Author Topic: DVD Writer  (Read 21646 times)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DVD Writer
« Reply #90 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 10:00 PM »
Naku, asar nga ako e. Dami ko pa namang na-download through torrents and was about to save them on DVD-Rs when this happened.

To be safe, try another brand Bro!

This is just an average burner according to a site!
And it doesn't have a OVERBURN feature, whatever that means!

BRo. gusto mo din siguro isulit yang Pioneer DivX capable player mo ano?

LOL... hindi naman. i am already burning divx stuff on CDs na. nakaka-tempt lang kasi eh... they have dropped prices considerably and i have always considered getting one last year pa.  ;)

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #91 on: Mar 03, 2006 at 12:47 PM »
LOL... hindi naman. i am already burning divx stuff on CDs na. nakaka-tempt lang kasi eh... they have dropped prices considerably and i have always considered getting one last year pa. ;)

Considering the very little price difference ng price ng CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, in the long run, mababawi mo din yung cost ng DVD-Writer kung sa DVD-Rs mo na ilalagay lahat ng files mo.

Wag ka lang mamalasin na makakuha ng katulad ng writer ko.  :-[
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2006 at 12:48 PM by Quitacet »

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 11:42 PM »
Mga Bros, maganda ba yung  Sony DRU-810A 16x DL DVD±RW Drive? I'm looking kasi for a DVD-writer na di mapili pagdating sa media na gagamitin (read: generic DVD±RWs) at di maselan pagdating sa burning etc.

If ever, ano ba ma-recommend nyo na brand/model. Thanks.

Offline xenxor

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 11:27 AM »
Mga Bros, maganda ba yung  Sony DRU-810A 16x DL DVD±RW Drive? I'm looking kasi for a DVD-writer na di mapili pagdating sa media na gagamitin (read: generic DVD±RWs) at di maselan pagdating sa burning etc.

If ever, ano ba ma-recommend nyo na brand/model. Thanks.

it's a good writer because it's a rebadged BenQ 1640 =)

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 11:40 AM »
For me Pioneer, period! Haven't had a single error. Writes even the cheapest and most rejected type of dvdrs by many.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 01:55 PM »
For me Pioneer, period! Haven't had a single error. Writes even the cheapest and most rejected type of dvdrs by many.

cool... but where can we buy them? i don't see many being sold in the shops.  :-[

can it burn onto both DVD+/-R DLs???
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2006 at 01:55 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #96 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 01:56 PM »
Anong cheapest dvd writer available dyan? Yung  kaya dual layer at  DVD+/-R.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 02:00 PM »
it's a good writer because it's a rebadged BenQ 1640 =)

yeah... save the extra few hundred pesos and get the BenQ 1640... sony has a nice software package tho.  ;)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 02:00 PM »
Anong cheapest dvd writer available dyan? Yung  kaya dual layer at  DVD+/-R.

might be the LG models... cheapest i saw was a little under 3k.  :P

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 06:31 AM »
hmmm... anybody have any thoughts about this one:

** i can't seem to find any info on what chipset it uses...  ???

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 04:13 PM »
The Benq 1640 is an excellent dvdrw, I never had a coaster since I bought this drive.  The included utility is actually what makes this drive so cost effective when it comes to discs.  The utility ensures a quality burn depending on the disc you use and will automatically adjust the burner speed.  Just leave nero on full speed, and the benq utility will do the rest.  If your disc is a 4x but is bad quality disc, the utility will auto adjust the burning speed to 2x or even 1x to ensure a quality burn.  If your disc is rated at 8x but is of very high quality and can really burn at 16x, the benq utility will know and burn at 16x.  These are just examples, so if its a good disc your burning will finish quick, and you'll know what kind of disc to buy next. For me eto talaga the best DVDRW out there.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 12:00 AM »
The Benq 1640 is an excellent dvdrw, I never had a coaster since I bought this drive.  The included utility is actually what makes this drive so cost effective when it comes to discs.  The utility ensures a quality burn depending on the disc you use and will automatically adjust the burner speed.  Just leave nero on full speed, and the benq utility will do the rest.  If your disc is a 4x but is bad quality disc, the utility will auto adjust the burning speed to 2x or even 1x to ensure a quality burn.  If your disc is rated at 8x but is of very high quality and can really burn at 16x, the benq utility will know and burn at 16x.  These are just examples, so if its a good disc your burning will finish quick, and you'll know what kind of disc to buy next. For me eto talaga the best DVDRW out there.

