Author Topic: DVD - what to choose?  (Read 3459 times)

Offline olrac

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
DVD - what to choose?
« on: Feb 25, 2010 at 08:10 PM »
Hi,

Mga sir newbie po.  Would just like to get your ideas and opinions.  I just bought my plasma tv and would like to enjoy the benefits of investing such.  I have also borrowed my cousin's hdmi player to really appreciate and enjoy the initial spending. 

I see alot of sale dvd's in astrovision, astroplus, odyssey, etc... and would like to know who provides a very good quality in terms of picture and sound.  I was told by the merchandiser that some of the distributors are Magnavision, Warner, Viva and to which they are the ones who provides good quality.

Would just like to ask if you have some recommendations or suggestion on who really provides better quality before I invest in this new found addiction.

Thank you.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DVD - what to choose?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2010 at 08:23 PM »
It really will depend on your preference.  Action, drama, comedy, horror, etc.? 

Read the following thread:

Difference between DVD5 and DVD9:
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=61337.0

Thread on Viva titles to avoid:
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=97865.0

Or do a search on the individual title you wanted and read what others had posted.

Welcome to PinoyDVD.  And do you know that this addiction is like crack, only without the side effect?  Except maybe, that it will drain your wallet faster than you realize.  :D Seriously, have fun with your new gears.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline edgarryan

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2010 at 08:29 PM »
I usually find Warner releases good, that is, in terms of packaging and picture and sound quality.  But it all depends on what you really want.  If you want a specific title, try to look for the best available edition.  For example, The Lord of the Rings has the local C-Interactive theatrical version (double-disc), and the Extended Edition with four discs for each movie.  I would go for the Extended Edition as this provides more extra features and better sound and picture quality since the whole movie is not crammed in just one disc.  Besides, it would look good on your shelf.  Hehehe.

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2010 at 08:42 PM »
Welcome to pinoydvd! This site is the best resource of info about Movies, DVDs and home theater stuff.  You will find a lot of bargain items in the marketplace too.  I suggest that if you are just starting your DVD collection, look around the DVD section of the marketplace but I warn you mabibilis mga tao dito in getting the good titles ;D  Region 1 DVDs have the best quality, make sure though that your player can play them. 
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2010 at 08:53 PM »
Oo nga.  Mabibilis ang mga tao dito sa pagbili ng mga magagandang DVD, parang si ditoy_eagle.  Hehehe.  Parang palaging may reserbang pera.  Hahaha.

Offline ditoy_eagle

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2010 at 09:28 PM »
si edgarryan din isa pa yan, tayo-tayo din haha
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline edgarryan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM »
Namumulubi na nga ako eh.  Hahaha.  Kailangan na mag-loan para makabili pa ng sangkatutak na DVDs.

BTT:  Perhaps you could state here kung ano gusto mong titles, or kung wala ka namang title in particular, yung specifications mo para makapag-suggest ang mga members dito kung ano ang titles and editions na puwede para ma-maximize yung equipment mo.  Marami dito nakakaalam kung ano ang may magandang picture and sound quality.  Check mo rin yung mga forum para makakita ng reviews.

Online dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM »
welcome to pinoyDVD....

Im still newbie in terms of collecting DVDs... but i can share you this.....

Unang-una puwede mong iconsider ay kung ano ang gusto mong pelikula/title.

kapag nakapagdecide ka na kung anong title saka ka magdecide kung anong Region ang gusto mo (Region 1, 3 or 2)... most dvds na available sa Philippine market are Region 3. Region 1 dvds are better pero mas mahal.

- DVD releases and reviews : click here

Kapag nakapagdecide ka na kung anong Regioin gusto mo... tingnan mo naman kung anong version/edition ng movie ang gusto mo... Special Edition, Collector's Edition, Platinum Edition, criterion edition, or kadalasang nabebenta sa market natin ay ang budget release na titles. (kapag may mga ediedition... maganda iyon sa tingin ko)

karamihan ng mga dvd magaganda ang picture/sound quality... ingat lang sa dvd5 minsan wala pang subtitles...

thumb of rule ko naman: hanggat may subtitle, OK. kung walang subtitle hanggat paborito ko ang movie, OK.

hindi ko pa masyadong gamay ang mga dvd kaya yan lang ang puwede kong masabi in collecting dvds.

TIP: maganda magcollect ng lahat ng movie na release ng Warner Brother.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM by dpogs »
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:23 PM »
When I started this hobby, it was more about the titles of movies I wanted to watch in glorious DD/DTS surround.  It was never about Viva or Warner or Magnavision.   For titles available locally you really have no choice.  It's not as if you have a choice between a Warner or a Magnavision for the same title.  It was more a choice between R1 or R3 and widscreen or fullscreen release.  Between 2-discs and single-disc versions.  Between regular theatrical and director's/extended cut. Between a standard release or a special gift set.  But in each of these choices, you have the same distrbutor.  But if you want to be guided based on distributors,  here's my advice

-  You can't go wrong with Warner releases.  All the Warner titles I have are good
-  Magnavision releases are also good but overpriced then
-  Viva releases are spotty,  content and packaging-wise.  Refer to this section
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=97865.0
-  C-Interactive had the worst packaging and content often using lousy printing and casing, DVD5 instead of DVD9 and fullscreen when the R1 release was widescreen. But I think they've improved a lot over the last 2 years.   

Offline joey escalera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • taragyis na yan
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM »
sa marketplace maraming nagbebenta ng magaganda at maayos na dvd's dun..mura pa.. :D
kung gusto mo kaagad makarami..hehehe...

Offline ditoy_eagle

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2010 at 01:52 PM »
Pag may DTS, better sound and sure maganda quality ng DVD.  Meron din palang mga naka steelbook cases, mas mahal mga yan. I really suggest looking at the marketplace here para maka-collect ka. Dami kong nakikitang mga R1 still available there

Offline olrac

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2010 at 08:06 PM »
wow mukhang marami palang kailangang i consider mga sir....

For the titles/ movie i prefer those movies na more on action, cartoons (watch together with the kids), and fantasy.  Actually it really depends pag ok yung nakita kong preview.

So I think its really on the region and mga edi edition (for the quality) and having DTS (for good sound).

Thanks for the links you have provided and will check... Any additional inputs will be appreciated....

Cgro after nito HT naman.... (wow gastos ulit!!!)

salamat ulit mga sir