Author Topic: The Nora Aunor Thread  (Read 265581 times)

Offline pinoymovies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Nora Aunor Thread
« Reply #1170 on: Feb 22, 2009 at 06:28 AM »
Most of Nora's early recordings were featured in her late 60's, early '70's movies. We have to remember that Nora started as a singer, so her early appearances in the movies were basically song numbers. Songs from the album featured in a movie. For example, Nora singing the song "The Music Played" from the Nora Aunor Sings album in her first movie "All Over the World" (someone said that in one of the forum).

I'm trying to make a list of her songs including which movie it was used and from which album you can find the particular song. I've only listed four songs so far but I'll continue to add to this list. Check the url below...

http://pinoy-movies.blogspot.com/search/label/discography

If anyone has any info to add to this discography list, post it here. Thanks.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1171 on: Feb 22, 2009 at 01:51 PM »
Most of Nora's early recordings were featured in her late 60's, early '70's movies. We have to remember that Nora started as a singer, so her early appearances in the movies were basically song numbers. Songs from the album featured in a movie. For example, Nora singing the song "The Music Played" from the Nora Aunor Sings album in her first movie "All Over the World" (someone said that in one of the forum).

I'm trying to make a list of her songs including which movie it was used and from which album you can find the particular song. I've only listed four songs so far but I'll continue to add to this list. Check the url below...

http://pinoy-movies.blogspot.com/search/label/discography

If anyone has any info to add to this discography list, post it here. Thanks.

Appreciate the input. Well, maybe in the future there will be an all-out Nora Aunor movie theme songs spanning 60's to the latest.

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2009 at 01:54 PM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1172 on: Mar 12, 2009 at 06:44 PM »
From Video 48, Nora Aunor's other leading men, 1970-1974:

http://video48.blogspot.com/2009/02/nora-aunors-other-leading-men-circa_19.html

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1173 on: Mar 12, 2009 at 06:48 PM »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1174 on: May 19, 2009 at 12:25 PM »
..... here is a story about her superfan.

`Superfan': The gay behind Ate Guy

By Meryll Yan, Contributor

05/16/2009

Before Manny Pacquiao and even before Judy Ann Santos and Sharon Cuneta,
there was one person who epitomized the word "idol" and that was actress
Nora Aunor. Nora is the Filipino dream made real.

Plucked from a life of poverty and obscurity and thrust into the stage, she
started collecting singing trophies at the age of 11 and later won in the
Tawag ng Tanghalan show. The rest, as they say, is history, and the
chocolate-skinned, plain-faced girl would rewrite all the showbiz rules and
go on to become the Superstar.

Philippine showbiz may have already produced a constellation of talents, but
none can yet rival the Superstar, or Ate Guy as she is fondly called by her
supporters. Many a biography has been done on the great Nora Aunor, but none
yet to feature her most loyal devotee — Mandy Diaz.

That is, until now.

Thanks to Clodualdo "Doy" del Mundo Jr., the pen behind iconic films Maynila
sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag, Kisapmata and 'Merika, Diaz now gets to tell his
story.

Superfan, the latest digital short film written, produced and directed by
Del Mundo, recounts the life of Diaz, the number-one fan of the Superstar.
It is only fitting that the Superstar would have an equal-wattage fan in the
person of Diaz. If Aunor started her career at 11, Diaz began his fandom
when he was in Grade 1. If Aunor endorsed Coke, Diaz drank Coke. If Aunor
had a movie out, Diaz would be the first to watch it. Even in his deathbed,
Diaz forbade his friends from burying him if Aunor did not visit his coffin.

Diaz did not live in a parallel universe with Aunor. His universe was Aunor.

Having started his obsession with Aunor at a very young age, Diaz would
eventually accumulate a priceless collection of Aunor memorabilia — magazine
covers, gowns, vinyl records and everything else Nora. It is not surprising
that he would become the walking encyclopedia of Aunor's life and career.

In Superfan, del Mundo re-imagines the life of Diaz, who is ably fleshed out
by in the film by veteran thespian Nonie Buencamino.

How did del Mundo channel Diaz's spirit? "I read Mandy's essay, `Himala,'
about his life as a Noranian, and I also interviewed his partner and his
fellow Noranians," recounts del Mundo, and thus resulting in the words for
Buencamino to deliver.

