Author Topic: DIY projector screen  (Read 97117 times)

Offline karloff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • DJ, Home Theater Fanatic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DIY projector screen
« Reply #360 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 12:44 AM »
^i think wala nang ibang alternative sir. kasi ito rin ginagamit ng mga branded ng glass beaded na pj screen.
the problem is; wala yatang available locally nitong glass bead. kasi kahit sa planta ng katulad ng asahi glasss e, kasing laki ng airsoft pellets ang ginagamit.

check mo dito ang specs ng grit:
http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/blasting-media/glass-beads.htm
sample comparison:

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 at 12:51 AM by karloff »

Offline titor

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #361 on: Jun 25, 2013 at 02:19 PM »
for those who used the blackout cloth is there a specific one to use? I went shell canvas and was given a lot of options. Is there a specific model number or style. There is one that is sold by the yard w a 60" width and some per square meter. From the previous pages sabi was likod ang gamitin. Is that the glossy/rubbery type? or should the one that looks like a canvass work?
That awkward moment when I'm drunk and you're still ugly.

Offline AlvinladeN

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #362 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 08:34 PM »
Anyone here tried the screen goo paint?

I screw up my screen when i cleaned it. Thinking of painting it to cover the imperfections.

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 09:38 AM »
Anyone here tried the screen goo paint?

I screw up my screen when i cleaned it. Thinking of painting it to cover the imperfections.

Meron na ba dito yan? I've read that it's very expensive and you will be much better if you buy a pj screen instead.

Offline AlvinladeN

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 05:58 PM »
^wala din. mahigit 10k din kung oorderin mo online. mas ok nga siguro kung bibili ka na lang ng screen.

^i think wala nang ibang alternative sir. kasi ito rin ginagamit ng mga branded ng glass beaded na pj screen.
the problem is; wala yatang available locally nitong glass bead. kasi kahit sa planta ng katulad ng asahi glasss e, kasing laki ng airsoft pellets ang ginagamit.

what if i-blender ang malalaking beads?

Offline karloff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Jul 10, 2013 at 07:49 AM »
^wala din. mahigit 10k din kung oorderin mo online. mas ok nga siguro kung bibili ka na lang ng screen.

what if i-blender ang malalaking beads?
hehehe! no way sir. kung kaya man ng blender mo ang glass beads di pa rin maganda kinalabasan dahil pag tiningnan mo in microscopic form ung glass beads bilog pa rin.cguro pag sa blender e diamond cut na sya.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #366 on: Oct 08, 2013 at 10:22 AM »
Maganda daw ito: Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Smooth Enamel Satin Finish
link

May naka-try na? Available kaya ito locally?
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2013 at 03:16 PM by markcrenz »
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline rulesmeister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #367 on: Oct 08, 2013 at 11:22 AM »
Also try the Rust-Oleum Metallic Pearl white accents & Liquitex Basics Acrylics Colors silver. Add a bit of flat white, neutral satin finish and water. Result would be way much better than ordinary flat white and black tinting paint combination.

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Oct 08, 2013 at 02:01 PM »
Also try the Rust-Oleum Metallic Pearl white accents & Liquitex Basics Acrylics Colors silver. Add a bit of flat white, neutral satin finish and water. Result would be way much better than ordinary flat white and black tinting paint combination.

Can you give us the formula sir. my flat white is kinda dull. gusto ko sana magpa mix sa Ace but don't know what mix to use.

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Oct 08, 2013 at 03:22 PM »
How does it fare against commercial screens? And is it available locally? Where po?

Yung pinost ko kasi they compared it with a high-end screen (StudioTek 100) with outstanding results so I'm looking sana for that particular paint.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #370 on: Oct 08, 2013 at 03:33 PM »
How does it fare against commercial screens? And is it available locally? Where po?

Yung pinost ko kasi they compared it with a high-end screen (StudioTek 100) with outstanding results so I'm looking sana for that particular paint.

Puntahan natin siya sa Saint Rose?

