Author Topic: The Nora Aunor Thread  (Read 265617 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re:The Nora Aunor Thread
« Reply #90 on: Nov 20, 2002 at 09:34 PM »
It's a very interesting list.

Many of their choices I agree with; some (Flor Contemplacion Story), well, they're activists, not film critics, while others (Rizal, Inagaw Mo Ang Lahat sa Akin) show a touching naivete--activists are as much fans as everyone else.

Offline sidney

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 02:53 PM »
Sidney, you sent me a private message but never answered it.  Can you read the message I sent you?  What's your answer?

Was this about Bakit Bughaw Ang Langit? ???

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 10:47 PM »
No, it's about Premiere.

Didn't you receive it?  Sent it some time back.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Nov 25, 2002 at 08:59 AM »
I was watching Sharon's concert last night on TFC and there's a portion where she was singing about her leading men in all of her movies. I thought maybe we could do that with Nora's leading men.

1. Tirso Cruz III - Guy & Pip, the most popular loveteam of the '70s. From blockbusters of the 70's like My Blue Hawaii, Winter Holiday, Guy & Pip and many more to the award-winning movie 'Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit' in 1989.

2. Christopher de Leon - Nora's ex-husband and leading man in Banaue, Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos, Ikaw ay Akin, Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo.

3. FPJ - Little Christmas Tree

4. Joseph Estrada - Erap is my Guy, Bakya Mo Neneng

5. Dolphy - Kaming Matatapang ang Apog, Jack N Jill of the Third Kind, My Bugoy Goes to Congress

6. Eddie Rodriguez - Pag-ibig Ko'y Awitin Mo

7. Bembol Roco - 'Merika, Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos

8. Philip Salvador - Bona, Nakaw na Pag-ibig, Tinik sa Dibdib

9. Jay Ilagan - Binibini ng Palengke, Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo, Fe, Esperanza, Caridad

10. Dindo Fernando - Fe, Esperanza, Caridad, Beloved

11. Lito Lapid - Kastilyong Buhangin, Gaano Ko Ikaw Kamahal

12. Ace Vergel - Annie Sabungera

13. Lloyd Samartino - Annie Batungbakal, Bongga Ka Day

14. Dennis Roldan - Bakit Bughaw ang Langit

15. Gabby Concepcion - Totoo Ba ang Tsismis

16. Mat Ranillo - Palengke Queen

17. Victor 'Cocoy' Laurel - Lollipops & Roses, Impossible Dream

18. Manny de Leon - Nora's leading man for most of her movies at Tower Productions.

Nora made more movies than Sharon so there's more leading men to list but I'll end it here for now.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Nov 25, 2002 at 11:35 PM »
You forgot Dan Alvaro in Condemned.

And who was her boyfriend in Tatlong Ina, Isang Anak?

And she wasn't IN the movie per se, but her presence was felt in Halimaw sa Banga.  Mario O'Hara played her husband.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Nov 26, 2002 at 09:39 AM »

And who was her boyfriend in Tatlong Ina, Isang Anak?

Miguel Rodriguez played the boyfriend.

Here's a few more to add:

Albert Martinez - Sidhi

Julio Diaz - Flor Contemplacion Story

Dante Varona - The Singer and The Bouncer

Rey Malonzo - Ang Tsimay at ang Tambay

Ronald Corveau (from the soap Gulong ng Palad) - Atsay

Walter Navarro - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Sajid Khan - The Singing Filipina

Don Johnson (Miami Vice) - Lollipops and Roses  :)

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Nov 27, 2002 at 03:50 AM »
I found this article HIMALA Revisited by Arnel Resma Ramos. I posted it at my website since the original webpage where it was posted has now changed. I was able to get a copy from the 'google cached'. If you like Himala, you have to read the article.

HIMALA Revisited

I also found this article about a Filipino Film Retrospective at UCLA where Himala was one of the five films exhibited.

UCLA Filipino Film Retrospective

Why can't someone release these movies on DVD?
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2002 at 03:51 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Nov 29, 2002 at 06:19 PM »
I owe my thoughts on Himala.  In lieu of an entire article tho, I can say that well, no, I didn't think Nora gave a performance, but then I think this is exactly what Bernal intended.  

I agree with what Bernal once said, it couldn't have been done without Nora.  But Nora's not quite portraying a complete character; I don't even think she's the protagonist, not in the usual sense.

