Author Topic: NOW SHOWING by Raya Martin at Cannes!  (Read 3867 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NOW SHOWING by Raya Martin at Cannes!
« on: May 11, 2008 at 01:48 AM »

Raya Martin's film in Cannes!

Aside from Brillante "Dante" Mendoza, another Filipino director will be taking part in the 61st Cannes Film Festival, the premier international film festival held annually in Cannes, France. Twenty-three year-old Raya Martin has been chosen to compete in the 40th Directors' Fortnight for his film titled Now Showing.

This parallel section of Cannes showcases new and little-known directors from around the world. Since 1968, it has since launched the international careers of directors such as Werner Herzog, Jim Jarmusch, and the late Lino Brocka.

Last year, Dante Mendoza's independent film Foster Child, produced by Seiko Films, was also included in this section. Previous Filipino directors who have graced this section include Lino Brocka for Insiang (1978) and Bona (1981); Mike de Leon for Kisapmata (1981) and Batch '81 (1982); and Mario O'Hara for Babae sa Breakwater (2004).

Only 23, Raya has been reaping international recognition for the past several years. His first feature, Short Film About the Indio Nacional, won several awards in film festivals abroad, while his second film Autohystoria won the Lino Award Grand Prize and Best Director in Cinemanila International Film Festival last year. Raya is also the first Filipino to be granted the Fond Sud by the French government for his new film currently in development, Independencia.

Running at 4 hours 40 minutes, Now Showing is a coming-of-age narrative set in downtown Manila. A young girl's story is told in a documentary manner and series of found footage. In between, clips from the 1960's Filipino classic film Tunay na Ina is shown.

The film project received the Hubert Bals Grant at the Cinemanila Boracay Co-Production Meeting in 2005. Post-production is supported by Ignite Media, Inc.

Behind the film is the 27-year-old producer Arleen Cuevas. Her last project Amazing Truth about Queen Raquela won Best Film at the Teddy Awards in this year's Berlin International Film Festival. Arleen has also collaborated with director Adolf Alix, Jr. on several films including Batanes and Tambolista.

Now Showing stars theater actresses Ness Roque, Adriana Agcaoili, Meila Romero, Daisy Carino, and Via Antonio.

Ness, who plays the lead role, is a 16-year-old theater actress currently taking up Filipino Literature at the Ateneo de Manila University. Upon learning that the film was selected in this year's Cannes, she said, "I am thrilled! When Raya called and told me that we're going to Cannes, I asked him to stop and let me breathe. Hindi ako makahinga!"

Raya looks forward to premiering in the prestigious film festival. "Excited ako ipalabas yung film dun. It's an unusual film."

The Film Development Council of the Philippines gives support through a travel grant, enabling the production staff to attend the premiere in Cannes Film Festival, in cooperation with the Department of Foreign Affairs, the French Embassy in the Philippines.

Congrats......Raya!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 at 06:30 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: NOW SHOWING by Raya Martin at Cannes!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008 at 02:11 AM »
French films rule Cannes' Fortnight
Twelve of the 22 pics are Gallic productions
By JOHN HOPEWELL, DAVID HAYHURST:

Josh Safdie’s oddball, South by South West fest player 'The Pleasure of Being Robbed' will close Cannes' 40th Directors' Fortnight selection.

Josh Safdie’s oddball, South by South West fest player “The Pleasure of Being Robbed,” about a happy-go-lucky clepto, will close Cannes’ 40th Directors’ Fortnight selection, announced Friday in Paris.
“Pleasure” is the sole U.S. film in this year’s lineup; there were five American movies last year.

French productions or co-productions reign supreme in the parallel section. There are five films by Gallic helmers; 12 of the 22 titles in the lineup drew French co-production coin, a testament to the country’s drive into producing overseas auteurs.

But U.S. helmers will still make a showing in the section’s 40th anni celebrations and tributes.

Jim Jarmusch, whose U.S. indie milestone debut “Stranger Than Paradise” played in the Fortnight in 1984 and went on to win Cannes’ Camera d’Or, will be on the Croisette on May 18 to pick up the Fortnight’s Carrosse d’Or.

Robert Kramer and John Douglas’ “Milestones,” which played in the Fortnight in 1975, will be rescreened at Cannes.

A product of U.S. militant indie cinema, and generally regarded as one of the best films Kramer ever made — Directors’ Fortnight delegate general Olivier Pere calls it “a masterpiece” — the film also embodies the concerns which explain the creation of the section.