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Oct 08, 2013 at 05:34 PM »
Saint Rose sa may Divine Mercy lang ba yan o sa Laguna?  ;D

Can you give us the formula sir. my flat white is kinda dull. gusto ko sana magpa mix sa Ace but don't know what mix to use.
Nakita ko yung posts nya re DIY screen nasa Acer pj thread

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
Re: Re: DIY projector screen
« Reply #372 on: Oct 08, 2013 at 09:25 PM »
Saint Rose sa may Divine Mercy lang ba yan o sa Laguna?  ;D
Nakita ko yung posts nya re DIY screen nasa Acer pj thread
Pm mo. Hehe!

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 10:27 AM »
Sirs,

I could only compare the Silver fire V.2 sa commercial screen ng Acer, the SFv.2 is way much better than the commercial screen ng Acer .But I have compared with several DIY screens having locally available paint combination. Also, based from several users from AVSforum, the SFv.2 if done properly could compete with branded screens that are in the range of several thousand dollars. Ung DIY ko is painted using roller since I was not able to find a decent spray paint. Unfortunately the Rusto-leum and the Liquitex basics are not available locally, I bought mine at Amazon.

The DIY screen using flat white with a tint of black is not color accurate with respect to creating a silver/gray screen since it just looked "dark white". The Liquitex silver which is a major ingredient for both Silver fire V.2 and rs-maxxmudv.2 is highly color accurate (the paint looked like silver screen with slight gray).And since the screen finish is metallic, the colors of the projected image will have more "pop" and does handle ambient light that a bare flat white cannot handle.   

The problem with these mixture (SFv.2 and RS-maxxmudd v.2) is that both are highly sensitive to uneven surfaces, and would work perfectly well when spray painted. Its also very difficult to mix the ingredients since water, flat white paint, satin, rustoleum & liquitex basics have varied viscosity. It needed a squirrel cage to achieve good texture.

For the formula, here it is..
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1319717/the-official-rs-maxxmudd-v-2-mix

Btw, my place is in Sta Rosa, Laguna.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2013 at 10:48 AM by rulesmeister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 11:21 AM »
Sirs,

I could only compare the Silver fire V.2 sa commercial screen ng Acer, the SFv.2 is way much better than the commercial screen ng Acer .But I have compared with several DIY screens having locally available paint combination. Also, based from several users from AVSforum, the SFv.2 if done properly could compete with branded screens that are in the range of several thousand dollars. Ung DIY ko is painted using roller since I was not able to find a decent spray paint. Unfortunately the Rusto-leum and the Liquitex basics are not available locally, I bought mine at Amazon.

The DIY screen using flat white with a tint of black is not color accurate with respect to creating a silver/gray screen since it just looked "dark white". The Liquitex silver which is a major ingredient for both Silver fire V.2 and rs-maxxmudv.2 is highly color accurate (the paint looked like silver screen with slight gray).And since the screen finish is metallic, the colors of the projected image will have more "pop" and does handle ambient light that a bare flat white cannot handle.   

The problem with these mixture (SFv.2 and RS-maxxmudd v.2) is that both are highly sensitive to uneven surfaces, and would work perfectly well when spray painted. Its also very difficult to mix the ingredients since water, flat white paint, satin, rustoleum & liquitex basics have varied viscosity. It needed a squirrel cage to achieve good texture.

For the formula, here it is..
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1319717/the-official-rs-maxxmudd-v-2-mix

Btw, my place is in Sta Rosa, Laguna.

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs sir. That being a high gain screen, wala bang naging problem with regards to hot spots? Or barely noticeable.

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 12:01 PM »
Thanks for posting rulesmeister. Are the quantities you imported enough for 2 screens?

BTW I know you're from Laguna, just messing with Nelson.  ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 12:06 PM »
Thanks for posting rulesmeister. Are the quantities you imported enough for 2 screens?

BTW I know you're from Laguna, just messing with Nelson.  ;D

;D

Pwede tayo mag-volt-in. Let's get a white laminated MDF para smooth ang surface. I'm not just sure hot the recommended paint can adhere properly sa laminate. And i think melamine ang material ng laminate niya.

let's wait for rulesmeister re his reply sa hot spots inquiry ko, which is common in high gain screens.

Offline mangboy

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
DIY projector screen
« Reply #377 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 12:30 PM »
Bookmarking! :)

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 12:47 PM »
;D

Pwede tayo mag-volt-in. Let's get a white laminated MDF para smooth ang surface. I'm not just sure hot the recommended paint can adhere properly sa laminate. And i think melamine ang material ng laminate niya.

let's wait for rulesmeister re his reply sa hot spots inquiry ko, which is common in high gain screens.

