Author Topic: Flat Panel Reviews Thread  (Read 42720 times)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Flat Panel Reviews Thread
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2010 at 02:19 PM »
32" Panel Shoot-out!
Posted Carlo777
February 2010

Panels:
LG 32LH35
Panasonic 32C10
Toshiba 32RV600
Samsung 32B350

Round 1: DVD

Source: Toshiba XDE-500

Resolution: 720p (HDMI Auto) XDE mode off

Movie: I'm Legend (Opening scene)

LG32LH35

Good display of colors, a bit on the bright side but nonetheless a well rendered picture! The scene were the Shelby fires across the empty streets of New York was done with no noticeable blur.

Toshiba 32RV600

Very good colors, and with a Dynamic mode you can actually watch! The entire picture was very pleasing to the eye, however, upon close look a very very mild motion blur was seen. (I'll have to check this again)

Panasonic 32C10x2

The colors were ok when the unit was viewed as a stand alone, when you put the C10 close to the Toshiba and The LG, the over-all picture of the C10 becomes a mixed bag. The C10 seems to be on the middle ground but it was not (IMHO) as good as the Tosh and the LG. Some grainy picture rendition was seen...no noticeable blur on the C10

Samsung 32B350

Overly bright and pale colors makes this unit the weakest thus far...

Round 2: Blu-Ray

Source: PS3 Movie: Transformers Chapter 18

Resolution: 720p

LGLH35:

Very good colors, smooth motion flow with no hints of slowdown, still the somewhat bright nature of this unit may turn off peeps with very sensitive eyes. Great view, however, from top to bottom.

Toshiba 32RV600:

Best color rendition so far! Detailed definition that was very pleasing to the eye. Again, very minor blur was seen during rapid mech transformation.

Panasonic 32C10:

Good colors with no slowdown or blur, but the picture was not as well defined as the LG or the Toshiba. Some picture noise was seen during playback.

Samsung 32B350:

Overly bright picture with a somewhat pale definition of color, the unit however, was not as grainy as the C10 and motion flow was smooth for the most part.

Round 3: Games-PS3

Resolution 720p, Street Fighter 4

LGLH35

Very good input response time with no hint of motion blur. Colors remain vivid and yet again, a bit on the bright side at time.

Toshiba 32RV600

Game picture mode gave off the best colors, no blurs were seen bec. this was a fighting game. We do however, suspect mild blurs when we go first person with a shooter (as seen with the 42 inch version of the RV600)

Panasonic 32C10

Game input response was spot on, however, compared to the LG and the Toshiba, colors for some parts were darker and a bit saturated.

Samsung  32B350

Tsk! Again overly bright to a point were colors seem to "pale out", input response time was a joy along with a speedy flow that exhibited no blurs whatsoever.

Conclusion:Final Take:

LGLH35:

For this bunch, the best all-around performer would be the LGLH35, though colors may not be as spanky as Toshiba. The smooth flow more than makes up for it. It's actually a fine alternative to the equally good LH70. The only downside to the model is the bright picture that compromises the colors, but that's just a tiny little bit.

Toshiba 32RV600:

Picture quality and colors that are very good, it's a very close second to the LH35. Almost like a coin toss situation, the RV600 even has a Dynamic mode you can actually watch! I'm pretty particular with motion blur, hence the reason why this unit clocked in at a very close second. However, if you're not bothered by the mild blur and if you watch at a good 5-6 feet away this could even be the winner for you Wink

Panasonic 32C10:

A good entry level unit with fair picture quality, and a very good price to boot. If you don't mind a somewhat grainy look, and if you're simply looking for a secondary 720p native unit then you could give the C10 another look. A good unit that comes in at 3rd place for me!

Samsung 32B350:

I'm quite disappointed by this particular unit, as it was overly bright and with colors that come off as pale. If you want a good entry level LCD there are probably other brands you could look at.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 31, 2010 at 11:37 AM »
Panasonic 42V20 Plasma
July 2010
by Carlo777

DVD:

Plugging a Toshiba XDE 500 via an Ixos HDMI (set to 1080p) and playing "The Day After Tomorrow". The V20 presented a soft picture but with very good colors. Comparing the V20 to my G11 becomes a mixed bag, those who prefer sharper pictures with more aggressive colors will prefer the later. The V20, on the other hand may be on the softer side, but I'd prefer it over the G11 because it's "True Cinema" settings will give you an "out of the box" cinema feel with more accurate colors.

Blu-Ray:

Blu-ray has never been this good, the V20 is the plasma of choice for the blue laser! Pictures were razor sharp, and fast scenes were depicted with no signs of slowdown or blur. The advertised 1080 moving resolution gives you detail per detail at full 1080p everytime all the time (at least for my eyes). Film grain and grit were rendered in a fashion that preserves the theatrical pomp of a blockbuster without being too overbearing.

Testing movies like the "Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans" and "The Dark Knight Returns", I didn't  notice any "fluctuating blacks". Not that the V20 is free of the issue, it's just that at testing, I was not able to see them. If it were there, it could have been so subtle... that you couldn't really spot them during regular viewing.

