Author Topic: DIY projector screen  (Read 97020 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DIY projector screen
« on: Feb 22, 2005 at 11:14 AM »
  Hi guys

I am planning to install a projector in the condo that we will be moving into by June. I will renovate the living room wall to accomodate a 100"-120" screen. Problem is, Listening in Style's biggest screen is 96". And most importantly, I would like to do away with the cost of the screen to increase the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of this project.

Stores would recommend that just a white wall would do. But I already notice the cloth texture of the projector screen during a demo at Listening in Style, ano pa kaya pag painted wall. I'm sure I would notice the paint specks. Even my wife disagrees with the painted wall.

I was thinking of formica or tarpauline for a DIY screen. Any tips from fellow members?

Thanks in advance!   

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2005 at 12:05 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
Re: DIY projector screen
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 12:31 PM »
  Hi guys

I am planning to install a projector in the condo that we will be moving into by June. I will renovate the living room wall to accomodate a 100"-120" screen. Problem is, Listening Room's biggest screen is 96". And most importantly, I would like to do away with the cost of the screen to increase the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of this project.

Stores would recommend that just a white wall would do. But I already notice the cloth texture of the projector screen during a demo at Listening room, ano pa kaya pag painted wall. I'm sure I would notice the paint specks. Even my wife disagrees with the painted wall.

I was thinking of formica or tarpauline for a DIY screen. Any tips from fellow members?

Thanks in advance!   

try black light cloth, our good friend neo used that for his DIY projector screen used during the 2nd EB, the one held at Jardines.  i think it's available at shell canvas.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2005 at 12:04 PM »

try black light cloth, our good friend neo used that for his DIY projector screen used during the 2nd EB, the one held at Jardines.  i think it's available at shell canvas.

Wow, black light cloth, sounds groovy.. :D. thanks voj! I will check that out sa Shell Canvass.

Anyway, I checked the price of formica, P380.00 per 4'x8' sheet. It will fit the screen. Wow, thats cheap....

I also checked sa Listening room Megamall, their projector screens are not that expensive pala. Its 8k for dripers brand and 6.5 k for viewtech brand. 84" x84" with a 96" diagonal viewing area at 16:9.

I thought it was 20k kasi ;D, pangbili din yun ng High Definition DVD player...

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2005 at 01:10 PM »
Wow, black light cloth, sounds groovy.. :D. thanks voj! I will check that out sa Shell Canvass.

Anyway, I checked the price of formica, P380.00 per 4'x8' sheet. It will fit the screen. Wow, thats cheap....

I also checked sa Listening room Megamall, their projector screens are not that expensive pala. Its 8k for dripers brand and 6.5 k for viewtech brand. 84" x84" with a 96" diagonal viewing area at 16:9.

I thought it was 20k kasi ;D, pangbili din yun ng High Definition DVD player...

Mura na lang talaga yung screens, but you might not be happy with those.  Try sending a PM to member jl2 - he used a Stewart high gain projector screen on his HT room - way over the 20k you mentioned.  Also try sending a PM to neo,  he is the original front projector guru here.  He does not go online that much anymore but he does read his email - he can give you tips on the DIY.  Most of the projector screen available on retail stores are square and is optimized for business presentations.  I've been looking for a widescreen for the longest time pero wala.  With DIY, you can actually make the projector screen exact.  There are even tips on how to mask the projector image to handle various aspect ratios.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2005 at 04:29 PM »
Mura na lang talaga yung screens, but you might not be happy with those.  Try sending a PM to member jl2 - he used a Stewart high gain projector screen on his HT room - way over the 20k you mentioned.  Also try sending a PM to neo,  he is the original front projector guru here.  He does not go online that much anymore but he does read his email - he can give you tips on the DIY.  Most of the projector screen available on retail stores are square and is optimized for business presentations.  I've been looking for a widescreen for the longest time pero wala.  With DIY, you can actually make the projector screen exact.  There are even tips on how to mask the projector image to handle various aspect ratios.

Thanks Voj!  :D, I will try to PM Neo. But I dont think I would be interested in that  20k+ screen....

I tried to call Shell Canvass awhile ago but they dont have the black light cloth thingee. Other companies under the curtain section of the yellow pages dont have it as well.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2005 at 05:06 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MS

• Apprentice
  • CHRONIC the ESTAFADOR
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2005 at 12:07 PM »
Thanks Voj!  :D, I will try to PM Neo. But I dont think I would be interested in that  20k+ screen....

