Author Topic: The Nora Aunor Thread  (Read 267083 times)

Offline keng001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Nora Aunor Thread
« Reply #150 on: Mar 28, 2003 at 01:00 PM »
Here's an excerpt from Mario Bautista's interview with Ian de Leon, Nora Aunor and Christopher de Leon's only son, talking about his favorite among the movies of his mom and dad.

"Among the movies he did in the past, which are his favorites? "I still love the most the movies I did as a child actor, the Komiks’ episode in Halimaw where I was directed by my dad, and Takot Ako Eh which I did with Ate Lot and Matet, directed by Mario O’Hara. Sa movies ko with Donna, I like Muling Umawit which we did with my mom and Pangako ng Kahapon which was filmed in Bicol."

Which among the movies of his mom and dad are his favorites? "With them together, I like Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos. With my mom, I think she was at her best in Himala. With my dad, my favorite is his first film, Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang, and the one where he played a dying cancer patient, God, Save Me, incidentally directed by Carlo Caparas who is now my director in The Cory Quirino Kidnap: NBI Files. "

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #151 on: Mar 28, 2003 at 05:03 PM »
Ian doesn't sound very objective, not that I blame him.  Carlos Caparas?  The Komiks segment of Halimaw?  And Takot Ako Eh! is one of O'Hara's many bad films.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Apr 02, 2003 at 04:46 AM »

Saw Fe, Esperanza Caridad.  Amazing film.  Her performance in Esperanza is light and funny (thanks to Lamberto Avellana), but Caridad (directed by Gerry de Leon), despite the cheese factor, is the most striking--imagine, a nun tempting Satan!   ;D

Do they show this in Cinema One ?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Apr 02, 2003 at 11:57 PM »
According to someone at ABS CBN, they did...

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Apr 03, 2003 at 12:19 AM »
I read this personal essay "TAGAHANGA" by Wilfredo O Pascual, Jr. and I thought a lot of you will enjoy reading this especially if you are a Noranian. You have to join the Nora Aunor Yahoo Group to access or download the file. Here's the url:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NoraAunor/files/

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 12:36 PM »
Gold Birthday Concert ni Nora sa Araneta Coliseum on May 17, 2003. Here's an article about it from Pilipino Star Ngayon:

50 taon na si Nora

SANGA-SANGANDILA ni Veronica R. Samio
Pilipino STAR Ngayon 04/04/2003

Maraming babae ang ayaw magsabi ng totoo nilang edad. Kaya nga maraming artista ngayon na sa pagsisimula pa lamang ng kanilang career ay ibinababa na ang tunay nilang gulang.

Sorry na lang yung mga celebrities like Nora Aunor and
Vilma Santos na alam na alam ng tao kung ilang taon na
sila.

Sa May 21, ipagdiriwang ni Nora ang kanyang ika-50th
birthday. Vilma will be celebrating her sa Nov. 3. Mga
golden girls na sila.

To celebrate her golden year, magdaraos ng kanyang
concert sa Araneta Coliseum si Nora na pinamagatang
Gold.

Di tulad ng mga nakaraan niyang birthday concert na
pawang mga pamilya niya ang lumalabas, o di kaya ay
mga exes niya, like Tirso Cruz III and Christopher de
Leon, ang lalabas sa Gold ay mga kabituin ni Nora sa
telenovela niya sa ABS CBN na Bituin. Tulad nina Carol
Banawa at Desiree del Valle, gumaganap na mga anak
niya sa nasabing palabas. At sina Michael Santana,
Cherie Gil, Celia Rodriguez, Jestoni Alarcon, Cherry
Pie Picache, Efren Reyes, Jr., Gardo Versoza, Sylvia
Sanchez, Michael de Mesa, John Lapuz, Carlo Muñoz,
Tado at Harlene Bautista.

Ipakikita sa Gold ang iba’t ibang stages sa buhay ni
Nora – pagiging singer, aktres, isang babae who speaks
her mind and follows her heart.

Ang Gold ay nasa direksyon ni Al Quinn at sinulat ni
Ricky Lee. Prodyus ni Norie Sayo para sa Ace
Entertainment.

Bahagi ng pagdiriwang ng golden year ni Nora ay ang
pagtatanghal ng Himala na ginawang isang rock opera sa CCP sa huling bahagi ng taong ito. Sa pelikulang ito
ni Ishmael Bernal at Ricky Lee, kinilala ang kahusayan
ni Nora ng Metro Manila Film Festival at Berlinale.

