Author Topic: Rockstar-INXS  (Read 7438 times)

Offline demented_angel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Guru
  • i'm wishing on a star, to follow where you are...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rockstar-INXS
« on: Jul 13, 2005 at 04:31 PM »
It previewed yesterday at Star World. 15 Contestants vie for being the lead singer of INXS. Host of the said reality show were Brooke Burke and Dave Navarro. Heres the official site of the show. http://www.cbs.com/primetime/rock_star/

Btw MIG AYESA was born  here in Manila, Philippines but now he's residing in Australia.

[/color]
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2005 at 04:35 PM by demented_angel »

Offline pietra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Rockstar-INXS
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 07:46 AM »
i watched it too!  mig did better last night but my vote goes to jordis ;)  i liked the performances by ty and marty as well.  unlike american idol, this show will accept votes from other countries, the philippines included!  but i think you'd have to catch the 930/10am show at star world to get the globe/smart text numbers.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2005 at 07:49 AM by pietra »

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Votre vie vraie est celle que vous avez.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 10:29 PM »
Ty sure redeemed himself....

My top 3
   1. Ty
   2. JD
   3. Can't decide between Suzie or Marty

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 10:59 PM »
i read somewhere that one of his songs was dedicated to his grandmother?  ;D thats sweet.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 11:39 AM »
did anyone catch the show today?

W-O-W! if you had to watch just one episode of this show... today's show is probably IT!

my favorites (and forecast for the top 5):

marty (what kurt cobain would've sounded like if he had voice lessons. his "brightside" perf was brilliant.)

jordis (the most "american idol" material of all the contestants. always gives a consistent performance.)

suzy (she grew on me... her versatility is quite a revelation)

JD (a bit cocky... and i HATE his "magic fingers", but he's as rock and roll as it gets.)

mig (his performance of frampton's "baby, i love your way" moved me... truly. needs to shake off a little of his "musical theater" style. but a great performer.)
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2005 at 06:00 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 05:19 PM »
this is a show I now look forward to every Wednesdays & Thursdays! How I wish I caught this from the start. I started watching this just 3 weeks ago when I caught it at my sister's place.

For me, Rockstar kicks Idol butt!  ;D Having Brooke Burke as host is also a major bonus  >:D

Yeah, the show today was the best so far. Marty's treatment of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" was absolute brilliance but Mig blew everyone away with his fantastic vocals and piano playing! I actually found myself fumbling for my cellphone and text voting for him...

I hate JD... he really is too cocky and his behavior is better suited for Survivor or The Apprentice

Jordis rocks but I don't see INXS having a female lead (not that there's anything wrong with that)... look at what happened to the post Eli Buendia Eraserheads  :)

Ty is also good but he's too much of a Guy Smiley wholesome type... He just doesn't have the bad azz Rockstar appeal

My prediction is Mig Ayesa will win this one. The judges have been very positive to almost all of his performances and he has major audience impact especially with the ladies. He exudes a rockstar appeal very similar to Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler and possibly even Michael Hutchence. He has the added advantage of being Australian plus he's half-Pinoy! (Is he or was he just born here?  ???)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 10:45 PM »
Marty! Marty! Marty! Marty!  ;D

I've been watching since first episode. I agree, this show kicks Idol's butt (not Australian Idol though heheheh). I am having a grand time watching this. I especially loved it when MiG sang We Will Rock You, three or four episodes back.... I was cheering in front of our TV. ;D I also liked his performance tonight. Baby I love your way is one song I really, really like...brings back memories from 80's (high school), when that song became a revival. Though I don't think MiG will win. I think it's going to be Marty. He looks a lot like an INXS already. But if MiG does win, okay pa rin.  ;)

I admired JD at first, but not so much now....though I especially liked what he did tonight, dun sa clinic (?) when they were asked to do an unfinished INXS song. His song really was the best of all 3.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2005 at 07:04 AM by CrUzAC[k]H »

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 10:54 PM »
MiG is a Filipino...migrated to Australia with his family when he was 2. This explains his Australian citizenship, but purely pinoy roots. His mother is from the LEGARDA clan... you know, after whom the street was named after. Last time he was here was roughly 5 years ago. I know all this because his maternal aunt is the chief nurse in the hospital where I'm connected. His cousin on the Legarda side is a member of the band Wolfgang.

It was an awesome performance by MiG, goose bumps all over. I voted 15 times for him... i even texted jetcmd and a couple of friends to vote for him!  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2005 at 08:34 PM by garfield_3199 »

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2005 at 11:28 PM »
MiG is a Filipino...migrated to Australia with his family when he was 2. This explains his Australian citizenship, but purely pinoy roots. His mother is from the LEGARDA clan... you know, after whom the street was named after. Last time he was here was roughly 5 years ago. I know all this because his paternal aunt is the chief nurse in the hospital where I'm connected. His cousin on the Legarda side is a member of the band Wolfgang.