I tried to call Shell Canvass awhile ago but they dont have the black light cloth thingee. Other companies under the curtain section of the yellow pages dont have it as well.

Correction lang po, Blackout cloth po ang tawag not black light cloth.
CHRONIC: Tirador ng XBOX

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2005 at 12:35 PM »

Correction lang po, Blackout cloth po ang tawag not black light cloth.

ayun--- blackout cloth pala!! hehehe

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2005 at 01:59 PM »
ayun--- blackout cloth pala!! hehehe

I just called Shell Canvass, they have black out   ;) cloth at P380.00/ yard x 54”. So 3 yards could make a 100” (diag) plus screen at P1140.00. Karpentero not included. This is cool!

Thanks for the info guys…

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 05:06 PM »
I asked another branch of Shell Canvass and the blackout cloth was priced at P280/ yard. Well, that makes it cheaper, but I think it would be harder to maintain bec. you need to wash it from time to time, unlike the roll up screens.

I tried to analyze the cloth but there doesnt seem to be anything very special about it. The salesperson said it just doenst let heat through.

Offline sillyputty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2005 at 01:39 PM »
bossing once nabuo mo na yung ht mo e post mo naman review mo sa diy screen vs dun sa draper/dalite na available sa shang. Iniisip ko kasi kung diy din ang gagawin ko e.  ???

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2005 at 02:00 PM »
Medyo di pa nga nagstart yung renovation. Might take some more time.

Anyway, according to Panasonic projector calculator  http://www.projectorsolution.com/calculator.asp?id=2606, a 100" diagonal screen would require 87" x 49".

With the low price of the black out cloth, as of now I was thinking maybe just sew velcro around it and have a carpenter constuct a simple frame with the other part of the velcro attached to it.

3 yards x 56" = P840.00
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2005 at 02:06 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2005 at 11:33 AM »
I did a DIY projector screen using marine plywood. For the paint, I had Ace Hardware mix it for me with the color (it is not pure white, pure white is not good for projector screen since you cannot project good black image on it) coming from a US HT forum with a huge discussion on DIY screen and screen coating. The outcome is better than my pj screen that came with my Infocus!

If I have to do it again, I will get a black out cloth and paint it using Ace paint!
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2005 at 11:38 AM »
I did a DIY projector screen using marine plywood. For the paint, I had Ace Hardware mix it for me with the color (it is not pure white, pure white is not good for projector screen since you cannot project good black image on it) coming from a US HT forum with a huge discussion on DIY screen and screen coating. The outcome is better than my pj screen that came with my Infocus!

If I have to do it again, I will get a black out cloth and paint it using Ace paint!

Do you still have the formula of the ACE paint mix? Share it with us please.  :D

Thanks! :)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2005 at 02:06 PM »
Bro maybe i can help you buy a reasonably priced screen whether the FS format or the latest WS type. I bought the FS type but using it as a WS type, DALITE pa ang brand.Dont bother anymore with DIY kasi im sure sooner or later upgrade ka din in to something much much nicer. 0917 527 1059.

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2005 at 08:20 AM »
I just recently moved, I will look for the can.

I have DALITE and the blacks are not really blacks, I like my DIY better than the DALITE! It is good for office presentation but not that good on DVD playback. I have a friend who has a stewart screen and it looks very promising much better than most screens I have seen.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2005 at 08:32 AM by alexg »
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 11:15 AM »
MAtZTER:  sir, what's the latest on your DIY proj screen? completed na ba? can you post pics for people who want to go the same route? thanks!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 11:30 AM »
MAtZTER:  sir, what's the latest on your DIY proj screen? completed na ba? can you post pics for people who want to go the same route? thanks!

Hehe renovation still ongoing. 

I am almost  twice over my projected budget allocation for the renovation. I did not expect labor costs to balloon to this much. The budget for the projector & the screen was eaten away ;D. So I have to shelf this project to another time , hopefully by the end of the year.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2005 at 04:35 PM »
MAtZTER:  gluck with the reno, parang palang mga IT projects, laging over budget hehehe... ok lang, by the time you have the funds for the pj and screen ull have better stuff to choose from

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2005 at 04:38 PM »
aside from the usual creme or white blackout cloth, i noticed shell has another type of blackout cloth, this one with parang made of a rubbery or leatherette type of material... gray ung other side, while sa other side you can choose from a variety of colors... it's much cheaper too, P150 lang per yard and doesnt look like it will be hard to maintain unlike blackout cloth na parang ang daling madumihan...

im not sure if its suitable for use as a projection screen though

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 09:50 AM »

Offline crenshaw

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
DIY screens
« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2006 at 12:55 PM »
planning to build my own screen, i'm on a very tight budget tsaka i can make 16:9s. wonder where to score black out cloth or MDF panels dito sa metro manila? pls point me in the right direction. Thanks!

if you guys have advice on how to build it, i would surely appreciate it!

