Author Topic: Philips 5500s(new dvd player w/ SACD)  (Read 18806 times)

Offline TimSavvy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Player Enthusiast :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Philips 5500s(new dvd player w/ SACD)
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2005 at 09:13 AM »
I had a 5500S for a night and it's not worth P6,7xx

My NextBase can reads DVD/CDs faster plus the NextBase remote is more ergonomic than the 5500S.

The 5500S also has no Volume Control. (for those of you guys that doesn't have an Amp w/ remote.  That sucks especially cuz I tried hooking it up on my Altec Lansing 621 which has a wired remote.)

I got a Fukuda 881 instead.  I can do pretty much everything the Philips 5500S can do plus it has VOLUME CONTROL on the remote at HALF THE PRICE!!

One year warranty for the Fukuda 881 is fine w/ me.  My NextBase has been w/ me for about 2 yrs now and is still going strong.   I'm assuming that I have to upgrade to another player that can read more formats in about 3-4yrs from now so investing on a Branded Player that costs twice than a generic one is a definite no no for me.

For more information about the Fukuda 881 DivX Player, please visit the Generic Players Forum. :)

I'm starting to love mine each day!! :)  (napa bili tuloy ako ng DVD writer ng di oras to write my own DivX compilation) :)

and oh, almost forgot, I returned the Philips 5500S to Anson's Galleria the next day I got it.  The manager was giving me such a hard time, hanggang ngayon di pa na re-reverse yung transaction namin last April 25, 2005.   The manager there is a bit rude.  [for more information about my bad Anson's Galleria Experience, please read the Ganz Klar DivX Player thread at the Generic Players Forum] :)

<peace>

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2005 at 01:32 PM »
and oh, almost forgot, I returned the Philips 5500S to Anson's Galleria the next day I got it.  The manager was giving me such a hard time, hanggang ngayon di pa na re-reverse yung transaction namin last April 25, 2005.   The manager there is a bit rude.  [for more information about my bad Anson's Galleria Experience, please read the Ganz Klar DivX Player thread at the Generic Players Forum] :)

<peace>

naku kenzo, i suggest you go back there and have them call the bank para ma-reverse yung transaction. sandali lang naman yun. chances are, nde pa nila natatawagan yung bank. tumawag ka rin to inform the bank na meron kang transaction na ipapa-cancel.

btw, nde ko masyado naintindihan. what's the use of the volume control?

thanks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005 at 01:37 PM by bumblebee »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2005 at 01:57 PM »
btw, nde ko masyado naintindihan. what's the use of the volume control?

thanks.
I think he is referring to the player's playback level or output level control.  This feature is not present in most if not all branded DVD players.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2005 at 02:03 PM »
I think he is referring to the player's playback level or output level control.  This feature is not present in most if not all branded DVD players.

thanks, sir av. i was just wondering how this feature is gonna be helpful w/ his setup.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2005 at 02:16 PM »
thanks, sir av. i was just wondering how this feature is gonna be helpful w/ his setup.

Since his speaker system does not have remote/wireless control.. then it would not be very easy to change the listening volume/level.

If you have receiver, then this feature (of the DVD player) is next to useless.. IMHO.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005 at 02:22 PM »
Since his speaker system does not have remote/wireless control.. then it would not be very easy to change the listening volume/level.

If you have receiver, then this feature (of the DVD player) is next to useless.. IMHO.

thanks, sir Philander, for the clarification :)

Offline shoestrings

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2005 at 05:53 PM »
as for the volume control for the philips dvp5500s i really dont mind if it doesnt have one..
my JVC XV-N50BK doesnt have one but im really happy with it..   my philips 762k have a volume control feature on the remote but never thought of it as useful because i connect the player directly to an amplifier with a separate remote....
though the player is quite expensive or double the price of the fukuda 881 but we were very satisfied with this player.. and never thought of returning it back..
I spent the summer wasting
The time was passed so easily

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005 at 05:58 PM »
kenzo823,

Aside from the lack of volume control in the Philips 5500s SACD player, what else are the reason(s) that made you decided to return the unit?