Since Diaz's life revolved around Aunor, watching Superfan is like taking an
audio- visual trip down Aunor's career. Clips from classic Aunor movies
complement Diaz's retelling of his life. The film even includes a bit of
cheek on the Nora Aunor versus Vilma Santos rivalry. If Aunor was the
Filipino Cinderella, then Diaz was her self-styled fairy gaymother.

Humor aside, Diaz's story is really that of a life offered to the service of
his idol. Del Mundo wisely describes the protagonist, "A fan manifests
behavior that is irrational. You cannot explain it." Through the character
of Diaz, we see fame from the point of view of the admiring rather than the
admired. And in him, we see an extreme, but true, version of ourselves —
ordinary people who live vicariously through the bigger, shinier lives of
our extraordinary idols. Although Diaz has already passed away, the mania is
still alive as proven by the colorful cast of true Noranians who are also
featured in Del Mundo's film.

Filipinos are famous for many things — our boxing skills, family values and
universal talent for videoke. Yet one other thing that we can claim is our
national obsession with stars. Between fame and fortune, Filipinos will
choose fame, and this hypothesis is very much true in the life of Mandy Diaz
— the Superfan. If there's a saying that behind every great man is a great
woman, then in the case of Ate Guy, she had a great gay.

Superfan also stars Teri Onor, Raisa Ver, and Mica Torre.

Del Mundo's other credits include Maid in Singapore, Ehemplo, Muni-muni, and
the best picture of the first Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival Pepot
Artista. He is also the chairman of the Philippine Independent Filmmakers
Multipurpose Cooperative.

For inquiries, bookings or special screening requests, e-mail
burukafilms@ yahoo.com

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1175 on: May 19, 2009 at 05:11 PM »
it's a very interesting short film... Nonie Buencamino delivered a pitch perfect performance. my only gripe was that they didn't use Ate Guy's original recordings. i wonder if there was a problem with rights to the songs although it was great to hear Bongga Ka Day play during the end credits. i wish it could've been longer...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009 at 05:49 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1176 on: May 20, 2009 at 01:02 AM »
It sounds like an excellent short film.

Offline Krenn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1177 on: Jun 12, 2009 at 11:14 AM »
Haven't seen the film but I love this quote...

“Huwag mo akong daanin sa paingles-ingles at naiintindihan ko na'yan. Hindi na ako ang dating probinsiyanang nakasama mo noon sa bukid. Alam ko na kung anong ibig sabihin ng shit kaya shit mo!

:D Maganda ba yung movie?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1178 on: Jun 12, 2009 at 05:07 PM »
I Love You Mama, I Love You Papa is a good movie. Nora's performance earned a STAR Award nomination for Best Actress. It was also the only film she did in 1986. It may not rank among her best but the movie is worth watching just to see the entire de Leon family in one film.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1179 on: Aug 25, 2009 at 09:59 AM »
Christopher de Leon on Banaue:

"Ako yung unang nagparamdam, because she's a superstar! its raining, cold in Baguio. (Laughs) We were only wearing bahag. Binigyan ko si Nora ng ice-cream, and she said why ice-cream?! My father told me to grab the project because its from the master Gerry de Leon and he showed me the films of Gerry de Leon! One thing that I learned from him was that when you're doing a romantic or a love scene and I always share this.....don't look straight from the eyes.....look her eyebrow, lips para hindi static and the effect is so dynamic!"

TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS by Mario O'Hara:

"Bembol was great......Nora was superb! I went to Japan to do research about my role. Nora and Bembol were both marvelous! I was breaking up na with Nora during that time."

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • I am a master of my thoughts!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1180 on: Aug 25, 2009 at 01:40 PM »
I Love You Mama, I Love You Papa is a good movie. Nora's performance earned a STAR Award nomination for Best Actress. It was also the only film she did in 1986. It may not rank among her best but the movie is worth watching just to see the entire de Leon family in one film.

i think she also did "my bugoy goes to congress" with dolphy in 1986.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1181 on: Aug 25, 2009 at 05:18 PM »
My Bugoy Goes To Congress was shown the following year, 1987...

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #1182 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 02:41 PM »
i saw t-bird at ako on cinema one last week and i was so won over by the funny script! there was a court scene where tommy abuel asked vilma what her job was, a dancer, a burlesk queen? vilma said, body language na po ang uso ngayon... :D why don't we have movies like these anymore?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1183 on: Aug 27, 2009 at 08:44 AM »
Christopher de Leon on Banaue:
TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS by Mario O'Hara:

"Bembol was great......Nora was superb! I went to Japan to do research about my role. Nora and Bembol were both marvelous! I was breaking up na with Nora during that time."