Baka kapag nakatapos si Nora sa mga proyektong ito ay
magawa na niya ang pelikula na ino-offer sa kanya ng
Star Cinema. *****

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 09:23 PM »
Off topic :

My mom's birthday actually is also on May 21st .. same as Ate guy and the deceased Julie Vega.

That's why I, my brother and sister call her Superstar.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2003 at 09:59 PM by kakabanas »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Apr 05, 2003 at 10:05 PM »
Pssst, Noranians; please see Cinema Paraiso thread...

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Apr 07, 2003 at 10:16 PM »
Saw Fe, Esperanza Caridad.  Amazing film.  Her performance in Esperanza is light and funny (thanks to Lamberto Avellana), but Caridad (directed by Gerry de Leon), despite the cheese factor, is the most striking--imagine, a nun tempting Satan!   ;D

Fe, Esperanza, Caridad will be shown at the Cinema Paraiso exhibit on April 21. See Cinema Paraiso thread for more info.

Did the organizers decide to include this film after reading Noel's post calling it an AMAZING film? Believe na talaga ako sa influence mo as a movie critic.  ;)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Apr 07, 2003 at 10:45 PM »
Fe, Esperanza, Caridad will be shown at the Cinema Paraiso exhibit on April 21. See Cinema Paraiso thread for more info.

Ang aga naman. Di ko aabutan.  :'( :'( :'(

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 10:34 AM »
Whats the title of the Nora movie starring Dawn Zulueta and Eddie Garcia as a retired army officer? I think its a Viva movie. Has anyone seen it?
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2003 at 10:35 AM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 11:18 AM »

Did the organizers decide to include this film after reading Noel's post calling it an AMAZING film? Believe na talaga ako sa influence mo as a movie critic.  ;)

I wish!  ;D

Truth of the matter is, I arranged to see it thanks to the organizers of the festival (you can, just call NCCA), and they were kind enough to show it to me.

I don't know if my review had anything to do with it.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Apr 09, 2003 at 10:07 PM »
Whats the title of the Nora movie starring Dawn Zulueta and Eddie Garcia as a retired army officer? I think its a Viva movie. Has anyone seen it?

Bakit May Kahapon Pa. It's availabe in VCD format.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 08:50 AM »
I asked a friend to tape some Nora movies being shown at Cinema One. She was able to tape Himala, Mahal Mo, Mahal Ko and Anak ng Atsay which by the way, Cinema One keeps referring to as Atsay during station breaks. I posted some video captures at the Nora website.

She also tape Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang with Christopher de Leon. Maybe someone should do a remake of Tinimbang with Nora playing Kuala's role this time around.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Apr 28, 2003 at 01:09 PM »
I got carried away in bidding for quite a few old Nora Aunor magazines at eBay. I'm hoping there are other Noranians here that might be interested in bidding and maybe save myself from overspending.   :)

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2003 at 02:53 PM »
Nora and Michael Jackson!  :o

Thanks for that. Now, could you please post a photo of Nora and Don Johnson from the Lollipops and Roses movie.

Another Noranian sent me this picture of Nora Aunor and Don Johnson with Victor "Cocoy" Laurel from their movie Lollipops and Roses. Here's the url:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/lollipops.html

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2003 at 09:44 PM »
Just a reminder Nora's Gold Concert is this Saturday, May 17, 2003 at Araneta Coliseum. Get your tickets now.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2003 at 11:19 PM »
Today, May 21st is Nora Aunor's birthday. Happy Birthday.

Here's an article from Abante Online about Nora Aunor's successful concert:

Muling pinatunayan ni Nora Aunor na may hatak pa siya sa mga tao nang dagsain ng kanyang mga tagahanga ang Gold concert niya last Saturday sa Araneta Coliseum.

Hanggang general admission ay punumpuno ng tao ang concert na ito ni Nora.

Understandable ang mga bakanteng upuan sa likod at gilid ng stage dahil wala nang makikita ang mga tao.

Nakapangingilabot matunghayan ang presence ng ilan sa mga audience ni Guy.

May mga matatanda na. ‘Yung iba ay naka-wheelchair na sa sobrang katandaan na ewan namin kung nakikilala pa nila ang superstar.