thanks jpadua... i feel compelled to get the 1640 too, the reviews are very promising ... but i can't help but feel like i need to wait for the 1655... it's basically the same writer but with lightscribe option. i know many people encourage others to ditch the "lightscribe" especially since benq drives seem to have problems with it ... but i can't help but feel it will be quite useful for me in the long run. plus with their current "lightscribe" burner (the 1625 - which doesn't support burning for dual layer DVD+R) priced at 4,900 (retail)... i can't imaghine how much the 1655 would be at this time. and with the poor reception i got from their dealer... i doubt i'd get an answer to that one.  :-\

the lite-on i posted seems promising tho... especially since i read that it actually scored higher marks than the 1640 in some "writing" tests. (but only by a little)... but because quitacet's post... i'm a little wary about how long this drive will last me. LOL.

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #102 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 08:20 AM »
For me when it comes to  writing quality w/ available cdr king media . The best writer I have is a Nec 3500 , locally the rebadged equivalent was the tdk 16x.  One thing i missed though was it did not have any scanning ability... and the reading ability was not good as a pioneer dvr108..

Anyway my next one will be a Nec 4570 , hopefully it comes out as good as the 3500 w/ scanning and better reading performance

Offline xenxor

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 10:15 AM »
i coudn't say anything about the Pioneer, Lite-On and NEC since i haven't tried them.
i would have tried Pioneer and NEC if these were widely available around shops. dehins eh.

sa Lite-On naman, availability is not an issue, but i couldn't find good reviews at the time.
the only good reviews i found are for LG 4163B and Benq 1640 so these two drives were what i got.

frankly, i get lower PI Errors (but roughly the same PI Failures) and slightly faster writing on the LG than on Benq.

the funny thing is, i wouldn't know that LG writes slightly better than the Benq if i don't have the Benq to do the quality scans. LG can't scan kasi.  so that's the more significant reason i have both.

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006 at 10:17 AM by xenxor »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #104 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 03:19 PM »
Magkano dyan yung imation external dvd writer?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 03:31 PM »
Magkano dyan yung imation external dvd writer?

i've been looking around (since i'm planning to buy very, very soon) and i have not seen any imation external dvd writers so far.  :-[

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 03:48 PM »
i coudn't say anything about the Pioneer, Lite-On and NEC since i haven't tried them.
i would have tried Pioneer and NEC if these were widely available around shops. dehins eh.

sa Lite-On naman, availability is not an issue, but i couldn't find good reviews at the time.
the only good reviews i found are for LG 4163B and Benq 1640 so these two drives were what i got.

frankly, i get lower PI Errors (but roughly the same PI Failures) and slightly faster writing on the LG than on Benq.

the funny thing is, i wouldn't know that LG writes slightly better than the Benq if i don't have the Benq to do the quality scans. LG can't scan kasi.  so that's the more significant reason i have both.

What I really like a benq1640 its Burn and forget! once I start burning I dont have to worry if my disc will go bad... well thats what Ive been experiencing so far. Ive also tried it in an external enclosure na USB2 on my mom's laptop.  Works pretty well too.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #107 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 02:35 PM »
My desktop had some memory problems, hence, I went to Villman to have it checked, and while they were tinkering with it, I saw the BenQ1640, and I was informed that it costs Php 3.1K at Villman, well...with that price range (and to think it's Villman, it could have been a lot cheaper at Gilmore, I had one installed and true enough upon reaching home, I tried decrypting and burning some titles utilizing the cheapest DVD-R CDR-King has to offer, and true enough as jpadua had posted, the discs all burned well, and the 1640 self adjusts it's speed.
I think it's inherent with the 1640, and true enough when I tried to burn with the DVDDecrypter, it burned with adjusted speeds.
Initially I thought something was wrong, since, my Liteon would emit an orange LED when burning DVDs and a green intermittent blinking LED for CDs, now the BenQ only emits the blinking green LED, when burning DVDs, I do hope it doesn't emit any ornage LED with CDs.
Now my question is, although, this adjustable speed might be a good thing for a new unit, wouldn't it get affected within a shorter span of time, since an adjustable speed pattern might not prove stable in the long run.
I have not fully checked with DVD infopro the burns I made, is the BenQ quality scan reliable?

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:41 AM »
I finally saved enough moolah to upgrade my sputtering motherboard and finally get a DVD-Writer, too. After reading the other members' posts, I decided on the BenQDW1640.

