Author Topic: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow  (Read 10217 times)

Offline evil eye

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
« Reply #30 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:08 PM »
WTF?

I got my copy today from astro glorietta, and IT ONLY HAD ONE DISC when i opened it at home!!

The cover indicated 2 disc!  :( >:( >:( >:(

What gives? 

I am currently watching the features and it seems that everything (that was on the back cover) is in the disc.... the disc had "MOVIE" printed on it.

HELP! Did they squeeze everything into one disc only?  This is the list of features:

- 2 Commentaries
- Brave new world Chapter 1
- Brave new world Chapter 2
- The Art of the world of tomorrow
- The original 6 min short
- Deleted scenes/Gag reel
- W/S 16:9, 5.1

av_phile:

Do you have the same features in your second disc??  If you do, then I wont bother exchanging this anymore given what i went through when i bought this.  The sales ladies had no clue tthey had this dvd and were offering me the vcd instead saying that there wasnt a dvd yet.  I had to scour the displays before i found this last disc.  I then showed it to them and all i got was: "meron pala, ahihihi"

HHEEEELLLLPPP!!

Offline arahan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:10 PM »
Maybe it was mispriced because the 3 dvds has sticker of 299 and the manager at Astro SM Centerpoint was offering them to me.
you are correct, Zenki.  The HOFD that i bought today was still priced at P425.  they check their computer and they gave it to me at P299.

Offline evil eye

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:17 PM »
OT

Arahan: how is stealth? Good buy ba?  I mean, i know its 299, but...you know, ok ba?  I didnt see this in the theaters and im slightly inclined to buy it... but i've really had bad experiences with c-interactive discs (not just my most recent experience above)

Thanks bro  :)

Offline Zenki

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:18 PM »
WTF?

I got my copy today from astro glorietta, and IT ONLY HAD ONE DISC when i opened it at home!!

What gives? 

I am currently watching the features and it seems that everything (that was on the back cover) is in the disc.... the disc had "MOVIE" printed on it.

HELP! Did they squeeze everything into one disc only?  This is the list of features:

- 2 Commentaries

av_phile:

Do you have the same features in your second disc??  If you do, then I wont bother exchanging this anymore given what i went through when i bought this.  The sales ladies had no clue tthey had this dvd and were offering me the vcd instead saying that there wasnt a dvd yet.  I had to scour the displays before i found this last disc.  I then showed it to them and all i got was: "meron pala, ahihihi"

HHEEEELLLLPPP!!

Hi. Can you check if the disc is DVD9? If it is DVD9, then it's a steal for 299. Thanks.

Offline arahan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:29 PM »
OT

Arahan: how is stealth? Good buy ba?  I mean, i know its 299, but...you know, ok ba?  I didnt see this in the theaters and im slightly inclined to buy it... but i've really had bad experiences with c-interactive discs (not just my most recent experience above)

Thanks bro  :)
OT
soorry, evil eye.  did not buy the STEALTH.  i bought the HOFD

Offline evil eye

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:39 PM »
arahan: sorry MY mistake.  BTW, what's HOFD? ???

zenki:  sure but... erm, how exactly do i do that?  sorry for being so ignorant  :-[

Offline arahan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:47 PM »
HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS

Offline Zenki

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:51 PM »
arahan: sorry MY mistake.  BTW, what's HOFD? ???

zenki:  sure but... erm, how exactly do i do that?  sorry for being so ignorant  :-[

Check it thru your PC, if it is more than 5GB then it is DVD9(dual layer). Or if you will check the disc, it is DVD9 if you can see wavy thing/color in it.

Offline evil eye

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:59 PM »
zenki: CD drive is busted. no colors/wave thingee on the disc.  must be single layer then.

Offline Zenki

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 12:05 AM »
zenki: CD drive is busted. no colors/wave thingee on the disc.  must be single layer then.

Then, it's a DVD5. You should return your copy because it doesn't have the 2nd disc. Dual case ba yun nakuha mo?

Offline arahan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 12:06 AM »
or just by viewing the features if all are present and functioning, you can easily deduced that the data on the disc is more than the 5GB (including the movie, off course).   Its a steal because the blank dvd9 will cost you more than P250.  

