Author Topic: Buying Tips for the NEXT ASTROPLUS SALE!!!  (Read 18416 times)

Offline ranran

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Buying Tips for the NEXT ASTROPLUS SALE!!!
« on: Apr 02, 2005 at 11:36 PM »
hi guys i figured after a some painful lesson/s  :'( learned this Summer Sale, some of us can share buying tips for the next sale.  here are some i've come up with:
1.) camp outside the store and be around for the opening hour - as i did which cost me some limited stock titles
2.) go for boxsets 1st - as i missed the Ultimate Matrix boxset
3.) don't hesitate when you see a good buy - as i did with Badboys 2 & AVP
4.) as early as now make a list of titles you'll be wanting to buy and monitor its movement from time to time to anticipate buyer's response.  ::)
5.) take the entire day off to wait in the store for new deliveries!  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2005 at 11:39 PM by ranran »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Buying Tips for the NEXT ASTROPLUS SALE!!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2005 at 11:48 PM »
SAVE SAVE and SAVE so that when the next rainy er, sale comes out you are ready to face the dvds inside Astroplus......its really shop till you drop..... ;D :)

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2005 at 08:50 AM »
1 Don't buy a title just because it's cheap. Choose the ones you really like.  :)

2 Buy titles you have not seen before as this increases the chances that you will view them - I still  have several titles from the last sale that remain sealed  :P

3 Go for box sets, 2 disc editions, special editions (superbits)  first.

4 If you do not see a title you want, ask for assistance as there may be stocks still in boxes

5 Don't over spend because you'll feel bad when you get your credit card bill.  ;D

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2005 at 10:39 AM »
almost all of the suggestions are given above na. ;D
when you are on sale like the one on Podium astro.Pick up all the titles you like and decide on the check out counter na. ;D
But the problem is. When you get all the titles you like. hindi mona makita yung counter sa sobrang dami ng pinili mo. :)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2005 at 11:30 AM »
agree.. get all the titles that catch your eyes and choose na lang what you really want to buy sa counter...

also, equip yourself and research the best releases or scheduled re-releases of the various titles.

8)

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2005 at 10:32 PM »
Apart from the suggestions given above, check out the counter if there are titles there that aren't available on the tables anymore in case somebody changed their mind... Was able to get Schindler's List for P333 this way during the October (?) 2004 sale and Lion King 1 1/2 R1 today by doing this!  ;D

And if you're really intent on stocking up, go at least two separate days!  >:D There's a good chance the titles you missed on the first day you went have been restocked on your second visit, and then some...  ;D

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2005 at 11:20 PM »
SAVE SAVE and SAVE so that when the next rainy er, sale comes out you are ready to face the dvds inside Astroplus......its really shop till you drop..... ;D :)

tama yan! i saw a friend of mine at Astroplus today and he said after this sale he's never buying at regular price again.  so my advice would be to make a list of titles you like, SAVE, SAVE & SAVE then when the sale comes...ATTACK nalang ng ATTACK.  ;D

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2005 at 10:11 PM »
tama yan! i saw a friend of mine at Astroplus today and he said after this sale he's never buying at regular price again.  so my advice would be to make a list of titles you like, SAVE, SAVE & SAVE then when the sale comes...ATTACK nalang ng ATTACK.  ;D

Go for three days also ranran if the sale goes for 3 days as cherubrock said me mga titles that you did not see on the first day of the sale.

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 12:06 AM »
Go for three days also ranran if the sale goes for 3 days as cherubrock said me mga titles that you did not see on the first day of the sale.
Well, that’s serves as a lesson to all of us.  From now on save, save, save.  Buy only DVD’s that are not available on local market or collectors, LE.  If the DVD’s that you want is available here in the Philippines and is not that important to buy ASAP. Wait for the sale.

But sometimes I regret buying region 3 talaga. I got the Desperado and Crouching tiger superbit with different cover art and slips case. I wonder Where Magna got those???  Sometimes they have a title that has different DVD case and cover art??  Different supplier perhaps or locally made packaging??  Worst that those bootleg ones:-X
Well ok lang.Sale naman diba.  Napapansin ko lang.  Every time that astro podium has a sale.  They always bring out those low quality cases and cover art from Magna video.  And Warner video is following the trend of low quality cases and cover arts that are like Xerox one’s???
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2005 at 02:09 AM by baby »

Offline duncanfranchise

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • Collector
  • Don't think you are; know you are.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 01:39 AM »
Well,that's serves as lesson to all of us.  From now on save,save,save.Buy only dvd's that are not available on local market or collectors,LE.  If the dvd's that you want is available here in the Philippines and is not that important to buy asap. Wait for the sale.

