Author Topic: The Nora Aunor Thread  (Read 266910 times)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Notwithstanding her personal trivialities, i believe she is indeed an ICON representing the best of the best of philippine movie industry  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Jojo, your name popped up in an Inquirer story regarding Nora's win in Princetown.

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jojo, your name popped up in an Inquirer story regarding Nora's win in Princetown.

it did? i haven't even read the article...

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
it did? i haven't even read the article...

Just read Butch Francisco's column in the Philippine Star doubting the existence of such an award. Looks like a controversy looming for Nora when I do believe that she needs no more additional award to prove her worth. I remember Butch Francisco quoting you as an overenthusiastic fan.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Just read Butch Francisco's column in the Philippine Star doubting the existence of such an award. Looks like a controversy looming for Nora when I do believe that she needs no more additional award to prove her worth. I remember Butch Francisco quoting you as an overenthusiastic fan.

really? just like the other article, i haven't read it as well... overenthusiastic?  if that's his opinion i should respect it after all he's Butch Francisco.  ;)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Jojo, I just read the essay that you wrote in the Nora book. Twas very nice and I'm sure she was touched ;)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Jojo, I just read the essay that you wrote in the Nora book. Twas very nice and I'm sure she was touched ;)

thanks a lot Ramon! first for getting a copy of the book and also for the nice words about my essay. Ate Guy just read the book recently and she loved all the essays... she cannot believe the outpouring of love her fans has devoted to her all these years!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
great review Noel! i just hope Mario O'Hara has read it...

You kidding? Only thing he reads is the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Edgardo Reyes, and Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Well, maybe someone'll show him the article.

Thanks!

Offline emvi_2000

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Pinoymovies,
Posted my reply here para di OT.  ;)
Found clippings of Isagani Cruz' Movie Times column from TV Times. These are the reviews I found on Nora's films - Bona, Kastilyong Buhangin and Nakaw na Pag-ibig. There's also Isagani's quick rundown of 1979's significant local films.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
Pinoymovies,
Posted my reply here para di OT.  ;)
Found clippings of Isagani Cruz' Movie Times column from TV Times. These are the reviews I found on Nora's films - Bona, Kastilyong Buhangin and Nakaw na Pag-ibig. There's also Isagani's quick rundown of 1979's significant local films.

Thanks emvi_2000 for checking but I think I may already have the reviews you referred to. Please compare it with the reviews below and let me know if it's different. The Kastilyong Buhangin review was a negative one so I did not use it. Thanks again and keep me in mind when your digging thru your other clippings.  :)

Bona review and Nakaw na Pag-ibig review

Offline emvi_2000

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Yup! Same reviews. Will keep you posted if I see some more articles/reviews.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:

Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo will be shown for FREE on November 25, 2005, Friday, 4PM at the Shangrila Plaza in EDSA, Shang Cineplex Cinema. The screening is part of The Feminist Centennial Filmfest.

Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo Info and Reviews
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2005 at 01:30 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Hi, question: does anyone here remember when was the first time anyone referred to Aunor as 'Superstar?' Actual date and article would be nice, but barring that, just the year will suffice.

How about what years did the show 'Superstar' run?

Finally: there's this egroup "NoraAunorQeenofPhilippineCinema" that invited me to be a member. Anyone heard of these people?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Nora Aunor was first referred to as the Superstar of Philippine Cinema in 1971 after her film Lollipops & Roses co-starring Victor Laurel shattered all box-office records putting a stop to the bomba films of the late 60's & early 70's which dominated the industry back then.

Superstar ran for 21 years if I'm not mistaken. it started as the Nora-Eddie Show in 1968, then it became the Nora Aunor Show finally becoming Superstar in late 1971. the show ended in 1989.

regarding the e-group you've mentioned, the owner i believe is a former ICON member. i wouldn't waste my time on them... just my personal opinion.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
to jojo and to all other noranians visiting this thread, check out my tribute site for Ate Guy. I posted several updates, just check the list of updates near the bottom of the page. Here's the url:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/nora_aunor.html

jojo hope you receive my email...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Nora Aunor was first referred to as the Superstar of Philippine Cinema in 1971 after her film Lollipops & Roses co-starring Victor Laurel shattered all box-office records putting a stop to the bomba films of the late 60's & early 70's which dominated the industry back then.