Offline evil eye

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 12:14 AM »
zenki/arahan:

I'm getting contradictory statements from the two of you  :P

but i did state in my first post that all features SEEM (i havent gone through the entire programs, but i did open each of them) to be working. 

So i guess all im after now is...whether i got the same deal as the 2 disc version. 

thanks for your help mga bro!  ;D

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #42 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 02:13 AM »
sir evil eye, i think if all the features are there and working,i guess that dvd is dual layer,simply because it has many extras plus the length of the movie itself(or i maybe wrong? ).But i havent seen sky captain and the world of tomorrow (@299)in a single disc like yours. All are 2disc,single layer(based on other c-interactive releases).disc 1 contain the movie itself and the special/added bonus/features extras are on the 2nd disc. may  inserts din po ba yan sir?

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 09:45 AM »
WTF?

What gives? 

- 2 Commentaries

av_phile:

HHEEEELLLLPPP!!

That's interesting.  What I got was 2-disc.  The special features you listed looks familiar but I haven't checked the special features contents thoroughly and will get back to you on this.

Offline evil eye

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 09:55 AM »
sir evil eye, i think if all the features are there and working,i guess that dvd is dual layer,simply because it has many extras plus the length of the movie itself(or i maybe wrong? ).But i havent seen sky captain and the world of tomorrow (@299)in a single disc like yours. All are 2disc,single layer(based on other c-interactive releases).disc 1 contain the movie itself and the special/added bonus/features extras are on the 2nd disc. may  inserts din po ba yan sir?

May inserts po. Complete yung features and movie all in that one disc. may subtitle pa yung documentaries. I watched the movie and intact naman hanggang dulo...

...and i was actually impressed by the quality as compared to other c-interactive dvds i got.

Wow, if this was a mistake in production or what....blessing in disguise! ;D  sana lang I didnt miss any features...so i'm waiting for the feedback of those who have the 2 disc  :-\

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 10:12 AM »
Can anyone confirm if Stealth is dual layer at P299?

I will be getting one if it is. TY.

Offline casanegro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "Manos", The Hands of Fate
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 10:12 AM »
What the F...??  >:( It seems evil eye got an R1 copy!!! It seems you really got an evil eye  ;D

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #47 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 10:35 AM »
Can anyone confirm if Stealth is dual layer at P299?

I will be getting one if it is. TY.

ey matz, not sure! i saw this local dvd last night.  all i can say is ang pangit ng case, talo pa yata ng p*rated yung quality ng printout ng label.  puro smear at ang labo.   but for 475 (yata) ok na compared to r1 na sa november pa yata ang release.  may dts din kaso single disc lang.  kung atat ka na mapanood, bili ka na mura kasi tapos ipamigay mo na lang sa x'mas ehehe

nga pala ot, this belongs to a different thread.  pakilipat na lang
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2005 at 10:36 AM by krets pulpol »
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline evil eye

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 11:34 PM »
What the F...??  >:( It seems evil eye got an R1 copy!!! It seems you really got an evil eye  ;D

Haha, di naman siguro R1...maybe they wanted to cut cost on having 2 DVDs so they decided to squeeze everythin into one (or the other way around kung mas expensive yung DVD9 or dual layer)...  i kinda felt it was an old stock pa nga kasi i had to really look at the entire display to find this one, and it was beside old DVDs.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 10:07 AM »
I must apologize to all with my earlier posts on this title.  I must have been confused with the Phantom Of The Opera(also C-interactive) and Blade Trinity DVDs that we watched last weekend. Both are 2 discs.  The Sky Captain in NOT 2 disc, but single disc.     And the erroneous "2-disc special edition" bannered on the case must have added to my false impression.  Really sorry about my confusion. 

I checked the disc last night.  It's just SINGLE layer with around 4.5 GB as read in my PC, with all the special features indicated at the back.  The video bit stream read mostly around 2.5 mbps, the lowest at 1.3mbps and the highest at 4.8mbps - definitely below the average of 4 to 5mbps you can find in many DVD9s. 

