00/disc not bad at all for a branded DVD+R...haven't seen any DVD-R yet...stange ::)
anyway, it perfroms very well even on cheap DVDRs from CDR king...just use 4x for burning to minimize errors ;)

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 07:06 PM »
I suppose it uses the same lens for lightscribe labelling...am not really sure...am just guessing... ;D
yeah i agree, @80.00/disc not bad at all for a branded DVD+R...haven't seen any DVD-R yet...stange ::)
anyway, it perfroms very well even on cheap DVDRs from CDR king...just use 4x for burning to minimize errors ;)

ayos yan ha.. 80/10 disk?

edi 8 isa nyan.. tapos original na? is that true?

Offline Boo2

• Collector
  • Waaazzzuuuppp!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:05 PM »
its 800 pesos for a 10pack...or 80.00/disc  ;)

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #38 on: Aug 31, 2005 at 10:56 AM »

Mga bossing, feedback naman...ok kaya 'to?
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2005 at 10:57 AM by deo »

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 31, 2005 at 01:37 PM »
its 800 pesos for a 10pack...or 80.00/disc  ;)

hmmmmm....i'll wait for the next generation muna......and hear after few months dito if their laser lens is ok pa. I'll still be happy with my liteon 16x dual drive. Wait mode muna for this technology if ok after 6 months based from user's feedback.

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 31, 2005 at 01:39 PM »

Mga bossing, feedback naman...ok kaya 'to?

If you're into light scribe tech, better go for internal type not the external usb 2.0. Speed and bandwidth is better in internal.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2005 at 01:40 PM by ADM202E »

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #41 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 03:16 PM »
If you're into light scribe tech, better go for internal type not the external usb 2.0. Speed and bandwidth is better in internal.

Lightscribe ba to? di naman diba?  ???

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 04:19 PM »
Sirs comments naman for this idea...
 I want to buy a Sony DRU-800 internal DVD writer and fit in a Matrix external USB enclosure and connect them to a Compaq NX9010 laptop, P4 2.8 GHz with 768 RAM.  I would like to know if this will work or the drive should be designed as external.  ::)  It worked for a PC HDD but I don't know if an external DVD Writer will be a different case?

thank you very much...
Know Thyself!

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 06:28 PM »
the Sony DRU-800 is a rebadged LiteOn 1693S.  putting it in an enclosure will work but i don't think you will be able to burn higher than 4X.  IIRC, someone reported the burst rate for the Matrix enclosure is around 7MB/s only.  same goes for the That's enclosure (which I'm using).  in order to burn at 16X, you have to have at least a 21MB/s burst rate on your enclosure.

it would be a good idea to go with a burner which has its own enclosure, like the LG GSA-4163D.

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 06:55 PM »
saw this one at cdfreaks.  an external drive that also supports lightscribe.  very nice :)

LG GSA-2166D

original thread here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=147137

Offline m0b1u5

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 07:13 PM »
the Sony DRU-800 is a rebadged LiteOn 1693S.  putting it in an enclosure will work but i don't think you will be able to burn higher than 4X.  IIRC, someone reported the burst rate for the Matrix enclosure is around 7MB/s only.  same goes for the That's enclosure (which I'm using).  in order to burn at 16X, you have to have at least a 21MB/s burst rate on your enclosure.

it would be a good idea to go with a burner which has its own enclosure, like the LG GSA-4163D.
in CDs, isn't it that the lower the burning speed the better? is it the other way around for DVDs?
Only the LG GSA-5163D is available in PC Express for Php 7950.00.  Any comment on this model?

thank you very much.
Know Thyself!

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 08:57 PM »
here's a review for the LG GSA-5163D: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/191
you can also find some user feedbacks here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=132052

regarding the burn speed, most DVD writers today are capable of producing high quality burns at 8X, 12X and 16X speed.  take for example BenQ and NEC drives, which offer overspeeding of 8X media to 12X and still achieve great burns
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 09:00 PM by idlewild »

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #47 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 09:51 PM »
in CDs, isn't it that the lower the burning speed the better? is it the other way around for DVDs?
Only the LG GSA-5163D is available in PC Express for Php 7950.00.  Any comment on this model?

thank you very much.

I had a Sony dru-720 (the model replaced by the dru-800) placed inside a matrix enclosure. Because of the matrix's max burst speed of 7MB/s, the fastest burn speed I could get was 4x with 8x media.

I sold the sony and got the external LG-5163D and was able to burn 8x media at 8x (with USB2, burst rate is around22MB/s, firewire, 26-27MB/s). If I'm not mistaken, the reviews say CD burn quality with this seems to better than the Sony/Lite-On burners and my experience seems to corroborate this. I miss the diagnostic features the Sony has, but otherwise, I'm happy with my LG.

BUT that LG-GSA2166d looks hot!  ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 09:54 PM by gaol »

Offline m0b1u5

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 09:56 PM »
OK sirs, thanks...
Know Thyself!

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 11:12 PM »
I miss the diagnostic features the Sony has, but otherwise, I'm happy with my LG.

i agree with you completely :)  i used to own a Lite-on but replaced it with an LG.  now my burns are even better
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 11:17 PM by idlewild »

Offline doorknob2k1

• Collector
  • Newbie here... be kind to me. =)
  • Liked:
DVD Writer -- need your recommendations...
« Reply #50 on: Sep 04, 2005 at 02:24 AM »
im looking at purchasing a dvd writer soon...
my bugdet is 4k - 4.5k only...
my candidates are...