Ang iba, dala ng kapansanan ay nakasakay sa silyang de-gulong.

Sa unang dalawang awitin ni Guy, may mga nasulyapan kaming fans niya na nag-iiyakan, bagay na hindi namin nakita sa kahit anong concert dito sa Pilipinas.

Naroon pa rin ang walang sawang tilian ng fans tuwing kakanta o magpapakwela si Guy.

Kapansin-pansing mas preparado si Guy sa kanyang mga awitin sa concert na ito. Hindi niya nakalimutan ang kanyang lyrics. Puro tama ang pasok niya sa intro ng bawat awitin niya.

Simpleng-simple lang ang concert ni Guy. Walang masyadong bongga sa production numbers. Boses lang at karisma ang panghatak niya para maging matagumpay ito.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2003 at 06:30 PM »
Nora Aunor holds audience
in the palm of her hand

Posted: 11:14 PM (Manila Time) | May 23, 2003
By Nestor U. Torre
Inquirer News Service

Observers

WHEN we took our seats at the Araneta Coliseum last Saturday, 30 minutes before Nora Aunor's "Gold" concert was about to start, we were dismayed to see that the Big Dome wasn't even half-full. Our favorite Superstar deserved a much better turnout on her 50th birthday celebration!

Was her time really over, as some industry observers have dourly observed? No, she was too good and unique not to be given an umpteenth time to recover lost ground, and make herself relevant anew to today's entertainment scene.

Happily, as the show closed in on its 8 p.m. starting time, Nora's fans, both old and new, started arriving in droves. And, when the concert finally started, the coliseum was full.

It was important to us that Nora be given a superstar-sized reception on this latest landmark in her personal and professional life, because she has contributed so much to local entertainment:

She broke the tisoy monopoly on big-screen stardom, gave masa viewers a movie luminary they could completely identify with and derive inspiration from, and helped raise the standard for film acting in this country.

Surely we had to remember, and express our gratitude for those bounties. Yes, Nora has sometimes taken her phenomenal success for granted, and she's allowed her special gifts to be compromised by unprofessionalism and vices. But, all told, her achievements are greater than her flaws and excesses, so her turning 50 should be cause for celebration, not fault-finding.

We held these thought in check when Nora's show started, with Kuya Germs looking back at her childhood in Iriga and her early start in show biz, courtesy of the "Tawag ng Tanghalan" national singing contest.

Germs' personal notes were welcome, but he went on too long, so we were impatient to get the pasakalye over with, and for Nora to prove to everyone that she still had what it took to excite and inspire a coliseum full of her old and new devotees.

Another mental aside: Nora's ability to do this was being doubted by nay-sayers who observed that, quite often, she was no longer in good voice, and she looked old and enervated, to boot. But we refused to entertain such quibbles for long. She was the country's first Superstar, this was her big night, and she had to make it one of the most memorable highlights of her career!

First notes

Well, that's exactly what she did. From the time she appeared onstage and sang the first notes of her demanding opening number, to her finale and encores more than two hours later, Nora held her audience in the palm of her hand.

Unlike her last big show at the coliseum, she was in good voice throughout her "Gold" concert. Listeners thrilled to the unique texture of her famous singing voice, now lower in pitch than it was at her prime, but otherwise as expressive and captivating as it has ever been.

Indeed, it was even more expressive, now that she was more mature, experienced and judicious, and knew that good singers don't have to scream to hold their audience in thrall. Younger divas could learn important lessons from Nora in this regard, and spare their listeners' eardrums and sensibilities from more punishment.

Best of all, Nora truly enjoyed herself throughout her concert. She must have deeply appreciated her fans' impressive show of force at this important event in her career, and gratefully gave them, not just a memorable musical evening, but everything else she could.

Completely at home on the coliseum's stage, she joked with the crowd, basked in its love, expressed her affection and gratitude in turn, and had herself a great time-despite the fact that she had to work so hard during the long concert, exiting only for a few minutes to change outfits, while her guest singers held center stage.

Although we've resolutely maintained that Nora isn't the tired has-been that some observers say she is, we were frankly surprised at the amount of work that she did on her concert last Saturday.