But sometimes i regret buying region 3 talaga. I got the Desperado and Crouching tiger superbit with different cover art and slip case. I wonder Where Magna got those???  Somtimes they have a titles that has different dvd case and cover art??  Different supplier perhaps or locally made packaging??  Wost that those bootleg one's :-X
Well ok lang.Sale naman diba.  Napapansin ko lang.  Every time that astro podium has a sale.  They always bring out those low quality cases and cover art from Magna video.  And Warner video is following the tred of low quality cases and cover arts that are like Zerox one's ???

Ngek!  Di ko napansin.  Nakakuha rin ako ng Desperado at Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Superbit.

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 06:10 PM »
Well, that’s serves as a lesson to all of us.  From now on save, save, save.  Buy only DVD’s that are not available on local market or collectors, LE.  If the DVD’s that you want is available here in the Philippines and is not that important to buy ASAP. Wait for the sale.

i agree! i'm actually applying this principle now.  ;D

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2005 at 08:11 PM »
- The same title appear on every sale.  If you missed it, don't worry, it'll be there for you eventually.  If you keep showing up at every sale, picking up DVDs here and there, you'll eventually have all that you need.  No need to panic and "gotta have it all right now" because there'll always be a sale.  I remember back a few months ago when people were panicking and making special trips to pick up all Alien DVDs and Die Hard SE DVDs.  Now, it's sitting on every Astro shelves gathering dust at P250.

- A crap title is still crap no matter if it's P550 or P333.  Don't buy DVDs because it's cheap, buy it because you want to keep watching it.  If you don't apply this principle, you'll find yourself with a shelf full of these crap titles you'll never watch more than once.

- I personally go for the Superbit title first, then 2 DVD SE.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2005 at 08:22 PM »
Not all titles are available anymore. For example, there were a lot of beauty and the beast se, finding nemo and monsters inc dvds in previous sale events. this time, quite few. Make sure to prioritize the titles you really wanted to get, it might not be available anymore.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2005 at 09:00 PM »
be there when the store opens so that you have first dibs at everything... the early bird gets the worm ika nga ;D plus, the store won't be as crowded... maybe for the next 30 minutes to 1 hour  ;D

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2005 at 11:34 PM »
you could also keep showing up time and time again to check if there are any new stocks for those hard to find titles... or simply warm up to any sales person and reserve some titles that will be replenished within the sale.   ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 08:51 AM »
Based on experienced with the recent sale,better to go there a DAY before the actual sale to reserve the titles you want(sorry sir firewired)and best to pay for it agad so you wont miss on popular titles. Sana they come up with a ONE DAY SALE exclusively for PINOYDVD members like what RUSTANS is doing for valued clients. Im sure the sale and commercial mileage they'll get from PINOYDVD MEMBERS will be more than worthwhile for them.What do you think guys? sabay na sa EB natin. ;D ;D ;D

Offline maverickph

• Collector
  • DVD Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 09:35 AM »
Hindi na siguro kailangan ng one day sale sa mga pinoydvd member. Basta may sale ng dvd asahan mo first day palang puro pinoy member na yung nakapila dun. He heh he. ;D
Happy to meet You.

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 10:08 AM »
warm up to any sales person and reserve some titles that will be replenished within the sale.

better to go there a DAY before the actual sale to reserve the titles you want(sorry sir firewired)

From what I heard, the owner of Astro agreed not to accept reservations anymore for the upcoming sales.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 11:09 AM »
From what I heard, the owner of Astro agreed not to accept reservations anymore for the upcoming sales.

Reservations pwede i-deny.  But what if the buyer offers to pay na rin kagad specially the hours nearing closing time?

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 11:15 AM »
Sales should begin and end exactly on the date and time advertised. Making exceptions wouldn't be fair to other buyers. :)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 11:26 AM »
They won't allow the advanced payments either the night before. It's not a lost sale to them because customers are probably looking for those titles anyway and will scoop 'em up when the sale period officially starts.

You can try to reserve but I don't think it'll get you anywhere. Even if the salesperson accepts your reservation, it probably won't be honored the following day. The first guy who comes along and decides he wants your stash... gets it.

