Author Topic: The Nora Aunor Thread  (Read 266892 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Thanks, Jo!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
you're welcome Noel! thanks also for the acknowledgement

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos Screening
« Reply #1052 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 02:11 AM »
The Cultural Center of the Philippines and the International Circle of Online Noranians (ICON) present a commemorative 30th anniversary screening of Mario O’Hara’s Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos on November 19, 2006 (Sunday), 3:00 pm, at the CCP Dream Theater, CCP. (The film will be shown in 35 mm format, copied from the master print.)

You'll find screencaps and links to Jojo Devera and Noel Vera's review of Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos here

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Read over your article again Jojo. Love the personal details.

I think I can trace the critical re-appraisal of the film back to 1996, during one of the earliest of the Pelikula At Lipunan festivals in Megamall. The film had been largely forgotten by most people then (unless you know otherwise Jo!), and seeing it then for the first time I was--what? I'd seen Bagong Hari on its comercial run, and that blew me away; I thought O'Hara was the greatest Filipino action filmmaker ever. Seeing Tatlong Taong in that 1996 screening was, if anything, the film that confirmed for me that he was the greatest Filipino filmmaker, period.

Haven't stopped writing about it ever since, and I notice a little bandwagon starting around the time, one that hasn't quite stopped, and hopefully won't stop for years to come...
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2006 at 01:30 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
posted by thirstytrooper in ICON Yahoo Group

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Atsay, the film that gave the Superstar her only Best Performer Award at the 1978 MMFF is finally available on original VCD!!!

http://kabayancentral.com/video/others/cpotatsay.html

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: The Nora Aunor Thread
« Reply #1056 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 12:48 PM »
TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS (Mario O'Hara)

Saw it finally in one sitting and I heard that the print  they show at the CCP is in sepia already. O'Hara is one filmmaker to be reckon with along with Gallaga & Castillo. The ending is simply superb, depressing and haunting. Aunor's performance is one for the books along with HIMALA, BONA and BULAKLAK SA CITY JAIL. The character development and narrative are excellent.

It could have been the prequel to ORO PLATA MATA if they exert it with more lavish production design and cinematography.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2006 at 12:58 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1057 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 01:34 PM »
The production design is exactly what was needed; Vincente Bonus was an authority on the Japanese Occupation period.

And I prefer the cinematography in Tatlong Taong, frankly: less flashy, more intelligent. See Dan Salitt's remarks regarding the film's cinematography (bottom of the post)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1058 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 05:56 PM »
The film captured effectively the atmosphere of the Japanese era. And Brocka passed on this project?! Yeah agree with you regarding O'hara, he is at his best filming action scenes that makes the action scenes in the bandits hideout in ORO PLATA MATA too theatrical.

This was Peque's best film as a thespian.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1059 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 08:41 AM »
Peque was terrific here, absolutely great. And his final scene is short, wordless, yet utterly heartbreaking.

You have to remember who are Gallaga and O'Hara's respective inspirations for their style. Gallaga in Oro Plata drew from Bertolucci and Visconti for the party sequences, from Peckinpah for the final showdown. O'Hara draws from Gerardo de Leon and through him John Ford, and can we say Ford is a lesser filmmaker than Peckinpha (well, we can, but I certainly don't). I'd like to add Renoir to the mix, but O'Hara has never seen a Renoir. I think he came up with that tone and style of storytelling by himself.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1060 on: Dec 03, 2006 at 09:16 AM »
post cinemanila note..

we received hundred calls from noranians asking us when and where care home will be shown...hayyy...

Offline loonzhaus

• Collector
  • born to love NORA AUNOR
  • Liked:
« Reply #1061 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 08:42 AM »
Ang Nawawalang Bahagi ng Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos

Nuong Nov. 19 ay matagumpay na idinaos ang selebrasyon ng ikatatlumpung taon ng pelikulang “Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos” sa Tanghalang Manuel Conde (Dream Theater) ng Cultural Center of the Philippines.  Sa pakikipagtulungan ni Ms. Vicky Belarmino ng CCP, ipinalabas ang 35mm copy ng pelikula na tunay namang kahanga hanga bagama’t ito ay kulay sepia dahil ito ay kinunan from positive.  Sabi nga ni Direk Mario, mas naging kaiga-igaya ang pelikula sa kulay nitong sepia dahil nabigyan ito ng bagong dimension at nagmistulang isang period movie.  Dinagsa ang screening ng mga estudyante mula sa College of the Holy Spirit at ng University of Asia and the Pacific gayundin ng mga miyembro ng GANAP, Federation at ICON.  Pagkatapos handugan ng isang commemorative plaque si Direk Mario, kanyang sinabi na kung siya ang tatanungin ay isang bagay lamang ang hinihingi niyang mangyari (at ito ay dapat magsilbing hamon sa lahat ng nagmamahal kay Ms. Nora Aunor at sa Pelikulang Pilipino) – at ito ay matagpuan ang nawawalang bahagi ng Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos.

Kung ating susuriin ang mga existing copies ng pelikula, kasama na ang kopya ng CCP kung saan ibinase din ang kopyang naka-archive ngayon sa Fukuoka, Japan, PUTOL po ang eksenang hinahabol ni Rosario si Masugi matapos nitong magtapat ng pagmamahal sa kanya habang sinisigawan ng “Sinungaling!”  Pinutol ito hanggang duon sa pagbaba ng hagdan ni Rosario at hindi na naipakita ang paghabol niya hanggang sa tumatakbong sasakyan na dapat ay nagtapos sa isang full close-up shot ng kanyang mukha.  Para kay Direk Mario, ito daw ang maituturing niyang pinakamaganda at pinakamagaling na eksenang nagawa ni Nora Aunor.  Ikinuwento niya na ang pagkakaalam niya ay may sampung kopya ng pelikulang Tatlong Taon na buo at hindi putol.  Ikinuwento din niya na ang nangyari daw nuon ay nang humingi ang FAMAS ng film clip mula sa pelikula para sa kanilang review ay pinutol itong bahaging ito nila Ms. Pearl Valdez upang maipadala sa FAMAS dahil sa kakulangan sa oras.  Ang pagkakamali lamang nuong pumutol ay hindi na nakuha at naibalik ang bahaging ito kung kaya’t nanatili nang putol ang mga kopyang pang lumabas.

