Author Topic: scratches  (Read 3682 times)

Offline tanrover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
scratches
« on: Feb 11, 2005 at 10:04 AM »
What causes scratches on DVDs?   >:( I do take care of my discs(R1, R2, R3 & xbox games) but i've noticed that although most are flawless, some have scratches.

Is it the tray from the player, the hub from the case, or the slot loading player(as in the macintosh), or just the disc quality?

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: scratches
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2005 at 11:04 AM »
Inadvertantly, some scratches can develop even if the discs are well cared for, properly handled at the rim and stored in their keepcases when not in use. 

It's possible that there could be some dirt on the player tray that could minutely scratch the disc when placed in it for playback.   Or if it went lose inside the keepcase so that it may rub with the plastic parts to get some scratches. The disc almost always rotates inside the keepcase that could rub against some dirt or part of the keepcase, expecially if the keepcase has uneven surface. Or even the cloth that you use to clean it may have some dirt that can scratch the surface a bit. 

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2005 at 11:48 AM »
I doubt if scratches can be caused by the player's tray.  Notice that trays are not flat but have an elevated edge. This design ensures that only the edge of the disc comes into contact with the tray, allowing some clearance for the disc's data surface.

Question for Boss av_phile1:

My Pioneer 270 has recently caused scratches on my DVDs. It looks like some internal part of my player came into contact with the disc while the said disc was spinning.  It's a single clean scratch, a perfect concentric arc, located about 1cm. from the outer edge, about 4 cm. long.

It's already happened on 4 of my discs, so I'll have to get it serviced.

What do you think is wrong with my player?

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2005 at 12:00 PM »
Any Slot loading cd/dvd player will cause scratches as part of the disc will get into contact with the slot thereby causing the scratch. Happens to any disc that i load to my car stereo. Never experience a scratch from a tray type player except for one time when the lens was damaged.

Offline vic12

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2005 at 07:06 PM »
normal lang ba na nagagasgas ang dvds after watching them? i noticed lang na nagkaka small scratches sa edge yung dvds ko after taking them out of the player. what should i do?

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2006 at 03:50 AM »
Sometimes, poor cases can be a cause.  I had a pair of DVDS which were scratched by the case.  The fact, that it is in it's original case makes it annoying.  At first, I thought it was my player but it doesn't happened to other DVD I played.  But upon closer infection, I found out that the case (it was a digipak style case) where the plastic moulding leave some bubbles, and that's what cause the scratches.   
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline coolestboy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2006 at 04:45 PM »
mga bossing...whats the best way to do if you find smudges on the dvd like your kid inadvertently left his thumbmark on the dvd...how to wipe it clean....minsan kasi pag wipe ko using my panyo...nagkaroon ng scratch...(hairline lang naman).....

Offline fpy

• Apprentice
  • cddvdrescue.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2006 at 01:39 PM »
Dry wiping any disc is a surefire way to cause scratches; acrylics, polycarbonates and any other plastic is pretty susceptible to scratching despite care. Use a fine blower brush to blast off dust.  Try using a cotton ball dampened with purified or distilled (not mineral) water to wipe off smudges. do it gently though and make sure your cotton is not sopping wet. careful, if your disc surface has some small holes, liquid may penetrate the protective layer.