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
Re: DIY screens
« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 07:28 AM »
I needed a large screen, so I built a 123" (diagonal 16:9) screen using Blackout (bought at Shell Canvas in Alabang Town Center).

I spent about P3000 for everything (cloth, wood, staple gun, mounting).  Compaired to a wall (imperfections), the Blackout is fantastic.  No one was selling a large 16:9 screen at that time so I had to build one.

I saw some instructions on the net on how to staple-gun the cloth into a wooden frame (google "canvas" "painting" "how to attach" something like that), I can't remember the URL.  Basically,
you start/staple at middle, then its opposite.  You start at the "middle" and work to the corners as evenly distributed as possible.  Space the staple about 1" apart.  The Blackout cloth will smoothen out on its own (assuming it has creases or folds in the middle when you bought it) so no need to iron it.  Any dirt you can't remove won't be noticeable from the viewing distance.  Remeber to use black cloth for the "frame" of the Blackout cloth.  It improves the viewing.  Choose the most white Blackout cloth. 

In the future, you may want to paint the Blackout cloth, google special "paints" for DIY screens.  I just use the Blackout cloth and will not bother painting it.

Example:  Staple in this sequence:  T2,B2,L2,R2,T1,B1,L3,R3,T3,B3,L1,R1, etc....

T1 T2 T3
L1|             |R1
L2|             |R2
L3|             |R3
    B1 B2 B3

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2006 at 04:00 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline crenshaw

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 12:52 PM »
thanks for the reply. do you have any idea whereelse i can buy blackout cloth here ortigas area or quezon city? what is the size of your screen (height/length)? thanks again

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 01:37 PM »
You have to go to Shell Canvas (any branch, I only know of the ATC branch, try calling a branch, then ask them for the other branches),
it's order today, then pick-up tomorrow.  I don't know anyone else who knew what it was nor even knew if they had it (Blackout cloth).
Don't worry about folds or creases, they will go away in a few days after stretching&stapling the cloth to the frame,
but do ask them not to fold yours (just roll it).  I even washed mine due to the dust. 

You will love the staple gun (about P250).

For dimensions, I think mine is (viewable area) 61" height  by 108" wide...giving me 123" diagonal  (+/- 0.5 inches).

Best way to measure is to maximize/zoom project on the wall, once you fix your projector
(mine is the panasonic AE700, now 18 months old, ceiling mounted, about 4 meters away from screen).

Use component output (not DVI or HDMI) and get the largest area you can occupy.  This will allow you to use the same screen for
all kinds of DVD aspect ratios  (1.85? 2.35? non-anamorphic, etc...)

Give a material allowance of 3-4 inches on all sides, since the "allowance" cloth needs to be stapled on to the back of the frame (wrap with black cloth) and it will be non-viewable. 

So basically, I bought the projector first, tried it on the wall for a few days, then decided a screen was absolutely necessary due to paint+imperfections on the wall (I compaired a piece of white bond paper and the wall, while projecting on both at the same time - big difference). In the future you can compaire a special paint blackout cloth with your non-painted blackout screen in this way.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 01:56 PM »
when you  staple the cloth, remember to stretch it as best you can without damaging it, so there is no slack from the other (opposite) side

Offline mheloy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 02:25 PM »
please post some pics

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 03:49 PM »
ok...I think I'll post some pictures... :)  I'll try to post it here...

You may also want to blackout your windows (or blackout the curtains)....
blinds and regular curtains will not be enough when watching daytime.
any light seeping through affects viewing pleasure.   
I had to temporarily use double sided 3M to tape blackout cloth to the wall where light seeps in through the blinds.
the idea is to have an environment similar to a theater (no light).
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2006 at 03:58 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 18, 2006 at 12:09 AM »
Pictures posted in the HT Gallery section of this forum:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=55046.msg601343#msg601343

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #28 on: Jul 18, 2006 at 11:47 AM »
Congrats eric on your DIY screen.  Very much cheaper without compromising performance....

Offline crenshaw

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 18, 2006 at 12:16 PM »
ok ah. just found out may shell canvass sa shangri la. eric, how much did you pay for your Blackout cloth? and i suppose you built your frame also. thanks for all the help.