Off I went to Villman West Avenue (where all our PCs and peripherals are bought) and I had them bling my old and dusty desktop PC with the new components. As I was about to pay for the items, I noticed that there was a poster near the door re: BenQ products. By Odin's beard!!! There was the DW1640 writer and it was priced at PhP2,888 only!!! Nakatipid pa ako ng 300 bucks (which I used in buying DVD-r media at Quiapo) from the original PhP3,188 price. Pag cash, you can get it for 2.8K na lang. Hehehe.

Testing the writer (ang tahimik nya at wala problema na-encounter after a few back-ups and a home-edited clip-turned-DVD video) was a breeze and yung ginamit ko na Ridata DVD-R at "Bear Paw" DVD-R burned at 8X naman. Wala pang coasters so far.  I'm glad I read these replies re: DVD-writers from our well-versed members coz hindi ko kasi alam ang kukunin kong brand na writer. One caveat though: The BenQ DW1640 only has a green LED indicator for indicating everything. Really wish it used a different-color (red!) LED when burning. And no freebie DVD-R/RW pa. Oh well, it did come with Nero and for 2.8K, I'm not complaining.  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 01:52 PM »
I finally saved enough moolah to upgrade my sputtering motherboard and finally get a DVD-Writer, too. After reading the other members' posts, I decided on the BenQDW1640.

Off I went to Villman West Avenue (where all our PCs and peripherals are bought) and I had them bling my old and dusty desktop PC with the new components. As I was about to pay for the items, I noticed that there was a poster near the door re: BenQ products. By Odin's beard!!! There was the DW1640 writer and it was priced at PhP2,888 only!!! Nakatipid pa ako ng 300 bucks (which I used in buying DVD-r media at Quiapo) from the original PhP3,188 price. Pag cash, you can get it for 2.8K na lang. Hehehe.

Testing the writer (ang tahimik nya at wala problema na-encounter after a few back-ups and a home-edited clip-turned-DVD video) was a breeze and yung ginamit ko na Ridata DVD-R at "Bear Paw" DVD-R burned at 8X naman. Wala pang coasters so far.  I'm glad I read these replies re: DVD-writers from our well-versed members coz hindi ko kasi alam ang kukunin kong brand na writer. One caveat though: The BenQ DW1640 only has a green LED indicator for indicating everything. Really wish it used a different-color (red!) LED when burning. And no freebie DVD-R/RW pa. Oh well, it did come with Nero and for 2.8K, I'm not complaining.  ;D

yup... i gave in as well and purchased a dvd-writer last, last friday. (but only installed it last week)  :P ... despite my apprehensions about lite-on, i bought this one because of the very tempting price (PHP4,200 - boxed and brand new with 2 free pieces of HP lightscribe DVD+Rs, bundled with nero 6.6 & powerdvd 5)

no coasters so far... it seems to be fairly good for scans as well. and like the the benq... it only has a one color led (steady for read, blinking for write.). the sad part is that nero 7 can't seem to detect the lightscribe feature... luckily, surething cd labeller does. i printed my first lightscribe disc last week. i'm pretty happy with it. (sorry for the really bad design ... was in a rush to try it out. LOL.)

the downside... it took 40 mins to print that label. (would be much shorter ... about 20-29 mins...  if i didn't use the enhance feature to make the print darker.)
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2006 at 06:43 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #110 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 05:51 PM »
sir space... nice one!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 06:47 PM »
sir space... nice one!

thanks... that's actually why i insisted on a lightscribe drive. nakakatuwa eh.  :P

altho, i kinda regret spending only 20 mins to design that one... mas maganda sana.  :P (if only lighscribe media was more available here... CD-Rs pa lang available sa CD-R king eh.  :-[ :-[ )

Offline BongerDude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Gonna keep on tryin til I reach my highest ground
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2006 at 04:09 PM »
Lightscribe media? Diba sir pwede sya sa kahit na anong cd?
Technics SL1200 mk2
Macbook Pro
Schiit Bifrost UberUSBgen2
JDLabs Aikido
JDLabs Monos
PSB Image B6

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2006 at 05:07 PM »
Lightscribe media? Diba sir pwede sya sa kahit na anong cd?

you can "burn" dvds on any media... but you can "burn" labels only on special lightscribe discs. they average between 65-90 pesos per DVD media. cd-r king sells lightscibe CD-Rs for 25pesos.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006 at 06:39 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »