Author Topic: Camiling Story (Erwin Romulo)  (Read 1539 times)

Offline commentary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Camiling Story (Erwin Romulo)
« on: Mar 04, 2005 at 12:15 PM »
Anyone seen it?  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2005 at 04:03 PM by commentary »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Camiling (Erwin Romulo)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 01:14 PM »
Gil Portes liked it. Mel Chionglo liked it. Mike de Leon sort of liked it. Me, no comment. ;D

Okay, okay. I thought that the musical score was too overpowering and distracting. There.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2005 at 01:18 PM by RMN »

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Camiling (Erwin Romulo)
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2005 at 03:54 PM »
Mike de Leon sort of liked it.

Did you talk to Mike at the screening or are you guys still in touch via email?

There were one or two musical cues that I thought were a bit overpowering, but otherwise the music was pretty fitting, and the opening moments the scene when Lou Reed's "Satellite of of Love" is played is just golden.  Camiling Story was one of the better "coming--of-age" stories that I've seen... definitely original.  There are times that I felt that it could have been something more-- the scene were they visited the ruins was great, beautiful setting and composition, with a feeling straight out of an Antonioni film.  I thought it might have lead the film in a different direction, about the towns and cities, neglect and decay.  It didn't, but in the end though, I really enjoyed it, and think Erwin, admittedly a good friend, has a very bright future in filmmaking (aside from scoring, writing, and sound designing).
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2005 at 04:07 PM by commentary »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Camiling Story (Erwin Romulo)
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2005 at 11:31 AM »
Did you talk to Mike at the screening or are you guys still in touch via email?

I arrived just in time for the screening, and therefore failed to schmoose with the guests and meet Mike in person during the cocktails. (damn!) And no, I'm not in touch with him via  email, not in a long shot. BTW, were you there? :)

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2005 at 04:37 PM »
No, was out of the country actually. But I had seen the film before I left.  Sorry to pry but just curious, if you didn't meet him or email him, how'd you hear he kinda liked it?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005 at 01:37 PM »
Camiling Story: a film buff makes a movie.

Judging from the title, one would think that Erwin Romulo’s Camiling Story is about, well, Camiling, a town in Tarlac. It starts off with a shot of Earl (Diego Mapa) aboard a mini-bus/coaster, en route to visit his mother’s hometown. One instantly wonders why he is riding such a vehicle, typical of what is used by tourists and company outings and not, say, a provincial bus. Then, he is welcomed by his Lola Stella, (Ermie Conception) his maternal grandmother, to their ancestral home. Thus begins Earl’s soul-searching; his journey to his past in order to understand the present.

On the surface, Camiling has this cool, hip and almost geeky look and feel to it: the sci-fi element to the story, the comics radio voice-over, and the funky music (a mix of rock and electronica) that at times is too overpowering and distracting. But stripped to its very minimum, the film actually is a simple, syrupy teenage romance; the type of genre that seems to be making money at the box-office these days. (Think of Let the Love Begin or Can this be Love?, only better made) Also, it is quite reminiscent of Mike de Leon’s 1977 film Kung Mangarap Ka’t Magagising, which is not at all surprising considering Erwin’s admiration for the master filmmaker.  

I was actually hoping to see and learn more about the town of Camiling but it appears that it served more as an accessory than an actual backdrop. It would have been interesting to see the town—it’s history for example—alongside the brewing love story. I would have also loved to learn more about Earl’s family, specially during his moments of introspection.

Another glaring observation are the cameos of Lav Diaz, Cesar Hernando and Roxlee, well-known filmmakers all. A few folks may recognize them, but for those who do, it may appear that Erwin is either seeking for approval or wants to give his work a certain level of respect.

In the end, while I was expecting more from Camiling Story, it is nevertheless an earnest and honest effort. One can easily see that the filmmaker put his heart and soul into project, what with the hurdles he had to overcome along the way. He his still young, with room for maturity, and with a long and still bright future ahead of him.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2009 at 11:40 PM by RMN »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2005 at 03:16 AM »
Saw this a few hours ago. A little (and mildly pleasant) Lily Chou Chou flashback in the bike rides but I liked it.

More later.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2007 at 11:10 PM »