Author Topic: The Contender II on AXN  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Compaq

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Contender II on AXN
« on: Mar 18, 2005 at 09:52 AM »
Guys,

Anyone here following The Contender on AXN? What's the schedule?

Medyo anticipated and hyped yung third episode (spoiler alert on YahooTV Site).

The Contender on NBC
The Contender on YahooTV

Thanks and Cheers!!!
Compaq
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2006 at 10:41 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
Re: The Contender on AXN
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2005 at 11:13 AM »
Not a boxing fan, but while you watch The Contender, take a look at ABS-CBN's Kamao (daily after TV Patrol) also.  :) Both are equally good.

The Contender on AXN:
Same Time Premiere as in the U.S.
8 March 10.30am (SIN/THA) 11.30am (HK)
Repeat broadcast at 10pm the same day.
Episode 2: Fri 11 Mar, 10pm (SIN/THA) 11pm (HK)
Episode 3 onwards: Every Mon 9pm (SIN/THA) 10pm (HK)

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 06:26 PM »
Saw 2 episodes of Contender, nice series but they could have concentrated more on showing the training and less talking/taunting by the participants. Also they could have done without the kids games and showed the whole boxing match in its entirety.It's supposed to be a boxing reality show right?

There were a lot of animosity between some of the fighters, don't know if its scripted or not.They could have just let them get at it in ring.Forget the 3 min., let them go 5 per round or till one says uncle.
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 06:47 PM »
caught the first 2 episodes also and it is very interesting... I agree that they should focus more on the training and the bouts... since the episodes are edited, the footage of the fights are very nice since you have several camera angles which highlight and emphasize solid punches and combos...

the feud between fighters though seem scripted ala WWE... parang there isn't enough reason naman for the guys to hate each other THAT much  ;D

I would also like to see the Mixed Martial Arts version of this on local cable TV which is The Ultimate Fighter...  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2005 at 06:48 PM by jeckjeck »

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 04:25 AM »
Tragic Suicide hits "The Contender"
By Miki Turner
Special to Page 3

LOS ANGELES – NBC touted "The Contender" as the "next great human drama," but it got a little more drama than it bargained for when one of the contestants took his own life Feb. 14.

Najai Turpin, a troubled 23-year-old fighter out of Philadelphia, committed suicide, reportedly after a conversation in his car with his longtime girlfriend, Angela Chapple. The tragedy occurred nearly three months after Turpin (13-1) fell to unbeaten Sergio Mora of East Los Angeles in the episode that aired Sunday evening.

Although several of the fighters on this boxing reality show produced by Mark Burnett, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Sylvester Stallone told Page 3 last month that Turpin was a loner struggling with a plethora of personal issues, all were stunned by his suicide.

"I don't know what to think of that because he kept to himself," said Mora, 25, whose victory improved his personal record to 13-0 and helped the West squad go up 4-0 over the East team.

"He slept in a closet and always had this mystique about him. One, no one wanted to fight him because we didn't know nothing about him. Two, he was a slippery fighter when he trained. You know how everyone kind of looks at everyone -- sizing each other up -- he was a real slickster, and he was real short. He was hard to hit and threw a lot of punches -- hundreds of punches, Philadelphia-style.

"Then when I found out he took his life, it was a real shock because he probably had a lot of problems that we didn't know about."

"I'm still not able to really deal with it," added Jonathan Reid, who lost to Jesse Brinkley last week. "We all knew he had had some rough times, but I never thought it would come to this -- not ever."

After he inked his deal with "The Contender," Turpin, who fathered a daughter (now 2 years old) with Chapple, looked as though he was finally going to be in a position to realize his dreams and overcome his past. The oldest of seven kids, Turpin was reared in one of Philly's toughest neighborhoods by a financially strapped single mother. She died when Turpin was 18, forcing him to care and provide for his younger siblings. To make ends meet, he juggled several low-end jobs while continuing to pursue his road out -- boxing.

"He was very devoted to his family," said Peter Manfredo Jr., the first contender to go down in a match against Alfonso Gomez. "That's all he really talked about was his daughter and his family. He loved them."

Yet on the day he should have been celebrating that love, Turpin pumped a bullet into his head. According to published reports in the New York Daily News, Turpin and Chapple had been having a heated discussion over custody of their daughter about 4 a.m. on Valentine's Day. Not long after Chapple left Turpin sitting in his car, Turpin pulled the trigger.

Chapple, however, has disputed the newspaper's claim and the subsequent accusations by Turpin's siblings. Collectively, they have implied that Chapple might have done or said something to push their brother over the edge. Chapple countered the allegations with a written statement conceding that she and Turpin had their problems but saying that, "in our bond we had more love than issues."

The real reason Turpin took his own life might never be known, but it appears it had nothing to do with his loss to Mora or being knocked out of contention for the grand prize of $1 million. Like all of the contenders, Turpin was being paid the $1,500 weekly stipend, and it is quite possible he would have reaped the benefits of having appeared on a network reality show had he not fallen victim to his inner demons.

