Author Topic: The Nora Aunor Thread  (Read 265583 times)

Offline pinoymovies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Nora Aunor Thread
« on: Sep 23, 2002 at 09:02 AM »
I read one of kakakabanas' posts suggesting a thread for the Superstar so here it goes...

We'll let's start with Nora's latest project.

Nora Aunor and Carol Banawa stars in Bituin. The new teleserial on ABS-CBN premieres Sept 23, 2002. Pinoys overseas can catch the show on The Filipino Channel. To read more about BITUIN, click here.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2009 at 12:38 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re:The Nora Aunor Thread
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 01:16 PM »
It had to happen!  ;D

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 09:55 PM »
Btw, am I the only one who thinks Nora Aunor should have her own thread? Most of the young members probably are not familiar with her works and the only great things they can remember about her were Himala and The Flor Contemplacion films.

This is the reason why I started the thread. So let's start with the familiarization... :)

Did you know that Nora Aunor is one of the very few actors and actresses that can actually say they've worked with all four of our National Artist for Films?

Nora Aunor was directed by National Artist Gerry de Leon in the movie Banaue and the Caridad segment of Fe, Esperanza, Caridad.

National Artist Lamberto Avella directed one of the segment of the Fe, Esperanza, Caridad trilogy. It was released in May 1974 in time for Nora's birthday.

National Artist Lino Brocka worked with Nora in Ina Ka ng Anak Mo, Bona, Nakaw na Pag-ibig, and Dalaga si Misis, Binata si Mister.

National Artist Ishmael Bernal gave us Nora's best film, Himala.  He also gave us the Nora- Vilma Santos starrer Ikaw ay Akin. Ishmael Bernal also directed the Nora - Boyet de Leon segment of Bakit May Pag-ibig Pa?

Maybe we can get Noel to review these films. How about it Noel?
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2002 at 10:20 PM by pinoymovies »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 09:58 PM »
There's so much to say about Nora...I'd like to beg off until I have the time to actually devote to discussing her....

Also, I did some articles on those films mentioned...will have to dig em up...

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 04:17 AM »
There's so much to say about Nora...I'd like to beg off until I have the time to actually devote to discussing her....

Also, I did some articles on those films mentioned...will have to dig em up...

A thread for Ate Guy ... yehey !  ;D ;D ;D

Can't wait to read Noel's articles ... no pressure Noel.  :D

8)
k
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2002 at 04:32 AM by kakabanas »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 09:26 AM »
Does she still has the glitter for box-office?

back then.. Yes! I got to agree that the films she made were really great.. I dunno now...
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 10:17 AM »
My sister will be the Director of Bituin starting next week. ( Malu Sevilla )

Levi

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 10:56 AM »
Umamin na yung mga nanood ng Bituin kagabi. :D

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 11:14 AM »
Pag may iba nang naunang umamin saka na ko aamin. ::)

;D

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 01:23 PM »
Ako...the first five minutes, just to see what it's like... ;D O sige Bart ikaw na.  But just for the record, I do not like tele-dramas/tele-seryes local or otherwise (not even Dynasty).
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2002 at 01:26 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 02:24 PM »
I taped the premiere episode and opted to watch it tonight instead of American Idol in Vegas and the celebrity Fear Factor season premiere. Then I watched the season premiere of Everybody Loves Raymond, very deserving of their acting Emmys (two new episodes tonight) and of course, CSI Miami series premiere. Its the first day of the new TV season in the US so there's so many new shows. :D

Anyway back to Bituin, its good but I can't commit to watching this everyday. My tv watching schedule is already full: West Wing 2 hour premiere, The Bachelor premiere and Big Brother finale all on Wed, Survivor and Friends, Thursdays. Gotta get a life. :)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 08:46 PM »
Does she still has the glitter for box-office?

back then.. Yes! I got to agree that the films she made were really great.. I dunno now...

Just curious xage, most of your posts seem to be about box-office. Is it really that important to you ? Would you prefer a movie like The Phantom Menace over Bona ?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 09:15 PM »
I caught the pilot of "Bituin" and I have to say that  although Nora's acting talent is still there, it has become a bit tarnished probably  since she hasn't acted in quite a while. In the really dramatic scenes, she couldn't cry and shed tears.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2004 at 09:44 PM by RMN »

Offline aklan4ever

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 10:10 PM »

Anyway back to Bituin, its good but I can't commit to watching this everyday. My tv watching schedule is already full :)

A typical Noranian, fan daw ni Nora but won't support their idol's TV show.  :(

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 10:40 AM »
Hi aklan4ever. I'll be paying my cable company an additional $12 a month for The Filipino Channel so I can watch Nora's show. Isn't that a show of support?  :)

Offline MonarC

• Collector
  • Everyone Will Suffer
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 01:52 PM »
ako pinanood ko... nakakatawa ang acting ang tigas ng balikat niya... imbes na umiyak ka... hahalakhak ka ;D

but i will watch it religiously though...

