Author Topic: What would you get if you have P50k budget?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline upinsmoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What would you get if you have P50k budget?
« on: Jun 22, 2005 at 07:22 PM »
I need a setup that has:

- DVD player with progressive scan, DVI, digital audio out, 6.1 out.
- 6.1 audio receiver with digital audio in, can decode DTS, Dolby 5.1, Dolby ES, Dolby EX.
- 6 speakers and a powered subwoofer.

Budget is P50k.  Do you think it's possible?

Offline sayad5

• Collector
  • sweet!
  • Liked:
Re: What would you get if you have P50k budget?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2005 at 09:09 PM »
pwedeng-pwede

yamaha rx-v450 + nsp-436 + pioneer 676a (wala nga lang dvi) pero pasok sa budget yung sobrang money pambili ng wires, connectors (rca, coaxial,optical) o kaya speaker stand

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/nsp436.html

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv450.html

www.pioneer.com.sg

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2005 at 11:08 PM »
Entry level receiver - HK,Denon,Yamaha,Marantz,Onkyo,NAD etc
Speaker - Usher, A Cantus,Wharfedale etc

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2005 at 10:24 AM »
Are you using an EDTV or HDTV display with DVI input terminal?

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 07:09 AM »
My DLP is HDTV ready with DVI input.  I went to Greenbelt again and I think I'm gonna go with the Yamaha RX450 and JBL SCS260.6 speakers.

The JBL speakers are 6 speakers, 100 watts each, and a 100 watts sub.  It's also P24k, it cost nearly P8k more than the Yamaha NS-P436.  I wonder If it's worth that extra money?

AVANT has a sale.  For P45k, you get the JBL speakers and the Harmon/Kardon AVR-230 receivers.  I wonder how good the H/K is?  It says on the specs it can do 6X50 watts.  The Yamaha RX450 can do 6X125 watts.  Then why does the H/K cost P10k more?

the hk is conservatively rated. it can indeed do 6x50 (headroom not included). the yamaha is probably 20+ wpc (max) if rated the same way.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2005 at 07:18 AM by bumblebee »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 02:26 PM »
Yup, the HK is conservatively rated.  Don't swallow everything you see or read on those ads and product brochures.

For an easier if not better evaluation, check out the back panel of both receivers and look at the electric power consumption.  Check if the total audio output power claimed per channel adds up nicely with the input power.  It should actually be less than the electric power consumption. One immutable law of physics is:  you can't give more than what you took in.   In class AB amps in virtually every HT receiver, almost half the input electric power is wasted as heat and the remaining is the one that results in the output power. 

So for a 6 x 125watt gear, the electric consumption should be in excess of 1,000 watts.  Does the yamaha gear have that electric consumotion rating?

Also, if your display has DVI input and you want to make use of that, I can recommend the Denon 2910 and higher, but at 40T plus receiver and speakers, you'd be stepping out of your budget already.  I think there's a Samsung and Panasonic models with DVI but they'd easily eat about half your budget.   I have yet to see a DVD player with 6.1 out.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2005 at 02:37 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 12:58 PM »
My DLP is HDTV ready with DVI input.  I went to Greenbelt again and I think I'm gonna go with the Yamaha RX450 and JBL SCS260.6 speakers.

The JBL speakers are 6 speakers, 100 watts each, and a 100 watts sub.  It's also P24k, it cost nearly P8k more than the Yamaha NS-P436.  I wonder If it's worth that extra money?

I set up a 2 HT systems for my wife's friend this year. And I also specified JBL scs260.6 & Yammy 450 for her game room . Bagay na bagay with her Samsung plasma! The JBL was one of the best sounding compact satellite speakers in the local market for its price. The bass of the subwoofer was also surprisingly good. If you are more into HT then this setup is ok.

But if you like to listen to music a lot, a good suggestion is to go for good bookshelf speakers & subs. I also set up a Bookshelf speaker system in her bedroom along with her 55" DLP TV, the one with stand (drool!) and even their amateur ears can discern the big difference. They (her & d barkada) even thanked me cuz they sounded so professional daw when they sing with their Magic Sing Karaoke  ;D.

I also saw a DVI player on sale at Anson's Galleria for 13k. It was the old Samsung HD 938 that was sold last year for 19.5k. Its got faroudja DCDi too & sacd capability.