Miki Turner covers the fusion of sports and entertainment for Page 3 in Los Angeles. She can be reached at [email protected].

Offline Gideon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Galactic Bowler
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2005 at 01:52 AM »
Liked the show, especially the celebrity guest at the ringside.
Begin 2 Imagine
[img]http://http://i3

Offline coco_men182

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 10:28 AM »
Do any of you think that it was required for the aspiring Contenders to attach a photo of their wives on their applications? Most of them are really good-looking. And I don't think that it's a coincidence. That Stallone... such a sly character. Now that's pun-tastic!

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 10:49 PM »
Yep! A lot of pretty wives and girlfriends... Prettiest maybe Amed's girl! She's hot!
There are also not so pretty ones like Ishe's wife  ;D

Offline Compaq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2005 at 08:59 AM »
Ok ang schedule nila ngayon ah. Two fights in one night  ;D

Sergio and Ishe's fight was ok. But Gomez and Ahmed's fight was EXPLOSIVE!!! So much for baby-face Ahmed, time to go home, for the 2nd time  ;D.

Cheers!!!
Compaq
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2005 at 09:06 AM by Compaq »

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2005 at 09:41 AM »
The fights are getting more exciting indeed! Last night's double header was great! I think Alfonso Gomez will win it all but he just needs to beef up his defense... Ahmed almost turned the tables on him last night  ;)

Offline jerq

• Collector
  • Waz up?
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005 at 01:43 PM »
was not able to watch the last two episodes.  any updates?  :)

Offline Compaq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005 at 02:10 PM »

Offline jerq

• Collector
  • Waz up?
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005 at 02:17 PM »
Hi jerq

Episode Recap - http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Contender/episode_recap/w11_p1.shtml

Cheers!!!
Compaq

thanks for the link Compaq.

cheers to you!!

:)

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005 at 09:20 PM »
tonight is the night! The Contender Championship Fight at Caesar's Palace!

I find myself rooting for Sergio "Latin Snake" Mora!  ;D

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005 at 04:45 AM »

A great fight!

I hope there's a season 2 of this. If there is, I hope they fix some of the holes in the format. They can improve on several things from this season.

Maybe next season they can have heavy weight fighters  ;D and Tyson can replace Sugar Ray....  ;D ;D That would be funny

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005 at 12:13 PM »
Really great fight!!! I've been following the show from the beginning and I think it's fantastic. Sergio is really good...Manfredo? too overrated. Also enjoyed the fight between my two bets (yun nga lang, tumba pareho ;)) Alfonso and Jesse. Fonso has really proven his worth, that guy has a chin like no other's. Really hope that there's a 2nd season of this... ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline marty_mcfly

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005 at 02:18 PM »
Regret to inform you that according to an article yesterday, May 25 in The Boston Globe, The Contender will not be back for a 2nd season due to poor ratings. It was also reported that this made the fans in the audience watching the championship fight between Mora and Manfredo to heckle NBC president Jeff Zucker at the encouragement of the announcer. Zucker, who attended the fight, shrugged.

But good news, the Final Four of the reality series will have scheduled fights once again on July 5. For details, please follow either of these links:

http://www.braggingrightscorner.com/contender070505.html

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=3663&more=1
There is no emotion; there is peace.

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005 at 03:17 PM »
oh this is sad news... sana ayusin na lang nila format and try again next season... there were lots of holes in the format kasi... I can't help but wonder what would've happened of either Peter or Sergio were too injured to fight like what happened to other fighters... walang finals??  ???

wasn't a big fan also of bringing back contestants who lost to replace those who cannot continue by voting...

anywayz... was fun while it lasted... maybe Sly tried to save the show by inviting as many of his celebrity friends to the matches... oh well  :)

Offline Marcogol

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005 at 06:28 PM »
well to tell you frankly i really liked the show... the fights, the editing really made boxing entertaining... the fights with edits (the slow motions and musical background) made it dramatic, compared to the finale matches, the finals is nothing but the best contenders (sergio and manfredo).

and yep theres no season two... but is the sched correct about the rematches...

oh and by the way... did you guys happen to notice sly's presentation of the contender belt? man that was really a killer...

"sergio, congratulations you won this well deserved... (pauses for a moment)... BELT!!!"

i mean he couldve added some adjectives before mentioning BELT... like this gold plated somewhat looking belt...

Offline Gideon

• DVD Addict
  • Galactic Bowler
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2005 at 05:32 PM »
Liked the show, because of the Drama and everything. 

Really hope for a 2nd Season and I think thy should replace Sugar Ray with Tyson.  Mas vocal si Tyson and it would really be something.
Begin 2 Imagine
[img]http://http://i3

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: The Contender II on AXN
« Reply #20 on: Jul 20, 2006 at 03:17 PM »
The Contender II premieres TONIGHT, Thursday, July 20th, 9:00PM on AXN.

Official site: http://www.tournamentofcontenders.com/season2.php
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...