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2002 at 02:02 PM »
My sister will be the Director of Bituin starting next week. ( Malu Sevilla )

Levi

Based on the four episodes so far (take note, aklan4ever) :) the Bituin cast and crew are doing a wonderful job. I'm sure your sister will do the same, Levi.

One major improvement I've noticed with Nora, she lost those excessive hand gestures that were so distracting in Flor Contemplacion and Muling Umawit ang Puso.

Now, only if she could let those tears flow. During Nora and Cherie's confrontation last night, Cherie got my symphaty because of that single tear she let go before the picture froze.  :'(

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2002 at 10:24 PM »
ah Ate Guy, looking back at her career- she's still one of the best... ;)

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2002 at 12:18 AM »
 ;D Caught the first two episodes of BITUIN out of curiosity (i thought it to be better than Pangako, the tele suckfest of all time). I guess you could never go wrong with Nora (okay, I'm not a fan but really admire her works) acting wise.

But she looks way, way toooo OLD!! ABS-CBN should have done something about those damn wrinkles. I think she badly needs a massive facial job and a month's session at the spa! And what's with all those stupid wigs!

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2002 at 12:52 PM »
Whatever happened to the "campaign" before to make her a National Artist ? Did it materialize?

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 29, 2002 at 10:11 PM »
Whatever happened to the "campaign" before to make her a National Artist ? Did it materialize?

I don't believe so kakabanas. The National Artist honor is usually awarded posthumously, isn't it?

But she looks way, way toooo OLD!!

Nora is old. She was born May 21, 1953. Even in her younger days, she's not one you would consider a looker. But she certainly make up for it with all that talent.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 29, 2002 at 10:45 PM »

I don't believe so kakabanas. The National Artist honor is usually awarded posthumously, isn't it?

Not true. I believe Atang dela Rama was made one while she was still alive.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 07:14 AM »
As part of our "familiarization" with Nora, let's take a look back at Nora and the Metro Manila Filmfest:

1976 was the year that Metro Manila Filmfest brought us Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon; Insiang and Nora's entry, Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo. 1976 was the start of Nora's awakening as a serious actress. Although she was nominated, it was Hilda Koronel as Insiang that emerge victorious.

1977 - Nora's entry was Bakya Mo Neneng with Joseph Estrada and Tirso Cruz III. But this was the year of Vilma Santos as the Burlesk Queen. Celso Ad Castillo's movie swept the awards that year.

1978 - Nora has two entries: one a drama, Atsay directed by Eddie Garcia and the other a comedy with Dolphy, Jack N Jill of the Third Kind. This year the festival decided to give just one acting award, Best Performer. Vilma Santos was the favorite to win, after all she's playing a rape victim under the direction of Lino Brocka in Rubia Servios. "Mali ang hula nila," says Nora as she accepts the Best Performer Award, while her two movies compete for top grosser of the filmfest.

1979 - Nora, again has two entries, Nora and Lolita Rodriguez in Ina Ka ng Anak Mo under Lino Brocka and a comedy with Boyet de Leon and Alma Moreno called Bahay-bahayan, Kasal-kasalan. Vilma Santos was paired with Charito Solis in Modelong Tanso. I've always wondered if these pairings were planned or coincidence: Nora and Lolita vs. Vilma and Charito. Anyway, Nora and Lolita tied for Best Actress that year.

1980 - Nora's two entries that year were both dramas: Lino Brocka's Bona and Laurice Guillen's Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo. Vilma was in Danny Zialcita's Langis at Tubig. The surprise winner that year was Marilou Diaz-Abaya's Brutal with Amy Austria winning Best Actress. Noranians complained that Philip Salvador had more screen time than Nora in Bona that's why she lost. I think Brutal was just a better movie.

1981 - Mike de Leon's Kisap Mata's year. Vilma - Best Actress in Karma.

1982 - Nora was back in the winner's circle with Himala, Ishmael Bernal's now classic movie and probably Nora's best movie ever.

She will win four more Best Actress awards from the filmfest: Bulaklak sa City Jail (1984), Andrea (1990), Pacita M. (1991) and Muling Umawit ang Puso (1995).
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2002 at 07:25 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 07:34 AM »
1980 - Nora's two entries that year were both dramas: Lino Brocka's Bona and Laurice Guillen's Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo. Vilma was in Danny Zialcita's Langis at Tubig. The surprise winner that year was Marilou Diaz-Abaya's Brutal with Amy Austria winning Best Actress. Noranians complained that Philip Salvador had more screen time than Nora in Bona that's why she lost. I think Brutal was just a better movie.

1982 - Nora was back in the winner's circle with Himala, Ishmael Bernal's now classic movie and probably Nora's best movie ever.

Brutal a better movie ? Come again ?

