Author Topic: Nasaan Ka Man flops  (Read 6434 times)

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nasaan Ka Man flops
« on: Jun 30, 2005 at 11:58 AM »
The over-hyped Star Cinema movie was eaten alive by Batman Begins. For the June 16 to 19 period, Nasaan Ka Man made only P11.2 million

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
Re: Nasaan Ka Man flops
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2005 at 12:21 AM »
"Say That You Love Me" only made a little over 5 Million at one week lang tinagal sa maraming theaters.  Kaya sobrang Flop yun compare sa "Nasaan ka Man" kung totoong nga na 11 Million lang kinita nito.  11 Million is not naman flop sa standard ng Pinoy Cinema.  At matagal na ito sa mga theaters, meaning pinapasok pa rin ito.

;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2005 at 06:40 PM »
This was actually already released on DVD/VCD today. Is that the fastest playdate-to-video release ever?

The DVD claims to be the "Uncut Version"... I was thinking... what the heck would they have cut in the first place?
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2005 at 09:24 PM »
Pero nakita ko trailer nito impressive talaga ang pag-kagawa.  Pero hindi ko napanood, dami kasing kasabayan na mga magagandang movies.  Im still planing to see it maganda ang naririnig ko tungkol sa movie na ito in relation to it being a local produced movie.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2005 at 10:59 AM »
Nasaan Ka Man has two of the biggest ABS-CBN stars as its leads, Jericho and Claudine. These two have a history of huge box-office success behind them BUT despite these factors, their faces and names FAILED to help their new movie.

When it comes to commercial terms, reputations, star power and budget, Nasaan Ka Man is the BIGGEST FLOP around even among Pinoy movies. The movie had big budget values all over it but it does nothing to break new ground or add anything artistic.

Nasaan Ka Man is the LOSER.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2005 at 03:02 PM »
Nasaan Ka Man has two of the biggest ABS-CBN stars as its leads, Jericho and Claudine. These two have a history of huge box-office success behind them BUT despite these factors, their faces and names FAILED to help their new movie.

When it comes to commercial terms, reputations, star power and budget, Nasaan Ka Man is the BIGGEST FLOP around even among Pinoy movies. The movie had big budget values all over it but it does nothing to break new ground or add anything artistic.

Nasaan Ka Man is the LOSER.

The local movie industry is the loser I should say.  If Filipinos looks at a movie being a loser based only on financial gains and not because of its quality then that judgement is ultimately the biggest loser of all imho. :)

Film Critics and Film Makers who KNOWS something about film making have a lot of good things to say about the movie, technically and storywise.  I'm more inclined to believe them.

Starzan & Cheetae the movie of Joey deLeon and Rene Requestas made a killing in the box office, maybe thats the kind of movie you consider a winner? lol

Peace.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2005 at 05:17 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline eric_draven

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 09:39 AM »

The local movie industry is the loser I should say.  If Filipinos looks at a movie being a loser based only on financial gains and not because of its quality then that judgement is ultimately the biggest loser of all imho. :)

Film Critics and Film Makers who KNOWS something about film making have a lot of good things to say about the movie, technically and storywise.  I'm more inclined to believe them.

Starzan & Cheetae the movie of Joey deLeon and Rene Requestas made a killing in the box office, maybe thats the kind of movie you consider a winner? lol

Peace.  ;)

I strongly agree. Nasaan Ka Man is a well-crafted film (acting, cinematography, story). The fact that it ran for almost a month in theaters means something. And i think being a LOSER is not it.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 09:59 AM »
Nasaan Ka Man <<< has been ..

it did not gain great word of mouth during on its theatrical run and it was so fast to jump in the home viewing industry

Moving On..

Wait until the right blend comes for local pinoy movies?? nahhh... I dont think so  .. Loser it is, it was and forever.. ( I still stand to now and forever... its Ultimately Impossible to achieve  ;))
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2005 at 10:05 AM by xage »
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 10:34 AM »
Ultimately na, impossible pa.  ::)

Anyway, let's just elevate this topic back to something more intellectual... With Nasaan Ka Man making that swift transition from the big screen to video. Does it mean the local film industry really gets a sizable profit from DVD releases?  Or is this fast transition just a way for Star Cinema to swiftly recoup its investment and thus only peculiar to Nasaan Ka Man's situation?

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 12:21 PM »
The move of Star Cinema to release it at once on video is to fight piracy. And their move was quite good.