Ah, then Frank Rivera was right when he said Lino Brocka said, when approached to do a film (that was to become Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos) "I want nothing to do with that superstar!"

I just corrected something the group was saying; they thought Segurista was the Insiang remake, when Tatsulok was closer, and said Mona Lisa was Amanda Page's mother when it was Elizabeth Oropesa. That's about all my involvement with them to date.

Funny, but they made me a member without my permission. I thought you couldn't do that anymore in the yahoogroups.

I'll check out those updates soonest...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
And apparently they are not going to approve my post correcting them. So I'm a member without posting priviliges. Huh.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
to jojo and to all other noranians visiting this thread, check out my tribute site for Ate Guy. I posted several updates, just check the list of updates near the bottom of the page. Here's the url:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/nora_aunor.html

jojo hope you receive my email...

i never received your e-mail Ken...  will you please re-send it again?

Offline loonzhaus

• Collector
  • born to love NORA AUNOR
  • Liked:
KUWENTONG GAMU-GAMO

Nag-undertime ako kahapon ng hapon.  Kahit nasa gitna kami ng budgetting season dito sa office, sabi ko sa sarili ko na walang makakahigit sa pagkakataon na mapanuod ang Minsa’y Isang Gamu-gamo on big screen.  I took a cab going to the MRT station sa tabi ng GMA 7.  Nakarating ako sa Shangrila Plaza bandang 3:30 PM.  Ka-text ko si Albert Sunga at Mandy Diaz and apparently ay male-late sila dahil sa traffic.  Kinabahan ako na baka walang manuod ng showing na ito lalo na nga at alanganing oras ito ipalalabas dahil nasa opisina pa ang karamihan ng tao.  Nag-text brigade ako nuong umaga sa mga ICONians and true enough, marami ang nag-beg-off dahil nga sa trabaho.  Bago tumuloy sa Cinema 3, bumaba muna ako sa ground floor para bumili ng Noranian book for Ate Ana na ipinangako kong papipirmahan sa mga may akdang dadalo sa showing. 

After paying sa counter, humangos na ako paakyat sa Cinema 3.  Habang nasa escalator, nakahinga ako ng maluwag nang makita ko si Nestor de Guzman at Don Doria kasama ng isang GANAP member na naghihintay sa may lobby.  Sa loob-loob ko, at least, kahit tatlo man lang ay may makakasama ako, hehehe.  Papunta na ako sa lugar na kinatatayuan nilang tatlo nang makita ko si Ramon Bayron na tumitingin sa mga litratong naka-display sa takilya.  Tinapik ko siya at tuwang-tuwa kaming nagkumustahan.  I congratulated him on the success of his Australian trip at binati ko rin na malaki ang ipinayat niya na bumagay naman sa kanya.  Kagagaling lang yata niya sa airport at bumiyahe ng higit sa labindalawang oras kung kaya’t tinutukso ko siyang tuyot, hehehe.  Pagdating namin sa puwesto nila Nestor, nagkuwentuhan kami habang sige ang tingin sa orasan dahil nga wala pa ang mga kasamahan namin.  I went to the counter and got our free tickets para diretso na kami kapag sumapit ang alas kuwatro.  Duon ko inabutan si Joseph dela Cruz na muntik ko nang hindi makilala sa laki ng ipinayat din.  Bunga raw ng mesotheraphy, cardio-vascular exercises at calorie counting.  Mahal daw lahat ‘yun kung kaya’t hanggang calorie counting lang siguro ako, hehehe.  Bigla tuloy akong napahawak sa tiyan ko at tuluyang na-insecure, hahaha.  I texted Jonathan Catunao who is bringing three of his friends to the screening and he assured me na on the way na sila pero sadyang traffic nga lang kaya malamang na ma-late sila.  Si Glorina Tugade na nag-attempt din makarating ay tuluyan nang hindi nakapanuod dahil din sa traffic.  Biyernes kasi at long weekend pa kung kaya’t puno ang mga kalye.

