Author Topic: Society of Film Archivist  (Read 13654 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Society of Film Archivist
« Reply #30 on: Jun 12, 2005 at 03:16 AM »
guys how do i post pictures ...
i can't find any button pertaining to image...tnx

if you have tons of pics, i suggest you provide us a link (on a photo server) that we can click na lang. it's easier than to incorporate images directly into the site  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #31 on: Jun 12, 2005 at 08:59 AM »
Yahoo has an okay service for photo albums.

And you can link to it using this:

<url=http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/noelmoviereviews/message/470>KING KONG 1933</url>

Just replace < and > using [ and ]
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2005 at 09:00 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline diabolik

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 12, 2005 at 05:14 PM »
hirap pala...
i'll find a some way na lang to post  them...

thanks guys...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 13, 2005 at 08:53 AM »
What I do is just copy it down in a Word file somewhere, then cut and paste it when necessary.

Or just highlight the web address then click on the URL button when you post. Y'know, the button with the globe on it.

Yahoo photos is only one of many--I'm sure hotmail and google have their own. The good thing about having online photo albums is that you can send out invites to view them to all your friends, kaya learning how to put pictures online is a good investment, more or less.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2005 at 08:57 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jun 13, 2005 at 01:14 PM »
hirap pala...
i'll find a some way na lang to post  them...

thanks guys...

Try and try......its a pity if we don't see your movie collections dude. I'm very much interested to see it.  :)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 10:47 AM »
i've met someone at the Filipino Film Festival here in New York (i won't mention his name) who gave me lobby cards from movies of the 80's. he told me that the MTRCB office were just going to throw them away. fortunately he gave some of those still photos to me. i asked Herky de Mundo, Doy's brother if SOFIA knew about it,  he told me he'll ask Doy. hope they are 'coz these lobby cards and posters of classic Filipino movies must be saved,  kept and archived.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2005 at 10:49 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 08:40 PM »
Even in online auctions like Ebay, you can never find a rare Filipino memorabilia.

I only have Unfaithful Wife poster on my collection, the Ana Marie Gutierrez flick, the rest are all Hollywood memorabilia from the 80's.

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Radix Lecti (Couch Potato)
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 08:56 PM »
Thanks for the link Bro Noel. Am still looking for your book. I'm taking up my Master's in Film right now and it would be a handy reading.

Diabolik... I really hope we could view the films in your collection.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 09:01 PM »
Try Dateline Bookshop & Vintage Pop in Marikina Shoe Expo in Cubao. RMN saw two copies there.

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 09:04 PM »
Thanks keating!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 09:13 PM »
Welcome diamond. This week probably I'll visit those vintage shops and look also for Noel's book.  :)

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 09:29 PM »
Magtira ka para sa akin bosing. hehehehe

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 09:38 PM »
Don't worry dude, I will.  ;D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 09:52 PM »
AS far a image hosting is concerned, Photobucket.com is, to me, excellent.

I can't wait to see your collection...

Oh, yeah, Danny Dolor also has an impressive collection of local film memorabilia.

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jun 15, 2005 at 02:13 PM »
This just in.

Good friend Lav Diaz has just delivered 18 copies of Noel Vera's book to Dateline Bookshop in Cubao. I bought one copy na. Hoping to have it signed by the author.

Sori. OT na.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2005 at 05:00 PM by diamond »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 15, 2005 at 08:51 PM »
Good for you, man.

Let Noel sign it .  8)
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2005 at 09:26 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 10:04 PM »
Thanks for the memories

First posted 09:28pm (Mla time) June 15, 2005
By Bayani San Diego Jr.
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on Page A26 of the June 16, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

MOVIE stars of the 1940s and '50s are trooping to the LVN Studios on P. Tuazon in Quezon City, to retrieve vintage photographs and have their classic movies copied on VHS tapes.

Recently, respected industry pioneers Lilia Dizon, Armando Goyena, and Delia Razon visited their old home studio, whose film processing facilities cease operations on June 30.

Razon ordered stills, as well as tapes of "Prinsipe Teñoso," "Doce Pares," and "Lapulapu."

Razon is pretty organized-her collection of photos is neatly stored in heavy-duty plastic albums and labeled according to film. She has also indicated co-stars' and directors' names, and the years the movies were released.

"I've collected these stills through the years," she tells Inquirer Entertainment. "On the first page of every album, I always put a portrait of Doña Sisang [Narcisa de Leon, LVN matriarch and founder]."

Razon says former colleagues who have secured such precious souvenirs include Lorna  Mirasol, Oscar Obligacion, Luz Valdez, and Caridad Sanchez.

Christopher's mom

Dizon got tapes of two of her films-1948's "Kaaway ng Babae" and 1951's "Haring Kobra"-and stills from "Kandilerong Pilak," "Tucy Dides," "Doce Pares," and "Magkumpareng Putik."

She ordered three copies of a still photo from "Philippine Navy," which topbilled Goyena, Carlos Salazar, and her late husband Gil de Leon.

"I'm going to give a copy each to my children Pinky, Christopher, and Melissa," she says.

Dizon is not content with her haul and is planning to return for more. "I am looking for 'Bathaluman,'" she says.

In a previous interview, Rosa Rosal expressed concern about the fate of LVN's extensive catalogue of films and priceless collection of photographs and other memorabilia.

"What are their plans for the LVN museum?" Rosal wondered.

