Author Topic: Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara/Celso Ad Castillo  (Read 61200 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara/Celso Ad Castillo
« on: Jul 17, 2005 at 07:08 PM »
Most of the accolades says, its the scariest Filipino Film of All Time. I can only recall the loudest scream of Susan Roces upon seeing the ghost of her dead sister played by Rosanna Ortiz and nothing more. I wish SOFIA would restore this film.

A landmark in Philippine Cinema/Cult Classic also!

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Re: Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara/Celso Ad Castillo
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 10:11 PM »
Most of the accolades says, its the scariest Filipino Film of All Time. I can only recall the loudest scream of Susan Roces upon seeing the ghost of her dead sister played by Rosanna Ortiz and nothing more. I wish SOFIA would restore this film.

A landmark in Philippine Cinema/Cult Classic also!

since Patayin was produced by Rosas Productions, i believe FPJ Studios might have a print of the movie in their archives. the late FPJ was fond of collecting classic films... i know for a fact that he had Gerry de Leon's Sisa with Anita Linda in 16mm. so they must have it.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 10:17 PM »
I heard that the late FPJ really took care some of his film collections. I thought it was produced by FPJ Productions, anyway, I'll try to contact them Jojo. If not you are my last resort.

Do you remember the visuals used by Celso Ad Castillo in PATAYIN? Man, the mirrors and broken glasses are enough to keep you awake at night!  :o
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2005 at 10:18 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 10:23 PM »
I heard that the late FPJ really took care some of his film collections. I thought it was produced by FPJ Productions, anyway, I'll try to contact them Jojo. If not you are my last resort.

Do you remember the visuals used by Celso Ad Castillo in PATAYIN? Man, the mirrors and broken glasses are enough to keep you awake at night!  :o

i do remember them... Celso had the perfect eye for visuals. it was very evident in most of his films. the use of extreme close-ups to signify the terror and the house that they used it was so creepy. i can remember a shot of the house during sunset, dissolving to a scene where Susan, Dante & Beth Manlongat were having dinner then the lights went out... very creepy!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 10:31 PM »
Who wrote the screenplay, Jo? And the supporting casts are unknown?  ???

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 10:44 PM »
Who wrote the screenplay, Jo? And the supporting casts are unknown?  ???

the screenplay was written by Celso Ad Castillo & Celso Al Carunungan. the supporting cast weren't unknowns... Angie Ferro, Joonee Gamboa, Adul de Leon

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 10:47 PM »
Dude did  the brilliant Angie Ferro played the clairvoyant in this flick? More info please about the movie, how about Adul de Leon & Joonee Gamboa?

Celso Al Carunungan was a novelist right?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 11:03 PM »
Dude did  the brilliant Angie Ferro played the clairvoyant in this flick? More info please about the movie, how about Adul de Leon & Joonee Gamboa?

Celso Al Carunungan was a novelist right?

Celso Al Carunungan was a crime-investigative writer. Angie Ferro played the clairvoyant while Adul de Leon and Joonee Gamboa were the care takers of the house...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 11:05 PM »
Celso Al Carunungan was a crime-investigative writer. Angie Ferro played the clairvoyant while Adul de Leon and Joonee Gamboa were the care takers of the house...

Was it based on a true story? Angie Ferro reprised her role in the remake by Chito Rono which I think pale in comparison to the original.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 11:07 PM »
Was it based on a true story? Angie Ferro reprised her role in the remake by Chito Rono which I think pale in comparison to the original.

the plot about the two sisters and the younger one committing suicide was based on a true incident. i think Celso Ad just made the simple story of a suicide even more interesting.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 11:14 PM »
The love triangle was actually true. Funny we are talking ghosts at the same time. Was MALIGNO sort of a sequel to PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 11:17 PM »
The love triangle was actually true. Funny we are talking ghosts at the same time. Was MALIGNO sort of a sequel to PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA?

no, Maligno wasn't a sequel... Susan Roces only re-hired the same team who created Patayin she even got Dante Rivero to play opossite her in this film. it's not quite as scary but Susan delivered an impressive performance in Maligno that's probably why she took home the FAMAS Best Actress Award in 1978 besting Nora Aunor in Atsay & Vilma Santos in Rubia Servios.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2005 at 11:21 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 11:40 PM »
Can't wait for this classic film to watch. Just your thoughts on the sunset sequence and the dinner scene wherein the lights went out....sent my spine in terror!  :o
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2005 at 11:41 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 12:50 AM »
since Patayin was produced by Rosas Productions, i believe FPJ Studios might have a print of the movie in their archives. the late FPJ was fond of collecting classic films... i know for a fact that he had Gerry de Leon's Sisa with Anita Linda in 16mm. so they must have it.

