Author Topic: Pinoy Short Films  (Read 4034 times)

Offline commentary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pinoy Short Films
« on: Mar 04, 2005 at 12:16 PM »
What are some of the best pinoy short films that you've seen, new or old?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Pinoy Short Films
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 01:12 PM »
I've already mentioned Aureaus Solito's magical Suring at ang Kuk-Ok. Others include Tad Ermitano's science-fictional psuedo-documentary The Retrochronological Transfer of Information (which actually went to Yamagata's international documentary festival), Roxlee's anarchic The Great Smoke, and Raymond Red's silent-film style Ang Magpakailanman.

And I'd say Mike de Leon's Aliwan Paradise , Lino Brocka's Bukas, Madilim, Bukas, Ishmael Bernal's Frigidyer, and Mario O'Hara's Halimaw sa Banga also qualify.

That would be my top shelf. Other very interesting works I've been lucky to catch are Khavn's Pugot, Raymond's Anino, A Study for the Skies, Balut, and one I can't remember the title of, only it featured two men on a bunk bed.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2005 at 09:31 PM »
I've already mentioned Aureaus Solito's magical Suring at ang Kuk-Ok. Others include Tad Ermitano's science-fictional psuedo-documentary The Retrochronological Transfer of Information (which actually went to Yamagata's international documentary festival), Roxlee's anarchic The Great Smoke, and Raymond Red's silent-film style Ang Magpakailanman.

And I'd say Mike de Leon's Aliwan Paradise , Lino Brocka's Bukas, Madilim, Bukas, Ishmael Bernal's Frigidyer, and Mario O'Hara's Halimaw sa Banga also qualify.

That would be my top shelf. Other very interesting works I've been lucky to catch are Khavn's Pugot, Raymond's Anino, A Study for the Skies, Balut, and one I can't remember the title of, only it featured two men on a bunk bed.

I always hear about that short of Tad's.  Been trying to get a copy for some time now.  Gotta follow up on that.

I really like Auraeus' Suring at Ang Kuk-ok, and Rox's Great Smoke.  Haven't seen the shorts of Mike, Lino or Mario.  Any idea where one might get a copy?

A Study for the Skies and Ang Hikab (I think that's the one you are referring to, with the two men on the bunks. One of my personal favourites of Raymond's shorts).   I'd add to your list Makapili, his short study for the long anticipated feature length work.  Quark's Childstar starring G Toengi, a student work that he made in New York on color and b/w 16mm about a former childstar now floundering actress' need for acceptanace and attention, and Khavn's Amen, a comical look at the practice of making mano.

Some recent ones that I like quite a lot...

- Davao raised ADMU student Sherad Sanchez's (Davao-shot) haunting elegy on child prostitution and innocence lost, Apple, which premiered internationally at the Rotterdam Film Festival.
- Raya Martin's atmospheric Bakasyon, the story of a young girl visiting her lola that plays around with the aswang legend, which won the Ishmael Bernal Award for Young Cinema at Cinemanila last year
- The personal experimental short films of John Torres, Tawid Gutom, Salat, and Kung Paano Kita Liligawan Nang Di Kumakapit Sa Iyo-- very original and I'd even say poetic, haven't seen local shorts like them before.  These are his first three shorts, and all were accepted into this years Singapore Film Festival.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2005 at 10:28 PM by commentary »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2005 at 11:42 AM »
I always hear about that short of Tad's.  Been trying to get a copy for some time now.  Gotta follow up on that.

I want to see it too and I can ask Tad if you like  ;)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2005 at 01:37 PM »
Tad's made a few. Susej has an interesting twist. Tributaries is beautiful, featuring camerawork by Regiben.

Hikab--thanks.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2005 at 03:23 AM »
Me and my friend were going to make a short film called.....
                                         "The Monks Meal"

Were going to start shoot the film this coming April. Im going to invite you guys as soon as we finish the film.  :)

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005 at 12:04 AM »
Bumping the thread.

I'm preparing a program of recent shorts for an event in Singapore in September.  It's not a best of, as it will be a curated program with a possible theme, so I may have to leave out some works that I really like.

But with that in mind, I ask the good men and women of pinoydvd...

What are some of the more interesting pinoy shorts you've seen in the past few years?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005 at 12:38 AM by commentary »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005 at 02:34 PM »
Everything I've mentioned plus I suppose Bernal's Pridyider segment from Shake Rattle and Roll.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
DVD of John Torres Short Films
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 02:51 AM »
John Torres is one of my personal favourite filmmakers in the Philippines today (I mentioned him earlier in this thread). He's selling a DVD of his three short films to raise funds for a plane ticket to attend the screening of his work at the Berlin Asia-Pacific Film Festival this September. The DVDs are only 150 pesos each, and are lovingly made with a nice cover (as appears below), and original DVD menu. Below is his note on selling the discs. You can get in touch with him or with me ([email protected]) if you would like copies. Do spread the word! =)

From John:
Friends, I'm selling DVD copies of my Otros Trilogy (Tawidgutom, Salat, and Kung Paano Kita Liligawan Nang Di Kumakapit Sa Iyo) to help raise funds so I can go to the Berlin Asia-Pacific Film Festival from September 22 to 28. Please tell your friends who may be interested. It's P150 per DVD. Text me at 09176679418 or just go straight to Otros, Unit 203 Eagle Star. :)

Help me spread the word through LJ, Friendster, etc... Thanks in advance.

CLICK TO SEE COVER
click image to read article on john torres (excuse horrible typos that website did not correct)

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2009 at 05:39 PM by firewired »