It was an awesome performance by MiG, goose bumps all over. I voted 15 times for him... i even texted jetcmd and a couple of friend to vote for him!  ;D

so he's pure Pinoy? He doesn't look Pinoy... he looks Eurasian or Amerasian...

Yeah, he rocks!!
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2005 at 11:29 PM by jeckjeck »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2005 at 03:10 AM »
so he's pure Pinoy? He doesn't look Pinoy... he looks Eurasian or Amerasian...

Yeah, he rocks!!

well, the legarda's aren't exactly "pure" pinoys in the genetic sense ... they're mestizos. (just look at his eyes man, they're blue! LOL.) ::)
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2005 at 10:52 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Chito C.

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2005 at 09:35 AM »
Saw him perform last night. He's good!

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2005 at 04:51 PM »
Sabagay, the Legarda's are indeed a mestizo clan

spoilers for those who haven't watched today's 30 minute episode:

Jessica's out! After being in the bottom 3 for 4x, INXS finally took mercy and ended her poor run...
All girl cast in the bottom 3... I knew a female lead would not really jive with the band and the fans know it...
Nice move by Mig inviting Jordis and Marty to join him in the Encore performance

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2005 at 08:36 PM »
IMHO, today's top three will be the ultimate Top 3. What do you think?

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 07:37 AM »
In case you haven't seen it, there's a short article about MiG in today's Inquirer written by one of his cousins, Suzette Legarda Montinola.

Miguel Alfonso Ramon Legarda Ayesa, now known around the world as MiG (yes, that’s with a capital G at the end, like the MiG Jet Fighter) literally followed me into the world. The joke in our family goes that, just as my mom was being wheeled out of the hospital with me in her arms, his mother Tita Uko had gone into labor and was being wheeled in. He has always referred to me as “Older Cousin Suzie.”

Full Article: My cousin MiG
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 10:58 AM »
IMHO, today's top three will be the ultimate Top 3. What do you think?

highly probable...  ;)

i'm really rooting for marty and suzy (sorry, i really think the girl has the chops to pull it off)... but mig is okay too.  ;)

Jordis rocks but I don't see INXS having a female lead (not that there's anything wrong with that)... look at what happened to the post Eli Buendia Eraserheads :)

i feel differently... i think a gal can lead INXS. i mean even michael hutchence had some "androgynous appeal"...  ;)

who i DON'T see fronting INXS is TY. to be honest... i think he's a bit of a poseur. (and his motown-flavored perf this week kinda confirms my suspicions.)  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 11:04 AM »
In case you haven't seen it, there's a short article about MiG in today's Inquirer written by one of his cousins, Suzette Legarda Montinola.

Miguel Alfonso Ramon Legarda Ayesa, now known around the world as MiG (yes, that’s with a capital G at the end, like the MiG Jet Fighter) literally followed me into the world. The joke in our family goes that, just as my mom was being wheeled out of the hospital with me in her arms, his mother Tita Uko had gone into labor and was being wheeled in. He has always referred to me as “Older Cousin Suzie.”

Full Article: My cousin MiG

he's everywhere these days... i've seen near identical interviews with him on ANC and The Philippine Star.

"my tagalog is putik"... LOL.

that inquirer article was so much better... more personal.  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2005 at 11:05 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 12:23 PM »
he's everywhere these days... i've seen near identical interviews with him on ANC and The Philippine Star.

"my tagalog is putik"... LOL.

that inquirer article was so much better... more personal.  ;)

I think with the text vote of the Legarda clan alone, panalo na si MiG... hehehehe...  ;D Very nice article  ;D

Offline demented_angel

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 09:55 PM »
MiG is a Filipino...migrated to Australia with his family when he was 2. This explains his Australian citizenship, but purely pinoy roots. His mother is from the LEGARDA clan... you know, after whom the street was named after. Last time he was here was roughly 5 years ago. I know all this because his maternal aunt is the chief nurse in the hospital where I'm connected. His cousin on the Legarda side is a member of the band Wolfgang.