Her question is echoed throughout the industry.

"We really don't know," Razon says. "I've been asking around, but no one knows."

"The late Bernard Fernandez was in charge of the museum," another LVN alumni, Caridad Sanchez, volunteers. "He took good care of all the memorabilia. The museum should be maintained in honor of his memory."

Razon and Dizon have expressed sadness over the sorry state of film preservation in the country.

"My dramatic highlight in 'Luksang Tagumpay' disappeared," Razon sighs.

She recalls that, in the '70s, when GMA 7, then owned by Bob Stewart, borrowed LVN classics, the films were cut up to accommodate commercials. The excised scenes were never restored.

Melted for silver?

Another story often repeated in industry circles is how certain masterpieces were melted to get the silver in the old film stock. "I don't know how much that silver was, but they would probably be making more money [now] if they preserved those films instead," says Dizon, who starred in De Leon's "Sanda Wong."

If only they knew what was coming, Dizon and Razon say, they would have moved heaven and earth to protect their old movies.

"I did three movies for Tamaraw, an independent production company, and I know that it sold its movies to Hong Kong," Dizon says. "I hope there are copies of those somewhere in China."
Which is not far-fetched since, recently, a print of the original "Darna," with Rosa del Rosario, surfaced in Thailand.

Next stop for Razon and Dizon is the Tropicana photo studio in Malabon.

"I was told by my son Christopher that Tropicana had an exhibit at the Cultural Center of the Philippines and my glamour portraits were displayed," Dizon relates. "I remember Tropicana had this huge picture of me and it was displayed in a theater lobby.""It was bigger than life-size and it was from 'Ikaw ang Buhay Ko,'" Razon points out. "I remember it distinctly; she was in a black sequined dress."

Dizon is surprised by Razon's sharp memory.

"What we hear, we store in a filing cabinet in our brain," Razon insists.

Because in the end, she and Dizon agree, "All we have are our memories."

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 10:07 PM »
diabolik,

sent you a PM :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 10:20 PM »
SANDA WONG was restored by SOFIA and was shown at Pelikula at Lipunan a few years back.

I'll ask my former classmate in high school, Deda Cruz, her family owns the Tropicana Studio in my hometown in Malabon regarding those old photos. Looks like they owned hundreds of vintage stills and photographs of stars of the Golden Age era.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jun 30, 2005 at 05:41 PM »
Just saw the Eyewitness docu regarding the long lost print of the first Darna in Philippine Cinema which was found in Bangkok, Thailand. Very informative, Thailand has its own Film Archive where they can restore and preserve their own films in an air conditioned room! Its a pity that our own films can be found in other countries.

Along the way film historians composed of Nick de Ocampo, Cesar Hernando & Teddy Co were debating regarding Darna. The film itself was mainly focused on Valentina the famous villain. Was the masterprint excised already?

Two other fantasy films were found there...the first Dyesebel and the other LVN flick.

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 30, 2005 at 07:06 PM »
I hope we can do something to help archive our film treasures.

Any ideas how we can help?

Offline diabolik

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 01, 2005 at 11:39 AM »
i don't think we can expect anything from the government in terms of archiving our
films, what with the constant bickering for fame and power and fortune, the crab mentality
and the total disregard for culture and arts-wala kasi silang kikitain dyan e...

i have in the past tried to seek the help of people in the govt but it was very frustrating...
i believe the solutions now lie with us private individuals and concerned citizen...
the problem is funding...
it takes a lot of dough to mount something like this...

i've lived in thailand in the 80's and i can say that these people have a grasp on their cultre and the government is very supportive...

dito we can just wish...and try to do our own small parts...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 01, 2005 at 09:42 PM »
The former First Lady Imelda Marcos was the patron of culture and arts during their time. Because of her "artsy kapritso" Manila Film Center, CCP & Folk Arts Theatre were born.

I wish we had Imelda now......there were many plans during the ECP days, premiere screenings, seminars, script writing workshops and of course film preservation is included.

But because of political upheaval and ECP can no longer recoup their investment.....all the plans were never materialize.  :(
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2005 at 09:45 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 03, 2005 at 12:25 AM »
diabolik: you tried SOFIA? Teddy Co perhaps?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 03, 2005 at 11:57 AM »
Diabolik can get in touch also with Doy del Mundo since he is the current President of SOFIA.

OT.......Doy del Mundo has a film in the can already to be shown on Cinemalaya at the CCP this month.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 05:30 PM »
diabolik: you tried SOFIA? Teddy Co perhaps?

Or me?  :D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 10:04 PM »
Or me?  :D

Dude are you part of the SOFIA now?  8)

Offline diabolik

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 10:13 AM »
i've tried sofia in the past...not interested.... :(

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 01:52 PM »
You're not interested or they're not interested? We're talking film prints here, right? From before the 1930's?

Offline Astroantiquity

• Collector
  • "Get Off the Internet!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 10:29 PM »
I thought Unitel will release a remastered version of Himala?  Now, they got to release Magnifico (argh!), but where are the classics?  I saw Oro Plata Mata from WOWOW, and it seems like they cleaned up the copy.  Oh, those japanese folks, they'll watch anything (I actually admire them for that...  they have LD copies of movies which can't be found anywhere else... although, the annoying optical fogging appears whenever nudity is present).
There's nothing gratuitous about my films. --Dario Argento