Author Topic: Asian DVDs  (Read 71628 times)

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Can you list down known asian DVD's with english dialogs?
« Reply #60 on: Jul 09, 2002 at 12:50 AM »
Reposted from another thread:

hi everybody,

I would like to start buying Asian DVD's such as Hongkong films, Malaysian, Thai etc, but I want them to have English dialogs, certainly not english sub-titles alone. Can you list down known asian DVD's with english dialogs? thanks.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2002 at 12:54 AM by benny »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re:Asian DVDs
« Reply #61 on: Jul 09, 2002 at 06:54 AM »
Hey Xage,

Maybe you can recommend some "nice" Hsu Chi films to me. The ones where she actually starred and not just to support some action star. A category III rating will be much appreciated. he-he.

Most of her films (Which is in to DVD) are rated II the only one that I heard of as a Cat III was Sex & Zen II however the DVD released was only in PAL format .

*Add On - three more are posted two posts below

Anyway once recommendation is Shu Qi- True Woman but it is categorized as IIB but so far that was the closest I could find  :)

It is hard to find but one online seller has this in stock it is at www.dddhouse.com

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2002 at 07:52 AM by xage »
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jul 09, 2002 at 07:07 AM »
Is Hsu Chi and Shu Qi the same? If it is, I own a movie entitled Iron Sister. Released by WideSight and it is Cat III. Don't ask me about the story. I haven't seen the entire movie. Only the Skin Scene! ;D ;D ;D
There's something to learn everyday

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jul 09, 2002 at 07:49 AM »
Yes they are the same. Her name was change around 97 as it conflict another HK personality in the entertainment field.

As for Iron Sister, thanks for bringing that one up. It was her film debut but not produced in Hong Kong but from taiwan.

Anyway here are the others (corrections from my recent previous post):

- Viva Erotica it is also a CAT III rating (Highly recommended film! - praised by HK Film reviewers and the cornerstone why Shu Qi was raised a bar level to superstar status)
- Fruit is Swelling (But she only played a cameo role) also a CAT II
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2002 at 07:56 AM by xage »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 08:40 AM »
New HK DVD release this week

Title :  Woman From Mans

Actor:  Ekin Cheng, Michael Fitzgerald Wong, Cheung Tat Ming, Shu Qi
Director:  Andrew Lau, Yip Wai Man
Screenplay: Manfred Wong
Movie Grade: IIA

Category: Comedy
Language:  Cantonese, Mandarin
Subtitle: Chinese(Traditional), English, Chinese(Simplified)
System Format: NTSC  
Area Code: ALL

Sound Effect:  Dolby Surround 5.1

Distributor:  Universe Laser & Video Co Ltd

WWF COLLECTOR

« Reply #65 on: Jul 18, 2002 at 09:52 PM »
How about Japanese Wrestling DVDs? :)

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jul 21, 2002 at 03:38 AM »
hi xage,

ive just seen my R1 copy of audition (courtesy of pareng benny ;)) , and id like to thank you for the very nice recommendation. this film was just so totally awesome, and totally *ugh* , you know what i mean  :o

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Aug 02, 2002 at 09:07 AM »
You are welcome Paltik, it gives me a creep until now Especially whenever I am going on dates.

Anyway, Good to hear you ahev the R1 copy, It is far and  mean Far more better than its R3 and R2 Counterparts

Offline himura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • D'oh!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 11:29 AM »
Is it true that the Jacky Chan movie, The Accidental Spy will be available in R1?

I think I read about it somewhere but I just can't remember where...

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 11:48 AM »
I might be wrong. But Hollywood will surely show this movie first on theater before releasing it on R1 DVD.

Offline dazed

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 12:47 PM »
finally catching up on some asian dvds i missed, cus they lowered the prices of the discs locally (usual summer sale).

just picked up the R3 versions of Battle Royale and Brother (Japanese flicks, both with DTS soundtracks, as previously reviewed by xage) and Barking Dogs Never Bite (korean film) at 3 for hk$ 95 (roughly 200 pesos/disc). most of the previous films xage reviewed are also priced the same.

the more popular ones i still don't have (Storm Riders, Fulltime Killer, Running out of Time) are a bit more expensive, around hk$50-60 (300-400 pesos).

kung may kilala kayong pupunta dito, magpabili na kayo :)

xage (or anybody else), any good suggestions for japanese/korean films? still on my list:

waterboys (japan)
il mare and my sassy girl (korean chick flicks)
Audio: Cayin MT-45 mkii|B&W 602s2|Gramovox TT
HT: Denon X4200W|B&W 683s2, HTM Matrix, 601s2, GE 525

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 01:22 PM »

Is it true that the Jacky Chan movie, The Accidental Spy will be available in R1?

