Author Topic: Sound Difference bet. SS and Tube Amp  (Read 17798 times)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Sound Difference bet. SS and Tube Amp
« Reply #90 on: Jul 20, 2015 at 03:32 PM »
that is an easy one to address.....trust me...;)
tbh, this is the first time for me to hear about the 5 volt input sensitivity...
in my designs i target 1 volt as input sensitivity...

I trust you and I know you have already addressed this issue in your designs. ;D Ikaw pa! What I'm actually referring to are the aftermarket tube amps.

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #91 on: Jul 22, 2015 at 07:38 AM »
Question po:  if preamps would output 1-2V, do you still need one considering new players cater the same gain level?  Parang hindi na practical.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #92 on: Jul 22, 2015 at 07:43 AM »
I trust you and I know you have already addressed this issue in your designs. ;D Ikaw pa! What I'm actually referring to are the aftermarket tube amps.

see how easy it is to get a clear picture when figures are thrown in....;)
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Jul 22, 2015 at 07:46 AM »
Question po:  if preamps would output 1-2V, do you still need one considering new players cater the same gain level?  Parang hindi na practical.

depends on your personal preference, theoretically there is no need...
but there are those who like pre-amps in their system for a variety of reasons...
IOW, it is a personal thing.....;)

sa welcome rotonda, merong big big audiophile, one time i brought a preamp for him to try,
what he did was to put the preamp in series with with his main preamp....he liked my preamp....;)
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #94 on: Jul 22, 2015 at 07:54 AM »

Well, according to master Tony, since he designed his power amp sa 1 volt input, for level matching, baka hindi na kailangan ng pre amp sa amp niya. But you would still need a preamp to control the input gain and source selection. Though nasubukan ko din naman ang tube power amp without preamp, it's doable naman if you would add a potentiometer sa input, or kung digital source, sa digital side ka mag adjust ng volume.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #95 on: Jul 23, 2015 at 01:19 AM »
Question po:  if preamps would output 1-2V, do you still need one considering new players cater the same gain level? 

Don't forget about impedance matching. Gain level isn't the only thing that matters.

Just because an amp's input section was redesigned to allow lower input levels, say 0.707V doesn't mean it can accept any source input level above 1V. Impedance, distortion, noise and all that are still in play. As with anything in life, changing that has consequences, failure to address that can lead to problems. Gain structuring is something most people, even the technical ones do not understand nor have an idea of what it is. Designers and manufacturers adhere to these so that their products can be paired, to a sincere level, with any known sources out in the market.

For commercial/home use, it is normal to see input/output levels between 0.5V up to 5V peak-to-peak, for pro use, 5V is a standard level without signal clipping.

Parang hindi na practical.

That's why there are numbers and conventions.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked: