Author Topic: Generic DVD Players Part 3  (Read 11196 times)

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Generic DVD Players Part 3
« Reply #60 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 04:54 AM »

From what I know, Skyworth DVD players are progscan capable.

Oo nga pala ano! Nakalimutan ko! Masubukan nga this weekend.

Currently kasi I have the Nextbase connected to our 54" Samsung HDTV (can do 480p, 720p, and 1080i) via component connection while the Skyworth is connected via S-Video to a 29" Toshiba CRT at standard resolution (480i). I remember kasi reading here that the image output quality of Nextbase is supposedly better than Skyworth (pero personally, I can't verify this since to my eyes parang mas claro yung Skyworth) that's why I'm using it with the HDTV. Kaya lang nasa-sayangan naman ako sa prog scan capabilities of the HDTV if the DVD player can't take advantage of it naman. So maybe I should pair the Skyworth with the HDTV?

You think I'll see an improvement in image quality if instead of the Nextbase I connect the Skyworth to the HDTV and turn on its progressive scan output? So I'll be choosing between Nextbase's supposed superior image quality versus Skyworth's untested prog scan output. Has anyone really checked the quality of Skyworth's progressive scan output ba? If the output of Extreme is no better, maybe I should just stick to the Skyworth. And for DTS maybe I'll just get a separate DTS capable receiver na lang (balak ko na rin kasi mag-upgrade ng audio eh). Ano sa tingin niyo?

Offline musichelle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
which is the best generic DVD player now?
« Reply #61 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 11:27 AM »
in terms of features and looks? i'm buying my first DVD player soon, and basing from the posts here
i think generics represent the best bang for buck (correct me if I'm wrong though). or kung meron kayong
alam na models which really disappointed you, pa-mention na rin. i think the xtreme and nextbase are good,
judging from the forum posts though.

and where i could buy them? referrals would be very much appreciated.. newbie kasi ako..
i have to admit i don't know what to look for or how to test a certain model. baka kasi maloko ako..
kaya if ever meron po kayong recommended stores to purchase the DVD players, pa-mention na lang. kung merong
stores which can offer replacement warranties, it would be better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 10:27 AM »
I'm scouting for a second player for my bedroom.  At this point, after reading through the threads, there seem to be no consensus on the BEST generic player at the moment based on the following: affordability, dependability (ability to read discs), and durability.
I'm considering the following brands: Xtreme, Nextbase, Skyworth, Kebao, Nova, and Akira. Any recommendations/comments?
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 11:50 AM »
I think you can't go wrong with NEXTBASE, ito pa rin ang "best generic" kahit kaninong store or user mo sya itanong.  Kahit sya ang pinakamahal na generic, malaki pa rin mase-save mo as compared to branded ones.

Xtreme is good also pero sabi nung ibang stores "pa-phase out" na raw ito, which is parang totoo nga kasi to date, madalang ng makita sa mga stores ang Xtreme.  Kebao and Skyworth has a strong warranty and aftersales support though featurewise medyo behind sya sa Nextbase and Xtreme.  Nova is also a good choice sana pero questionable yung durability ng appearnce ng knobs at buttons, may units kasi akong nakita na display pa lang sa stores faded na agad yung mga knobs at buttons.  May ibang stores din na nagsabi na wala or mahirap ang service center ng Nova.  I do not have info on Akira units.

Ü
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 03:21 PM »
Thanks fnvillafuerte...I used to have a Nextbase before when it was the "hot" item then and I was happy with its performance until it conked-out after only a year of abuse.  Is this really the expected lifespan of generic players? I was hoping a better player has already matched Nextbase's performance but one that is hopefully more durable.
B&W603 S3

Offline Monzki

• Collector
  • Yeboy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 04:28 PM »
The first generation/batch of Nextbase and Xtreme ang matitino, but the recent release/models are not that good anymore... madali na masira and namimili na ng discs  :-\

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 05:09 PM »
Hi Jairus:
Anu b nangyari sa dati mong Nextbase?  Tumigil or hirap bang magbasa ng discs?  If that is the case, baka marumi lang laser lens nun.  Kasi ako pag ayaw magbasa or mahirap ng magbasa, binubuksan ko ung unit at manually ko nililinis yung lens using cotton buds and 70% isopropyl alcohol.  It always works for me on all my optical audio/video devices.

Hi Monzki:
Korek ka jan, mukhang ganyan nga nagiging trend ng generics, ok ang mga unang batches, then nadedegrade na quality on new and later releases.  Latest generic to follow this trend ay yang Nova; you got a good unit with bitrate detect feature pa, but the latest batch wala na yung ganung feature, baka pati durability apektado na rin... sabagay, what do we expect, e napakamura lang kasi ng mga units na ito.  Iba pa rin talaga if we pay premium price ng branded units, we will also get premium quality.

