Author Topic: Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara/Celso Ad Castillo  (Read 61338 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Celso Ad Castillo's VIRGIN PEOPLE
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2007 at 09:19 PM »

VIRGIN PEOPLE theatrical poster shown at Manila Film Center in 1983 which became a top-grosser. Photo taken from Celso Ad Castillo's website.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007 at 09:23 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara/Celso Ad Castillo
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2007 at 12:32 PM »
Those excerpts from his website, keats? Doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2007 at 09:03 PM »
The VIRGIN PEOPLE poster was from his website, Noel. The excerpts from BURLESK QUEEN came from the unofficial website of Vilma.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2007 at 02:28 PM »
Which unofficial website of Vilma's? Not from that nutcase that keeps emailing me he wants to be my friend?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2007 at 05:33 PM »
Noel try this link www.vilmasantos.net/home.htm. Hope it helps! The excerpts were taken from Ricky Lo's interview to Celso dated Dec. 1977. Interesting interview with the Kid.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: SNAKE SISTERS by Celso Ad Castillo
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2007 at 07:44 PM »

SNAKE SISTERS insert poster, released in 1983 also at the now ghostly Manila Film Center. Love the artwork on this poster! The film was pulled out on its tenth day because of the clamor of the moralists.  ::)

I wish we had all the local erotica made by Celso Ad Castillo in a dvd box-set. (NYMPHA, ANG PINAKAMAGANDANG HAYOP SA BALAT NG LUPA, ISLA, VIRGIN PEOPLE, SNAKE SISTERS). So far, I have ISLA.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 at 07:50 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Jun 01, 2007 at 04:02 AM »
You mean by Ricky Lee? Found it.

Wow, talk about cheesy. People say Nora was 'bakya.' Well, she never donned a Wonder Woman costume and still managed to look like she was playacting in adult clothes.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Jun 01, 2007 at 07:54 PM »

Celso Ad Castillo on the set with Susan Roces. Photo taken from The Kid's website.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Jun 23, 2007 at 05:14 PM »
I talked to someone this morning and found out that he remember fondly this film and he compared it to the original version of THE HAUNTING. And I really agree with him. The remake with Lorna and Dawn was good, but the original version relied heavily on camera tricks by Celso Ad like the zoom in and out, extreme close up shots to register the anger and fright on Rosanna Ortiz revengeful face and it really works! That alone you can see the genius of The Kid.

Celso didn't use special effects, probably just a big electric fan in the sequence where the furnitures and things were flying already on the house of Susan and Rosanna was wreaking havoc.

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2007 at 05:25 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 08:41 PM »
Some clips from QTV 11 ANG PINAKA hosted by Pia Guanio. The quality is not so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUIz2HsrFCU
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007 at 08:41 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 08:31 PM »
The KID is currently doing SANIB 2.  ??? ::)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 08:33 PM »
is it going to be produced by Regal? the first one was just awful!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 08:36 PM »
I think so, what the hell are on their minds?  ;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 08:38 PM »
i'm as confused as you are...  ???

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 08:18 PM »
Next year this will surely be included na on Cinema One's festival of classic films.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Sep 21, 2007 at 10:56 PM »
The waiting is near! Coming soon on Cinema One. I hope in time for Halloween this October.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 08:52 PM »
200 FPJ starrers exclusive on ‘2’

Not so long ago, there was an FPJ sa GMA series airing movies of the late Da King, Fernando Poe Jr.

The table has been turned.

Starting Oct. 20 (a Saturday), FPJ starrers will be showing exclusively on rival network ABS-CBN which signed the other day a contract with FPJ’s widow Susan Roces (topbilled with Dolphy and Maricel Soriano in the station’s sitcom John En Shirley).

Called Cinema FPJ — Da King on ABS-CBN, the network’s way of honoring the legend in response to public clamor, the series consists of 200 films, including those produced by Rosas Productions, FPJ Productions’ sister company. Stay tuned for such FPJ hits as the Panday series, Roman Rapido, Eseng ng Tondo, Dito sa Pitong Gatang, Kahit Konting Pagtingin, Isusumbong Kita sa Tatay Ko, Agila, Tatak ng Tondo, Alamat ng Lawin, Batang Quiapo, Dalubhasa, Ayos na ang Kasunod, Muslim Magnum 357, Totoy Bato, Asedillo and Mga Alabok sa Lupa for which FPJ won a FAMAS Best Actor trophy.

In December, ABS-CBN will air a never-before-seen music video as a TV-special tribute to Da King on his third death anniversary.