Himala is a good one, but I prefer Tatlong Taon Walang Diyos and Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 12:40 PM »
Brutal's got real problems for me too--for one thing, it's too simplistic: Jay Ilagan is a monster and Amy Austria a victim.  Bernal would have introduced shadings.

For another, Marilou seems to put more conviction and energy into Charo Santos' story than into Amy's.  I wonder if she still hadn't learned how to empathize with stories far from her own social milieu...

And finally, it's Ricky Lee's movie, not Marilou's.  He's the real auteur.

I've seen Minsa'y Isang Gamu Gamo recently and...well, it hasn't aged well.  I liked Nora in it, she's very intense.  But like Brutal, it's black-and-white, no shadings--the Americans are pigs, and they're projecting on to the Filipinos which is why they mistook Nora's brother for a pig.  Too simplistic for me.

But it won a huge huge critical following when it came out; at that time, anti-American sentiment was high, and this film was just what they wanted to trumpet their cause.  Whereas a film that asked you to, maybe not forgive but to understand your enemy, like Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos...that's simply not done, which is why THAT film suffered from relative neglect for all those years...

Just watch them again, when they play in Cinema One.  The difference is like night and day.  Same with Brutal.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 04:38 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Watched the start of Bituin also to see kung anong meron yung series na to....

Before the series started...I watched Game Ka Na Ba? and the contestants where all Nora Aunor look alikes....hehehe!!..may mga gay syempre.....after the lone contestant won the P100,000.00 prize....Kris called all of the day's contestants and called on Aunor herself on stage to promote the series......o di ba....kaya pala ganun ang set-up...kasi guest nila si Aunor....at may kasama pang plugging......hihihi....yun ang style!!

;D ;D ;D

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 10:01 PM »

Brutal a better movie ? Come again ?

Himala is a good one, but I prefer Tatlong Taon Walang Diyos and Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo.

As a moviegoer, Brutal had more impact for me than Bona during that festival year. That's why in my opinion, Brutal was better than Bona. But what do I know, my all time favorite Nora Aunor movie is Elwood Perez' Mahal Mo, Mahal Ko. Nora with Christopher de Leon and Tirso Cruz III in a love triangle set in Baguio City.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2002 at 10:03 PM by pinoymovies »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 11:25 PM »
I've seen Minsa'y Isang Gamu Gamo recently and...well, it hasn't aged well.  I liked Nora in it, she's very intense.  But like Brutal, it's black-and-white, no shadings--the Americans are pigs, and they're projecting on to the Filipinos which is why they mistook Nora's brother for a pig.  Too simplistic for me.

But it won a huge huge critical following when it came out; at that time, anti-American sentiment was high, and this film was just what they wanted to trumpet their cause.  Whereas a film that asked you to, maybe not forgive but to understand your enemy, like Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos...that's simply not done, which is why THAT film suffered from relative neglect for all those years...

I never thought of Gamu-gamo that way.  I just thought that mistaking her brother for a pig was the American's lame excuse for their careless actions ... like mistaking a fisherman in a boat as a shark. Afterall, they knew they can get away with it ... thanks to shady US Bases contracts ...  and  with a little amount of money, everything else will be forgiven and forgotten in a poor province.  I also liked the fact that everybody didn't care as long as it's not them suffering ... but when it was their turn, that's when they realized what it feels like to be a victim in your own country.

Bona simply showed a flaw among all of us. We're all fanatics and some really do get carried away and to great lengths, forget everything even himself just to be close to the idol.  

I didn't think Tatlong Taon suffered at all.  It just came out at a time when a lot of great movies were also released the same year.  It's like a kid being let go in a toy store,  he wouldn't know where or what to look at first. But it's always been there everytime you see some greatest movies list.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2002 at 03:12 AM by kakabanas »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 01:57 AM »
I think there's been neglect.  Many industry people remember that the most recognized and praised films that year were Insiang, Minsa'y, and Ganito (another one that hasn't aged well).  Minsa'y and Ganito are nationalist-type films, very much in vogue at that time, which is probably why they got a pass, despite the fact that, well, they're not very well made (Sakada is another prime example).  

Tatlong Taong had its share of honors, but no real champions--and the Manunuris sure as heck didn't support it, the most they did was give Nora a Best Actress, but you don't see it in their list of the greatest films.   Bien Lumbera finds it very problematic...but what the heck does he know?  He's a literature guy, he doesn't know a thing about world cinema.  I don't think he's seen a foreign film in years...

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 03:26 AM »
I think I understand what you meant by "neglect".  If you look at the usual Manunuri or critics list, most of them are about everyday life melodramas ... some have social significance. I guess most of them consider Tatlong Taon .. a war film.  Even so, this is the only Filipino war film I can watch over and over again ... I just still don't understand why they had to cut her hair in the end hahaha.

>spoiler<

Maybe aside from Kisapmata, this is the only movie I like where the leads died in the end.

« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2002 at 01:54 AM by kakabanas »