Author Topic: Tarzan: Special Edition DVD coming this October 18, 2005?  (Read 10502 times)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tarzan: Special Edition DVD coming this October 18, 2005?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 08:24 AM »
i had the same dilemma when news of Toy Story (and Mulan) came out.  it was a difficult decision defining what would please/pleasure me more---keeping the Toy Box for the features (not included in the new release) or get the new release for the new transfer. i ended up keeping the old versions because i want to revisit some old stuff not present in the new release i.e. making features, trailers and short films.  but i appreciate the new release for an updated look of the film.

i have a sealed Tarzan CE but if your statement is a plug-in-disguise, let me know via pm how much are you willing to let go of this CE. im negotiating on behalf of a friend. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2005 at 08:26 AM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 10:12 AM »
After researching around, I decided to just stick with my CE (and besides, I really love the old cover art of the rough Tarzan sketch) :D. By the way, there seems to be some confusion going around right now, as to whether the R1 version is 1-disc or 2-disc. It's only a rumor, but someone on UltimateDisney quoted another review site that got hold of a pre-release copy and claims it's only a single-disc release. If so, that wouldn't make any sense, since the R2 and R3 are double-disc releases.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2005 at 10:16 AM by DVDiva »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 10:23 PM »
perhaps the R1 market would receive two releases of Tarzan and Emperor's New Groove. In that case, the Special Edition line is completely taken out of context.

teaser/trailer says 2- disc while Disney website shows single disc graphics:

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/tarzan/main.html

8)

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2005 at 10:44 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 08:43 PM »
just got my r3 copy of the 2-disc SE bought from the recent podium SALE at Php250.00 (courtesy of duncanfranchise), i would say that it really is a steal at this price & may insert pa sya.....so the cancellation of my r1 copy is now official, ang dami kasing major releases this final quarter na kelangan din bilhin....... 8)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2005 at 12:57 PM »
October 16, 2005 - For months, Disney fans who adopted DVD after Tarzan's Collector's Edition went out of print in 2001, have been anticipating its forthcoming reissue. Unfortunately, Aaron Wallace has a review today of this new Tarzan: Special Edition and extras enthusiasts will be disappointed by the disc. That's no typo -- despite widespread promotion of a 2-disc set (and a presumed repackaging of the acclaimed double platter), this week's re-release contains just one disc and lacks most of the discontinued set's bonuses. There are some new features (a game, a music video, and a hardly-different 5.1 track), but those wanting the whole ball of wax are left wading the uncertain waters of Internet resellers. However, those without Tarzan in their collection and those not savvy on supplements should be satisfied by the flawless feature presentation and the riveting film at its core.

from ultimatedisney.com

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2005 at 12:58 PM »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 17, 2005 at 03:07 PM »
So those who bought the 2-disc CE version for only P250 in the recent sale are quite lucky.  ;D  That version is OOP.  I have mine but I got it when it was still P900.   I think there are still 2-disc CEs at P250 in some Astro outlet.  Better get them while they last. 

I just can't remember the site, but I read Disney won't be reissuing any more titles from now on.  They're busy compiling for the Blu Ray or HD-DVD versions already.  Could be wrong though.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2005 at 03:09 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 17, 2005 at 03:28 PM »
the one sold in the Philippines is the non-region 1, 2-Discs, Special Edition. the CE, or Collector's Edition, is an old release and OOP but contains a wealth of features not found in the new release.

8)

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2005 at 01:31 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 11:56 AM »
the one sold in the Philippines is the non-region 1, 2-Discs, Special Edition. the CE, or Collector's Edition, is an old release and OOP but contains a wealth of features not found on the new release.

8)

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.  So the 2-disc they are selling here is not the CE version. Is this the newer release?  But it's also getting rarer in many shops. 

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 12:34 PM »
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.  So the 2-disc they are selling here is not the CE version. Is this the newer release?  But it's also getting rarer in many shops. 

yup, its the newer release similar to the r2 SE version......so it turned out that i made a pretty good decision in cancelling my order for this recent r1 release in favor of the 2-disc r3 SE that i bought for only Php250.00 8)

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #40 on: Oct 18, 2005 at 02:24 PM »
Oh man! This is bad news...Although I got the R3 2Disc SE in the recent sale, I was looking forward to getting the R1 version to go with my other Disney titles in slipcase. Oh well...life goes on. ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline ryu

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 02:26 PM »
Can anyone finally confirm if this is 2 disk or 1 disk set? May slip case?

Thanks

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 22, 2005 at 03:00 AM »
from other international forums and answers form online stores, it's listed as single disc. you may check this thread:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11670

PARC, maybe you can shed some light...

8)
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2005 at 03:22 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2005 at 02:48 PM »
from other international forums and answers form online stores, it's stated as single disc. you may check this thread:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11670

PARC, maybe you can shed some light...

8)

Yeah, sir PARC can confirm this. Meron na sya stocks e. I inquired on the phone and the lady told me that it was a 2 disc edition. There's still hope. ;)
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 29, 2005 at 06:06 AM »
seen the R3 Tarzan SE (courtesy of duncanfranchise) and i have observed a big improvement in terms of PQ and SQ.

btw, the R3's 2nd disc is a reproduction of the disc 2 of the now OOP Tarzan CE.

8)

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2005 at 07:09 PM by hemisphere1234 »