Y'know, he doesnt' value his performance in this film much, but his character is what made the film unique. I think it's his best performance.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1184 on: Aug 27, 2009 at 04:38 PM »
Boyet admitted that he was having a problem with his relationship with Nora while making the film that's why he was not able to give his best.

And I agree with you Noel, it was his best and not a hysterical performance.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1185 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 09:53 AM »
Since Geocities Free Website hosting went away last month, I've moved the Nora Aunor Tribute website to a new url. Here's the new url:

www.superstarnoraaunor.com

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1186 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 12:13 AM »
Fantabulous news for all followers of fine cinema! BONA DVD and VCD hit the stores on December 23!

NAGBALIK NA SI BONA MULA SA MAHABANG PAGLALAKBAY
By Nestor De Guzman

http://superstarstruck.weebly.com/1/post/2009/12/nagbalik-na-si-bona-mula-sa-mahabang-paglalakbay-by-nestor-de-guzman.html

Ang Bona (1980) ang ikalawang obra ni Lino Brocka na itinanghal sa Directors’ Fortnight section ng Cannes International Film Festival (May 1981). Kuwento ng isang dalaga (Nora Aunor) na nilayasan ang pamilya para magsilbi sa kinahuhumalingang artista (Phillip Salvador), ang pelikula ay sadyang ginawa para sa competition section ng festival. Nasayang ang pagkakataon dahil Abril na nang ipadala sa Cannes ang print nito gayong Enero pa ang deadline. Unang inilahok ang Bona sa 1980 Metro Manila Film Festival, kung saan wala itong nakuha kahit isang award. Gumugol ng panahon si Brocka sa pag-edit ng bersiyong pang-Cannes, kung saan makakamit nito ang nauukol na pagkilala.

Apat na ulit ipinalabas sa Cannes ng Bona. Mula rito, sinuri ni Gene Moskovitz ang pelikula para sa Variety, American film industry daily. Para sa kanya, Bona “could easily have rated competitive selection . . . Lino Brocka has made his best film to date … He has developed a flawless visual style” (Variety, June  3, 1981).

Lumabas sa Cinematographe (June 1981), isang French film magazine, ang artikulo ni  Francois Cuel, kung saan inihanay niya si Nora Aunor sa ilang imortal na pigura ng world cinema. Sabi niya, “Nora Aunor evokes Giulietta Masina in La Strada—a Gelsomina to keep company with the kid who acted superbly in The Bicycle Thief.”

Sa The Globe and the Mail (June 1981), isang impluwensiyal na pahayagan sa Canada, itinampok ng film critic na si Jay Scott sa kanyang artikulo ang bidang aktres sa pelikula (“Film Idol of the Philippines Has Larger-than-Life Aura”).

Para sa distribusyon sa Europa, binili ang Bona ng German producer na si Jorg Richter. Isa pa sa mga nakapanood sa Cannes ang London Times film critic na si Alexander Walker. Inirekomenda niya ang pelikula sa London Film Festival, at dito naging bahagi ang Bona ng Critics’ Choice section (November 1981), unang pagkakataon sa isang pelikulang Filipino. Dalawang ulit itinanghal ang Bona sa National Film Theater of London. (Nagbigay-daan ito sa pagpapahalaga ng naturang festival sa mga pelikulang Pilipino. Nang sumunod na taon, itinampok ng London Film Festival ang seksiyong “Discovering Philippine Cinema.” )

December 1981, muling umani ang Bona ng distingksiyon bilang Opening Film ng Nantes Festival of Three Continents (France), kung saan bahagi ng programa ang retrospective ng Pilipinas. Mula rito, dinala rin ang pelikula sa Malaga (Spain) at Hong Kong filmfests.

Sa Figueira da Foz International Film Festival (Portugal), nakipagtagisan ang Bona bilang competition film. Apat na award lamang ang ipinamahagi nang taong iyon, at nakuha ng Bona ang Premio de le Juri de la Federacion Internationale des Cine Clubs (Jury Prize of the International Federation of Cinema Clubs).

Di pa dito natapos ang pagkilala sa pelikula. Binuksan ng Bona ang isang serye ng independent films sa Film Forum sa New York, venue ng mga prestihiyosong pelikula sa mundo. Ipinalabas dito ang Bona mula September 19 hanggang October 2, 1984.  Sa anunsiyo ng pelikula sa The New York Times at New York Daily News, tinagurian si Brocka na “Fassbinder of Asia.”

