Author Topic: DVD Writer  (Read 21645 times)

Offline snapy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DVD Writer
« Reply #60 on: Oct 08, 2005 at 04:23 PM »
Me too, that's my burner model, LG GSA-4167B. On time when I acquired it, it is the fastest burner currently in the market. But today I think, the fastest is the Pioneer DVR-R100. It writes 8X to Dual Layer media plus or minus.

ok lang kahit mabagal.. 4x is ok for me.. 15 min burning .. mahirap na sobrang bilis baka di naman kaya ng pc mo.. remember yo are transfering 4.5 GB not 700 mb

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 10:24 AM »
in terms of specifications, the LG GSA-4167B is better than the Lite-on SOHW-1653S and the Sony DRU-800A:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Model        +R  +RW  +RDL  -R  -RW  -RDL   RAM    CDR   CDRW
-------------------------------------------------------------
GSA-4167B    16    8    6   16    6     4     5     48     32
SOHW-1653S   16    4    4   12    4    NO    NO     48     24
DRU-800A     16    8    4   16    6     4    NO     48     24

in terms of write quality, i find the LG burn quality better than Lite-on

Interesting. Are there any available  +/-R16x, +/-RDL, 32xCDRW in the local  market? Post your review in terms of quality if you have tested those media on lite-on, sony ang LG on the same or equal model type not the old vs new models.  I dont usually believe in some of those  US reviews, they tend to be biased at some certain points, a hardcore overclocker reader would sometime get the drift of the author is selling out his review. Preferable reviews are  from the local experienced  PC enthusiasts and hardcore overclockers.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2005 at 10:26 AM by ADM202E »

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 10:36 AM »
ok lang kahit mabagal.. 4x is ok for me.. 15 min burning .. mahirap na sobrang bilis baka di naman kaya ng pc mo.. remember yo are transfering 4.5 GB not 700 mb

4x dvd burning is the modest speed for high resolution movies and dvd-a. Your burning speed will depend  on your choice  media manufacturer quality (cheap 8x 8 pesos vs 35 pesos 8x ridata)  , your  pc bus speed (chipset on amd platform or intel platform), your pc memory capacity and CAS latency of your memory (big difference between generic type and branded type of memory, plus the type of IC the manufacturer used, i.e. TSSOP vs SOIC wide type).

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 04:46 PM »
been a while since i visited the forum.

Interesting. Are there any available +/-R16x, +/-RDL, 32xCDRW in the local market? Post your review in terms of quality if you have tested those media on lite-on, sony ang LG on the same or equal model type not the old vs new models.

this is hardly a comparison between old and new models, but on a limited selection of drives one is considering on buying (please see the post above the original one).  as for write quality, if you want is as quantifiable as it can get, you can perform your own tests if you have a drive capable of PIE/PIF scanning.

I dont usually believe in some of those US reviews, they tend to be biased at some certain points, a hardcore overclocker reader would sometime get the drift of the author is selling out his review. Preferable reviews are from the local experienced PC enthusiasts and hardcore overclockers.

that is entirely up to you.  one thing i look for in CD/DVD writer reviews are quality scans and compatibility with different media.   the drive's reading performance comes second as i have a separate DVD-ROM drive for that.

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 11:46 AM »
For the benefit of everyone, lets posts the facts. Analysis should come up with actual verification and unbiased personal opinions. The raw data.   These are for everyone' reference  who needs information on whats the real score.   :D  :D  :D

Back to the topic then.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2005 at 11:56 AM by ADM202E »

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 12:13 PM »
nice idea.  perhaps you should you should start posting these raw data.  based on your posts from other threads, you seem to have a lite-on drive (which is capable of doing quality scans).   also check the DVD+/-R compatibility threads for some quality scans others (including me) has posted :)

Offline Blu-Ray

• Trade Count: (+163)
  • DVD Addict
  • More titles coming
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 02:27 PM »

Kahit mabilis naman yung LG DVD burner ko, 4x pa din ang ginagamit ko. Usually kasi disk ang sumasablay pag sobrang bilis. High tech na kasi mga pc ngayon, lalu na yung mga motherboard at processor. Lalu na pag Intel Mobo or Asus Mobo. Khit yung cd-writer ko na sobrang taas ng X, ang always na ginagamit ko 8X khit pwede naman taasan. Ang reason ko, kaya ba ng disk? baka pumalpak...sayang lang, P9 din yun.

4X is okay for me, I can wait him...basta siguraduhin nya quality sya. Nagmadali ka nga, cyclic redundancy error naman.
More titles coming soon...

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #67 on: Oct 15, 2005 at 01:07 AM »
Khit yung cd-writer ko na sobrang taas ng X, ang always na ginagamit ko 8X khit pwede naman taasan. Ang reason ko, kaya ba ng disk? baka pumalpak...sayang lang, P9 din yun.

