Author Topic: Need ur opinion for my PC set up  (Read 2364 times)

Offline tikbobolan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need ur opinion for my PC set up
« on: Mar 11, 2005 at 12:42 PM »
Hi. I just want to have your opinion on my pc setup. I’m planning to buy a new pc and I’d like to have a little above average performance on my multimedia. I was thinking you could help on this. I really don't know which of the following ASUS motherboard version I’d buy but I made up my mind that I’ll buy a Pentium 4 3.0E. and an NVIDIA fx5200 128ddr tv-out 8x 128bit, I’m not really concerned with the audio since I’ll reserve the heavy set up on my next pc so here are my selections, please suggest the best combination for my video card and processor. Or should I prefer another version on the NVIDIA fx5200 family (I only have a budget of 5,000.00 for my video card)? Thanks! By the way, I’m also planning to buy a TV tuner and a DVD writer so please give the best combination for my set up. Thanks again.

P4P800S
   P4P800S-E Deluxe
   P4P800S SE
   P4P800S-X
   P4P800 Deluxe
   P4P800E Deluxe
   P4P800 SE
   P4P800
   P4P800-X
   P4P800-VM
   P4P800-MX
   P4V533-VM
   P4V800-X

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Need ur opinion for my PC set up
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 12:55 PM »
I am currently using a P4P800S with a Radeon video card.  No problms so far, though it's used less for DVDs and more as a CD wave jukebox.    I'm pretty sure the higher models costing more are better spec'd and should do much better.  Then again, I think there are still more recent and higher model Asus motherboards than the P4P800 series. 

Offline tikbobolan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 12:58 PM »
Thanks for the input. I also won't do some heavy DVD stuff, maybe sometimes. Just want to have that extra juice for backing up and editing DVDs ocassionally. Thanks!

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2005 at 04:06 PM »
The list of asus motherboard you provided all use socket 478 cpus, which intel is in the process of phasing out. If you buy any of the motherboard you listed, you might find yourself having difficulties finding compatible socket 478 cpus to use with the motherboard. In some cases, the older socket 478 cpus are more expensive than the newer LGA 775 socket cpus. I suggest you get an LGA 775 socket based motherboard because the newer intel LGA 775 cpus are more common than the older socket 478 cpus.

I recommend getting an Asus P5GDC-V motherboard. Based on the 915G chipset with integrated video and supports DDR1 and DDR2. If you are not a heavy gamer or user, I think the integrated graphics will tide you over until you wait for newer and better PCI-Express based graphics board to come out in a year or so. If you do decide to get a graphics board now, pick one based on an ATI chip since it is more superior when it comes to video editing in comparison to Nvidia. Ati X600XT based video card is sufficient for mid-level gaming, video playback, editing, and HTPC. Ati X300 is the bottom rung model and is sufficient for more mainstream usage (ie. internet, dvd playback, word processing, etc).
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2005 at 04:10 PM by number1 »

Offline andaleon

• Collector
  • Music You Can Feel, See and Almost Touch.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2005 at 09:59 AM »
I do a lot of video editing (including HD).

Two weeks ago I used a ATI X800 XT card.  (with Asus P5AD2 Premium, Pentium 550)

I have recently switched to Nvidia 6800 Ultra (with Asus AN8-SLI Deluxe, AMD Athlon 64 FX-55). I like the Nvidia better!  The rendering is much better.

I do have dual 6800 Ultra running in SLI but this claim is made even if I was running single mode.

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 05:54 AM »
hi tikbobolan.  well since you're on a tight budget and not a heavy/extreme PC user like andaleon, then be practical bro.  get the SIS or VIA based chipset (those with "S" or "V" on their model number) because they are cheaper than the Intel based chipsets like P4P800 Deluxe. for the DDR memory, utilize the dual channel and buy memory in pairs (512 = 2x256 or 1G=512x2) populating either slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 and get PC3200.  i'm using the old DVR-108 as my DVD writer and it is working great.  you can also try other brands like Sony, Liteon, LG and NEC.  for your video card, your budget determines what is best, fx5200 should be good for starters.

just my suggestion, shalom :)

Offline tikbobolan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 09:22 PM »
to all,

thanks for all of your opinions, i think i'd try to buy an intel LGA 775 instead of the 478 socket since i also heard from a friend of mine that it'll be phased out sooner. so i have to check out the motherboards again for compatibility. i only wonder why is the 478 costs higher than the LGA 775. about the videocard (nvidia vs ati) i really had no idea about ati, i've read it in some threads but when i looked for it i couldnt find it. is ati another company? probably but what i mean is do they release versions of their product through inno3d like nvidia does? i'll be waiting for your replies. thanks to all.

tikbobolan

Offline number1

• Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 11:00 PM »
to all,

thanks for all of your opinions, i think i'd try to buy an intel LGA 775 instead of the 478 socket since i also heard from a friend of mine that it'll be phased out sooner. so i have to check out the motherboards again for compatibility. i only wonder why is the 478 costs higher than the LGA 775. about the videocard (nvidia vs ati) i really had no idea about ati, i've read it in some threads but when i looked for it i couldnt find it. is ati another company? probably but what i mean is do they release versions of their product through inno3d like nvidia does? i'll be waiting for your replies. thanks to all.

tikbobolan

Socket 478 cpu will cost more because supplies have dwindled rapidly as Intel produces less to make way for LGA 775, so economics dictates that as the demand (for the product) remains constant or increases as supply (of the product) decreases therefore price will expectedly increase.

ATI, like Nvidia, makes the chips that powers a video card. But unlike Nvidia, ATI also produces their own line of video cards using their chips, of course. Video cards based on the ATI chips are also available from third party manufacturers locally available are GeCube (recommended), Asus, Powercolor, HIS, ECS, Jet, MSI, Xpertvision, etc. 

After doing some research, it seems that Nvidia does have the upper hand compared to ATI in the mainstream sector. Try getting a video card based on the Nvidia 6600GT chip with DDR3. It beats the ATI Radeon 9600XT, X600,  and even the X700 Pro. But try avoiding Inno3d, they make affordable video cards which does not exactly translate into strong performances as evidenced by some reviews of their past products.

Offline tikbobolan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2005 at 06:24 PM »
thanks number1. i'll do some research on these videocard manufacturers, though i wish i have the time right now. thanks again. i'd also research on the mboard since i'd be going with the LGA 775.

Offline number1

• Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2005 at 06:48 PM »
Before buying a LGA 775 cpu, be sure to check this guide out.

As well as this guide

Interesting quote from the article
The good news is almost all desktop Prescotts (including the Celerons) will get a 64-bit makeover real soon. Unfortunately, you'll still need to buy a new processor but the roadmaps indicate there will be virtually no price premium on the 64-bit versions. With Windows XP 64-bit release less than a few months away, it makes sense that Intel's 64-bit push comes strong and hard in the 9th inning. We are particularly interested in how fully committed the roadmap details EM64T; even the puny Celerons get the instructions.

As you can see, the EM64T enabled CPUs have incremented their model numbers by 1 relative to their non-EM64T counterparts. We're glad that Intel is making a clear distinction between the two variants, rather than simply adding a new suffix.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2005 at 06:51 PM by number1 »

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 10:35 AM »
Some inputs na rin bro, for starters, dont invest on high end CPU's, better invest on mobo and  memory. Make sure first you know what particular application you need before jumping to the bandwagon of high end elex.

You can check out my good friends website and some related info on budget setup to high end gears you may need to understand to:

http://www.pimp-my-rig.com

for budget gaming rig, check this out:
http://www.pimp-my-rig.com/?sec=article
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2005 at 10:38 AM by ADM202E »