Offline p.dividdy2

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Galit Na Si Manoy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2005 at 05:06 AM »
i think thats the primary reason he mentioned in the other thread...
PinoyBazaar - Shop Easy!
http://pinoybazaar.forumotion.com

Offline kenobi

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2005 at 08:21 AM »
Few nice things i like about philips 5500s are its firmware upgradable, it can play OGM files and can play most common subtitles like .sub, .srt, .ssa etc.  :)

The no volume control and the 2-secs eject button on the remote doesnt matter with me.  ;D

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • HD Player Enthusiast :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2005 at 12:05 PM »
kenzo823,

Aside from the lack of volume control in the Philips 5500s SACD player, what else are the reason(s) that made you decided to return the unit?

1) Price
2) a bit slow in reading discs

i think volume control on the remote is still important to me even if i have a wireless remote for my speakers.
reason being, is because I'm used to fastforwarding then change volumes before or after searching for a specific scene.. <wink>..

other than being twice as expensive as fukuda, I think it would look nice on my TV stand.. thou I rarely have any visitors or i turn my lights off when I watch movies on my bed..  I don't have any SACD yet..  I might sell my Fukuda in case SACD player is already a necessity.

As of now, I'm enjoying my crapuda at half the price :)  it can play virtually everything i have. :)

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2005 at 01:40 PM »
But if price was an issue from the very start, why did you purchase it in the first place?

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2005 at 08:56 PM »
anyone used these dvd player for audio considering that it upsamples? whats the assessment?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2005 at 12:01 PM »
Also it would informative to know if this player processes SACD in its native format without PCM conversion.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2005 at 04:07 PM »
Is it true that when in zoom mode, the video displays an OSD at a corner which cannot be removed? TIA

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2005 at 09:03 AM »
hi guys!

any other reviews/experience on this player? i'm considering this as i'm planning to get another player...thanks! 8)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2005 at 01:48 PM »
question...does this model only have 1 video out (composite) and 1 component video out? i saw one at automatic center ayala this lunchtime...no S-video out? or RGB out? also, no toslink out? thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2005 at 01:49 PM »
does this also have internal PAL to NTSC converter? internal DD/DTS decoder?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2005 at 01:59 PM »
question...does this model only have 1 video out (composite) and 1 component video out? i saw one at automatic center ayala this lunchtime...no S-video out? or RGB out? also, no toslink out? thanks!

noticed those too. kinda turned me off. w/ the 0%, 12 mos. promo, dun na lang ako sa pioneer 676a. 8990 na lang. me dvd-a pa.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 at 02:01 PM by bumblebee »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2005 at 02:21 PM »

Yup, read a lone english review on the net that says it lacks s-video out and toslink out.  I wonder how much cost savings Philips got taking these out?

I suppose Philips deliberately designed that omission, requiring the user to use instead the analog 5.1 output and internal audio decoders.   I personally wouldn't mind that as I'd be using this player for SACD playback anyway for the most part.  (but first I still want to hear about its SACD decoding) This model must be the cheapest SACD player available locally.   It also has prologic II and DTS built in. The specs on the net I saw says PAL/NTSC.  So I suppose it can play both.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 at 02:31 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline boomjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2005 at 12:02 AM »
I recently bought this unit and it is really good for SACD playback, not to mention redbook CDs.  It is a big improvement from my Pioneer player, but again walang comparison kasi wala naman SACD decoder yung Pioneer ko.  I believe this unit decodes the DSD track on SACD rather than convert it to PCM coz Philips can't afford to bring out a product that does not promote true SACD decoding which they invented in the first place.  Yung nga lang, all the other interfaces like toslink, s-video, etc. were removed to make this the cheapest 'true' SACD playback capable player.

But believe me, the sound is really very good and I know since my set-up can reveal the differences in the front-ends used.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jun 02, 2005 at 05:24 PM »
hi boomjam, have you compared the cd playback of this player with cd-only players? just curious how it compares as i'll be buying one soon. thanks

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 09:44 AM »
john, sent you an SMS...thanks!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 03:29 PM »
This Philips 5500S seems to be a reasonably priced unit that can upgrade a basic 5.1 set-up like what I have. 

