Author Topic: DISC CLINIC cds and dvds nursed back to life (does it work?)  (Read 12070 times)

Offline jackrabbit

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • DVD is Life
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
In front of ACE hardware at festival alabang a salesperson with those microphones sold me this DISC CLINIC product that he assured me would run any scratched cds or dvds. Any of you guys tried it?

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Disc Clinic Disc Cleaning & Repair Kit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 06:06 PM »
bumping this... saw it at ACE Hardware Festival today...

does anyone know if this works?  ??? ??? you put the cd inside what looks like a "UFO" disc case with 2 small cleaning pads. you then turn some device and the dics inside spins and is supposed to get cleaned and any small scratches causing skipping would be repaired... BTW, you need to moisten the pads with a cleaning/repair solution...

need to know lang since I have a few old cds that are skipping because of some scratches... this is supposed to work also for most disc formats - cds, cd-roms, cdrws, vcds, and even DVDs...

it costs P599 I think...

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: DISC CLINIC cds and dvds nursed back to life (does it work?)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 10:55 PM »
My cousin invested in the electric powered cd-dvd repair machine,basically its the same principle as the one being sold at ace only far  far superior in quality and results.Yes it uses chemicals to buff away even deep scratches without altering the balance of the disc.He services rental shops ;D

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2006 at 01:42 AM »
My cousin invested in the electric powered cd-dvd repair machine,basically its the same principle as the one being sold at ace only far  far superior in quality and results.Yes it uses chemicals to buff away even deep scratches without altering the balance of the disc.He services rental shops ;D

thanks ricky... hmmm... must be worth a try  ::)

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:09 AM »
Anyone who tried it( those that can be found in ACE).
Is it really effective?
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 09:39 PM »
thanks ricky... hmmm... must be worth a try  ::)

hi eli, pls let me know how well this product works.  it would definitely be a must have for any DVD collector.  ;)

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 09:41 PM »
hi eli, pls let me know how well this product works.  it would definitely be a must have for any DVD collector.  ;)

okay ran... might get this with in the week...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 09:04 AM »
i purchased a scratch repair kit from odyssey a couple of years ago to fix some old and scratched audio CDs ... basically it had a paste that you had to buff in circular motions onto the scratched area. then a solution to clean off the excess... it looked worse after all that since the pasting and the buffing adds more scratches... but guess what? it worked.

i heard that a cheap alternative is to use toothpaste... altho i haven't tried that one.

i'm guessing that this kit basically does the same thing... except it makes the "buffing" part easier.  ;)

Offline Movie_Geek_Tom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • "Heres looking at you,kid."
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 09:45 PM »
i purchased a scratch repair kit from odyssey a couple of years ago to fix some old and scratched audio CDs ... basically it had a paste that you had to buff in circular motions onto the scratched area. then a solution to clean off the excess... it looked worse after all that since the pasting and the buffing adds more scratches... but guess what? it worked.

i heard that a cheap alternative is to use toothpaste... altho i haven't tried that one.

Ive learned the toothpaste method when I was in the U.S. and ive been doing it since the playstation one era. It really works all you have to do is rub a small amount of toothpaste rub all over the cd/dvd wash then wipe gently. You'll see that your disc has the same shine, clean and luster as if it was just a newly bought dvd with a few scratches though.   

i'm guessing that this kit basically does the same thing... except it makes the "buffing" part easier. ;)
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 Plasma 3D
McIntosh MC-2102 Amp
Snell THX 9.4 Speaker Setup

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2006 at 03:39 PM »
Up ko lang uli.

May naka-try na ba nito or you just opt for a toothpaste?

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2006 at 06:22 PM »
Up ko lang uli.

May naka-try na ba nito or you just opt for a toothpaste?

Embarassing as it may sound, I happen to have purchased a number of items from those demo booths and the Disc Clinic happens to be one of those purchases.  An officemate of mine brought his badly worn out disc, we tried playing it in the drive of my office PC, and it couldn't be read.  We then spun it in Disc Clinic and guess what--the disc was amazingly read successfully!  How's that for a successful first-hand testimony?  :D

Offline fpy

• Apprentice
  • cddvdrescue.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2006 at 11:13 PM »
Embarassing as it may sound, I happen to have purchased a number of items from those demo booths and the Disc Clinic happens to be one of those purchases.  An officemate of mine brought his badly worn out disc, we tried playing it in the drive of my office PC, and it couldn't be read.  We then spun it in Disc Clinic and guess what--the disc was amazingly read successfully!  How's that for a successful first-hand testimony?  :D

I'm not surprised. I've tried a few disc cleaning machines to evaluate their performance. Thing is, most of the cleaning machines offer a cleaning solution which is basically just purified water with a mixture of isopropyl alchohol. It's actually a good mix but is limited in its application. Most of the time, the cleaning solutions will do just that - clean. It will not remove scratches but in many cases, removing even just a little dirt will "fix" skipping and read problems. Buffing out the scratches is a different matter altogether. Check out my site - i have a before and after set of pics for some scratches. One good thing about video discs and players are that they are incredibly fault tolerant so often just a good cleaning will do fine.