Sumapit ang alas-kuwatro at pumasok na kami sa sinehan.  Laking gulat namin to find out na halos puno na ang sinehan ng mga tao.  Ang natitira na lang na bakante ay ang limang rows ng upuan sa bandang gitna na may nakasulat na reserved para sa mga miyembro ng media at mga pass holders.  Tuwang-tuwa kami dahil success ang showing sa dami ng manunuod.  Iginala ko ang aking mga mata and apparently, hindi sila ‘yung usual Noranians na nakakasama namin sa mga ganitong special screening.  Maraming mukhang miyembro ng academe.  Mga nakabihis at naka-alahas pa.  Wala ang mga taga-Federation pero may mangilan-ngilang members ng GANAP sa pangunguna ni Mandy Diaz na dumating mga ilang minuto pagkatapos magsimula ng pelikula kasama si Albert at si Marites de Vera.  Glad to say na may mga ICONians na dumating.  Bukod sa mga nabanggit ko, andun din si Iggy na isa sa mga sumulat sa ating libro.  Dumating after 15 minutes sina Jonathan at mga kasamahan niya, dalawa dito ay Vilmanian.  Layunin daw ni Athan na ipamulat sa mga ito ang artistry ni Ate Guy.  May dalawang row ng mga estudyante sa likuran na halatang mong hindi mapakali sa kanilang mga upuan.  But in fairness, tumahimik sila nu’ng nagsisimula na ang palabas.

Kakaibang experience talaga to see this movie on the big screen.  Sabi nga ni Ramon na katabi ko sa upuan, ito ang tipo ng pelikula na dapat ipinadadala sa Oscars dahil ramdam na ramdam dito ang pagiging Pilipino natin.  Sadyang napakatapang ng pelikulang ito.  Mula sa simula hanggang sa dulo, anti-American siya, considering that it was shown nu’ng panahon napakainit pa ng relasyong RP-US.  Sabi nga namin nila Ramon at Joseph, parang walang nagbago sa mentalidad ng mga tao at ng gobyerno mula nuon hanggang ngayon sa pakikitungo sa mga Amerikano.  Hitik din sa simbolismo ang pelikula lalo na ang paghalintulad sa atin bilang mga baboy na kayang bilhin por kilo.  Tunay ngang nakakabuhay ng dugong Pilipino ang pelikulang ito.  Na-realize din namin na mas magaling na aktor pala si Jay Ilagan over Boyet de Leon.  And he’s goodlooking huh!  Sabi naman ni Ramon, as early as 1976, nagpakita na si Ate Guy ng maturity bilang aktres, hindi lamang sa pagganap kung hindi sa pagpayag niyang maging parte ng isang ensemble movie – isang pelikulang hindi lahat ng atensyon ay nakatuon sa kanyang karakter.  Masasabi natin na ang unang bahagi ng pelikula ay kay Boni at sa kanyang nanay na nilapastangan ng isang guwardiya.  Sa ikalawang bahagi lamang tumuon ang istorya sa sariling pakikipaglaban ni Corazon dela Cruz.  Kahit superstar na nuong panahon na ‘yun si Ate Guy, she was so selfless and agreed to be part of this great movie.  Sadya nga yatang maagang nagising ang sensibilidad ni Ate Guy gayundin ang kanyang pag-unawa sa tunay na sining ng pelikula.

Nag-enjoy din kami ni Ramon sa pagkilala sa mga artistang kasama sa pelikula katulad ni Kuya Germs, ni Leo Martinez na gumanap na travel agent ni Corazon, si Manny Castañeda na isang parloristang nag-ayos sa kaibigan ni Corazon, si Evelyn Vargas na isa sa mga kaibigan din nila, si Lily Miraflor na napaka-epektibo bilang kaibigan ni Perla Bautista, si Gloria Sevilla bilang ina ni Corazon at marami pang iba.  Andun din pala ang Sandico brothers na bestfriend ni Buboy sa totoong buhat. 