4X is okay for me, I can wait him...basta siguraduhin nya quality sya. Nagmadali ka nga, cyclic redundancy error naman.

agree with you sir blu-ray ;)

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Oct 15, 2005 at 09:27 AM »
Kahit mabilis naman yung LG DVD burner ko, 4x pa din ang ginagamit ko. Usually kasi disk ang sumasablay pag sobrang bilis. High tech na kasi mga pc ngayon, lalu na yung mga motherboard at processor. Lalu na pag Intel Mobo or Asus Mobo. Khit yung cd-writer ko na sobrang taas ng X, ang always na ginagamit ko 8X khit pwede naman taasan. Ang reason ko, kaya ba ng disk? baka pumalpak...sayang lang, P9 din yun.

If I were you, which I am not  ;D, I will not speculate on the performance of my DVD burner nor my PC system! If I have an 8X write, I will try to use it the first time using the media you selected to buy! Walang answer yung "kaya ba ng disk, kaya ba nimo, kaya ba niya?" unless you get your feet soaked into it. Pag di kaya, then yo have the answer to all your worries! Pag kaya, pero di mo ginawa, then you are wasting some time and power (consumption of your PC). Pero pag kaya at confident ka na walang issue because you tried it with your DVD material of your choice (and dont switch ;) ), then you utilize the full potential of your eqpt.

The wasted media on your test is just a small fraction of the cost of your equipment and the possible savings potential you can get if you can utilize the full capability of your equipment.

PISO!  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2005 at 09:29 AM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline xenxor

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Oct 15, 2005 at 01:24 PM »

pwede nyo naman step-by-step magburn. example, if you have a cople of 8x media of the same brand, then you can burn them at 4x first (then check the copy),  and burn the next ones at 8x (an check ulit).   if the 8x copy is as good as the 4x copies, then why won't you burn them at 8x?

right now, since lumabas na ang mga 16x media such as Imation DVD+R (Ricohjpn R03) and Iomega DVD+R (Prodisc R04), i used the same incremental speed burning pattern.

first, i tried them at 4x, then at 8x (of course checking if the copies work).  since ok naman ang mga 8x burns on 16x media,  i have now moved up to 12x.   ok pa rin although i will burn some more at 12x and verify the disk quality before i moved up to 16x max.

so far, these are my average expected burn times (on LG 4163B):
DVD+R 4x - 15 min.  (Imation / Iomega / Ridata)
DVD+R 8x - 8 min. (Imation / Iomega / Ridata)
DVD+R 12x - 6 min.  (Imation)

unfortunately, i can't provide PI/PF graphs since my drive doesn't support quality scans.
however, the readback graphs results always produce nice curves.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Nov 04, 2005 at 06:38 PM »
Am buying a DVD writer next week.  I have a 10K Budget.  What's the best out on the market for my Budget?

Thanks yo!! ;D ;D

10k is quite high, go for  pioneer dvr or a plextor drives, these are the ones i use....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #71 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 12:01 PM »
Plextor is the best ...

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 12:57 PM »
Plextor is the best ...

where to buy plextor drives?

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 10:04 AM »
where to buy plextor drives?

try mo sa villman or go to gilmore, marami doong shops, tanong ka lang... ;D

That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 10:56 AM »
try mo sa villman or go to gilmore, marami doong shops, tanong ka lang... ;D

thanks

Offline mrbranch

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 10:54 PM »
someone from tipidpc is selling plextors (716a and 716sa) 8.7k & 9.8k respectively.

just got a DVDRW for myself. It's a BenQ DW1640. Cdfreaks.com's most popular & high rated. Sabi nila ok daw, so yun ang kinuha ko. although gusto ko sana yung mga plextors na yan. kaso di naman ako professional so pwede na to.

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Nov 18, 2005 at 05:04 PM »
someone from tipidpc is selling plextors (716a and 716sa) 8.7k & 9.8k respectively.

just got a DVDRW for myself. It's a BenQ DW1640. Cdfreaks.com's most popular & high rated. Sabi nila ok daw, so yun ang kinuha ko. although gusto ko sana yung mga plextors na yan. kaso di naman ako professional so pwede na to.

i think plextor is not good on DVD..
i have px708A
sumablay na.. and wont read DVD disc or burn..
also burning issue.. naninira ng disc..

its 1 1/2 year old na then my writers busted..
gumagana na lna gdito is cdr burn..

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Nov 18, 2005 at 09:32 PM »
i think plextor is not good on DVD..
i have px708A
sumablay na.. and wont read DVD disc or burn..
also burning issue.. naninira ng disc..

its 1 1/2 year old na then my writers busted..
gumagana na lna gdito is cdr burn..

same problem here..mine is PX-708UF(external)... nde na din sya nag b burn ng dvd.display na lang sya sa setup ko. ;D ;D ;D

peace!!