Jarmusch, Todd Haynes, Spike Lee, Sofia Coppola and William Friedkin figure in Olivier Jahn’s “40 x 15,” a docu on the Directors’ Fortnight that screens May 19.

“U.S. film presence varies a lot each year. This time around, new countries’ films simply proved more exciting,” Pere told Daily Variety.

New countries include, most prominently, some in Eastern Europe. There are films from Poland — Jerzy Skolimowski’s opener, “Four Nights With Anna”; Russia, repped by Bakur Bakuradze’s pickpocket drama “Shultes”; Slovakia, which contributes Juraj Lehotsky’s docu “Blind Lovers”; and Romania, with Radu Muntean’s “Boogie.”

Beyond Skolimowski and Muntean, the section features new films from name directors including France’s Claire Simon, with mock documentary “Les Bureaux des Dieu,” about the controversial ease of abortion in France, and “Liverpool,” from Argentina’s Lisandro Alonso, hailed in arthouse circles for his studied, slow-moving minimalism.

As in the Official Competition, Spain and Latin America have a strong presence in the Directors’ Fortnight, with five productions overall.

The 40th Directors’ Fortnight runs May 15-25.

(Patrick Frater, Ali Jaafar and Nick Vivarelli contributed to this report.)

DIRECTORS' FORTNIGHT
“Four Nights With Anna,” France-Poland, Jerzy Skolimowski (opener)
"The Pleasure of Being Robbed,” U.S., Josh Safdie (closer)
“Acne,” Uruguay-Spain-Argentina-Mexico, Federico Veiroj
"Aquele querido mes de agosto," Portugal-France, Miguel Gomes
“Boogie,” Romania, Radu Muntean
“Les Bureaux de Dieu,” France, Claire Simon
“El Cant dels ocells,” Spain, Albert Serra
"De la guerre," France, Bertrand Bonello
"Le Dernier Maquis," France-Algeria, Rabah Ameur-Zaimeche
"Eldorado," Belgium-France, Bouli Lanners
"Eleve libre," Belgium-France, Joachim Lafosse
"Liverpool," Argentina-France-Netherlands-Spain-Germany, Lisandro Alonso
"Monsieur Morimoto," France, Nicola Sornaga
“Knitting,” China, Yin Lichuan
"Now Showing," Philippines-France, Raya Martin
“Il Resto della notte,” Italy, Francesco Munzi
"Salamandra," Argentina-France-Germany, Pablo Aguero
"Shultes," Russia, Bakur Bakuradze
"Blind Loves," Slovakia, Juraj Lehotsky
"Lonely Tune of Tehran," Iran, Saman Salour
“Tony Manero,” Chile-Brazil, Pablo Larrain
"Le Voyage aux Pyrenees," France, Jean-Marie Larrieu, Arnaud Larrieu

More than one option(Film) El Dorado
(Film) Eldorado
Karoly Eperjes, Geza Beremenyi
(Film) Eldorado
1995 - Robert Brouillette, Charles Biname
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008 at 02:14 AM by keating »

Offline rse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008 at 02:24 PM »
I Googled this to get more info about it and later found out that another Pinoy film is showing and it's in the main competition:  Brillante Mendoza's Serbis!  This is really good news for us....!!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 at 02:25 PM by rse »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008 at 06:28 PM »
The film is not competing but its quite a rare feat for Raya Martin to be included on the roster of Director's Fortnight. Go, Raya!

And its not about prostitution!  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008 at 07:54 AM »
Well, see Main Competition is more prestigious, sure, but that's where the conventional narrative films go. Director's Fortnight, some of their entries are really out there. Raya's case in point.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008 at 01:07 PM »
...and the Director's Fortnight is totally independent from the Cannes Film Festival, so Now Showing is still In Competition, just a different competition. That said, congratulations to both filmmakers!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008 at 07:04 PM »
I'm happy for both of them..I heard that Raya is still quite young.  What a talent!!  I've only seen one of his movies, Maicling Pelikula.., it's a visual masterpiece.  Although I want to see him do a narrative story (he might have already done one but I haven't seen any of them yet).   The other guy, I've only seen his Kaleldo.  I liked it.   It's also very visually well-made.  The same with Raya, I think that he still needs to develop his narrative skills.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008 at 02:48 AM »
Heads up! Pre-Cannes screening on May 15, Thursday 5pm at Mogwai in Cubao.