Ramdam namin na engaged na engaged ang mga manunuod sa pelikula.  Maraming natuwa, at napapalakpak, lalo na sa hanay nila Mandy sa mga musical numbers ni Ate Guy.  Sabi nga nuong nasa likuran namin, dapat daw ay iparinig ito sa mga singers ngayon para malaman nila na mas masarap pakinggan ang mga awiting hindi binibirit.  Fashion wise, maraming nagandahan sa mga damit na suot ni Ate Guy lalo pa nga at retro ang fad ngayon dito.  Mararamdaman mo ang pagpigil sa hininga ng mga manunuod lalo na duon sa eksenang babarilin na ang kapatid ni Corazon.  At nang mabaril na ito, dama mo ang pagkagulat at lambong ng lungkot sa mga manunuod.  “Sabi na kasi, huwag pupunta at mamumulot ng mga bala eh,” paninisi ng iba.

Marami ding napaluha, kasama na ako, duon sa eksenang pilit na binubuhay ni Corazon ang kapatid sa pamamagitan ng CPR at sa eksenang pinupunasan niya ang bangkay nito.  Tunay ka kapatid na Willi Pascual, kamay pa lang ni Ate Guy, umaarte na!  At sino ang hindi matitigalgal sa intensity ng eksenang “My brother is not a pig!”  Malugod ko pong sasabihin na dalawang beses pumalakpak ang mga tao sa eksenang ito.  Marami din nagsabing, “ay diyan pala ‘yung eksenang ‘yun!”  At may mga naka-realize din na tunay palang napakaganda ng eksenang ito na madalas babuyin ng mga impersonators katulad ng “Walang himala!” scene.  Hindi lang po kami ang pumalakpak sa eksenang ito, tinignan ko rin po ang paligid at nagpalakpakan din po ang mga ibang manunuod lalo na ang grupo ng mga estudyante sa likuran.  Marami ding nakagusto sa mga dialogues na “Minsa’y isang gamu-gamo ang hindi natakot bumangga sa agila” at “Masdan mo ang litrato ng kapatid ko…..sabihin mo sa kanila……hindi siya baboy……ang kapatid ko ay tao!”  Enough na sa akin na na-appreciate nila ang eksenang ito para sabihing mission accomplished tayo nuong hapon na ‘yun.

Nang matapos ang pelikula, isa pa uling masigabong palakpakan ang ibinigay ng audience sa pelikula.  Habang nagbababaan ang mga nanuod, maririnig mo ang mga komento nila in praise of the movie and of Ate Guy.  Maraming nagsasabing helpless daw pala tayo sa mga Amerikano.  ‘Yung mga estudyante sa likuran ay paulit-ulit nang sinasabi ang “My brother is not a pig” at tuluyan na kaming napangiti nila Albert dahil senyales ‘yun na naipakilala natin si Ate Guy successfully sa bagong henerasyon ng manunuod na nire-represent ng mga estudyanteng ito.  Wish namin na marami pang screening na katulad nito para tuluyang kilalanin ng new generation si Ate Guy.  Nag-text sa akin si Athan nuong madaling araw at Inamin daw ng mga kaibigan niya na magaling at flawless ang pagganap ni Ate Guy pero hindi daw credible ang istorya pero ibinalik sa kanila na hindi maaaring sabihing hindi credible dahil based on true and documented stories ang pelikulang ito.  Du’n na sila tuluyang napatahimik.