Nora was used as an icon, a figurehead on which Bernal hung his accusations and condemnation of relgious hypocrisy.  The real hero or heroine of the film are the townsfolk; Nora is the still center around which the storm gathers.  

As a side note, the film has a look unlike any other Filipino film, surreal and hallucinogenic.  It's also not a little prophetic, prefiguring as it does what happens with Mt. Pinatubo.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Nov 29, 2002 at 06:24 PM »
Frank Rivera's anthology of telecine scripts is titled
MULAT: Isyung Panlipunan sa Dulaang Pangtelebisyon.

Three teleplays, all directed by Mario O'Hara and all
starring Nora Aunor.

It will be launched on December 10, Tuesday, 4 to 7 pm at the Thomas Aquinas Auditorium, UST at Espana Manila.  

Frank is inviting everyone to come.  Mario O'Hara, Joel Lamangan and Chin Chin Gutierrez will be there.  Maybe even Nora.

I'm buying a copy for myself.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Dec 01, 2002 at 02:12 PM »

starring Nora Aunor.

It will be launched on December 10, Tuesday, 4 to 7 pm at the Thomas Aquinas Auditorium, UST at Espana Manila.  

Frank is inviting everyone to come.  Mario O'Hara, Joel Lamangan and Chin Chin Gutierrez will be there.  Maybe even Nora.

It's probably better if the book is packaged with a DVD/VCD of the actual TV shows. The same way that James Cameron's Aliens or The Abyss DVD includes the screenplay of the movie as a Special Feature.

I have a copy of Ricky Lee's Si Tatang at mga Himala ng Ating Panahon which includes the screenplay of Himala so I'll probably buy this one too.

Now, can we get DVDs or even VHS copies of the old TV drama anthologies like Ang Makulay na Daigdig ni Nora, Hilda, Balintataw at iba pa. I believe Lino Brocka, Mario O'Hara, and Ishmael Bernal also did some fine work on TV. As Noel has stated in one of his articles, Insiang and Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos came from a TV script of Hilda.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 12:38 PM »
It's probably better if the book is packaged with a DVD/VCD of the actual TV shows. The same way that James Cameron's Aliens or The Abyss DVD includes the screenplay of the movie as a Special Feature.

Whoa, sana, if it was being published by Barnes and Nobles!  UST press lang ito, it's not going to be a prestige launch, more's the pity...

Rally them Noranians to go!  Or at least buy the book.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Dec 07, 2002 at 01:46 AM »
Originally posted by Noel Vera

starring Nora Aunor.

CORRECTION: it's now at December 11 WEDNSDAY, not Tuesday.

Still no confirmation that Nora can't make it...meaning, who knows?  She might! :D

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Dec 08, 2002 at 03:04 PM »
I read this from a Nora Aunor Yahoo Group:

In 1997, her movie, "The Flor Contemplacion Story", had the singular distinction of being the first local movie to be carried in a laser disc format through Miramax, an outfit of Walt Disney Corporation in the USA.

If anyone has a copy of this laserdisc or if you know of anyone that wants to sell their laserdisc copy since this movie is now available on DVD, let me know.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 08:14 AM »
Got my Winter Holiday VHS copy I ordered from Kabayan Central. I also ordered My Blue Hawaii but I was told there's an audio problem with that one so they cancelled the order.

In Winter Holiday, Nora plays a travel agent who won a trip to Sapporo, Japan. In order for her to sell the last ticket and win the trip, she promise Tirso Cruz III to be his tourist guide in Sapporo. While in Sapporo, the two fell in love but Tirso's father, played by Luis Gonzales, objected to their affair. Of course, this being a Guy & Pip movie, the father changes his mind and there's a happy ending.

As customary with the early Nora movies, we get to see several musical numbers. There's Guy & Pip walking in knee deep snow all bundled up in their winter clothes playing and singing in a winter wonderland. The best one is a fantasy sequence where the two imagine themselves as japanese wearing the traditional japanese kimono and Nora's hair made up like a japanese doll. I don't know the title of the songs, one I think is called 'Sakura" but you'll recall it when you hear it because Nora made them popular at the time.

Winter Holiday was filmed in Sapporo, Japan during the Winter Olympics. Parts of the Winter Olympics opening ceremony were included in the movie. Guy and Pip were shown seated among the audience.