Sabi niya, makukumpleto ang kaligayahan niya kung ang bahaging ito ng pelikula ay makukuha at maibabalik kung saan ito nararapat.  Ito ay isang hamon sa ating mga nagmamahal kay Nora Aunor.  Ito ay isang hamon para sa mga nagmamahal sa Pelikulang Pilipino.  The search is on for the missing part of Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1062 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 08:54 AM »
I heard of that missing portion from Hammi Sotto years back. Hope you find it.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1063 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 10:38 AM »
i just got back from Baltimore where Ate Guy just had a successful show. she's aware of theat missing scene from Tatlong Taon since i gave her a copy of the movie.

Offline loonzhaus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1064 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 10:46 AM »
I heard of that missing portion from Hammi Sotto years back. Hope you find it.

we told Pit Maliksi about it and since member naman siya ng FAMAS, baka matulungan niya kaming mag-search sa archives nito at baka andun 'yung film clip na nawawala....magtatanung-tanong daw siya sa grupo nila.....hayyyy.......

Offline loonzhaus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1065 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 10:49 AM »
i just got back from Baltimore where Ate Guy just had a successful show. she's aware of theat missing scene from Tatlong Taon since i gave her a copy of the movie.

read about your weekend in Baltimore as posted by Leonel in ICON....ang saya saya....ingats lagi kapatid!

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1066 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 03:08 AM »
I uploaded a short video clip of Ate Guy and Sharon from the premiere telecast of Superstar The Legend (1989) in YouTube. Here's the link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFiMsiFDwg0

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1067 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 04:32 AM »
after watching the video... how could you believe that she's really a fan of Vilma Santos?

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1068 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 01:02 AM »

Coming April 2007. Click here for information.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2007 at 01:04 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1069 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 10:07 PM »
^ While we wait for the Guy & Pip concert in New Jersey in April, watch muna kayo ng video clip nila from the movie Winter Holiday (1972). Here's the url from YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcwPyWIeZHw

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1070 on: Mar 03, 2007 at 01:41 PM »

Coming April 2007. Click here for information.

Wow! Ate Guy seems to be in good shape upto now.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1071 on: Apr 19, 2007 at 11:29 AM »
Was listening to Nora's rendition of  Handog (Thanks Jojo!), and while am not i na position to say it's better than Florante's version, (strangely, however, I seem to recall this version more than Florante's) her voice, I realized only now, possess a clarity and ease that I never noticed previously.  I think she should hit the recording studios again.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007 at 11:50 AM by RMN »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1072 on: Apr 19, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
you're welcome Monchito! i've heard Ate Guy sing it live on numerous shows here in the US and everytime she performs Handog, i can't help but get goosebumps. it's her signature song... like you i'm really hoping to hear her record some new songs although i do have some of her recent demo recordings...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1073 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 03:51 PM »
Jojo, could you help me answer the following questions?

1. What year did Nora go to Cannes?
2. What year did she win an acting trophy in Cairo for Flor Contemplation?
3. How long did Superstar air? What year did it end?
4. Any other acting trophies for Nora abroad?
5. When did PETA stage Minsa'y Isang Gamu-Gamu?

Thanks so much in advance.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1074 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 06:24 PM »
here are the answers to all your questions...

Ate Guy went to Cannes in May of 1981
She won Best Actress at the 1995 Cairo International Film Festival
Superstar was on the air for 27 straight years and had it's final episode in 1989
Ate Guy has a total of three International Acting Awards. the one from Cairo, Penang Malaysia's Golden Pearl for Bakit May Kahapon Pa? in 1996 and Brussels for Naglalayag in 2004
Minsa'y Isang Gamu-Gamo was staged by PETA in 1991...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1075 on: May 02, 2007 at 05:32 PM »

Salamat!!!! :)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1076 on: May 02, 2007 at 06:14 PM »
anytime Mon...

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1077 on: May 27, 2007 at 05:13 PM »
pakilist naman po dito sa board ang mga available movies in Ate Guy in VCD/DVD format except Naglalayag, Flor Contemplacion Story and Minsan may isang gamu gamo

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1078 on: May 27, 2007 at 06:23 PM »
here's a list of Ate Guy's movies available on DVD & VCD:

Bakit May Kahapon Pa?
Bilangin Ang Bituin Sa Langit
Atsay
Mga Uod At Rosas
Ikaw Ay Akin
Tinik Sa Dibdib
Babae
Muling Umawit Ang Puso
Fe, Esperanza, Caridad
Magandang Gabi Sa Inyong Lahat
Annie Sabungera
'Merika

most of the Superstar's movies from Sampaguita are available on VHS also Ang Tsimay At Ang Tambay
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007 at 06:35 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1079 on: May 27, 2007 at 06:34 PM »
^thanks kuya Jojo...wow may Atsay...makabili nga...hehehhee

wish there was Himala and Tatlong Taong Walang Dyos

sabi kasi nung friend ko, kaya daw ayaw i-release ng Star Records ang Himala into VCD kasi mataas pa ang Rating nito sa Cinemaone kapag iniair nila (naka ilang replay na ito sa Cinemaone)