Sa sumunod na mga dekada, patuloy na inikot ng Bona ang iba’t ibang festival sa mundo: Istanbul International Film Festival (1984), Los Angeles Film Festival (1990), Toronto Film Festival, AFI Los Angeles International Film Festival (1996), Telluride Film Festival (1999), Torino Film Festival (2005), Vienna International Film Festival (2009).

Sa nakalipas na mga dekada, iningatan ang kopya ng pelikula sa archives ng Cinematheque Francaise sa Paris, France, at sa Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) sa New York, pero walang maayos na kopya sa Pilipinas mismo. Sa pagpupunyagi ni Ronald Arguelles, programmer ng Cinema One, movie cable channel ng ABS-CBN, naiuwi sa bansa ang kopya ng pelikula mula sa Cinematheque Francaise. Isang mahalagang okasyon para sa isang mahalagang pelikulang Filipino, ang “Homecoming Celebration Screening” ng Bona ay ginanap sa Studio 1 (Dolphy Theater ngayon) ng ABS-CBN noong July 2006.

Mula sa mahabang taon ng pagkakawalay, masasabi ngayon na tuluyan nang nagbalik sa sariling bayan ang Bona. Maaari nang mapanood ng publiko ang pelikula sa pag-release ng Philippine edition ng video nito sa VCD at DVD, mula sa Ivory Music & Video. Mabibili ang kopya sa video stores simula December 23, 2009.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1187 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 04:12 AM »
This is excellent news...

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1188 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 09:09 AM »
This is excellent news...

indeed it is, rse! hope the video transfer is at least above average. i wonder, though, if the dvd/vcd version is that of cannes or the original one.   

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1189 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 09:50 AM »
Cover artwork for the dvd release:

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1190 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 04:34 PM »
From the International Circle of Online Noranians (ICON)

SILVER ANNIVERSARY of THREE NORA AUNOR CLASSICS: 'MERIKA, CONDEMNED, and BULAKLAK NG CITY JAIL

Public Exhibition on December 19, 2009 at UP Film Institute

The year 1984 was one of the golden years of Philippine cinema, when the local movie industry produced a good number of outstanding films. It was a banner year for Nora Aunor as well.

In 1984, the Superstar reasserted her supremacy as the country’s premier actress by starring in three films that were all critically and commercially successful: Gil Portes’s ’Merika and Mario O’Hara’s Condemned and Bulaklak sa City Jail.

The three films were major triumphs for La Aunor especially as a performer. She earned Best Actress nominations for the three films in the first PMPC Star Awards for Movies, a record yet to be duplicated by any actor to this day. In the Urian for the same year, she earned two nominations for Best Actress—another first.

’Merika is hailed by critics as one of the important Filipino films depicting the Filipino migrant experience. It is the story of Milagros Cruz, a Filipino nurse working in New York. Longing for a different life despite material comforts abroad, she courageously chooses to go back to her own country.

Rated “A” by the Film Ratings Board, Condemned is described by critic Noel Vera as “one of the most perfect Filipino noir thrillers ever made.” The film tells of the sibling love between Yolly, a rose peddler in the streets of Ermita, and her brother Efren (Dan Alvaro) who is entrapped in the operations of a syndicate queen (Gloria Romero).

The second O’Hara-Aunor collaboration of the year, Bulaklak sa City Jail, was the Metro Manila Film Festival’s major winner. Penned by noted novelist Lualhati Baustista, the film depicts the ordeals of Angela, a pregnant woman falsely accused of a crime, as she is detained in a vicious correctional institution.

The International Circle of Online Noranians, in cooperation with the UP Film Institute, deems it fitting to commemorate the 25th anniversary of ’Merika, Condemned, and Bulaklak sa City Jail with a FREE screening of the films at the Videotheque of the UP Film Institute, UP Diliman, on December 19, 2009 (Saturday). The schedule is as follows: 1:00 pm, ’Merika; 2:45 pm, Bulaklak sa City Jail; and 7 pm, Condemned. A program will be held, including a panel discussion with guests, between 4:30 and 7:00 pm at the UPFI Bernal Gallery. The public is invited.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1191 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 07:08 AM »
Jo, wish you guys told me about this. I could have done some kind of article for Bworld, or at least my blog.