Again, my apologies.  I take back what I said that this is a good value disc.  But there's little to complain about the quality at the price.  The video is definitely not  showcase material.  And like I said, I am not exactly pleased with the colors and visual treatment of the film which I think was deliberately made to look diffused, glowy in the bright areas, high contrast with nearly sepia overtones and thus look vintage as the film is set in the 40s, I think.   If you have the p-dvd stuff and is just interested in the movie, look no farther.  Though the added features make it worth 299.  The sound OTH is fine as the LFE and surround channels are quite active. 

PS.  I think this is another symptom of having too many DVDs,  ;D when you can't anymore remember if what you have is 2-disc or just single.  Again, my apologies. 

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 12:38 PM »
There were some R3 releases in other countries before like the one in HK where the DVD had a model plane that came with it. Could somebody mention here if the video/audio quality of that R3 version is the same one that we have here which sells at 299?

Baka kasi matuloy ako sa HK sa Nov, and that R3 version of Sky Captain is really one of my targets there. Pero kung same quality lang nung nandito, e dito na lang syempre. mas mura pa
Picture quality over plot

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 03:11 PM »
Baka kasi matuloy ako sa HK sa Nov, and that R3 version of Sky Captain is really one of my targets there. Pero kung same quality lang nung nandito, e dito na lang syempre. mas mura pa

I don't have the local release but I have the HK version. Based on sir av_phile1's review, I must say that the HK version is superior in all aspects to the local release. From the packaging, the special features, the model plane, and the quality of the DVD itself. I have to disagree though with sir av_phile's displeasure over the deliberate sepia and diffused glow treatment of the film. I kind of like it. Very film noir. The sound is superb for the HK version. DTS-ES, I think. I suggest you take advantage of your HK trip and buy this title there.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 06:14 PM »
The local version won't even load in my player.  >:(
Good luck to those who want to buy this.

Offline DMedia Interactive

• Apprentice
  • Now every can Dream!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 10:17 PM »
Ipapalabas na to sa HBO next WEEK!!!
http://www.fta-pinoy.tk

Watch unlimited satellite entertainment!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 09:56 AM »
Walang surrounds & subs pag HBO  ;D

Offline DMedia Interactive

• Apprentice
  • Now every can Dream!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 05:36 PM »
Walang surrounds & subs pag HBO  ;D

Im using DREAM Satellite TV may stereo sound yun. :D ;)
http://www.fta-pinoy.tk

Watch unlimited satellite entertainment!

Offline Kaiser Soze

• Collector
  • A pitiless, psycho, craped-up butcher.
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 14, 2005 at 10:45 AM »
Can anyone clear something up for me?  I'm in HK right now until Thursday.  I saw the Sky Captain DVD, it's in a slipcase.  It's priced at $HK89.  Is this any better (picture quality and sound) than the Philippine version?  I don't think this is the collector's edition because there's no indication on the box.

Get the HK edition by all means. Better packaging plus DTS track. AFAIK, the main disc for the local release is in DVD5 only. The HK release main disc is in DVD9.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 14, 2005 at 12:46 PM »
Can anyone clear something up for me?  I'm in HK right now until Thursday.  I saw the Sky Captain DVD, it's in a slipcase.  It's priced at $HK89.  Is this any better (picture quality and sound) than the Philippine version?  I don't think this is the collector's edition because there's no indication on the box.

The one with DTS track costs HK$ 115 last April at HMV. HK$89 is not bad if its got DTS track. 

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 14, 2005 at 01:02 PM »
i think the one costing HK$115 is the one with the plane model. maybe the HK$89 version is the regular one. If the model plane is the only difference, I'd go for the cheaper version.

i'll be there in 2 weeks, i'm gonna buy one for sure  ;)
Picture quality over plot

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 10:04 AM »
I saw 2 version here in HK so far.  The one marked 'collector's edition' is $200.  The other one is $89.  I don't want to spend $200, so I'm just focusing on the $89 one.  The $89 version is on a slipcase but the box didn't say if it's DTS.  It didn't even list if it has any bonus features.  Bonus feature isn't important to me, but picture quality and sound quality is.

I thought Philippines has 2 version of Sky Captain?  The P299 cheap version and the regular DVD9 version?

Speaking of which, I saw Casshern here also.  Are they releasing one with english dub?