Ü
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2005 at 05:12 PM by fnvillafuerte »
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline Monzki

• Collector
  • Yeboy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 06:44 PM »
Hi Monzki:
Korek ka jan, mukhang ganyan nga nagiging trend ng generics, ok ang mga unang batches, then nadedegrade na quality on new and later releases.  Latest generic to follow this trend ay yang Nova; you got a good unit with bitrate detect feature pa, but the latest batch wala na yung ganung feature, baka pati durability apektado na rin... sabagay, what do we expect, e napakamura lang kasi ng mga units na ito.  Iba pa rin talaga if we pay premium price ng branded units, we will also get premium quality.

Ü

Oo nga eh...  :-\  Nakow pag bumigay kaagad ang NOVA 698 ko, branded na ang next kong bibilhin na unit   :-[

Kung napaaga-aga lang post nung sa LG DK9934N DVD player w/ DivX at Ps 4.1K  :o  eh yun na lang binili ko  >:D

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Aug 16, 2005 at 09:19 AM »
Hmmmm...the LG seems to be a viable candidate from what I read from the other thread  ;D But wait, just got my Makro mail and there's this brand..Matrix D6830 on sale for only P1,699.  Anybody heard of this brand?
B&W603 S3

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #69 on: Aug 16, 2005 at 11:13 AM »
If only a slight price difference on your budget, go for Samsung or LG.  These brand has a better QC and service centers compared to the generic ones.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #70 on: Aug 16, 2005 at 04:25 PM »
Yup I agree. My Fukuda conked out and apparently the lens assembly was defective and was replaced. The motor was also changed. The warranty's good for a year  so I didn't pay for anything but I had to go to Sucat to have it repaired. Not even a service center- it's just a warehouse. Upside is that it's service while-you-wait so after an hour, they tested the unit and returned it to me. Still a hassle though.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2005 at 04:42 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re:Generic DVD Players Part 3
« Reply #71 on: Aug 16, 2005 at 04:36 PM »
Can Generic DVD players play authored DVD's?

I have a portable DVD player: AIWA XD-DW1 with LCD but i can't play all my authored DVD's.  I tried it with my PS2 and it work as well as with my PC.

Anyone knows what type of DVD player i must buy in order to play dvd authored discs. And where? thanks. Also, how much pala? thanks.

According to this:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=xd-dw1&Submit=Search&Search=Search&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25

that particular model has problems reading recordable media. So it's not on the authoring software.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 12:08 AM »
I have to agree with what others have already noticed...they don't build generic players like they used to.

Yung generic ko matagal na sa akin at kaya lang ako nag-upgrade ay dahil hirap na sya basahin ibang DVDs(iba lang, pero nakakabasa pa rin sya).

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Aug 18, 2005 at 09:51 AM »
How about the Akira brand, their prices are a bit lower than Nextbase and I've heard their tv is ok.  Any thoughts?
B&W603 S3

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Aug 18, 2005 at 11:05 AM »
How about the Akira brand, their prices are a bit lower than Nextbase and I've heard their tv is ok.  Any thoughts?

Quality same as shinco and enzer. 

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Aug 18, 2005 at 11:34 AM »
Akira's warehouse is in the same compound as Fukuda in Sucat. Kind of makes you wonder if they share OEM manufacturing lines in China.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 09:13 AM »
Quality same as shinco and enzer. 

Sorry, is that good or bad? ???
B&W603 S3

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 10:03 AM »
Sorry, is that good or bad? ???

For me, its bad. I consider shinco and enzer as disposable players.

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 09:22 AM »
I've decided on getting the Nextbase 783.  Anson's is giving it for P3,100 cash price or P3295, 0% 3-month installment ;D
B&W603 S3

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 05:19 PM »
Me and my officemate just bought the Nextbase 783 this lunchtime and availed of the 3-month installment 0% interest promo at Anson's ;D ;D ;D  I will post my impression on this player tomorrow ;D
B&W603 S3

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #80 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 06:28 PM »
I still have my 3-year SAST DVD player working but it is now choosy on discs as compared to the 1st time I bought it when it can play anything you feed it.  I only had a fan installed in it when all the DVDs it played pixellated and stopped.  Now, it is working ok on originals but on p-discs medyo mapili na.....

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #81 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 07:12 AM »
to owners: Any review of their HDCD capability please? tnx  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Bluebeard

• Collector
  • Go4it
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 07:54 AM »
My 3-yr old Nextbase 9000 is now "choosy" also but only on dvd +/-r disks