LG 16x GSA4167B -- P 4,050.00
Lite-On 16x SOHW 1653S -- P 4,050.00
Sony DRU-800A -- P 4,250.00

i would really appreciate your inputs on this. hoping to hear from all of you guys. thanks in advance!  :)

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 10:25 AM »
in terms of specifications, the LG GSA-4167B is better than the Lite-on SOHW-1653S and the Sony DRU-800A:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Model        +R  +RW  +RDL  -R  -RW  -RDL   RAM    CDR   CDRW
GSA-4167B    16    8    6   16    6     4     5     48     32
SOHW-1653S   16    4    4   12    4    NO    NO     48     24
DRU-800A     16    8    4   16    6     4    NO     48     24

in terms of write quality, i find the LG burn quality better than Lite-on

Offline doorknob2k1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 01:29 PM »
Great! thanks idlewild!  :)   

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 08:40 PM »
I had a Sony dru-720 (the model replaced by the dru-800) placed inside a matrix enclosure. Because of the matrix's max burst speed of 7MB/s, the fastest burn speed I could get was 4x with 8x media.

I sold the sony and got the external LG-5163D and was able to burn 8x media at 8x (with USB2, burst rate is around22MB/s, firewire, 26-27MB/s). If I'm not mistaken, the reviews say CD burn quality with this seems to better than the Sony/Lite-On burners and my experience seems to corroborate this. I miss the diagnostic features the Sony has, but otherwise, I'm happy with my LG.

BUT that LG-GSA2166d looks hot!  ;D

I also owns a matrix enclosure,though i havent tried fitting it with my lite-on dvd writter for my laptop (usually used for hdd/ NU dvd rom drive), I didnt take note of the speed of this model. Is it a drive dependent (brand) or the enclosure it self contribute to the burst speed?

BTW, lite-on is the OEM/ subcon of sony/dell/benq  as informed by one of my friend  working as line engineer in lite-on, I will reconfirm if they also cater customers like LG and samsung. Does the opening/closing mechanism sounds familiar on those brands? All slightly the same isnt it.

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 10:26 PM »

I also owns a matrix enclosure,though i havent tried fitting it with my lite-on dvd writter for my laptop (usually used for hdd/ NU dvd rom drive), I didnt take note of the speed of this model. Is it a drive dependent (brand) or the enclosure it self contribute to the burst speed?

from what i understand, the burst rate depends on the controller chip the enclosure uses.  the That's enclosure i have, for example, uses the Cypress chip, which can only reach a maximum speed of 7MB/s.  another enclosure i'm using for my HDD has the Genesys chip, which is capable of reaching 12MB/s.

based on user comments from the net, enclosures which uses the Prolific chipset are capable of reaching 22Mb/s required for 16X burn speed.

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 10:25 AM »
from what i understand, the burst rate depends on the controller chip the enclosure uses.  the That's enclosure i have, for example, uses the Cypress chip, which can only reach a maximum speed of 7MB/s.  another enclosure i'm using for my HDD has the Genesys chip, which is capable of reaching 12MB/s.

based on user comments from the net, enclosures which uses the Prolific chipset are capable of reaching 22Mb/s required for 16X burn speed.

Thanks bro for the info, never tried to check my enclosures' config,  i'll try to check what interface device being used by matrix, specs of which are available at net to check the min and max rating. Katabi lang namin ang cypress dito and  I have a lot of engineer frinds at cypress, maybe the matrix inteface chip's pin config are same as competitor's cypress pin lists, ...........a  lot of tweak can be done to increase burst speed with this idea.

BTW do you  happen to know or check the top brand of interface ic of cypress and genesis?

Offline doorknob2k1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 01:34 PM »
in terms of specifications, the LG GSA-4167B is better than the Lite-on SOHW-1653S and the Sony DRU-800A:

been reading up on lightscribe... what brand/model would you recommend? yung internal and relatively affordable... and locally available. thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2005 at 10:22 PM by doorknob2k1 »

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 03:57 PM »
I've just checked my Matrix 2.5, 3.5 and 5.5 external USB enclosure, all were using cypress chip, the design (most likely) and active/passive devices are also the same. Verified my liteon 8x dvd writter using ridata +/-R 8x at my laptop and desktop, result is favorable, no error during nero verification.

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 01, 2005 at 07:50 AM »

i bought LG GSA-4167B
its a very good drive.. just bought yesterday..
and yes.. its compatible with any DVD-R or +R..
and it writes a very good quality on d media.. so no coasters or errors..

and also what amazes me is that if it burns at 4x speed..
PULIDO AND BURN NYA.. wlang hilaw what so ever.. so its very compatible with
any dvd players burned at LG..

dats my opinion.. any other else?

Offline Blu-Ray

• Trade Count: (+163)
  • DVD Addict
  • More titles coming
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 07, 2005 at 10:17 PM »
Me too, that's my burner model, LG GSA-4167B. On time when I acquired it, it is the fastest burner currently in the market. But today I think, the fastest is the Pioneer DVR-R100. It writes 8X to Dual Layer media plus or minus.

More titles coming soon...