Author Topic: new home theater  (Read 842 times)

Offline archer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new home theater
« on: Jul 10, 2005 at 06:58 PM »
i am constructing my new home.  the living room is open with an area of about 50 sqm.  the family is about 30 sqm.

i am thinking of putting up 2 zones for my set up.  the living room will be the primary ht room.  the living room may also be fed with video and music from the living room whenever needed.

i plan to pre-wire these areas for the speakers.  what size of speaker do i need?  how big a wire do ineed to use.  maximum distance from source is about 50 meters.

i am looking for suggestions for a reasonable receiver to serve my purpose.  i've been hearing a lot of yamaha, onkyo and harman kardon brands.  which would you prefer and why?

how much budget should i set aside for a reasonable set-up.

thanks in advance for your contributions.

Offline D75C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Sounds good but it makes my coffee bitter.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: new home theater
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 04:56 PM »
Before you start shopping for your speakers and your receiver. Consider the dimensions of your room before you plop down those floorstanders. Bigger speakers requires more amplifier muscle.

Once you've considered the size requirement, start auditioning. Don't just pick one out of the shelf coz it's expensive. Listen to it with your favorite CDs, original if possible. Pirated compilations are from MP3 sources, it just won't do justice to your speaker audition.

If your budget permits a kick-ass Yamaha Z9, why not.  It's okay to buy a receiver with lots of wattage because you it leaves you a lot of headroom. The same goes for the subwoofer, more wattage (almost always) better.

You'd rather have your sub and your receiver laugh out the watts, than cough out the watts, needed by your speakers.
You wonder why it still not good enough after spending P1M.