The favorable reviews this movie gained was eclipsed because the public was still busy with BATMAN BEGINS.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 06:01 PM »
Nasaan Ka Man - Cholo Laurel

Two spinster sisters, Lilia (Gloria Diaz) and Trining (Hilda Koronel), have adopted three children into their house. The three grew up knowing that they are all adopted and thus, growing some affection for each other. When Joven (Jericho Rosales) and Pilar (Claudine Baretto) announce to the family that they are getting married, they are met with disapproval. Lilia is more worried about what the public would think since the two are siblings. Ito (Diether Ocampo), the eldest of the three adopted siblings, on the other hand is jealous since he also holds a repressed longing for Pilar. Nasaan Ka Man is melodrama in its purest. The stereotypes, the overdramatization, the abundant amount of crying and improbable situations are obvious. Written by Ricky Lee, the plot is confusing, with plot points too many. The result is a mess, a dramatic feature that dabbles in romance, horror, Bergmanesque chamber drama and whatever else Lee can get out of his imagination. Somehow, there are scenes that stand out and which show Lee's talent (which was much more prevalent when he just started rather than now, where his screenplays have turned into mere commodities rather than artistic products), enunciated by newcomer Laurel's careful direction. Laurel started as a director of TV ads and once can see that an admaker's meticulous training has been incorporated in this production. The cinematography is crisp. The production design is wondrous. Even the acting is sufficient to keep the convulated plot afloat. Moreover, Laurel knows how not to rush his story. He knows how to treat the film's settings very well and turn the setting into something that will keep the plot more leveled than it could've been in paper. He utilizes his crisp visuals, his entire crew of talents to the maximum, and therefore, unlike other melodramas from more established directors (like Lamangan), the film feels more genuine, and more artistically sound. It even came to a point that I would've forgiven the plot's convulations and just regard it as an aside instead of the whole, like Douglas Sirk's melodramas. However, Sirk's films has something deeper which is lacking in Nasaan Ka Man, which is in the end, just a plain Cain and Abel story which looks more artistic than it really is. **1/2/*****

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 07:45 AM »
The move of Star Cinema to release it at once on video is to fight piracy. And their move was quite good.

The favorable reviews this movie gained was eclipsed because the public was still busy with BATMAN BEGINS.

i'm really against movies being released on video less than a month after it's theatrical showing. it just makes the moviegoers think that the it would come out on dvd anyway so why spend the money to go to the movies when you could watch it in the comfort of your own home in less than a month? i don't think they are helping in fighting piracy this way. here in the US pirated dvd's are already being sold on the streets the day after a movie is shown. but when these films comes out on dvd it's loaded with extras that will make you want to buy a copy. most of the Tagalog dvd's lack these extras. our dvd's are not well thought of. Star Cinema would include a behind the scenes featurette which has been aired several times on Cinema One. maybe they could add a few more documentaries about the making of the movie made especially for the dvd release. an insightful commentary might help as well.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 04:32 PM »
i'm really against movies being released on video less than a month after it's theatrical showing. it just makes the moviegoers think that the it would come out on dvd anyway so why spend the money to go to the movies when you could watch it in the comfort of your own home in less than a month? i

I was thinking the same thing that's why I asked my question. I just feel that it's more detrimental for a movie in the long run.

Offline marty_mcfly

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 06:40 PM »
Was just wondering why the DVD/VCD of this movie was released last weekend, but when I went to SM South Mall yesterday, it was still showing in one of the SM Cinemas? Is the SM Cinema management aware that it was already released on video?  ???
There is no emotion; there is peace.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 02:57 AM »
I went to Astroplus Megamall to buy the DVD of Nasaan Ka.  Ubos na daw.  Ang bilis naman naubos nito para sa Flop?  Anyway try ko sa Astroplus sa SM North bukas.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 03:24 AM »
i think the main reason why the dvd was released immediately ay dahil matagal nang tapos ung movie. if i wasn't mistaken, slated for march release ata to. and star cinema works on the video release afterwards. a month after matapos sa sinehan, labas na ung video. dahil nga gawa na lahat, nilabas na nila kaagad.

uncut version dahil ata sa mga sexy scenes.

i still think that it was a good movie. i liked it.

http://itsallaboutmovies.blogspot.com/2005/07/on-video-nasaan-ka-man-uncut-version.html
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 04, 2005 at 03:22 AM »
Good thing that I opted for the VCD and not the DVD version and saved me a few bucks.  This movie is just plain awful. Trust me on this...avoid this one.