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1192 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 11:19 AM »
Jo, wish you guys told me about this. I could have done some kind of article for Bworld, or at least my blog.

hi noel, this is ron maceda. the article was posted in the ICON e-group and in nestor de guzman's superstarstruck blog yesterday. heard from nes that there will also be a soft launch of the DVD of NV Production's "TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS" and "BONA" at around 4:30 pm.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1193 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 12:09 PM »
So who's selling the Tatlong Taong DVD? Any features? English subs maybe?

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1194 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM »
Will get back to you on that asap. :)

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1195 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 01:03 PM »
So who's selling the Tatlong Taong DVD? Any features? English subs maybe?

per nes, la aunor sold the rights of these films to ivory music and record and albert s. is the one in charge of the sales and distribution. the DVD's of "tatlong" and "bona" will be principally sold in the Philippines and to a certain extent to the Fil communities in the US. it's not for international release, hence, it's not subtitled. the DVD version of "tatlong" comes from ate guy's personal copy that was given to her by CCP. this is the version restored by a Japanese institution and archived by the Fukuoka library. meanwhile, the "bona" DVD is the cannes filmfest version with french subtitles.

ICON has invited mario o'hara, gil portes and lualhati bautista as guest panelists. (incidentally, i heard that mario and gil sent entries to the 2010 cinemalaya open category competition.)

hope you can still feature this in your blog as the press announcement came out only yesterday.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1196 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 01:53 PM »
Someone ought to tell Nora she should give rights to some kind of international DVD too to I don't know, CineFilipino. Get subtitles, maybe a feature or two. There are interested people out here.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1197 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 11:34 PM »

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1198 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 04:47 PM »
DVD and VCD of Mario O'Hara's "Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos" in stores before Christmas 2009

http://superstarstruck.weebly.com/index.html

Critics on Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos

“A touching story of private people thrown into unimaginable stress during the turbulent times of the Japanese occupation. A time when man, woman, and child doubted the existence of God because they saw with their own eyes man’s inhumanity to man. It was an era that marked the Filipino’s loss of innocence. It was an era that started rampant corruption, smuggling, arson, robbery, rape, and murder. The Filipino way of life was never quite the same again.” – Pio de Castro III, The Times Journal

“Three Godless Years significantly explores the issue of forbidden love while avoiding the use of xenophobic melodrama and racial stereotypes. Excellent cinematography and a colorful, tranquil provincial locale combine with an engrossing story to deliver solid entertainment.”  – Mel Tobias, One Hundred Acclaimed Tagalog Movies

“War picture with a difference.”  – Norma L. Japitana, Woman’s Home Companion

“Ang pagsagot ng mga tauhan sa hinihingi ng pangyayari ay makatotohanan. Marahas ang digmaan, mas delikado ang mahuli sa pagitan ng nag-aalitang lakas kaysa manindigan. Mahirap din ang magtanggol para sa kapakanan ng mga dayuhan, para sa Hapon man o Amerika. Ang marahas na paligid ay nagbubunga ng karahasan sa tao.”  – Jun Cruz Reyes, Sagisag

“Hanggang sa huli ng pelikula, ang Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos ay nagdadala sa isang manonood sa realismo ng digmaan, sa emosyon ng digma at mga taong kaugnay nito. Nakamit ng Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos ang paglilinaw ng kasaysayan sa kalikasan ng Ikalawang Digmaang Pandaigdig nang hindi napipingasan, kamunti man, ang estetikong katangian nito bilang daluyan ng sining para sa puting tabing.” – Domingo Landicho, Pilipino Express

“O’Hara’s style is thrillingly simple: each scene begins and ends like any other scene in a well-shaped drama. But there’s a quiet undercurrent that builds, sequence upon sequence, with the smoothness and power of a rising tsunami, until it pulls your feet out from under you, breaking high over your head, overwhelming you.” – Noel Vera, Business World

The DVD of Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos and Bona will be launched on December 19, 2009, 4:30 pm, at Bernal Gallery, UP Film Institute, UP Campus, Diliman Quezon City.

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1199 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 07:35 PM »
From ICON:

Mario O'Hara will be the the guest of honor of the Silver Anniversary celebration/screening of "Condemned," "Bulaklak sa City Jail," and "Merika" as well as the DVD/VCD soft launch of "Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos," and "Bona." :)

There will also be a special screening of the Doy del Mundo-helmed "Superfan," a documentary on the late Mandy Pascua during cocktails.