Author Topic: The Big Red One - The Reconstruction  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Big Red One - The Reconstruction
« on: Jun 24, 2005 at 05:49 PM »
Has anyone bought this title? it retails P695, i havn't seen this film yet, review naman po.

i'm a great fan of WWII movies

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2005 at 05:57 PM by Dowals »
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: The Big Red One - The Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2005 at 01:40 PM »
Same curiosity here.  I thought it was part of the warner sale and would have gotten one if not for the P695 price.  I'll see if i can research this title in one of the DVD review sites.  Had it been priced at P350, it would have been a no-brainer to get it.

Here are some comments on the film at

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080437/usercomments

Rotten Tomatoes rates this film highly, at 90% fresh.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/big_red_one/

Here's another nice read from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007TKNLA/qid=1119858588/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/103-3580847-7756658?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

P695 seemes cheap compared with the Amazon discounted price for the 2-disc reconstructed version.  Most reviews hail this film on DVD as a great companion and predescesor to Speilberg's Saving PRivate Ryan, with more meat to the character development and script where SPR has more visual realism and authenticity.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2005 at 03:56 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2005 at 06:01 PM »
I got the R1 version.  I thought wlang R3. :-[ sayang.  Well it has a positive feedback. maganda raw. :)

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2005 at 05:37 PM »
thanks for th info sir av

sir baby, have you seen it? how would you rate the story?

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2005 at 05:59 PM »
thanks for th info sir av

sir baby, have you seen it? how would you rate the story?
Not yet bro.  I saw one at astro waltermart and with slipcase.  the r1 have no slip case :(

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2005 at 06:13 PM »
thanks been wanting to buy it, kaya lang pag sale na lang  :D

i hope i don't get disappointed  ;)

Offline riverfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2005 at 01:23 AM »
San pa po meron nito besides Waltermart? ive been to glorietta area, and all ive seen are vcds priced at 195.

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2005 at 09:26 PM »
San pa po meron nito besides Waltermart? ive been to glorietta area, and all ive seen are vcds priced at 195.

Saw two copies earlier at Astroplus Podium

As for the DVD itself I am very happy with this purchase. I am one of the few people who watched it as a kid in 1980 when it first came out and have some fond memories of it.

But this is NOT the movie that came out in 1980 (that surprisingly shows up in the top ten lists of best WWII movies ever made like those in Premiere and EW mags), instead it is a RECONSTRUCTION (or approximation) of what the writer/director might have wanted to do originally.

Critically acclaimed film director Samuel Fuller spent decades developing his dream project about his experiences in the Army's First Infantry Division during World War II, but it wasn't until 1979 that he was able to finally bring the picture before the cameras. Unfortunately, Fuller was forced by his producers to work with a scaled-down budget, and he did not have final cut on the film; after his first rough cut ran nearly four-and-a-half hours, Lorimar studios took over editing on the project, and Fuller was vocally unhappy with the final results.

Working with Fuller’s script and notes and surviving footage,Richard Schickel (the "Time" magazine film critic) in 2003 assembled a version that’s 45 minutes longer and considerably richer. The 113-minute theatrical version has now been expanded to 158 minutes.

For you movie film fans you will notice a lot of similarities between the the D-Day landing scenes in this movie and those of Saving Private Ryan. Steven Spielberg even acknowledged this movie as one of his inspirations.

The sound is much improved (i recommend you watch the restoration documentary to see how improved) and the digitally cleaned up picture is much better than how i remembered it.

Disc 2 is loaded with interesting bonus features:
  • The Real Glory: Reconstructing "The Big Red One" (47 min.) This contains not only details of the restoration and reconstruction, but an old interview with Fuller and recent interviews with half a dozen of the actors who were young when they made the movie.
  • The Men Who Made the Movies: Samuel Fuller (55 min.) a 55-minute Turner Classic Movies documentary on the career of filmmaker Samuel Fuller
  • Anatomy of a Scene (6 segments totaling 18 min.)
  • Alternate Scenes (18 scenes totaling 32 min.) With commentary by Bryan McKenzie, the film editor for the reconstructed version, and Brian Hamblin, post-production supervisor.

• War Department Film: "The Fighting First" (12 min.)
  • 1980 Promo Reel (30 min.)the recently discovered promo materials from which most of the new footage in the reconstruction was taken
  • Theatrical Trailers (3)
  • Stills Gallery
  • Radio Spots (2)
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2005 at 01:15 PM by THX1138 »

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 07:58 AM »

But this is NOT the movie that came out in 1980 (that surprisingly shows up in the top ten lists of best WWII movies ever made like those in Premiere and EW mags), instead it is a RECONSTRUCTION (or approximation) of what the writer/director might have wanted to do originally.

this is the extended version of the original 1980 film?  are the action sequences inferior to Saving Private Ryan?