May nakita na akong nagsisigawan because of a reservation issue... it ain't pretty.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2005 at 11:32 AM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 11:48 AM »
Kung sabagay masaya din naman talaga yung nakikipag-unahan sa mga titles eh,iba yung thrill and excitement ;Dsorry for my suggestion last time po kasi wala na ako naabutan eh lahat ng type ko titles reserved na daw andoon sa likod ng counter so i thought next time gaya ko din ;D ;D ;D

Offline Chivalry

• Collector
  • Chivalry is not dead!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 12:02 PM »
Sales should begin and end exactly on the date and time advertised. Making exceptions wouldn't be fair to other buyers. :)

True!!! ;D

They won't allow the advanced payments either the night before. It's not a lost sale to them because customers are probably looking for those titles anyway and will scoop 'em up when the sale period officially starts.

You can try to reserve but I don't think it'll get you anywhere. Even if the salesperson accepts your reservation, it probably won't be honored the following day. The first guy who comes along and decides he wants your stash... gets it.

May nakita na akong nagsisigawan because of a reservation issue... it ain't pretty.

YES!!! i just hope the shop people can implement this policy firmly... 
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 12:09 PM »
No prob... just wanted to make that clear early on so people don't get their hopes up.

Final word on Megamall and Galleria by Wednesday next week. Astro Podium probably won't be joining the mid-October sale unfortunately.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 12:09 PM »
If you guys want to get rid of reserve reserve tactics, then do this -  Call Astro the night before and reserve 10 titles.  Have your friends do the same and don't pick them up.  Do that enough times and they'll get rid of it.  when they have stacks full of reserve in the back and nobody is picking them up, that'll change the rules.

I don't blame pinoydvd members reserving, it's part of the game.  If Astro allows it, then blame Astro.  How is that different from a member who would pakyaw every R1 title of the same title so he could sell it on Ebay and leave us pinoy out in the cold?  He's operating within the rules so I don't see anything wrong with it.

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 12:24 PM »
Great tips here. Here are mine:
1. Upon learning of a sale, start saving up already.
2. Make a list of what titles you want to get. (I usually go for SEs, CEs, non-regular eds.)
3. Get there before the store opens. I'm sure there are other pinoydvd members outside to keep you company while waiting for the store to open.
4. Go directly to the boxed-sets, special editions,etc.
5. Take the entire day off (if possible), you'll never know how long you're gonna be there.

With that said, see you guys sa Oct.14. ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 12:38 PM »
No prob... just wanted to make that clear early on so people don't get their hopes up.

Final word on Megamall and Galleria by Wednesday next week. Astro Podium probably won't be joining the mid-October sale unfortunately.

Sir firewired,

Since the coming Astroplus Sale seems to be because of it's anniversary, do you have information if branches in the North (i.e. SM North Edsa) will be included. Thanks very much!

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 12:40 PM »
I don't blame pinoydvd members reserving, it's part of the game. If Astro allows it, then blame Astro. How is that different from a member who would pakyaw every R1 title of the same title so he could sell it on Ebay and leave us pinoy out in the cold? He's operating within the rules so I don't see anything wrong with it.

I suppose getting around the system makes sense, because it works.  ::)

If you're stuck in traffic in a long lane of cars, and someone decides to do counterflow and goes ahead to the start of the lane, and the traffic aide sees him and doesn't say anything, then it's ok. Then of course other drivers see it's ok and they follow suit, taking up half of the other lane, to the irritation of the incoming cars and the other drivers who patiently stayed in the proper lane. But hey it's part of the game, and the counterflow drivers are just being clever and resourceful, right?

Or if you're in a long queue for something (bank, store, buffet table, etc) and someone cuts in and successfully gets away with it, then I guess there's nothing wrong with it. Even if the others in line are glaring at him and are too polite to say anything, to heck with them right? In fact they're probably thinking, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!". :D
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2005 at 12:50 PM by DVDiva »

Offline nicomd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 03:51 PM »

I just hope Astro keeps his word.

It's just so frustating to see all those DVDs in the counter na nakatali pa. Dapat pala nakipagsigawan din ako and insisted on getting those Alladin R1s on the counter. (j.k.)

Offline Chivalry

• Collector
  • Chivalry is not dead!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 04:09 PM »
If you guys want to get rid of reserve reserve tactics, then do this - Call Astro the night before and reserve 10 titles. Have your friends do the same and don't pick them up. Do that enough times and they'll get rid of it. when they have stacks full of reserve in the back and nobody is picking them up, that'll change the rules.

hehe! its similar to the approach used in training pets...  ;D

I don't blame pinoydvd members reserving, it's part of the game. If Astro allows it, then blame Astro. How is that different from a member who would pakyaw every R1 title of the same title so he could sell it on Ebay and leave us pinoy out in the cold? He's operating within the rules so I don't see anything wrong with it.

but now Astro said they'll be changing the rules...  ;)
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.