Author Topic: Maryo J. de los Reyes  (Read 4360 times)

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Maryo J. de los Reyes
« on: Jan 05, 2005 at 08:09 AM »
i've always been impressed with Direk Maryo J. de los Reyes eversince i saw his debut film... the unforgettable High School Circa '65 produced by Agrix Films and was released in 1979. he came a long way eversince. the only filmmaker i know who can make successful youth oriented films like Bagets and musical comedies such as Annie Batungbakal. even the late great Ishmael Bernal who also tried his hand in making a musical via the disastrous Good Morning Sunshine cannot hold a candle to Maryo J. i'm glad that after all these years he has reaped all of the Best Director Awards in the Philippines and even internationally for the critically acclaimed Magnifico. at least in this thread we'll be able to discuus his earlier films and even his latest ones.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Maryo J. de los Reyes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2005 at 08:16 AM »
Finally a thead for this man. Thanks.....Jo.

I was enchanted and captivated by MAGNIFICO , enjoyed also HIGH SCHOOL CIRCA 65, the ground breaking BAGETS, MGA KUWENTO NI LOLA BASYANG.

TAGOS NG DUGO had a rough sailing with the censors.

All the praises that he got from MAGNIFICO are well-deserved, his maturity as a filmmaker.

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2005 at 04:56 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2005 at 09:13 AM »
Finally a thead for this man. Thanks.....Jo.

I was enchanted and captivated by MAGNIFICO , enjoyed also HIGH SCCOOL CIRCA 65, the ground breaking BAGETS, MGA KUWENTO NI LOLA BASYANG.

TAGOS NG DUGO had a rough sailing with the censors.

All the praises that he got from MAGNIFICO are well-deserved, his maturity as a filmmaker.

you're welcome Keating! i've always wanted to have a thread for Direk Maryo J. he's a very nice person. i've met him last May when Magnifico was shown at the Tribecca Film Festival here in New York. he has tried making omnibus films such as Mga Kuwento Ni Lola Basyang and Stupid Cupid. also the controversial film Schoolgirls which was almost banned by the Board of Censors back in 1981.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2005 at 05:15 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005 at 07:48 PM »
the day i met Direk Maryo J. i had my dvd of Laman in my backpack... i wanted to ask him if he could sign it for me. he obliged and was surprised that i even had a copy of the movie on dvd. he told me he's been looking for one, as much as i wanted to give my copy i didn't. he then inscribed To Jojo, See you in the movies! Maryo J. de los Reyes. it was such a wonderful experience... meeting and talking with one of my favorte filmmakers.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2005 at 07:50 PM »
after watching Magnifico for the nth time... i never get tired of watching the movie. i realized that both Lorna Tolentino's role & Jaclyn Jose's in Naglalayag had certain similarities. i have no idea whether it was intentional on the director's part. although i must say that i very much prefer Lorna's performance 'coz Jaclyn's was somewhat over the top.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2005 at 09:56 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2005 at 01:51 PM »
the day i met Direk Maryo J. i had my dvd of Laman in my backpack

Laman is my favorite Maryo J.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2005 at 05:44 PM »
Laman is my favorite Maryo J.

it's also one of my favorites... most critics who reviewed the film had trouble with it's ending. it seems that Maryo J always seems to have trouble in resolving the problems posed by the movie... just like in Sa Ngalan Ng Pag-Ibig & Pahiram... Kahit Sandali. i haven't had the chance to read your own review of Laman though...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2005 at 09:18 PM »
More Maryo J. delos Reyes flicks that I liked......

KAPAG NAPAGOD ANG PUSO- Snooky Serna shines in this flick as the battered wife of Christopher de Leon.

HINDI MO AKO KAYANG TAPAKAN- Charo Santos as the matriarch which spans three generations. Watch out for the funeral scene wherein she threw lots of money to her children and grandchildren. This film is powerhouse!

Produced by Via Hoffman's VH FILMS. When she will return in producing movies?  ???