Read that too...also forgot where I read it. :-\

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 01:36 PM »

xage (or anybody else), any good suggestions for japanese/korean films? still on my list:

Japanese ( I do not have it yet but sure wud buy in the coming weeks)

1. VERSUS - I Hope this is released in SouthEast Asia now
2. Kairo - Cool horror flick about webcams/internet
3. ITCHI the KILLER - from Dir. Miike

Korean:

1. I heard Shiri is a great film
2. Memento Mori also

Offline dazed

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re:Brother
« Reply #73 on: Aug 09, 2002 at 12:47 PM »

BROTHER

Running Time 113 Minutes

My Note:

Excellent DTS soundtrack for a bulelt ballet style Japan drama/action film. Although no amount of extras to be seen, this DVD is highlighted by a great menu matching it with violent short scenes.

Around 10$ (including shipping) a sure bargain price for a such a good film (In my view). Recommended for "Beat" Takeshi fans and those who love Gangster films (I mean like Yakuza/Cholos[mexicans]/Blacks/Mafia)

you're right about the dts soundtrack. excellent dvd, more than makes up for my fiasco with the touch a few nights ago.

thanks for the suggestions! not too keen on the asian horror genre (with long haired women whose face you can't see coming out of mirrors, and ghosts hopping like kangaroos) although i'm willing to give the ring a try. i think i've seen VS but i'm not too sure. will let you know if i find it.

Shiri was a blockbuster hit in korea a couple of years back, and the dvd doesn't disappoint. DTS soundtrack gives it justice, along with the not-so-common plot twists. j.s.a. is also good, along the same lines as shiri.

will look into memento mori but it seems to be another horror/suspense flick. have you seen my wife is a gangster? the dvd's been out for some time. action comedy with awesome knife/fight sequences. korea's definitely pumping out some of the better movies recently.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Aug 09, 2002 at 10:12 PM »
great thread! :D
i just rented out brother in my netflix account based on this threads review

id also recommend

great story and well paced...i think this is an adoptation of the italian film "bicycle thief". though there is no english dub, the film is well acted enough that i can even follow the movie even without reading the english subtitles.

bently
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2002 at 10:13 PM by bently »
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline dazed

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Aug 10, 2002 at 10:41 AM »
ditto on beijing bicycle bently! story was fluid, and the shots of the narrow alleys and hutongs of suburban beijing can't be any more real.

weather's crap, so i skipped the usual friday nite-out and immersed myself in hk film's forte, brainless action flicks.

started off with china strike force

it doesn't disappoint, if you take it for what it is. aaron kwok's still too much of a pretty boy to be a credible action star for me, but some of the stunts are really good (bordering on yeah right, that's possible). noriko fujiwara is a definite hottie (with a nice striptease scene  :o) . the disc features dts tracks, but i've heard better. best watched in the original mandarin, as the cantonese soundtrack felt slightly off. and to add to the cool factor, coolio's in it.

double tap

another no brainer with some good scenes, with leslie cheung as a baddie.

there's a dts version of this dvd, although i only saw the DD one. The DD track could use a little oomph, with some of the action sequences sounding a bit subdued. made good use of directional sound though, making me turn around every once in a while thinking i was being shot at  ;D

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Aug 12, 2002 at 05:44 AM »

I might be wrong. But Hollywood will surely show this movie first on theater before releasing it on R1 DVD.

And... I was wrong!!! :-[ They would be releasing Accidental Spy in the US on Aug. 13.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Aug 12, 2002 at 07:16 AM »
To ALL!!

Do not buy ICHI THE KILLER by Universe ( The region all HK DVD)

Why - 30mins were removed in comparison from its original theatrical release in Japan. From NC-17 it was dowgraded into PG-13

It maybe spoilers but pls take note of the brutal cuts done

Again not recommended for purchase

*The scene where the woman beater beats the prostitute and has sex with her is cut slightly.

