Author Topic: Oro Plata Mata (4/28/08)/(7/1/13 - Restored and Remastered Version)  (Read 45274 times)

Offline ANALOGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
help! any ideas where i can get this title? dvd, vcd or even vhs copy will be ok... kahit na siguro film reel...  i need it "desperately", don't ask why... salamat!
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2013 at 06:20 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline cineaste

• Collector
  • Do whatever you wanna do with me, just do it right
  • Liked:
Re: Oro Plata Mata where do i find thee?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 11:07 PM »
It's so tragic.  This great film will probably never make it to dvd  :'(

In the meantime, we are all assualted by those bad flicks that make it to the vcd/dvd market.
To the table or to bed, you must come when you are bid.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 03:47 PM »
This is perhaps the best Pinoy film I've seen at that time.  I would love to get a good DVD copy of this. 

Offline trojan7

• Collector
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2005 at 10:38 PM »
I want this on DVD too!
^_^x

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2005 at 07:23 PM »
This is perhaps the best Pinoy film I've seen at that time.  I would love to get a good DVD copy of this. 

You said it man....... :)

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2005 at 07:52 PM »
;D ;D ;D

yep...great movie.  hope they release a DVD copy of great movies like this one!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 10:07 AM »
Its now on Star Cinema's schedule to release this great classic in the future but they are having second thoughts since baka sangkatutak na naman ang magrereklamo at magmamagaling like what happened with the release of HIMALA since they can only depend on the umatic transfer that they had.

They were looking for the best copy from Road Runner which painstakingly cleaned the master print during its 20th anniversary at Greenbelt Cinema but Road Runner lost their copy. The correct chronological order was finished at last!
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 at 10:10 AM by keating »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 10:49 AM »
Its now on Star Cinema's schedule to release this great classic in the future but they are having second thoughts since baka sangkatutak na naman ang magrereklamo at magmamagaling like what happened with the release of HIMALA since they can only depend on the umatic transfer

There's a big difference between "nagmamagaling" and people who actually KNOW what they're talking about when it comes to appropriate picture quality for DVD releases they'll be paying for.

keating, who made that comment? Malou Santos is a very good personal friend of mine, and I will tell her directly that apparently, her employees are condescending and sarcastic when given constructive criticism.

And please tell your source that the worst thing about their Himala release wasn't the shoddy picture quality. It's that they didn't give a teaser on the back cover - they gave the whole d**n story, all the way to the ENDING. I don't think there's any other legitimate DVD releasing company in the world that would be that irresponsible with spoilers. Now that's something very wrong with their release that they can't blame on their U-matic transfer.

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 at 11:15 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 11:16 AM »
I guess it would depend really on the available source that they had. I didn't say that you were nagmamagaling, Mr. Hankey.

But I think both sides have their points to ponder. If you will trace Oro's history it would be epic scale and long process also from the time it was conceived from the ECP days. And I even suggested to my source that let Mondo Video buy the rights of the film so that it would be release in excellent manner just like Elwood Perez' SILIP.

My point also is...... instead of ranting we should be thankful that these classic films are now beginning to see the light of dvd format.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 at 11:18 AM by keating »

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 11:30 AM »
The top floor of fully booked at High Street has some Filipino videos.  Not sure if they carry the film you are looking for though.  The one I can remember off the top of my head are other Lino Brocka films.

Happy Hunting :)
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 11:31 AM »
Even if you're thankful, as I was, it's completely appropriate to talk about the product's quality. That's everyone's right as a consumer, right?

And it's what keeps these forums alive.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 11:34 AM »
Yes, I guess so.

And I can't divulge my source since its unethical on my part. But they are listening definitely.  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 12:54 PM »

They were looking for the best copy from Road Runner which painstakingly cleaned the master print during its 20th anniversary at Greenbelt Cinema but Road Runner lost their copy. The correct chronological order was finished at last!

Just like that?  They lost the copy and they weren't sued?  ;D  How could they lose a copy?  Was their hard drive containing the cleaned digital master erased? 

If that digital master fell into the hands of pirates, there should already be bootleg copies of Oro.  But I don't see any in the stalls I visit. 

Did they have the prints telecined in 1080p or higher, digitally cleaned frame by frame and audio-remastered into 5.1 DTS-MasterAudio for subsequent high def release and digital theater release?   I believe they should have as that would also allow for standard DVD release.   They should be doing that for at least the top 20 pinoy films. And OPM is one of them that will stand out for generations.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 at 01:07 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 04:00 PM »
Its definitely not on 5.1 DD but the video quality was near perfect during its 20th Anniv. screening, colors are alive and vibrant minus the subtitles. It was probably erased from their hard drive or they didn't make a back-up at all.

The fault should also go to that s**tty LVN technician who reproduced the master print by splicing the film master and editing it by himself causing Peque to walked out during the screening at World Cinema Centennial celebration in Sm Megamall back in the 90's. That print was the one being aired at Cinema One.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 at 04:41 PM by keating »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 10:34 PM »
Its definitely not on 5.1 DD but the video quality was near perfect during its 20th Anniv. screening, colors are alive and vibrant minus the subtitles. It was probably erased from their hard drive or they didn't make a back-up at all.

What amateurs!! ???  Were the people involved fired?  They should be.  This is clear evidence and an indictment of the immaturity and thoughtlessness of many in the local film industry.

