Author Topic: spikes for floorstanders  (Read 1423 times)

Offline greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • YEHEY!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
spikes for floorstanders
« on: Apr 11, 2005 at 12:27 PM »
HI! I would just like to know if it's necessarry to install the spikes to my gale 3040 floorstanders. Would it really improved the sound quality it produces? Or are they only for carpeted floors?

Also im planning to get a pair of wharf 9.1 as an additional set of front speakers (speaker b). I've auditioned them at mega they impressed me a lot despite the low price of Php 5500. I hope to get some feedback from you experts. :)
SPINWEB
"Moving businesses online."
http://www.spinweb.ph/

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: spikes for floorstanders
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2005 at 01:51 PM »
Spikes are meant to anchor the speakers to the floor through a carpet so they don't move with the sound.  They are also meant to decouple the speaker cabinet vibes from the floor and back.  The smaller the contact area with the floor surface, the better.  So they will benefit as well with wooden, concrete or marble/granite floors.  Just put coin under to prevent damage to a wooden floor.

Offline greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • YEHEY!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2005 at 03:35 PM »
thank you sir for your reply. i guess i really need to place them on my speaker even if I don't like them aesthetically. :)
SPINWEB
"Moving businesses online."
http://www.spinweb.ph/

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2006 at 09:38 PM »
Are there any Lovan footers available sa atin?

For protection of wooden floors against damage from spikes. Kung wala, baka magpa-machine shop na lang ako.

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2006 at 06:19 AM »
Are there any Lovan footers available sa atin?

For protection of wooden floors against damage from spikes. Kung wala, baka magpa-machine shop na lang ako.

bought some before at spectra, makati.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2006 at 08:31 AM »
Spikes are meant to anchor the speakers to the floor through a carpet so they don't move with the sound.  They are also meant to decouple the speaker cabinet vibes from the floor and back.  The smaller the contact area with the floor surface, the better.  So they will benefit as well with wooden, concrete or marble/granite floors.  Just put coin under to prevent damage to a wooden floor.

Speaking about that "smaller contact to the floor, the better sound output" thing, this can be similarly achieved, i think, not only through these spikes but by the use of several wheels. The advantage of using these is that, wheels are more floor-friendly and and more convenient to use because at the same time, you can freely move your floorstanders wherever you want them to be--  ;D

I do not have critical ears to hear any sonic improvement though, my satisfaction is just the thought that i followed the principle. Maybe it is more to the fact that it become very easy for me to move them around the house.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2006 at 08:39 AM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2006 at 08:57 AM »
if your speakers came with the spikes - i suggest you use them. i had my diamond 8.4's for several months before i finally installed the spikes and the improvement was quite noticeable :)
money is best spent

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2006 at 10:03 AM »
bought some before at spectra, makati.

Thanks for the quick reply, sir.  Punta ako sa Spectra.

if your speakers came with the spikes - i suggest you use them. i had my diamond 8.4's for several months before i finally installed the spikes and the improvement was quite noticeable :)

Sir, paki-describe naman ng konti kung ano ang improvement.  I plan to get a Diamond 9.5; it comes with spikes daw.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2006 at 10:09 AM by barrister »

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2006 at 10:45 AM »
The wheels will make the the whole cabinet move back easier..no good

Speaking about that "smaller contact to the floor, the better sound output" thing, this can be similarly achieved, i think, not only through these spikes but by the use of several wheels. The advantage of using these is that, wheels are more floor-friendly and and more convenient to use because at the same time, you can freely move your floorstanders wherever you want them to be--  ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2006 at 10:51 AM »
Oo nga naman.  Gumagalaw pa rin kahit may brakes pa ang wheel casters.  Nevertheless, it's a good compromise because you are still isolating the speaker baffles from the floor.

In my case, however, my floor is varnished hardwood (no floor wax).  Even wheel casters can still leave marks. 
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2006 at 10:55 AM by barrister »