BTW, careful when you reuse those pads on your disc cleaning machines; you may be doing more harm than good. Never operate them dry.

With regards to toothpaste some people on the 'net swear that it works. Others swear that a silver cleaning compound called "Brillo" in the US works better. I'm hesitant to try them because toothpaste may contain abrasives (depending on the brand of course) and metal cleaners are only tested on metals.

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2006 at 12:21 AM »
Thanks for the helpful insights, FPY.  Here's the catch: my officemate tried cleaning the CD before we tried it on the Disc Clinic and it was the Disc Clinic which nailed the job.  ;)  (although I'm sure it won't do miracles on scratches that are beyond repair)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2006 at 07:58 AM »
This Disc Clinic sounds interesting, I'll try to purchase one for some audio CDs that I'm having trouble with.

Slightly OT though -- what do you guys use to just clean your DVDs and CDs? I opened some of my CDs and I noticed that there are a few them that are starting to develop a bit of mildew.

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2006 at 04:46 PM »
I tried rubbing it with a dry cloth which is being advertised as very absorbent (I forgot the name sensya na) nagasgas sya.

So don't ever ever try it.

Offline fpy

• Apprentice
  • cddvdrescue.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2006 at 09:31 AM »
I posted this on the forum "scratches" i hope it helps you. :

Dry wiping any disc is a surefire way to cause scratches; acrylics, polycarbonates and any other plastic is pretty susceptible to scratching despite care. Use a fine blower brush to blast off dust.  Try using a cotton ball dampened with purified or distilled (not mineral) water to wipe off smudges. do it gently though and make sure your cotton is not sopping wet. careful, if your disc surface has some small holes, liquid may penetrate the protective layer.

BTW, i do professional recovery if any of you have unreadable discs you want to have repaired.

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2007 at 03:28 AM »
uy how much po pa-recover ng scratched cd's? ano pong method gamit nyo?

i heard one machine that seems to be melting the tiniest bit of layer sa bottom ng cd plastic thus making the cd scratchless once again.
LAKAD PILIPINAS: Explore the Philippines & Beyond

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2007 at 05:51 PM »
anything that involves melting doesn't seem promising for CD's  ::)

Offline bukoy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2007 at 04:13 PM »
sana magkaroon ng SKIPPY DISC shop d2 nag-re-rpair sila ng damage disc, ung mga business inclined dyan dalhin nyo d2 sa Pinas ung SKIPPY disc, cgurado ako patok ng negosyo ito. www.skippydisc.com

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2007 at 05:39 PM »
i just use small amount of rubbing compound to remove scratches and car wax to brighten it up again and it works for me for as long as I can remember.  ;D

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 08:23 AM »
anything that involves melting doesn't seem promising for CD's  ::)

eto nga yata yung nakita ko as posted by sir buknoy:
www.skippydisc.com

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 07:59 PM »
sana magkaroon ng SKIPPY DISC shop d2 nag-re-rpair sila ng damage disc, ung mga business inclined dyan dalhin nyo d2 sa Pinas ung SKIPPY disc, cgurado ako patok ng negosyo ito. www.skippydisc.com

I remember getting a flyer from DataBlitz regarding disc scratch removal services offered locally. Can't remeber the details though :( :(. Much better to make backup copies to be kept for future use.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 10:28 PM »

I finally found time to try to watch my Kitchen Confidential DVD, and before placing Disc One into my player, I dropped it, and it got a few scratches. When I finally played it, episode two would pause and stall in the exact same place - no matter which player I used. I tried wiping the area with a slightly moist microfiber cloth - no deal, disc still would stall.

Since I figured I might as well give it a shot before tossing the disc out and ordering a new copy, I placed a bit of toothpaste on a q-tip, rubbed it gently on the deep scratches, then wiped it off with the microfiber cloth, moving in straight lines from inner to outer circumference.

The disc now works perfectly.  ;D

Toothpaste works!

My question now is - should I rinse the disc off so it doesn't smell minty-fresh, and if I do... should I use Listerine?  :P
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 06:35 AM »
haha ayos! galing!  ;D