Offline ciconneguy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Movies and music make me happy. :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 11:53 PM »
Its now on Star Cinema's schedule to release this great classic in the future but they are having second thoughts since baka sangkatutak na naman ang magrereklamo at magmamagaling like what happened with the release of HIMALA since they can only depend on the umatic transfer that they had.

u-matic tape ang source ng dvd ng himala? wala ba sila nung master negative nung pelikula? kasi di ba nag-auction dati ang ecp ng lahat ng films nila (na nabili ng abs). hindi ba mismong master negative ang ibinenta? kung hndi, nasaan yung master negative?

naitanong ko lang ito kasi, nung ipinalabas ulit yung tinimbang ka ngunit kulang sa isang film restrospective, may nagbanggit (si nick deocampo yata) na ang bagong print na ipapalabas noon ay courtesy ng ccp. ibig sabihin, nakapag-print sila ng bago. inisip ko, meron pa sigurong master negative ito o kaya may sapat na pera ang ccp (kung sakaling mahal ang pagprint ng bago.)

kung merong master negatives ang mga pelikula ng ecp (at pati ang ibang prod outfit tulad ng regal, lvn at sampaguita), bakit puro mga gasgas na existing positive prints ang ipinapalabas nila sa retrospectives (at re-runs sa tv) at ginagamit sa dvd/vcd transfers?

isa pa. noong ipinalabas sa cinemax a few years ago yung madrasta at bata bata (part ng asian series nila), ang linaw ng kopya. parang sa foreign film. kaya excited ako nung bilhin yung dvds baka sakaling ganito rin ang kulay. pero hindi.

pasensya na po. ang haba na nito. sana may sumagot. tagal na kasing palaisipan ito sa akin e.  ;D

It's time for the good times. Forget about the bad times. :)

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 08:44 PM »
Sana magrelease pa ng iba pang ECP films and Star Video. Yan ang aking munting hiling.

Timely, ang HIMALA. Perfect for the Holy Week.  ;D

Offline dalubhasa1980

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 06:04 PM »
Napadaan ako sa Eugenio Lopez Jr. (ELJ) Center, ABS-CBN Compound

At nakabili ako ng DVD ng Oro, Plata, Mata

Star Home Video release ito

Kailangang makauwi na para ma-testing.

Sa mga gustong magkaroon ng kopya....

Sugod na. Bili na kayo.

Offline AICRAG

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do unto others before they do unto you
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 06:18 PM »
gusto ko nyan!  sana lumabas sa stores
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #19 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 06:23 PM »

OH MY GAD :o Post a review naman! How's the PQ and SQ?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:38 PM »
Oh my GOD is right!

Hanggang anong oras sila bukas?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 10:09 PM »

Star Home Video release ito

Kailangang makauwi na para ma-testing.

Sa mga gustong magkaroon ng kopya....

Sugod na. Bili na kayo.

Do tell us about it.  ;D

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Oro Plata Mata - AVAILABLE NOW! (4/28/08)
« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 07:58 AM »
It's a full screen, 2 channel stereo release on a DVD9 disc. The picture quality isn't as ugly as Himala, but they haven't really cleaned anything up. Scratches, reel change marks (and transitions), and dust particles galore! But none of the ugly film-imprinted subs. The English subtitles can be turned on and off and sometimes they skip over a few lines of dialog.

I've only watched halfway through it but it seems like the editing has no issues. These came up during the first 30 minutes of the movie, right? The party scenes and some from the mountain hideaway? At least that's what I remember from when I viewed the "incorrectly edited" film reels back in 1997.

It's not the Oro I was hoping for. But whatever ABS-CBN has right now, based on the DVD copy, is a good, clean print they can start "real" restoration on. Here's hoping they do the right thing and release a future enhanced version.

Anyway, here's some screen grabs:

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008 at 09:12 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 10:36 AM »
Are there any more copies on the store where you bought it? I'm having my friend get it for me dyan sa Pinas. Thanks!

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 11:54 AM »
Yuh, there were a couple of them on the shelf in front of Astro Robinsons Place Ermita. But it should be in wide distribution on all stores (Astro and Odyssey etc.) judging by how Himala was also distributed across all DVD stores in the city.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 02:50 PM »
Will wait for the widescreen remastered version.  Hopefully it will be released in my lifetime.  ;D

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 03:30 PM »
Was there ever a widescreen version? I seem to remember it stuck to the 1.33:1 ratio, if I'm not mistaken...  ???

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 04:55 PM »
Just a quick note on this thread - it's a bit cheaper to buy this (and other Star Cinema releases) at the ABS-CBN compound than at Astro/Odyssey. This sells for 299 at Astro vs. 260 at ABS-CBN. In case you live or work in the area...

For a local release of a film this old, I think the picture quality is excellent, dust and debris noted. Much, much better than Himala and Manila By Night.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008 at 05:10 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 07:52 PM »
Was there ever a widescreen version? I seem to remember it stuck to the 1.33:1 ratio, if I'm not mistaken...  ???

No widescreen version. Even the one with original subs shown at the MIFF in 1983 its in 1.33:1 aspect ratio. Its good that they finally release it on dvd format.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 08:05 PM »
Then we take what we get. Yay!

I watched this only halfway last night. Time to finish it tonight!