It was an awesome performance by MiG, goose bumps all over. I voted 15 times for him... i even texted jetcmd and a couple of friends to vote for him!  ;D

that's Manuel Legarda of Wolfgang...he's so guwapo!  O0 O0 O0

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2005 at 01:38 AM »
that's Manuel Legarda of Wolfgang...he's so guwapo!  O0 O0 O0

yup, he's the one ...  BTW, DA, i think his eyes are blue too.  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2005 at 01:39 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline demented_angel

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2005 at 12:10 AM »
yup, he's the one ...  BTW, DA, i think his eyes are blue too.  ;)

yup, he's a true blue mestizo hahaha  8)

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 04:46 PM »
for those of you wondering... medyo OP but this is Manuel Legarda of Wolfgang... cousin of MiG  :)

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2005 at 04:47 PM by jeckjeck »

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 08:06 PM »
goodbye Deanna! Wow... elimination is getting harder and harder... with only 6 contestants left all of whom are really good, next week should be very interesting... :)

My money is still on MiG... he's been very consistent and Dave Navarro and the INXS guys have been very kind with their feedback to him... I don't even remember them really criticizing any of his performances...  ;D Ganda pa pala ng wife 'nya  ;D

I really hate JD's guts... among all the contestants, he is the only one who is always aware of the camera in the mansion and he always "performs" for it... always with his hat tipped to one side... always with his brooding expression... and his endless schemes and strategies he discusses to the camera are irritating since he's the only one doing it... hope he gets cut soon...he should join Survivor next time...  :D

I'm hoping to see Dave Navarro pick up the guitar and rock with the houseband... he's a fantastic guitarist although I didn't really like his work with the Red Hot Chili Peppers since his sound changed the sound of RHCP a bit...  ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2005 at 08:07 PM by jeckjeck »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 12:20 AM »
i just seem to be liking suzy more and more each week...  ;)

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 12:30 AM »
hay salamat nagpost ka sir  ;D Akala ko ako na lang mag-isa sa thread na ito  ;)

Yep, Suzie seems to get better and better... its like she got a suddent boost

Unfortunately... I seem to be getting tired of Mig's style... he has amazing vocal powers but... I don't know  ::)

I wonder who'll get the boot tomorrow  ???

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 10:42 AM »
Bye Ty!
Amor Fati

Offline benoy12

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 11:55 AM »
I'm a big fan of Michael Hutchence and think that he is irreplacable. But i changed my mind when I  saw the performance of Marty and Suzie. I think either of them can pull it off. Siguro maganda kung ibahin na rin ng INXS  yung name ng band nila. I think The Farris Brothers yung first name nila so sana balik nila yun.   INXS kasi for me is Michael Hutchence. Just my opinion.

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 12:25 PM »
----> SPOILER ALERT <--------

I hate that TY used his being black as the reason for his ouster.  Why did he bring it up just now when he was bottom 3 three times over?  Maybe sacred that his non-black voters might be turned off?

If people didn't like a black guy leading INXS, he could have been booted out waaaaay before.

I would have agreed with him if he pointed out 'gender' instead NOT skin color.  He looked gay to me.  I tuned in mid-season and I'm wondering if he's 'out' in the show.  Not that I have anything against gay people.   :)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 01:12 PM »
I started watching the last 3-4 weeks lang.  Loved Suzy McNeil's cover of "Start Me Up"!  Wow.  Got me up and about looking for Rolling STones CDs in AstroPlus-Podium (just one, with songs i didn't recognize) and O (Gblt 1). Ang alam ko lang sa Rolling Stones is "Satisfaction".  Which I don't like as much.  I also liked Wish You Were Here by Marty.  Pink Floyd daw yun?  Saka Bohemian, Freddie Mercury rules!

The best thing about Rockstar.INXS is that it made me realize that there are some great rock songs.  Now I wanna know what Pink Floyd sounds like. 

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 08:06 PM »
INXS is really having a hardtime now deciding who to boot... I was hoping that JD would get it simply because of his poor attitude  :P This guy really needs an attitude adjustment  :P

Ty was the obvious choice as soon as Gary Beers pointed out to him that he used the wrong words for one of the lines in the INXS song he sang...  :-X Okay na rin that Ty got cut... I was never really a fan of his style of singing... too bluesy and R&B

I think the last three would be Marty, Suzie, and Mig... (feeling ko Mig is getting tremendous amount of votes from Australia & Asia)... I think the INXS guys are also favoring him a bit since he is a fellow Australian -- just a hunch  ;)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 02:14 AM »
I hate that TY used his being black as the reason for his ouster.  Why did he bring it up just now when he was bottom 3 three times over?  Maybe sacred that his non-black voters might be turned off?

If people didn't like a black guy leading INXS, he could have been booted out waaaaay before.

I would have agreed with him if he pointed out 'gender' instead NOT skin color.  He looked gay to me.  I tuned in mid-season and I'm wondering if he's 'out' in the show.  Not that I have anything against gay people.   :)

yeah... i didn't get that either. ty's always seemed to be a spoiled sport. never accepting the fact that he's in the bottom three in all the times he's been there (thrice, i think.) making it a "color" issue was such a cheapshot! i'm glad he's gone... never liked him anyway. talented but with veiled arrogance.

shame on JD for raining on suzy's parade. she just stated FACT man... and if he can't accept that he totally sucked during the studio clinic, then i say just suck it in and don't lay it out on someone who did their homework.

oh, and have i said enough how much i LOVE suzy and marty??  ;D ;)