If this is the same 16 mm print i saw, it's not in very good condition. But it's a tremendous film, nevertheless.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 12:46 PM »
If this is the same 16 mm print i saw, it's not in very good condition. But it's a tremendous film, nevertheless.

That's why I want to see it Noel. Majority has only one comment about it....SCARY. You don't want to turn off the lights after you've seen it.

So the print is not in mint condition already?
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2005 at 12:48 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 05:19 AM »
I meant the 16 mm print of Sisa. I think Patayin was in better condition.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 08:27 AM »
I meant the 16 mm print of Sisa. I think Patayin was in better condition.

have you ever seen Patayin recently Noel?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 01:10 PM »
No, why? Has the print gotten worse?

Mind you, I don't think it's very good narratively speaking. A lot of it didn't make sense, and some of the drama pushes into melodrama. But the scary parts, they're the scariest I've ever seen in a Filipino film.

Except for Kisapmata, I think. But that's not so much scary as it is unforgettable and unsettling.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 05:33 PM »
Did the remake followed closely the original? Was the daughter of Susan Roces possessed also? And how's the apperance of Rosanna Ortiz as the ghost?  ???

Too bad I only have vague memories of this movie.  :(

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 06:48 PM »
Did the remake followed closely the original? Was the daughter of Susan Roces possessed also? And how's the apperance of Rosanna Ortiz as the ghost?  ???

Too bad I only have vague memories of this movie.  :(

it sort of followed the original. it wasn't Susan's daughter who was possessed... Beth MAnlongat played Rosanna & Dante Riveros' daughter. her appearance as the ghost was more scary than Dawn Zulueta's. her's was a vengeful one... full of hatred all registered on her face...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 09:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, Jo.

I can't imagine Rosanna Ortiz with those big eyes, lurking in the dark in this movie. Where did they shot the film?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 06:52 AM »
they shot most of the movie in Antipolo. talking about this movie makes me want to see this film again...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 01:16 PM »
they shot most of the movie in Antipolo.

Didn't know that. From my experience, Antipolo houses, especially when they're out in the further reaches, are spooky, unnatural-feeling places...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 02:06 PM »
Didn't know that. From my experience, Antipolo houses, especially when they're out in the further reaches, are spooky, unnatural-feeling places...

so it fits very well the atmosphere of the film........its downhill also for Celso Ad after Patayin except for some flicks, BURLESK QUEEN, ISLA, PARADISE INN. I'm dying also to see PAGPUTI NG UWAK, PAGITIM NG TAGAK.

I doubt if he can still infuse the impact made by PATAYIN........

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 02:38 PM »
so it fits very well the atmosphere of the film........its downhill also for Celso Ad after Patayin except for some flicks, BURLESK QUEEN, ISLA, PARADISE INN. I'm dying also to see PAGPUTI NG UWAK, PAGITIM NG TAGAK.

I'd say Burlesk Queen and Pagputi are the height of his career, not blips in a long decline. And he was still doing interesting work as recently as Lihim ni Madonna...in my opinion the film (if not necessarily the performance) of Sunshine Cruz's career...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 02:45 PM »
I still have to see LIHIM NI MADONNA. You didn't like PARADISE INN, Noel? Vivian Velez performance is worthy enough, plus the cast was also good, Lolita Rodriguez, Mary Walter, Michael de Mesa.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 11:10 AM »
I like all Ad. Castillo's films, even the trashy ones; even in the middle of his remake of Pinakamagandang Hayop (which itself was a remake of Ryan's Daughter) there was a chase scene worthy of Gerry de Leon.

But I wouldn't put Paradise Inn on my top ten!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 08:13 PM »

the house they used in the movie was three blocks away from their own Antipolo mansion. i had the extraordinary chance to visit the late FPJ & Susan's house during a break when we were filming Kambal Tuko in Cogeo. we passed by this old house and Tita Susan told me it's  where they shot Patayin...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 08:18 PM »
I like all Ad. Castillo's films, even the trashy ones; even in the middle of his remake of Pinakamagandang Hayop (which itself was a remake of Ryan's Daughter) there was a chase scene worthy of Gerry de Leon.

But I wouldn't put Paradise Inn on my top ten!

i didn't like Paradise Inn myself... Lolita was great in the movie but even her performance cannot save the film from being a big letdown. Vivian Velez? i wasn't impressed with her either... well,  years later she proved me wrong coz she was excellent in Chito Rono's Tagalog version of Fatal Attraction Kasalanan Ba'ng Sambahin Ka? Vivian was also impressive in the Peque Gallaga directed episode of Pira-pirasong Pangarap with Nora Aunor & Joel Torre...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 02:22 AM »
i had the extraordinary chance to visit the late FPJ & Susan's house during a break

Lucky you, I only got to visit their Greenhills house. She has a full-length portrait by Amorsolo hanging in one of the walls...