Among those in the 200-film package are Susan Roces horror starrers like Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara and Maligno for which she won FAMAS Best Actress awards. According to a tab report, GMA is doing a TV-serial remake of Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara starring Jennylyn Mercado and Yasmien Kurdi.

"Excuse me," said a Funfare DPA. "Barbara is now an exclusive property of ABS-CBN. Also, it’s not true that Celso Ad. Castillo owns the rights to Barbara; he only directed it."

My guess is that it will be ABS-CBN which will do the TV-serial remake of Barbara starring, brace yourselves, Susan herself with Kris Aquino!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:11 PM »
Snake Sisters,’ a global film!

The controversial film "Snake Sisters" made two decades ago by the equally controversial director Celso A‘Snake Sisters,’ a global film!

Celso said it is a Filipino film definitely (with Filipino stars and character), but watching it now, we agree with the director that it could classify as a global film, something that could be appreciated by international audiences.

(Controversial in his pronouncements, like he’s the "messiah and saviour of Philippine movies" and so misconstrued most of the time, Celso however has been referred to as one of the four Filipino film directors who pushed Philippine cinema towards its Second Golden Age. He is also the "greatest Filipino filmmaker this generation has produced," according to fellow director Peque Gallaga.)

Celso called "Snake Sisters" his own version of the New Wave Cinema that swept Europe at the time, more than two decades ago. "This is the story of paradise. This is my own version of the biblical Garden of Eden." But it is a surrealistic film, as surreal as the works of Salvador Dali, of which Celso is a great fan, he said.

"Snake Sisters" was shot in Tulay Buhangin in Quezon where Celso filmed 13 of his 60 movies. He became so enamored with the island that he even built a house there.

"The Filipino film has long been in search for global identity and its time we find it," said the director of about 60 notable films among them award-winning movies of the late action king Fernando Poe, Jr., Ms. Susan Roces, Vilma Santos and Gloria Diaz ("Asedillo," "Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara," "Pagputi ng Uwak, Pagitim ng Tagak," "Burlesk Queen," "Ang Pinakamagandang Hayup sa Balat ng Lupa" to name just a few).

"Snake Sisters," starring Sarsi Emmanuelle, Pepsi Paloma and Coca Nicolas, the so-callled "solfdrinks beauties" of the late star-builder Dr. Rey de la Cuz, was the opening film during the First Manila International Film festival (attended by Brooke Shields, Peter OToole and Robert Duvall among others) but it was pulled out after nine days due to insistant demand of "moralists." The movie was X-rated by the then board of censors and was banned for public exhibition for 15 years. But it was made under the concept of "experimental cinema," which was the baby of former presidential daughter now congresswoman Imee Marcos.

The two other movies that Celso made for the Experimental Cinema of the Philippines were "Virgin People" and "Isla."

But comparing it to the sex flicks of the recent past that had been approved for public exhibition, "Snake Sisters" is tame and with a unique and distinct quality all its own. Celso, who was also the screenplay writer and producer, even created the film’s own language.

The nudity among the young stars (including Myra Manibog who was introduced in "Snake Sisters,") was integral and endemic in the story, they being "snakes" and isolated in an island, and therefore not exposed to civilization.

"They are snakes so they shouldn’t be wearing clothes," Celso explained. However, the girls wore tangas, which was still not so popularly in fashion then. So the film was very much ahead ot its time in many ways.

It took all his persuasive prowess to make Sarsi, Pepsi, Coca and Myra agree to go topless all throughout and "at first, they were so conscious and uncomfortable but after only a few days of shooting, hindi na sila nahihiya, parang natural na sa kanila ang walang damit," Celso recalled. Also starring in "Snake Sisters" is Ernie Garcia who, Celso said, started doing bold movies under him.The multi-talented Ernie made several topgrossing movies during his time. Right now, he acts in theater productions and also paints. Ernie just had his latest art exhibit at SM Megamall.

Celso hopes to be able to release "Snake Sisters" this month or before the December Metro Manila Film Festival, under his own The Associates & Celso Ad. Castillo Film Co. in association with Eugjher Modelling Agency and Arte Cordillera.

By the way, "Snake Sisters" is now being distributed in DVD format in the US and Canada by BOUM Productions Ltd., a British company.