Blacks from the V20 is the most generous of all plasma models I had the pleasure of owning. And this translates to the best plasma for high definition movies to date.

IFC/24p:

Activating 24p from a High definition source like the PS3, will enable the V20 to go into "24p" mode. This mode will give you silky smooth pictures, almost like handy cam shots! Though judder is effectively eliminated; visual artifacts like flickers and some screen tearing were observed. This has always been a problem of 24p playback that stretches all the way back to the PV80/PY800. It hasn't been fixed, and will still advise people to stay away from these features.

Console gaming:

Playing MGS5 a native 1080p game on the PS3, and with the V20's game mode activated delivered spot-on input response time backed with very rich colors. Panasonic attempts to court gamers into their plasma format by giving you nearly the best of both worlds for gaming, namely - speedy response time with excellent picture quality to boot!

The green phosphor lag, however, is still present, and sensitive individuals can still make them out during vicious first person pans. I've been on the plasma format long enough to no longer be bothered by this issue, but it seems there is no workaround for this "problem" in the foreseeable future.

Image retention:

Now, unlike the C10,S10 and the Panny G11, the V20 seems to be more prone to this plasma limitation! Just a few minutes of gaming produced evident ghosting just like the old PV80. A flip to new content, however, washed it away quickly. Let's not be alarmed by this, simply because my V20 is still fresh off the pan, and may need to go thru with the 100 hours break-in period.

Resolution enhancer:

The Panasonic V20 boasts of a feature called "Resolution enhancer", according to the product manual it...

"Enhances resolution to make images sharper".

Testing it on DVD does not seem to make a lot of difference, however, with gritty movies on Blu-Ray like "Bram Stokers: Dracula" and the classic "Clash of the Titans" you could see these images sharpen to improve over-all picture.

THX mode/True Cinema:

Yes, there is no THX mode on this unit but it was well covered by a picture setting called "True Cinema". "True Cinema" brings you closer to that ever elusive "movie" rendition that is warm to the eye and with colors that are rich and deep. Blacks seem even more gorgeous with this setting kept on for both Blu-Ray and dvd. The perfect settings for those with dimmer lighting environments! (Picture on reply#65 was set on True-Cinema and Resolution enhancer set to mid)

Cable (Sky at Standard)

Cable seems to be sharper on the C10 over this particular model. Not that the V20 projects a bad cable T.V picture, it's actually very good! Better than any LCD I've tested so far, it's just that defining a softer over-all standard definition picture is not "picture perfect" for grainy cable connections - not the V20's fault.

Sound:

I'm not into thumping sound effects, and don't even care about epic soundtracks and the sort...Heck I don't even like music to begin with, and my car radio to this day remains unused...But this much I can say - The V20 and it's immediate predecessors like the C10 and S10 can't really compare favorably to the thud and thump of the PY800 and it's BBE-VIVA sound.

The "Kuro" factor:

The V20 esp in "True-Cinema" mode and your High-Def source (PS3) on FULL RGB will bring you as close to the Kuro as possible. Blacks become very deep, rich and gorgeous but without the "black crush" effect that lingers around the Pioneer 8XG. It's that good! And for some in my T.V ridden place - The V20 fares even better!

However, let's not get too excited here, bringing the V20 to "True Cinema" coupled with "FULL RGB" now displays the infamous "floating blacks". At the opening scene of Batman: The Dark Knight, right after the D.C logo, you'll see the symbol of the bat emerge from a cloud of blue flame, and there I noticed a very slight contrast change, that's harder to see if your source is to "Limited RGB". That said, it's still too feint for you to really give it much attention.

Long and short: If you want a Pioneer Kuro performance without the hitch, then buy a Kuro! - Simple huh?

24p/IFC revisited:

I few posts back I observed that the V20 introduces flickering and tearing with 24p/IFC activated. Yes, this is very true: just look at the opening scene of the dark knight, when the camera pans closer to the panoramic IMAX shot of Gotham's buildings! Now, to fix this issue, I noticed that when you activate 24p from your HD source, the V20 automatically activates the "24p smooth film". Now this feature combines both 24p and IFC at the same time causing more artifacts like the one I just mentioned.

To counter this, make sure when you have either 24p on and IFC off and not to have them both at the same time. Switch-off "24p smooth film" from the T.V and just let the vanilla 24p from your source run the movie, and there you go! A smoother and now, very very cinematic experience minus the handy cam look and the added mush.

Conclusion:

Panasonic continues to woe us with flashy new plasma models every year, each with it's own unique capabilities or just re-hashes of old technology. Makes you wonder, if there's still a quantum leap in improvement for the technology despite new offerings. The V20 is a price friendly FULL HD plasma and what the S10 or the PY800 should have been. Picture quality remains strong especially on the HD side, dvd and cable seems to have taken a back seat, but that's purely subjective.

