Author Topic: Ben-Hur: Four-Disc Collector's Edition - September 2005  (Read 1643 times)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ben-Hur: Four-Disc Collector's Edition - September 2005
« on: Feb 19, 2005 at 11:41 PM »

Ben-Hur: Four-Disc Collector's Edition September 2005

Special Features are scheduled to include:
*Original 1925 silent film version of Ben-Hur
*All new documentary on Ben-Hur: Ben-Hur Revisited
*Scene specific commentary by Charlton Heston
*Collectible Souvenir Booklet, reprinted from original theatrical program
*Documentary - The Making of an Epic
*Screen tests
*Photo Gallery
*Theatrical Trailers

from http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226720

8)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Ben-Hur: Four-Disc Collector's Edition - September 2005
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2005 at 07:25 AM »
this is another great classic worthy of a multi-disc release, it's about time the film studios put more efforts & special attention to these all-time favorite classics.....i just hope it will also undergo warner's "ultra high resolution process" in remastering its video & audio transfers, the same process it gave to the newly released Gone With The Wind, 4-Disc Collector's Edition, am crossing my fingers ::)......thanks again for the heads up, sir hemisphere 8)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2005 at 11:35 AM »
i have been waiting for the multiple discs release of this title. after watching AFI 100 Movies, i became eager and was about to buy the single disc dvd. buti na lang nakapagpigil. nag Spartacus Criterion muna ako.

from what i have read..  American in Paris would also be out this year in a Four-Discs-Collector's Edition. :)

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 01:35 AM »
WOW.Another special 4 discs release for WARNER after GWTW. :)
I thought that the previous release is enough for me.  Its one of my first dvd’s in dvd 18 and in snapper case. :)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 07:05 AM »
from what i have read..  American in Paris would also be out this year in a Four-Discs-Collector's Edition. :)

i have been eagerly expecting this also since early last year after i read it at the digitalbits, kaya nga naibenta ko kaagad ang single disc barebones ed. ko, hehehe ;D......sana nga 4-disc release ito, kasi from what i've read 2-disc SE lang ata yun but it will be in widescreen daw, now this is what am really hoping parehas sa ginawa ng warner's sa chariots of fire where the SE is in anamorphic WS format na..... 8)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 11:21 AM »
This proves you haven't scraped the bottom of the profit barrel  for films 45 years after it was released.  I'm pretty sure this is a collectible for DVD film buffs at premium SRPs. 

I wouldn't be surprised if hollywood remakes this film.  The genre is fashionable these days.   ;D  Just an observation.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2005 at 11:49 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005 at 01:09 AM »
Title: Ben Hur
Starring: Charlton Heston
Released: September 2005
SRP: Price TBC

Further Details
Warner has kindly sent over artwork for a four-disc collector's edition of Ben Hur which should be arriving in shops this September. The set has yet to be officially announced I'm afraid, so details are still pretty sketchy at the moment. However, we can confirm that the set will feature an all-new transfer from newly restored 65mm elements, as well as the original 1925 silent film version of Ben-Hur. As for the extra material, you should expect an all new documentary, scene specific commentary by Charlton Heston, a Making of an Epic Documentary, screen tests and more. We'll bring you the full spec rundown, just as soon as we get it. For now though, here's our first look at the official region one package artwork:

from DVDAnswers

8)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005 at 04:44 PM »

from DVDAnswers

8)

great cover art, it's most appropriate for this timeless classic.....i just hope that it also has a cool embossed slipcase similar to GWTW...... :D

thanks for the update, sir hemisphere ;)

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1246
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005 at 12:43 PM »
from DVD Times:

Ben-Hur 4-Disc CE in September
Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Ben-Hur (Four-Disc Collector's Edition) for 13th September 2005 priced at $39.92 SRP. William Wyler’s epic masterpiece has been newly remastered from the original 65mm film elements. The DVD now boasts more than 10 hours of bonus features including an all-new documentary on the film’s influence with leading filmmakers including Ridley Scott (Kingdom of Heaven, Gladiator) and George Lucas (Star Wars films), a making-of documentary hosted by Christopher Plummer, scene specific commentary by Charlton Heston, rare screen tests, a reproduction of the original theatrical souvenir program, plus the 1925 silent version of the film with musical score by Carl Davis.