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2005 at 03:26 AM »
More Maryo J. delos Reyes flicks that I liked......

KAPAG NAPAGOD ANG PUSO- Snooky Serna shines in this flick as the battered wife of Christopher de Leon.

HINDI MO AKO KAYANG TAPAKAN- Charo Santos as the matriarch which spans three generations. Watch out for the funeral scene wherein she threw lots of money to her children and grandchildren. This film is powerhouse!

Produced by Via Hoffman's VH FILMS. When she will return in producing movies?  ???

i did like Kapag Napagod Ang Puso... Snooky gave a commendable performance as the battered wife. i cannot say the same for Hindi Mo Ako Kayang Tapakan. it was a Filipino version of the mini series A Woman Of Substance with Kelly Mc Gillis in the 80's. Charo Santos wasn't convincing enough, although excellent supporting performances were elicited by Chanda Romero, Gina Alajar, Liza Lorena & Joel Torre.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2005 at 02:09 PM »
i haven't had the chance to read your own review of Laman though...

Here:

LAMAN

It's not Scorpio Nights or even Boatman, and least of all Init sa Magdamag (my favorite Filipino erotic film), but it's okay...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 07:36 AM »
Here:

LAMAN

It's not Scorpio Nights or even Boatman, and least of all Init sa Magdamag (my favorite Filipino erotic film), but it's okay...

great review Noel, thanks!

i liked the movie too... unlike Red Diaries or even Bedtime Stories, both films tend to be a little too pretentious.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2005 at 06:14 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 11:12 AM »
I've seen Red Diaries. Laman has the virtue of being coherent.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007 at 09:02 PM »
I was watching again MAGNIFICO last weekend, still its one of the best drama I've ever seen. Its a tough act to follow for Maryo J. And he always shines in those youth-oriented flicks.

ANNIE BATUNGBAKAL is now on my watch list this weekend. Jojo do you have ROCK, BABY ROCK? hahaha!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007 at 09:05 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007 at 09:12 PM »
Annie Batungbakal started a trend in movie musicals back in 1979. the opening credit sequence is a must see... the animation was supervised by Nonoy Marcelo.

i did have a copy of Oscar Miranda's Rock, Baby, Rock but i gave it to my friend who can tolerate Vilma more than i can even if he also adores the Superstar...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007 at 09:16 PM »
I thought it was Maryo who also made ROCK, BABY ROCK? What was his debut film?

SAAN DARATING ANG UMAGA is still heartbreaking to see. Only dead people will not be moved and cry at the ending.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007 at 09:18 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007 at 09:27 PM »
Maryo's first fillm was High School Circa '65 followed by Gabun then Annie Batungbakal... all these films were shown in 1979.

Saan Darating Ang Umaga made me weep... it still does.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007 at 09:31 PM »
He has the heart of Brocka when it comes to sentimental movies and ask anyone who watched MAGNIFICO even those who have heart of stone will be moved by the film.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007 at 09:34 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007 at 08:32 AM »
He's pretty good as a director; my favorite Maryo J. is Laman. But he needs a good script (Michiko, etc.), or else the result can be pretty bad (Red Diaries anyone?)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007 at 11:14 AM »
His great collaborator is Jake Tordesillas, churning out pretty good ones including the greatest teen-angst flick BAGETS.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2007 at 12:52 AM »

I thank God for Maryo J. De Los Reyes.

I thank Maryo for SAAN DARATING ANG UMAGA?

The ONLY local drama that never fails to make me cry (every time I watch it) not only during the heartbreaking ending but also the scenes where Nida and Maricel is longing for Nestor after he died. So many poignant moments are captured in the movie. My mom used to tell when she watched it in the theatre before that you could hear almost everyone sobbing and blowing noses (!) while it is being shown.

GMA 7's Sine-Novela is bent on remaking it as a tv series. I'm speechless.  ???

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 2007 at 12:23 AM »
How is the Bagets reunion movie shaping up? If he can get all the principal actors back and Jake Tordesillas to write the script it should be a good one!