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 08:24 AM »
I haven't seen The Reconstruction though I've seen the initial release many times. I'm a big Fuller fan so I'll say that this is a perfect culmination of his career as a director (his subsequent works after this film however, were not as good as his early works). The Big Red One is autobiographic in nature for Fuller served with the 1st Infantry (hence, the Big Red One) during WW2.

It may not be as gory as Private Ryan, but I think it maybe one of the quintessential war fllms that came out.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 10:30 AM »
I haven't seen this reconstruction and am still waiting for the price to go down.  But I've read some net reviews that says the fighting is nowhere as good as in SPR.  More like Green Beret style and other pre-SPR war films.  It can be unfair comparing it to SPR which admittedly raised the bar for war films becoming the de facto standard in the genre.  CGI wasn't there when The Big Red One was made.   ;D

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 01:41 PM »
this is the extended version of the original 1980 film?  are the action sequences inferior to Saving Private Ryan?

Yes dont expect a SPR.

Fuller suffered from a smaller budget imposed by the studio so he had to make do with what he had. The film was shot in Israel which makes up for a lot of things. But the strength of the movie is not in the action sequences (some of which are quite good despite the budget, e.g. the platoon's rescue by French legionnaires on horseback) but in the characters who were very well developed for an action movie. Lee Marvin's preformance is supposedly one of his best as The Sargeant.

The D-Day sequence though (despite a lack of gore and scale like SPR) looks very similar (e.g. the shots of the wristwatch of the dead soldier ticking away the minutes of the landing, the bangolore torpedo sequence to break the fence, etc).
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2005 at 03:48 PM by THX1138 »

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 02:56 PM »
I'm very excited to get a copy, will they include this in the next sale?  ???

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 10:00 AM »
I got a copy of this last night in the video section of SM megamall for P299

will check it this weekend  ;D

Offline vnO

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 10:27 AM »

is it the  one in keepcase with slipcase? I'm not sure if the same title was originally released in digipack.  Would you know?  Thanks!

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 10:33 AM »
is it the  one in keepcase with slipcase? I'm not sure if the same title was originally released in digipack.  Would you know?  Thanks!

The one i got was in keepcase w/ slipcase, which i have been eyeing for months na, till they dropped the price to P299.

Havn't seen a digipak version anywhere   
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2005 at 10:35 AM by Dowals »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 10:56 AM »
I didn't notice they've brought this down to 299.  Will check it out this weekend. 

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 11:53 AM »

thanks for info, sir wally :)......sabi dito sa cebu di daw kasama 'to sa recent price drop :(......, tsk tsk, mabalikan nga ang astro...... 8)

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 06:08 PM »

thanks for info, sir wally :)......sabi dito sa cebu di daw kasama 'to sa recent price drop :(......, tsk tsk, mabalikan nga ang astro...... 8)

no problem sir leo. if it helps, i called astro podium to confirm, it's P299.  out of stock nga lang. 
good luck!
 ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2005 at 08:57 AM by Dowals »

Offline art00

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 09:54 AM »
thanks for info, sir wally  :) ......sabi dito sa cebu di daw kasama 'to sa recent price drop  :(......, tsk tsk, mabalikan nga ang astro......  8)

Classicman:

Bai, I will confirm that this is available at AstroPlus-Sm City @ P299.  I know because I got a copy on Oct 15 (last Saturday).  Wa pa nako matan-aw ang movie pero morag nindot man ang special features sa Disc 2.

art00
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2005 at 09:56 AM by art00 »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2005 at 10:22 PM »
Classicman:

Bai, I will confirm that this is available at AstroPlus-Sm City @ P299.  I know because I got a copy on Oct 15 (last Saturday).  Wa pa nako matan-aw ang movie pero morag nindot man ang special features sa Disc 2.

art00

daghan salamat, bai.....i was there about lunch time in order to pick up sana the copy that i have reserved over the phone but they couldn't find it ::) although it's encoded in their PC that 1 copy is still available :(.....good thing that astro ayala center still has a copy & they have reserved it for me daw 8)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 09:41 PM »
finally, i was able to get hold a copy of this title at its SALE price of Php299.00 only....... 8)

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2005 at 08:06 AM »
I was able to check my copy last weekend, PQ was great, rich colors and never saw pixelations.  Audio was DD 5.1.  Was first time to see this movie, it runs almost 3 hours. 

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2005 at 03:02 PM »
for those who are looking... there is still one more at SM bicutan. (SM hypermart record bar)  :)

just bought the one of two copies.