Truly, one of the stronger if not the strongest HD offering this year.

Pro's
+Very strong HD/NMT/Blu-ray performance
+Deep and gorgeous blacks
+Accurate color rendition
+"True Cinema" gives you near picture perfect viewing
+Game mode is spot on with superb picture quality and fast input response time
+Well priced

Con's
-High susceptibility to Image Retention
-Mild contrast fluctuation
-Soft SD/Cable broadcast.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 09:22 AM »
COMPARO LG LE5500 vs Samsung C4000 vs Samsung C550
Posted by Carlo777
October 2010

Blu-Ray:

LG LE5500

Testing the LE5500 with a PS3 set to 1080p and playing "Rocky Balboa". This model gave off the best picture of the bunch! Lively colors, vibrant pictures, very good blacks for a non plasma based system, and with excellent motion handling.

Samsung C4000

Good picture quality although a bit jaggy at times, however, for a Sammy model - The colors of the C4000 were not as overly bright as I expeted it to be. The fast car scene from the "get go" chapter of the movie "I am Legend" was handled well.

Samsung C550

Not really a titanic upgrade from it's older brother the A550, the picture rendition of the C550 appears a bit dated for me. This may have been acceptable 2 years ago but the "all bright...all shine" with somewhat pale colors may not win over more discerning customers with better models to choose from this year.

DVD:

LG LE5500

Clearly, the best performer of the bunch for DVD, though still not a "plasma like" performance but picture detail is less fuzzy and better defined over the C4000 and the C550

Samsung C4000

Good colors, but quite jaggy at times esp when upscaled to 1080p.

Samsung C550

Full HD gives razor sharp images, but then again, being too bright that gives you a mixture of pale colors and unnatural shades.

Screen uniformity:

LG LE5500

Very good with very little unevenness, and clouding. Way better than the LG 460, if that's what you guys want to know (at least when I saw it at SnS).

Samsung C4000

Also good with less clouds, though I saw a somewhat bright upper left hand edge.

Samsung C550

Just as good as the C4000

PS3:

I'll cut this short by saying that the LED LGLE5500 was the best performer given that it had no visible blurs yet it maintained the best picture quality over-all. The Samsung models were speedy as well, but the colors in "game mode" seem a bit pale for me.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 09:32 AM »
Toshiba LED XL700
Posted by Carlo777
September 2010

DVD/Blu ray (no enhancement):

Testing the XL700 with a Toshiba XDE500, playing "The Village", we saw this LED bring out lively and vibrant colors. Unlike most LED displays we've tested, the XL700 does not give you eyestrains and is a pleasure to watch! Blu-Ray performance was equally strong, with detail per detail, well resolved, and with a fine digital crispiness you'd expect from the technology. Without any form of motion enhancements, the XL700 was able to handle fast scenes from our favorite "The Transformers" Blu-Ray test disc with no signs of motion blur or pixelations.

Screen Uniformity:

One of my peeves when it comes to any platform that is not of Plasma is the annoying screen clouding that plagues your fine set. The LX700, reminds me of our uber expensive Sony X450, with a panel that is nearly free of this issue! Shutting off all the lights, and leaving it on a blank screen - I saw very very minimal screen clouding, and I'd like to say...it may not have more than one isolated spot or two. Perhaps my somewhat "biased" eye is trying desperately to find more faults in this area.

Cable:

I was very curious about this "Auto-Cable Booster" from Toshiba, that despite the fact, I was not going to use this set for regular programs (initially) I just tested it anyway. The auto-channel was not the most accurate in the world, not only does it screw up the positions (as expected), but it always misses HBO or Star movies! You can't have them both, unless you do manual channeling. The manual tuning was pretty straight forward but was very time consuming...half way thru the operations I simply canceled it, as it will take too much of my time.

The results, however, was surprising! This "Auto-Cable Booster" really does work in giving you crisper cable views that I did not really expect. Most likely, I'll continue with the channeling all day today (bummer!).

Looking good Tosh! Looking very good ;)

PS3:

The main reason why I got the XL700, PS3 gaming was a blast! Most T.Vs display a dark picture when you set the PS3 to full rgb, but with this Toshiba - Blacks are hardly crushed with just a few minor adjustments, and of course input lag was non-existent.

No ghosting or motion blur was present during fast pans of FPS games.

Offline rubenpp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: Oct 11, 2011 at 12:42 AM »

Offline hitman531ph

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • All About The Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 12, 2013 at 03:00 PM »
Konzert Pioneer Inkel Sony Wharfedale NAD

Offline Jayem Ares

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 03:58 PM »
ano ang dapat na formAt ng usb flash na pang test ng movie sa led tv? naka fat32 yun nabili kong flash disk.

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 11:16 PM »
ano ang dapat na formAt ng usb flash na pang test ng movie sa led tv? naka fat32 yun nabili kong flash disk.

On most panels sold these days, the file system format on your USB device will work with either FAT32 or NTFS. With NTFS, you can play big file sizes over 4GB.