1)  It does have a built-in prologic II decoder that can give better surround sound even for stereo sources.  I don't have this mode in my 5.1 preamp. 

2)  It can upsample the 44.1hz CD up to 176.4 (4X)  which is said to provide better high frequency responses with a smoother after DAC filtering instead of a brick-wall filltering and its attendant phase shifts.  But only in Stereo mode.  Not in prologic mode.

3)  It plays SACD presumably in its native DSD format.

Having said that, I don't  think I can benefit from its 12bit video DAC as my TV is not yet progressive.  And my preamps cannot accept component video inputs, only S-video which is sadly lacking in this unit. 

If ever I get this, it would act as a CD player for upsampled stereo or prologic II surround playback of CDs.  And as SACD player. 

On thing I noticed in my downloaded manual, it will not play the CD layer of a Hybrid SACD.
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2005 at 03:30 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #54 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 04:13 PM »
If ever I get this, it would act as a CD player for upsampled stereo or prologic II surround playback of CDs.  And as SACD player. 

Bro,
Go for this Panasonic DVD-F87, very good for audio playback w/ upsampling.

***** SPECS *****
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=F&storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=69606&catGroupId=11059&modelNo=DVD-F87S&surfModel=DVD-F87S&ignoreRedirect=1

***** REVIEW *****
http://shop.hardwarecentral.com/xPR-Panasonic_DVD_F87~RD-152128032388

***** MANUAL *****
http://www.panasonic.ca/PDP/OperatingInstructions/dvdf87-oi-eng.pdf

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 05:28 PM »
Nice review for this panasonic model.  Upsampling a high resolution DVD-A is perhaps a bit of an overkill already.  But ofcourse, nothing is overkill in this hobby.   ;D  Too bad it can't play SACD.  That's what I need.  So maybe this model can be an upgrade to my current Yamaha DVD-A player.  Is this model available locally?  How much? But I still need an SACD player.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2005 at 05:30 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #56 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 06:03 PM »
Nice review for this panasonic model.  Upsampling a high resolution DVD-A is perhaps a bit of an overkill already.  But ofcourse, nothing is overkill in this hobby.   ;D  Too bad it can't play SACD.  That's what I need.  So maybe this model can be an upgrade to my current Yamaha DVD-A player.  Is this model available locally?  How much? But I still need an SACD player.  Thanks.

Not sure if available there but it costs 229sgd (7.5k pesos)  here. I have tried playing sacd and has read the CD layer then outputs as DPL2 music (my amp set to 5.1 ch input). It was so good that I only find a slight difference (I think, only in the rear speakers output) when playing the same SACD multi-ch layer w/ Pioneer 655a.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2005 at 01:33 PM by JT »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jun 09, 2005 at 03:11 PM »
Finally got the chance to have the 5500s tested at SM appliance in Sucat.   Was able to confirm it has an annoying magnification value displayed on screen  that won't go away in zoom mode.  The player doesn't play the CD layer of a hybrid SACD.  No S-video out, no toslink out.  And for some reason, after hearing my SACD disc play for a few minutes, the audio disappeared completely.  Couldn't hear anything with CD or DVDs.  So I couldn't test their upsampling features.  SOmething wrong with their demo player.  Too bad it's the only item they have on stock.  So I went home empty handed.  ;D

Offline meledson

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jun 15, 2005 at 04:29 PM »
I was able to get this player yesterday.  So far no problems.  It plays all the disks that my old player cannot (but played before).

I have wired the 5.1 output to my 5.1 computer speakers.  The component video to my TV.  But there is no extra stereo output to connect to the TV.  the result - the TV is not wired for sound.  Will buy this evening 2 rca male to 2 rca female to split the front L&R.  and to be able to wire the TV for sound.

Is there a was to know the firmware version of my player and is this player "flashable"?

Offline sebman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Guru
  • yes mi lord
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 18, 2005 at 10:58 AM »
got this dvd player from abensons as a replacement for my old 727K which conked out after 1.5 years of used.. luckily i got their extended warranty deal..  ::)  ;D will test it throughly this weekend...  >:D  O0