She sang, she danced, she had to do so many spiels, she kept the whole show well-paced and eventful -- very few entertainers, of whatever age, could have done as well. No wonder, the avid coliseum crowd kept on cheering her to high heavens-as the country's once and future Superstar.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Jun 15, 2003 at 03:02 AM »
To Noranians overseas, here's our chance to watch Nora's Gold Concert. The Filipino Channel is scheduled to air Nora's Gold Birthday Concert on June 29, 2003, 7:15 pst. Don't miss it.

A member of our Nora Aunor Yahoo Group has uploaded an mp3 of Nora's duet with Zsa-Zsa Padilla called Minsan ang Minahal ay Ako. It is a great number. Visit the Nora website and join the Nora Aunor Yahoo group so you can download the song.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Jul 28, 2003 at 09:56 PM »

Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit on DVD is now available for pre-orders at regalfilms.com.

Noranians, let us show Regal Films that it is "commercially viable" to release old Nora movies on DVD. Order your copy now and maybe next time we'll see Kastilyong Buhangin on DVD.

And for Vilmanians, Regal is also accepting preorders for Burlesk Queen on VCD.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2003 at 11:47 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #171 on: Jul 28, 2003 at 10:26 PM »
Is Bilangin... the only "film of note" Aunor did for Regal Films? I'm getting the feeling that there should have been other more noteworthy Regal-made Aunor films that should have received the DVD treatment first. Was "Bulaklak ng City Jail" Regal-made?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Jul 29, 2003 at 09:47 AM »
"Bulaklak ng City Jail" was produced by Cherub Films which was owned by Cherry Cobbarubias. (could she be the  same person, the erstwhile Imelda ally?)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Jul 29, 2003 at 09:50 AM »
Oh, ok. Thanks RMN. Would you know all the Regal-produced Aunor movies? I'm really curious about it.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Jul 29, 2003 at 10:03 AM »
"Bulaklak ng City Jail" was produced by Cherub Films which was owned by Cherry Cobbarubias. (could she be the  same person, the erstwhile Imelda ally?)

I think she is...

Trivia note: the daughter is in the movie, as the girlfriend of one of the prisoners. She was a bit hard to get along with, so O'Hara had her killed early in the movie.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Jul 29, 2003 at 11:40 AM »
Oh, ok. Thanks RMN.

don't mention it.  :)

Would you know all the Regal-produced Aunor movies? I'm really curious about it.

Unfortunately, I don't. We really should have a database of tagalog films...
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2003 at 12:04 PM by RMN »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Jul 29, 2003 at 11:44 AM »
Maybe i should ask Nora herself since she lives in the apartment complex we stay in... ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2003 at 11:46 AM by RMN »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Jul 29, 2003 at 12:05 PM »
Maybe i should ask Nora herself since she lives in the apartment complex we stay in... ;D

I hope you can catch her in one of her better moods. :)

I tried talking to her once when I helped in dubbing "Andrea" and she is soooo moody. One minute she's talkative then she'd suddenly play coy and shy the next. My friends and I were weirded out.  :) She's still a great actress though, hehe.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Jul 29, 2003 at 10:40 PM »
Would you know all the Regal-produced Aunor movies? I'm really curious about it.

These are the movies that Regal Films produced for Nora:

Mama, Dito sa Aking Puso - Nora, Jaclyn Jose and Matet - movie version of the Hello Soldier play.

Ligaw-ligawan, Kasal-kasalan, Bahay-bahayan - a trilogy of unfinished movies, Nora was in Danny Zialcita's episode.

Regal brought back the Guy & Pip loveteam in the 80's thru the following movies, Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit, Balut, Penoy, Sana Mahalin Mo Ako, I Can't Stop Loving You, Till We Meet Again, and Mga Kwento ni Lola Basyang.

Regal put together Charito, Nora and Maricel in Minsan May Isang Ina.

Nora and Lito Lapid in Kastilyong Buhangin and Gaano Kita Kamahal.

Regal also exploited the real life love triangle of Guy, Pip, and Boyet in Mahal Mo, Mahal Ko.

Regal paired Nora with Alma Moreno in Huwag Hamakin: Hostess, with Rico J. Puno in Disco Baby, with Hajji Alejandro in Panakip Butas and Gabby Concepcion in Totoo Ba ang Tsimis.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Jul 30, 2003 at 02:19 AM »
Kastilyong Buhangin is by a son or son in law of Mother Lily; not quite Regal. I don't know where the print is, I don't think it's with Regal...