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #78 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 02:09 PM »
Also have the Benq 1640 so far ok.  Although recently when I tried copying an audio CD directly from my liteon DVD-rom drive, it stops in the middle of the burning and doesn't push through.  What I do is just transfer the data to my hard drive first then burn it in my Benq DVD writer.  The result is ok when I do this.  Is it the software or my DVD writer?

I'm using Nero as my Burning software.

Offline CocoBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Dec 18, 2005 at 03:15 PM »
My LG writer(4167B) won't burn and is saying "Buffer too large" and then burn failure.  I have tried several media(generic and branded) but still it won't burn.   This writer is given to me as a gift(bnew) just this week, and so far all i can burn here are CD-R/RWs.  Help!!

Or pasoli ko na lang sa Canada?
ALA EH!!

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #80 on: Dec 18, 2005 at 06:58 PM »

Or pasoli ko na lang sa Canada?

Hahaha! 

Ano specs ng computer mo?  That could be a factor.  I also have the same DVD Writer and also purchased one for my girlfriend and we've never had any problems with it.

Offline CocoBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Dec 19, 2005 at 06:52 AM »
It is installed in my old set-up.  Here are the specs:

P4 1.8G
Asus P4S533 mobo
GeForce MX420 video
Winfast TV XP
WinXP SP2
Creative SB Audigy SE
Creative Inspire 5.1
128X3 DDR

Could it be the memory since it is recommended to have 512 min? ;D ;D

ALA EH!!

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #82 on: Dec 19, 2005 at 10:49 PM »
My gf also has 128x3 DDR333 and she doesn't have any problems.  So that must not be it.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Dec 20, 2005 at 06:21 AM »
Did you tried burning in slower mode? It might help.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline CocoBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Dec 20, 2005 at 07:48 AM »
My gf also has 128x3 DDR333 and she doesn't have any problems.  So that must not be it.

So far I've read numerous times about this being resolved thru adjustments in settings on the DMA and issues vs. via drivers being too new, but I think I do not have via chipsets in my rig.

Did you tried burning in slower mode? It might help.

I have been setting the burning to minimum, still no luck.

Anyway, I'll try to check it out with 2000 instead of XP and see if it works.

Thanks guys.
ALA EH!!

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #85 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 12:48 PM »
Guys, pahelp naman:

My TEAC DV-W516GB DVD writer won't burn on DVDs anymore. I always get the message "Write Error" whether I'm burning ISo or other files. It would start burning and them when it reached about 1 percent of writing on the disc, ayaw na. I've tried several types of DVD-R, and DVD+R. Hindi naman ito dating ganito. NGayon lang nangyari na ayaw magburn ng DVDs.

The funny thing is that it still burns on my generic CD-RW.

Ano ba ang solusyon dito.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 01:42 PM »
Guys, pahelp naman:

My TEAC DV-W516GB DVD writer won't burn on DVDs anymore. I always get the message "Write Error" whether I'm burning ISo or other files. It would start burning and them when it reached about 1 percent of writing on the disc, ayaw na. I've tried several types of DVD-R, and DVD+R. Hindi naman ito dating ganito. NGayon lang nangyari na ayaw magburn ng DVDs.

The funny thing is that it still burns on my generic CD-RW.

Ano ba ang solusyon dito.

how old is it?

i'm still shopping for a new writer and these horror stories of them breaking down so quick is making me think twice.  :-[

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 01:45 PM »
how old is it?

i'm still shopping for a new writer and these horror stories of them breaking down so quick is making me think twice.  :-[

Pre, this is less than a year old.  Nung bago ito, ang bilis magburn ng ISO at on DVD discs. Ngayon gumagapang sa bagal kahit ISO.

This is an OEM of Liteon according to a site I visited.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 02:13 PM »
yikes! so does that mean you DON'T recommend getting these brands?  :-X

i actually called BENQ's local distributor... no help at all... antipatika pa yung kausap ko. when i asked who among their retailers was nearest my area... sabi ba naman "punta ka na lang ng mall... sa dami, 'di ko maalala".  >:(

i'm trying to wait and see if the 1655 (basically the 1640 with lightscribe) will eventually be sold here. sana...  pero kating-kati na ako bumili eh. LOL.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2006 at 02:16 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 05:00 PM »
yikes! so does that mean you DON'T recommend getting these brands? :-X

i actually called BENQ's local distributor... no help at all... antipatika pa yung kausap ko. when i asked who among their retailers was nearest my area... sabi ba naman "punta ka na lang ng mall... sa dami, 'di ko maalala". >:(

i'm trying to wait and see if the 1655 (basically the 1640 with lightscribe) will eventually be sold here. sana... pero kating-kati na ako bumili eh. LOL.

Naku, asar nga ako e. Dami ko pa namang na-download through torrents and was about to save them on DVD-Rs when this happened.

To be safe, try another brand Bro!

This is just an average burner according to a site!
And it doesn't have a OVERBURN feature, whatever that means!

BRo. gusto mo din siguro isulit yang Pioneer DivX capable player mo ano?