Author Topic: Subwoofer set-up  (Read 1598 times)

Offline qwcd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Subwoofer set-up
« on: Jul 11, 2005 at 02:42 PM »
Hi,
I would like to ask for advice on how to setup my active subwoofer? My 2 fronts are Bose AM5, my center and rears are Bose too. Isn't it the Bose AM5 has a bass modulator. How would I now setup my active subwoofer? Thanks.

A HAPPY LIFE IS A SIMPLE LIFE

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Subwoofer set-up
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 02:58 PM »
Hi,
I would like to ask for advice on how to setup my active subwoofer? My 2 fronts are Bose AM5, my center and rears are Bose too. Isn't it the Bose AM5 has a bass modulator. How would I now setup my active subwoofer? Thanks.

Connect the sub to the receiver. Have the LFE routed to the Fronts and Sub.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Surround back channel for subwoofer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 08:47 AM »
One good feature of my 6 channel receiver is the option to use the surround back channel to power up a sub. Got a an active sub hooked in the .1 channel of the receiver and had not tried the option until last night.  Played different vocal and instrumental CDs and find the bass more musical and tight, best for most of my acoustic music selections such as the album The Only Fonta by Yongli Chan. For instrumental The bass in Richard Palalay Trio feels real. However, the bass drum on the album Sheffield's Drum and Tracks lacks the power i want despite adjusting down the five channels to almost 0 level while the sub is set to 10 and volume to -20. Overall assessment - Excellent for music except to some pieces that requires extra bass

I havent tested it yet for HT. 

What i have in mind now is to buy a passive sub so i can use this side by side with my active sub. But is this possible?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 10:46 AM »
Hi,

I think the bass module of the am5 is entirely passive and should be connected to the front L and R speaker out of your receiver while the satellite cubes are connected to the L and R out of the bass module.  Just leave that connection as your front speakers.

Then connect the active subwoofer to the LFE or Sub-out terminal of your receiver.  Set the receiver's menu options for sub to ON and set the crossover frequency to whatever suits your fancy. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 10:50 AM »
One good feature of my 6 channel receiver is the option to use the surround back channel to power up a sub. Got a an active sub hooked in the .1 channel of the receiver and had not tried the option until last night.  Played different vocal and instrumental CDs and find the bass more musical and tight, best for most of my acoustic music selections such as the album The Only Fonta by Yongli Chan. For instrumental The bass in Richard Palalay Trio feels real. However, the bass drum on the album Sheffield's Drum and Tracks lacks the power i want despite adjusting down the five channels to almost 0 level while the sub is set to 10 and volume to -20. Overall assessment - Excellent for music except to some pieces that requires extra bass

I havent tested it yet for HT. 

What i have in mind now is to buy a passive sub so i can use this side by side with my active sub. But is this possible?

Almost anything is possible in this hobby.  But why bother if your active sub is already sufficient?
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2005 at 10:50 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 11:39 AM »
Almost anything is possible in this hobby.  But why bother if your active sub is already sufficient?

yeah in this hobby too, enjoyment is not only limited to the listening of the music, but discovering new possibilities for hearing the same in another way.  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 11:59 AM »
Ah ok.  Happy experimenting, then. ;D

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2005 at 03:46 PM »
I tested watching some movies using the Surround Back as my subpower amp -- "Bitin" because it lacks the kick of the big boom, a matter which i cant live without. :-\

ooops! this will be my 1000th post so i want to congratulate myself !!am now a guru --yacks!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2005 at 03:47 PM by jerix »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2005 at 03:47 PM »
Congrats, Sir jerix ;D DVD Guru ka na ;)