Seating is limited to theatre capacity.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 08:06 PM »
Heads up!

Philippine Premiere on June 12 Thursday at 7pm, Shangrila Cinema as part of tribute to Philippine Cinema- French Film Festival.

Offline pink moon

• Collector
  • Impetuous! Homeric!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 09:41 PM »
How much is the ticket for this? Or is it free admission? Or is it exclusive for VIPs only?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2008 at 03:22 PM »
Its open to the public but I'm not really sure for the ticket price but before the screenings for French Film Fest are free.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2008 at 02:33 PM »
I've my reservations--I'll post more on it later--but I've to say this is Raya's most poignant work.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2008 at 02:35 PM »
I've my reservations--I'll post more on it later--but I've to say this is Raya's most poignant work.

Can't wait to read your thoughts, Ramon...

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 12:33 AM »

Agree, RMN. And the acting, I thought, was almost flawless.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 10:10 AM »
Agree, RMN. And the acting, I thought, was almost flawless.

You got to watch it at Shang, X44? Did you see Serbis too? How was it?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 12:37 PM »
You got to watch it at Shang, X44? Did you see Serbis too? How was it?

Yup watched it at Shang, oggs - - - liked it (the bit with the dragonfly, the radio show, the kanto drunks and that last shot when the music comes in are some of my favorite sequences) and the ongoing "show" among the mostly befuddled audience was almost as funny/entertaining - - - but Serbis got pulled out at the last minute , apparently the MTRCB hadn't given it a rating yet by the time of the screening, which was a bit of a bummer.  They're showing it again , I think, and allegedly mutilated  - - - not so sure exactly when, though.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM by X44 »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 04:09 PM »
Now Showing by Raya Martin

As the screening of Now Showing drew to an end, and while I was gathering my thoughts on the film with the credits rolling, two persistent question kept on bugging me: Did it have to be five hours long? Would it have been less of a film if it were shorter? 

In  Autohystoria, his previous work, I was of the feeling that we were being taken for a ride, literally and figuratively, for all of two hours. That night scene in Monumento in particular—the one with the cab going around and around the rotunda in the dark  to almost no end—bordred on the excruciating. He was clearly taking the path paved by Lav Diaz before him, for good or for bad, so much so that when my friend asked me how I found it my simple reply was : “Lav Diaz.” (But mind you: I sat through Batang West Side and Ebolusyon and liked em both)

During the early parts of Now Showing, I must admit that the same feelings that I had when I saw Autohystoria—the excruciation, the sense that this is all but a crazy game—started to creep in, and these were probably the very same things that some of the audiences who walked out must’ve felt. I dozed off; and in between I played a video game on my mobile phone which  I rarely ever do. Blame it on the grainy, home movie quality of the footage and the tedious pace. But then, slowly but surely, the film started to pick-up and, as the saying goes, good things do come to those who wait. 

Like a slow cooking stew that takes time and patience to prepare before one can savor its flavour, one appreciates the beauty of Now Showing ever so slowly. The acting, for one, was  flawless and very natural: you resonate with the characters and feel their anguish and pain; you laugh along with them when comic relief comes—and just at the right moment. The story is almost lyrical, an elegy to days long gone and the passing of youth and innocence. At the same time, one can also say that it is  an elegy to the cinema of yore: black and white giving way to color,  film giving way to digital, the proliferation of dvds (pirated or otherwise) and the passing of many of the great films stars of yesteryears.

While I think that indie cinema takes itself too seriously nowadays,, what with all these heavily-themed films coming out, (where are the pop corn flicks? the escapist fare?)  I will also say that Now Showing has to be Raya’s most poignant and most personal piece yet.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2008 at 02:06 PM by RMN »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 05:04 PM »
I missed it for the second time around. The first time caught only a glimpse at Mogwai but promised Raya to catch it in one sitting next time at Cinemanila. I envy those who have watched it already.

SERBIS might have its uncut exhibition next month at Cinemalaya.

NOW SHOWING should reach more and more audience.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2008 at 05:16 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 06:51 PM »
Heads up, screening sked at U.P. Film Center:

Sep 25, Thursday- 5pm

Sep 27, Saturday- 2pm

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 10:30 PM »
Just posted my humble thoughts on this movie:

http://dextermejia.blogspot.com/