If he is able to secure a go signal from the Movie & Television Review & Classification Board (MTRCB), Celso will have the commercial exhibition of "Snake Sisters" at Robinson’s Galleria moviehouses.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #138 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:11 PM »
Kris aquino already revealed that the tv mini series of Patayin... is a go. And yes, she will be the lead actress with Susan Roces playing the role of her mother.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:20 PM »
Even in t.v. mini-series the two rival networks are fighting neck to neck but Abs-Cbn emerged as the winner. I'm not keen on the mini-series, hope it gives justice to the original film.

Kris is reprising the role of Susan, indie? Who's gonna play Barbara? I hope the brilliant Angie Ferro will be cast also.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:21 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #140 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:44 PM »
I am not even going to keep my hopes up for this series. More likely they'll cast ABS-CBN regulars like Pokwang and a bunch of teen stars under the direction of Wenn Deramas.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 03:09 PM »
I am not even going to keep my hopes up for this series. More likely they'll cast ABS-CBN regulars like Pokwang and a bunch of teen stars under the direction of Wenn Deramas.

;D ;D ;D

ABS-CBN should better be outdone themselves in this kind of medium or else their attempt will fly out the windows. This time, they're not only trying to scare viewers in two hours time but in a span of several months at least. Let's see if they fair well. Their FENG SHUI and SUKOB is a so-so scary movie at least for me.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 12:01 PM »

Ms. Susan Roces accepting her Famas Best Actress trophy for MALIGNO, the sequel to PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA circa 1978. Photo courtesy of Kuya Simon Santos of Video 48.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2007 at 12:09 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 07:20 PM »
Maligno wasn't a sequel to Patayin... it was a different movie altogether.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 10:55 AM »
What I mean is.......sort of a follow-up to the success of PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA. Rosanna Ortiz bag also the Best Supporting Actress award from Asian Film Festival for PATAYIN.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007 at 10:55 AM by keating »

Offline totoybato

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 08:38 AM »
Kaninang umaga ay natiyempuhan kong i-DVR ang pelikulang ito mula sa Cinema One. Ipalalabas ulit mamaya 09:00 CST. Malinis, malinaw, at hindi ngongo ang dialogo-salamat sa Da King.

Ngunit, pinutol ng walanghiyang ABS-CBN ang parte sa may hulihan! Hindi ba't nasa lantsa pa si Dante Rivero para sunduin sila?

Hindi ipinakita ang ang tunay na wakas...nais ko ding makita ang mga credits at acknowledgements.

Hindi lang nila binabastos ang may akda, ang may-ari at mga nagpakahirap gumawa ng pelikula, pati na rin ang mga taong malugod na sumusubaybay sa muling pagpapalabas nito.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 06:38 PM »
Darn! Was not able to watch this last night. Kudos to FPJ Film archive for preserving this cult classic. I don't know if Cinema One edit some of the parts, but my cousin who saw the film last night attest that the print is still in mint condition.

And Susan Roces still look so gorgeous amidst those screams being terrorized by Rosanna Ortiz!
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007 at 06:43 PM by keating »

Offline polio8vaccine

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 03:11 PM »
Kaninang umaga ay natiyempuhan kong i-DVR ang pelikulang ito mula sa Cinema One. Ipalalabas ulit mamaya 09:00 CST. Malinis, malinaw, at hindi ngongo ang dialogo-salamat sa Da King.

Ngunit, pinutol ng walanghiyang ABS-CBN ang parte sa may hulihan! Hindi ba't nasa lantsa pa si Dante Rivero para sunduin sila?

Hindi ipinakita ang ang tunay na wakas...nais ko ding makita ang mga credits at acknowledgements.

Hindi lang nila binabastos ang may akda, ang may-ari at mga nagpakahirap gumawa ng pelikula, pati na rin ang mga taong malugod na sumusubaybay sa muling pagpapalabas nito.

I saw this the other day too. I was also surprised how good the quality was and Susan Roces looked beautiful. I don't know if anything was edited since I've never seen it before but yeah walanghiya talaga yang Cinema One! I was watching Chito Rono's Curacha and was surprised that they actually cut out that scene where the Virgin Mary slapped Rosanna Roces and the entire scene where she was talking to a nun. I mean I understand why they would cut out the nudity and the curses but to cut out a a scene because it might offend a certain group of people is just wrong. It ruins the integrity of the movie and it is disrespectful to the filmaker.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 04:35 PM »
An encore is in order and heads up folks! Catch those rare films of the Queen from the FPJ film archive every Thursday night 9:30 on Cinema One.

I think MALIGNO is on the line-up.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 07:08 PM »
i'm looking forward to watching Maligno...