The picture quality, as the Kabayan Central website stated, is not perfect. It's like the black & white movies we watched on afternoon TV, with white streaks running across the screen sometimes. But its worth it, just to see Guy & Pip again, in their prime.

You may order a VHS copy of Winter Holiday from Sampaguita Pictures Archives thru Kabayan Central website.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2002 at 12:02 PM by pinoymovies »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Dec 18, 2002 at 05:34 AM »
I received my copy of Mel Tobias' book "One Hundred Acclaimed Tagalog Movies" today.  Of the 100 movies included in the book, 9 are Nora Aunor movies. The book was published in 1998 and it includes Filipino movies from 1940s to late 1990s. Anyway here's the list of Nora movies included in the book (alphabetical order):

1. Ang Totoong Buhay ni Pacita M.

2. Bona

3. Bulaklak sa City Jail

4. Flor Contemplacion Story

5. Himala

6. 'Merika

7. Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo

8. Tatlong Ina, Isang Anak

9. Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos

Tobias should have added Ina Ka ng Anak Mo to make it a perfect 10. Or instead of Pacita M, I would add Andrea or Bakit Bughaw ang Langit.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Dec 19, 2002 at 03:01 AM »
Tobias forgot Condemned and Kastilyong Buhangin.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Dec 19, 2002 at 12:02 PM »
Is it true thst Nora was the first choice to play the role of Sister Stella L.? I wonder how she would have portrayed the role?

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Dec 19, 2002 at 11:41 PM »
rmn, I remember reading an article about that. During the negotiations with Vilma Santos, Mother Lily said something like "bagay naman pala ang role kay Nora" causing Vilma to say yes to the offer immediately.

I've heard that Nora Aunor was offered Dekada 70 first but there was a disagreement with her talent fee.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 07:58 AM »
As part of my never ending quest to find more Nora info on the web, I came across these short review of BONA from TV Guide Online. Here's the review:

A fascinating Filipino film by one of that country's best directors. Aunor is a schoolgirl from a middle-class family who falls in love with Salvador, a seedy gigolo and part-time movie extra. She moves into his shanty in a Manila slum and takes care of him, performing menial tasks and patiently standing by while he carries on with other women. When he plans to leave her to go to America, though, she gets violent. Although Brocka is perhaps the best-known Filipino filmmaker (in Europe, at least), his works were frequently banned under the Ferdinand Marcos regime. Much of BONA was shot in 1980 in the slums of Manila, one of the last films to be made in the area. Filipino First Lady Imelda Marcos called most of the power structure of Filipino filmmaking into her office and reportedly announced, "American films make everyone want to be American. Filipino films should make us all pleased to be Filipinos and must only reflect the good, the true, the beautiful." (In Tagalog; English subtitles).

Source: http://www.tvguide.com/Movies/database/ShowMovie.asp?MI=20087

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Dec 21, 2002 at 02:26 PM »
As far as I know, the only president to ever ban Brocka was Cory Aquino.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Dec 24, 2002 at 03:01 PM »
Using a digital camera, I was able to get some movie stills of Winter Holiday off the TV screen. Its not perfect but the pictures are viewable. Its posted at this url:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/winterholiday.html

Also took pictures of Bituin off the TV screen. Check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/bituin122302.html

Offline aklan4ever

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Dec 27, 2002 at 04:01 PM »
pinoymovies, you've been busy. six pages for the nora aunor thread.  :D

but seriously, thanks for the Bituin photo updates. you didn't post the photo updates index url so I'll do it for you:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/Bituinindex.html

will you be giving us updates everyday?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Dec 27, 2002 at 09:58 PM »
Anything on "Ina ka ng Anak ko?"

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Dec 27, 2002 at 11:58 PM »
"Anything on "Ina ka ng Anak ko?" "

Only that Hammi Sotto, the only other film critic I know who can actually SPELL Karlovy Vary, thinks it's the greatest film Brocka ever directed...

It's pretty good, I think; a middle-class Insiang.  Butch Dalisay's best screenplay, possibly...

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Dec 28, 2002 at 03:02 PM »
As part of our "familiarization" with Nora, let's take a look back at Nora and the Metro Manila Filmfest:

1976 was the year that Metro Manila Filmfest brought us Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon; Insiang and Nora's entry, Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo. 1976 was the start of Nora's awakening as a serious actress. Although she was nominated, it was Hilda Koronel as Insiang that emerge victorious.