Try nyo din ang hardiflex sir... Smooth ang surface. Not as smooth though as a laminate pero mas madali pinturahan. yun gamit ko attached to a 1x2 frame.

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 12:51 PM »
The paint quantity I got from Amazon could do 2 screens with 92" diagonal. However, since nagrework pa ako, wala ng natira. I would suggest if sir Marcrenz and sir Nelson would volt in order sa Amazon, kahit 1 bottle ng 32 oz Rustoleum metallic white pearl pwede na if 92" lang gagamitin nyo. But ung liquitex basics dapat tig 2 small bottle (8 oz) kayo since konti lang laman nun. Ung white flat paint (water based) and neutral satin finish could be bought sa Ace (sabihin nyo bibilhin nyo w/o mix) ung clear satin finish na bare lang. You only need 1 liter mix ng RS-MaxxMudd for the MDF board.

No hotspotting encountered since I made my screen more darker. Even ung earlier SFv.2 ko na lighter shade, no hotspotting although mas mataas gain nya. Hot spotting occurs when the light hits a gloss/semi gloss surface na CONTINOUS (i.e. like when you paint your screen with semi gloss paint) the amount of reflected light spreads out in a circular pattern sa center ng screen. Ung high gain nito is due to millions of very very tiny crystal-like material. Meron small space in between the 'crystal' the next 'crystal', this small space prevents the reflected light from spreading out thus preventing hot spotting.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2013 at 12:58 PM by rulesmeister »

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 01:37 PM »
Sirs, here is my DIY(well...carpenter made) screen.
110 inches diagonal, 1pc plywood, w/ about 10 inches extension on the left and top.
White primer, then sanded. then 2 coats of flat light gray paint was applied.
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: Oct 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM »
Here's the digits for the DIY Silverfire v.2 versus the BOC as posted at AVS forum:

Screenshot of my SFv.2 with AcerH6510BD

Picture quality is quite stunning given I only used roller to paint the screen, If this mix is spray-painted on a very smooth surface like plexiglass or something then the resulting image quality would even be greater
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013 at 01:14 PM by rulesmeister »

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1445
« Reply #382 on: Nov 05, 2013 at 12:35 PM »
curious lang. tarpaulin material, pwede kaya? its relatively cheap tapos pwede i-DIY na roll up. uubra kaya?

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Nov 05, 2013 at 04:56 PM »
curious lang. tarpaulin material, pwede kaya? its relatively cheap tapos pwede i-DIY na roll up. uubra kaya?
Uubra pa rin ung tarp as DIY roll up, but PQ wise you'll see graininess on the picture, hindi smooth surface texture ng tarpaulin. Also consider na medyo glossy ung tarp, you'll see hot spotting. 

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1445
« Reply #384 on: Nov 06, 2013 at 07:49 AM »
appreciate it.  thanks

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #385 on: Nov 06, 2013 at 09:16 AM »
my 116" DIY screen using screen material from Carl's Place

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: Nov 06, 2013 at 11:03 AM »
ganda sir... Will try to do this as well.

Offline karloff

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: Nov 07, 2013 at 05:34 PM »
kasama ba ung black cloth pagbili mo sir? yung binili ko kasi white lang back2back pero mas smooth yung 1 side.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #388 on: Nov 08, 2013 at 04:35 AM »
kasama ba ung black cloth pagbili mo sir? yung binili ko kasi white lang back2back pero mas smooth yung 1 side.

sir, i bought the flexiwhite material (vinyl) with black backing and white front. this is the same material used by elitescreens cinewhite or cinegrey (flexigray kay carl).

what you probably have is a blackout cloth kasi puro white on both sides.

Offline CocoBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: Dec 02, 2013 at 10:50 AM »
sir, i bought the flexiwhite material (vinyl) with black backing and white front. this is the same material used by elitescreens cinewhite or cinegrey (flexigray kay carl).

what you probably have is a blackout cloth kasi puro white on both sides.

Bro, if ever I get the flexigrey materials from the same source, what PQ would that give me using Epson 3010?  Or am I better off getting the flexiwhite material? 

Thanks.
ALA EH!!