*Long saying "It's as gross as ever. Who is this Ichi?" when he slips in the room where Anjo's dead body lays.

*The syndicate boss making an entrance when the Anjo Clan was in the room where their boss disappeared is missing (I can't find a good reason why they cut the scene except for time constraint).

*Suzuki's torture session (The shots of his hooked back are gone. After 1st insertion of needle, it cuts Kakihara slowly making twisting motions with the needle in cheek. The 2nd needle assertion is missing the shot of the needle slowly piercing through his mouth and the removal of the 2nd needle that is followed by pints of blood.

*The boiling water scalding Suzuki's back and face are completely gone. Kakihara threatening to pierce Suzuki's penis is missing as well.)

*The upclose shot of Kakihara cutting his tongue.

*The other four fingers which Kakihara breaks on the heroin dealer.

*The upclose shot of Inoue's severed face is gone.

*When Ichi cuts the woman beater in half, the scene of his guts falling out is gone, but you can still hear the sound effects of it.

*All three victims who pops a massive blood fountain blasts from the neck are cut by at least 7-8 seconds each (Each one you can only see for about half a second now, excluding Kaneko's).

*Jijii slapping sense into Ichi when Ichi declares that he wanted to rape Tachibana instead of save her.

*Exchange between Karen and Kakihara during the face pulling with a shot of the bar owner screaming is compeltely gone.

*The face slowly oozing down the wall is cut by 2 or 3 seconds.
Kakihara walking through the office of corpses and picking up some large intestines to show Kaneko.

*Kaneko's encounter with Ichi and the whole ramen noodle scene with the flashbacks is completely gone (Kaneko's character development is put to 0 in this version!)

*The infamous nipple cut torture scene is buhbye as well as some following shots (including Jiro slamming the razor on the table in fury).

*The exchange between Takayama and Kaneko outside the room during the torture session.

*Kaneko kicking Miyu Miyu to death.

*The shot of Long's pierced face is gone.

*Jiro's funny attempt to recreate Takayama's death on Long.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Aug 12, 2002 at 09:07 AM »

I guess youre right

http://ecurrent.com/art/video0802.php

Week of Tuesday, August 13
The Accidental Spy

Well I would ratehr recommend the Universe HK DVD than this region 1... Believe most HK films re-released in US are brutally toned downed by about 30 mins and does not invlude any behind-the scenes footage

Offline himura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • D'oh!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Aug 12, 2002 at 11:16 AM »

To ALL!!

Why - 30mins were removed in comparison from its original theatrical release in Japan. From NC-17 it was dowgraded into PG-13

*The scene where the woman beater beats the prostitute and has sex with her is cut slightly.

*Long saying "It's as gross as ever. Who is this Ichi?" when he slips in the room where Anjo's dead body lays.

*The syndicate boss making an entrance when the Anjo Clan was in the room where their boss disappeared is missing (I can't find a good reason why they cut the scene except for time constraint).

*Suzuki's torture session (The shots of his hooked back are gone. After 1st insertion of needle, it cuts Kakihara slowly making twisting motions with the needle in cheek. The 2nd needle assertion is missing the shot of the needle slowly piercing through his mouth and the removal of the 2nd needle that is followed by pints of blood.

*The boiling water scalding Suzuki's back and face are completely gone. Kakihara threatening to pierce Suzuki's penis is missing as well.)

*When Ichi cuts the woman beater in half, the scene of his guts falling out is gone, but you can still hear the sound effects of it.

*All three victims who pops a massive blood fountain blasts from the neck are cut by at least 7-8 seconds each (Each one you can only see for about half a second now, excluding Kaneko's).

*Jijii slapping sense into Ichi when Ichi declares that he wanted to rape Tachibana instead of save her.

*Exchange between Karen and Kakihara during the face pulling with a shot of the bar owner screaming is compeltely gone.

Kakihara walking through the office of corpses and picking up some large intestines to show Kaneko.

*Kaneko's encounter with Ichi and the whole ramen noodle scene with the flashbacks is completely gone (Kaneko's character development is put to 0 in this version!)

*The infamous nipple cut torture scene is buhbye as well as some following shots (including Jiro slamming the razor on the table in fury).