Sama-sama naming sinilip ang exhibit ng festival at duon na rin kami nag-usap tungkol sa ICON at sa mga proyekto darating kasama na ang private screening ng BONA at ang museum tour sa Mowelfund.  Masaya kaming naghiwa-hiwalay after more than an hour na kuwentuhan.  Pauwi, nasabi ko sa sarili ko na mabuti na lang at hindi ko pinalagpas ang hapong ito.  Muli ay hinangaan ko ang talino at tapang ni Ate Guy.  Ang sarap talaga ng feeling that you’re proud of your idol’s accomplishments.  Sana maulit muli.

Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo will be shown for FREE on November 25, 2005, Friday, 4PM at the Shangrila Plaza in EDSA, Shang Cineplex Cinema. The screening is part of The Feminist Centennial Filmfest.

Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo Info and Reviews

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Ah, then Frank Rivera was right when he said Lino Brocka said, when approached to do a film (that was to become Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos) "I want nothing to do with that superstar!"

I just corrected something the group was saying; they thought Segurista was the Insiang remake, when Tatsulok was closer, and said Mona Lisa was Amanda Page's mother when it was Elizabeth Oropesa. That's about all my involvement with them to date.

Funny, but they made me a member without my permission. I thought you couldn't do that anymore in the yahoogroups.

I'll check out those updates soonest...

Frank was absolutely right Noel! as for those members in that other e-group who pretends to know everything about Philippine Cinema just ignore them... don't even correct their posts. most of them don't have the faintest idea on what they're talking about.

they can still can automatically make you a member even without your permission. you can unsubscribe though...

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
KUWENTONG GAMU-GAMO

Marlon, thanks for posting your report here. This is the kind of posting that I used to enjoy reading at the Nora Yahoo group now famously known as ICON. One of these days I must devote some time to review the postings there and 'bookmark' all your reports like the one from the Fans day, the one from the concert, the one from the Star Awards and many others.

Offline loonzhaus

• Collector
  • born to love NORA AUNOR
  • Liked:
Marlon, thanks for posting your report here. This is the kind of posting that I used to enjoy reading at the Nora Yahoo group now famously known as ICON. One of these days I must devote some time to review the postings there and 'bookmark' all your reports like the one from the Fans day, the one from the concert, the one from the Star Awards and many others.

Walang anuman Ken.  Salamat at nagustuhan mo.  Inspiring lang talaga ang experience namin last Friday at tunay na hindi ko 'yun mapapalampas.  Ingats lagi and God bless po!   ;)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of joey jazz
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 7:55 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [NoraAunor] Noel Vera and Jojo de Vera

And what does this Jojo de vera think of himself? What do you know, anyway? 

what do i know? apparently, a lot more than you! i don't even think of myself as anybody important.  in the first place what i posted is my own opinion... i'm not even a member of your e-group. if you have nothing else to talk about... why not discuss Ate Guy's films? i'm not interested on what the other Noranians or movie reporters think of me, they're opinions mean nothing. what's important is that i still have Ate Guy's love, trust & respect. in fact i'm still very much in touch in her. she just sent me a text message last Thanksgiving Day and i recently sent her a copy of Bona on dvd...
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2005 at 08:17 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
When will I ever get to see Bona and Bulaklak ng City Jail? I got no cable tv!  ;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
don't worry Ramon, you will! may padala akong copies for you as promised... kasabay ng kay Ronald.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Salamat! Salamat  ;)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
anytime Ramon... payback ito for doing most of the leg work sa mga movie posters na naka-frame nang lahat at nakasabit sa bedroom ko. mukhang sinehan na ang kuwarto ko.  ;D

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re:The Nora Aunor Thread
« Reply #989 on: Dec 04, 2005 at 03:05 AM »
Absolutely pm.  But if I ever get a chance to see Bakit Bughaw ng Langit (got a tape?), can we replace the one you have there?  It has a few comments that really set my teeth on the edge.  

I THINK it's in your website.  Isagani Cruz, or Mario Hernando or someone.

Noel, I added the link to your Bakit Bughaw ang Langit review to my website but decided to keep Isagani Cruz' review. Except for the few comments, its basically a rave review for Bakit Bughaw. Btw, I added the link to information regarding your book to the "movie review" section.