1977 - Nora's entry was Bakya Mo Neneng with Joseph Estrada and Tirso Cruz III. But this was the year of Vilma Santos as the Burlesk Queen. Celso Ad Castillo's movie swept the awards that year.

1978 - Nora has two entries: one a drama, Atsay directed by Eddie Garcia and the other a comedy with Dolphy, Jack N Jill of the Third Kind. This year the festival decided to give just one acting award, Best Performer. Vilma Santos was the favorite to win, after all she's playing a rape victim under the direction of Lino Brocka in Rubia Servios. "Mali ang hula nila," says Nora as she accepts the Best Performer Award, while her two movies compete for top grosser of the filmfest.

1979 - Nora, again has two entries, Nora and Lolita Rodriguez in Ina Ka ng Anak Mo under Lino Brocka and a comedy with Boyet de Leon and Alma Moreno called Bahay-bahayan, Kasal-kasalan. Vilma Santos was paired with Charito Solis in Modelong Tanso. I've always wondered if these pairings were planned or coincidence: Nora and Lolita vs. Vilma and Charito. Anyway, Nora and Lolita tied for Best Actress that year.

1980 - Nora's two entries that year were both dramas: Lino Brocka's Bona and Laurice Guillen's Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo. Vilma was in Danny Zialcita's Langis at Tubig. The surprise winner that year was Marilou Diaz-Abaya's Brutal with Amy Austria winning Best Actress. Noranians complained that Philip Salvador had more screen time than Nora in Bona that's why she lost. I think Brutal was just a better movie.

1981 - Mike de Leon's Kisapmata's year. Vilma - Best Actress in Karma.

1982 - Nora was back in the winner's circle with Himala, Ishmael Bernal's now classic movie and probably Nora's best movie ever.

She will win four more Best Actress awards from the filmfest: Bulaklak sa City Jail (1984), Andrea (1990), Pacita M. (1991) and Muling Umawit ang Puso (1995).

It is too bad that Nora did not have an entry to this year's filmfest. As you can see from the quoted post, the Metro Manila Filmfest had always been kind to Nora.

7 Best Actress including the one-time Best Performer award compared to Vilma Santos' 3 Best Actress.

Anything on "Ina ka ng Anak ko?"

rmn:  You'll find a link to Ina Ka ng Anak Mo movie review at this webpage.

but seriously, thanks for the Bituin photo updates. you didn't post the photo updates index url so I'll do it for you:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/Bituinindex.html

will you be giving us updates everyday?

Since I'm on X'mas break from work, I have time to update (12/27/02 is posted) but I'm not sure about later on. I'll try.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Jan 04, 2003 at 03:25 PM »
Here's a bit of info about Nora Aunor as a recording artist.

In 1968, a little girl from Bicol was contracted by Alpha Records upon the recommendation of Carmen Soriano. Her name was Nora Villamayor, known to *Tawag ng Tanghalan ( a popular local amateur singing contest (Challenge of the Champions)) followers as Nora Aunor.

This marked the beginning of the Golden Age of Local Recording. Although Nora's first singles were not major hits, she smashed all record sales with her series of hits which included "It's Time to Say Goodbye", "Silently", "Forever Loving You", "It's Not Unusual", and countless others. In her seven years with Alpha, she was able to set all-time high record sales which up to this day has not been surpassed. She had more than 100 hit singles, more than 15 hit albums, and several extended plays. At the height of her popularity as a recording artist, local records soared up to 75% of national sales. During this time, such young stars as Lirio Vital, Manny de Leon, Rhodora Silva, Eva Vivar, Jay Ilagan, Darius Razon were also signed up by Alpha.

Source:  http://www.alpharecords.ph/aboutus.htm

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Jan 04, 2003 at 05:03 PM »
Have you read the book Readings in Philippine Cinema edited by Rafael Ma. Guerrero and published by the ECP (1983)? Theres an article in the book on Nora Aunor.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2003 at 06:11 PM by rmn »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 12:56 AM »
rmn, do you know if that's available online? I would like to buy a copy.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 11:11 AM »
Pinoymovies, I'm not sure. Its pretty old and I doubt there  are copies still available. But you can probably try. The article, by the way, was written by Virgilio Almario (translated to English) and is entitled Cinderella Superstar: The Life and Legend of Nora Aunor. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2003 at 06:13 PM by rmn »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Jan 09, 2003 at 12:29 PM »
rmn, what's the possibility of getting me a copy of the article? :)