DVD Special Features Include:

Disc One & Two: The Movie
Newly Remastered and Restored from Original 65mm Film Elements

Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio

Commentary by Film Historian T. Gene Hatcher with Scene Specific Comments from Charlton Heston

Music-Only Track Showcasing Miklos Rozsa’s Score

Screen Tests

Vintage Newsreels Gallery

Highlights from the 1960 Academy Awards Ceremony

Theatrical Trailer Gallery

Disc Three: The 1925 Silent Version
The Thames Television Restoration with Stereophonic Orchestral Score by Composer Carl Davis

Disc Four: About the Movies
New Documentary: Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema - Current filmmakers such as Ridley Scott and George Lucas reflect on the importance and influence of the film

1994 Documentary: Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic Hosted by Christopher Plummer

Directed by William Wyler – 1986 Emmy Award® -nominated documentary featuring the last interview with Wyler before his death

Ben-Hur: A Journey Through Pictures - New audiovisual recreation of the film via stills, storyboards, sketches, music and dialogue

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005 at 03:16 PM »
Dami nang reissues of many worthwhile films.  TITANIC, wala pa.  >:(

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005 at 01:01 AM »
This is gonna be an embosed slip case similar to GWTW.  I like this classic movie.(kahit ayaw ng misis ko) ;D. I'm keeping my r3 copy which is in snaper. :)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005 at 08:24 AM »
the ff. is the official announcement by warner about this impending release as posted at the digitalbits:

"The big one we need to report today, is that Warner has officially announced the release of a Ben Hur: 4-Disc Collector's Edition for 9/13 (SRP $39.92). The film has been carefully remastered from the original 65mm film elements. You'll find that on Disc One and Two of the set, in anamorphic widescreen video (2.76:1 aspect ratio) with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. These first two discs will also include audio commentary by film historian T. Gene Hatcher (with scene specific comments from actor Charlton Heston), a music-only track showcasing Miklos Rozsa's score, screen test footage, a vintage newsreels gallery, film highlights from the 1960 Academy Awards ceremony and a theatrical trailer gallery. Disc Three will include the 1925 Silent Version of Ben-Hur, presented in the Thames Television Restoration, complete with stereophonic orchestral score by composer Carl Davis. Finally, Disc Four will include a new documentary Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema (featuring interviews with current filmmakers like Ridley Scott and George Lucas reflecting on the importance and influence of the film), the 1994 documentary Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic hosted by Christopher Plummer, the 1986 Directed by William Wyler  documentary (featuring the last interview with Wyler before his death) and Ben-Hur: A Journey Through Pictures ( a new audiovisual recreation of the film via stills, storyboards, sketches, music and dialogue). All told, the 4-disc set includes more than 10 hours of bonus material. You'll find the cover art below."

8)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005 at 05:45 PM »
Nice cover artwork on this all time classic. A must buy if you already own the 4-disc set also of Gone With The Wind.  :)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2005 at 07:39 AM »
this is now up for pre-orders at amazon.com....... 8)

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2005 at 07:54 AM »
thanks for the heads up your honor. :)

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2005 at 08:04 AM »
By the way.  There are 2 versions coming out.  Order now. :)

Ben-Hur (Four-Disc Collector's Edition)

$27.94

Ben-Hur (Four-Disc Collector's Edition with Bible Study Guide)

$27.94

I don't know what excatly is THE BIBLE STUDY GUIDE looks like.  But it's the same price w/o it.

Or if you like the old collectors. :)
Ben-Hur - Limited Edition Collector's Set (1959)

$71.98

Mods.please supply link to amazon.Thank you very much mga boss.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2005 at 08:07 AM by baby »

Offline deluxe

• Apprentice
  • Don't touch my Precious!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2005 at 04:17 PM »
The aspect ratio of this release is 2.76:1. I don't know but I'm very much enjoy watching movies in ratios such as 1.78:1, 1.85:1 and some titles in 2.35:1. But I'm not enjoying in 1.33:1 or full screen ratio, because left and right image sacrificed.

The Ten Commandments released in 2.20:1, 1.66:1 & 1.78:1 versions. Ben-Hur's ratio is a super widescreen. It is not enjoyable if you watch this in computer and small TVs. This is recommended for those who have Plasma and bigger screens.  Widescreen is the best but it depends on your equipment.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 08:57 AM »
just got hold of my copy yesterday, it's really a very nice & highly collectible DVD set, similar packaging to GWTW at embossed din ang slip case....... 8)