*The exchange between Takayama and Kaneko outside the room during the torture session.

Urk!!!  :P

This movie (Ichi the Killer) sounds like a real gory and nasty one... Seems like it's even nastier than some of the HK flicks I've seen on LD before such as The Untold Story and the uncut version on Rikki-Oh...  :-\

Gotta admit, it sounds interesting though - could anybody give a few sites where I can find more info about the film?

Another thing - I heard that the Once Upon in China series is coming out on a DVD boxed set. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks!!

Offline siriusblack

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Aug 12, 2002 at 11:49 AM »

I guess youre right

http://ecurrent.com/art/video0802.php

Week of Tuesday, August 13
The Accidental Spy

Well I would ratehr recommend the Universe HK DVD than this region 1... Believe most HK films re-released in US are brutally toned downed by about 30 mins and does not invlude any behind-the scenes footage

you are right there xage, about 21 minutes of footage have been removed for the region 1 version, included in the cut is the part of the storyline wherein the terrorist group were developing a new form of (anthrax  ???) virus.
Lord, help me prove that winning the lottery won't spoil me !!

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Aug 15, 2002 at 04:42 PM »

Urk!!!  :P

This movie (Ichi the Killer) sounds like a real gory and nasty one... Seems like it's even nastier than some of the HK flicks I've seen on LD before such as The Untold Story and the uncut version on Rikki-Oh...  :-\

Dante,

I suggest watching The Audition first before seeing Ichi the killer.

As far as gore is concern,  Rikki-Oh is the the best far out blood and guts ....

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
heard of Whasango??
« Reply #82 on: Aug 20, 2002 at 08:23 AM »
Ever heard of?

WHASANGO[/size]
aka VOLCANO HIGH[/b]

I admit, I am currently on a hunt for this Korean ala Anime Film/DVD...

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Aug 20, 2002 at 08:29 AM »
Would you like to post a sypnosis or review about this film? I'm also looking for live action/ anime type. I bought a japanese movie entitled I.K.U but it was a bomb. Better luck next time eh.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Aug 20, 2002 at 08:37 AM »
Would you like to post a sypnosis or review about this film? I'm also looking for live action/ anime type. I bought a japanese movie entitled I.K.U but it was a bomb. Better luck next time eh.

Well, I guess the one I am searchin is not a bomb

Another one is Storm Riders.. HK blockbuster with Cool Effects (have two versions of it)

or darker style would be

VERSUS - A japanese action film that combines martial arts/gun fight/swordplay and cool zombies

Offline dazed

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Aug 20, 2002 at 09:57 AM »
hi xage! volcano high only opens end of the month here (more than half a year after the korean screening), so the hk dvd isn't out yet. judging from the current trend, it'll probably be released locally by october.

one review over at http://www.koreanfilm.org/kfilm01.html

barrid, check out avalon (jap/polish). galeng ng pagkagawa. the story isn't that easy to get into, but i wasn't disappointed.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Aug 21, 2002 at 07:07 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, dazed. I did enjoyed the movie, Avalon. In fact, I was able to view couple of times na.

Please keep those recommendations coming. I might even ask for your help to buy those for me. Kung puwede? ;D ;D ;D

Offline Papi Chulo

• DVD Addict
  • Dare to be wrong and to dream.
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Aug 21, 2002 at 03:27 PM »
Ichi the killer rocks !!!!  ;D Apparently takashi miike as a kid fantasized about gore etc. and breaking the boundaries of contemporary cinema. I liked audition for it many undelying tones about women and their place in asian society. But Ichi the killer is pure fun a totally different page. Sarap to watch with a totally new approach with the mtv style editing ala guy ritchie and the fast paced demented gangster type action that i totally learned to love. If you guys loved audition please check Miike's other movie that is also critically acclaimed named Visitor Q .  ;D

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Aug 21, 2002 at 08:19 PM »
Swank..

Sad to hear, you got the first Killed released version

Check my comments (quote below).. I guess Ichi killed you without knowing it..

But nevertheless you mentioned Visitor Q.. I can't wait for it.. I heard that its like the SImpsons only much more Darker....

To ALL!!

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Aug 21, 2002 at 10:57 PM »
i just saw the ring at apple.com trailers. is this the same one i keep hearing about or a remake?  ???