Author Topic: Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara/Celso Ad Castillo  (Read 60984 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara/Celso Ad Castillo
« Reply #30 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 06:46 AM »
I like all Ad. Castillo's films, even the trashy ones; even in the middle of his remake of Pinakamagandang Hayop (which itself was a remake of Ryan's Daughter) there was a chase scene worthy of Gerry de Leon.

But I wouldn't put Paradise Inn on my top ten!

I thought PINAKAMAGANDANG HAYOP was another Celso Ad silly remake. I didn't watch it, man.

Maybe I just love PARADISE INN because of Vivian Velez.  ;D It would be on my top 25. How about his remake of ISLA, Noel?
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2005 at 06:47 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 07:05 AM »
the house they used in the movie was three blocks away from their own Antipolo mansion. i had the extraordinary chance to visit the late FPJ & Susan's house during a break when we were filming Kambal Tuko in Cogeo. we passed by this old house and Tita Susan told me it's  where they shot Patayin...

was the house sort of a mansion, Jo?

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 08:53 AM »
Lucky you, I only got to visit their Greenhills house. She has a full-length portrait by Amorsolo hanging in one of the walls...

i did get to visit their house in Greenhills as well and yes Susan's portarait is by the staircase and the grand piano...

i loved their Antipolo mansion... it's huge you can actually shoot a film in the yard.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 08:54 AM »
was the house sort of a mansion, Jo?

it's more of an ancestral home...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 08:59 AM »
it's more of an ancestral home...

Was it near Padis Point in Antipolo, Jo? The bar has an over-looking view of the city. You're so lucky, you had a chance to visit the houses of our high-profile celebrities. I didn't know that you're a part of that Regal flick with the Gutierrez twins.  ;)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:01 AM »
Was it near Padis Point in Antipolo, Jo? The bar has an over-looking view of the city. You're so lucky, you had a chance to visit the houses of our high-profile celebrities. I didn't know that you're a part of that Regal flick with the Gutierrez twins.  ;)

no, it wasn't anywhere near Padis Point.  i just had the chance of visiting both their houses coz i was working with Tita Susan back then... please don't mention the movie with the Gutierrez twins. i'm so ashamed!  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:06 AM »
no, it wasn't anywhere near Padis Point.  i just had the chance of visiting both their houses coz i was working with Tita Susan back then... please don't mention the movie with the Gutierrez twins. i'm so ashamed!  ;D

Oh, I'm sorry dude.  ;D ;)

Imagine this movie with commentary on dvd by Celso Ad & Ms. Roces, that would be wonderful! And speaking of Rosanna Ortiz, is she also in the U.S. now?
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:09 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:11 AM »
Oh, I'm sorry dude.

Imagine this movie with commentary on dvd by Celso Ad & Ms. Roces, that would be wonderful! And speaking of Rosanna Ortiz, is she also in the U.S. now?

all we can do is wish... i think Rosanna is here in the US.  until now i haven't seen a Tagalog dvd that's remotely close to the ones released by the Criterion Collection... if we only have the resources and a master print of the movie.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:16 AM »
Yeah, all we can do is wish. I'll email wwvideos.com, and see if they can find this one. Although very pricey, they are reliable right? I hope cc will release also some of our classic films. We lack funds and resources when it comes to releasing Filipino films on dvd. But wait, did you see the latest releases of Unitel Pictures? The old movies of Regal Films?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:22 AM »
Yeah, all we can do is wish. I'll email wwvideos.com, and see if they can find this one. Although very pricey, they are reliable right? I hope cc will release also some of our classic films. We lack funds and resources when it comes to releasing Filipino films on dvd. But wait, did you see the latest releases of Unitel Pictures? The old movies of Regal Films?

i got them... Vincent Nebrida of Unico Entertainment gave me copies. the transfers are okay... no special features but it's better than nothing. i was told that the master copy was less than desirable so we can only get the best possible quality even wthe the help of digital restoration...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:27 AM »
Why barebone? Did you ask Mr. Nebrida of Unitel? Saw Mr. Tony Gloria at the preem of Pinoy Blonde last week. But then, its ok, its very difficult to navigate the vhs copies of those films. But in dvd, you can skip and forward to a particular scene.

So, how's MANILA BY NIGHT???
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:29 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:33 AM »
Why barebone? Did you ask Mr. Nebrida of Unitel? Saw Mr. Tony Gloria at the preem of Pinoy Blonde last week. But then, its ok, its very difficult to navigate the vhs copies of those films. But in dvd, you can skip and forward to a particular scene.

So, how's MANILA BY NIGHT???

Vincent told me that all they acquired were the film rights... they had to pay extra if Chito Rono would've recorded a commentary track on the dvd of Babae Sa Bintana.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:35 AM »
Vincent told me that all they acquired were the film rights... they had to pay extra if Chito Rono would've recorded a commentary track on the dvd of Babae Sa Bintana.

That's fine, man. Still they were able to transfer it on dvd.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:42 AM »
That's fine, man. Still they were able to transfer it on dvd.

like i said it's better than nothing...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #44 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 01:59 PM »
I thought PINAKAMAGANDANG HAYOP was another Celso Ad silly remake. I didn't watch it, man.

How about his remake of ISLA, Noel?

Pinakamagandang Hayop is mostly silly, except for that one sequence, which made me sit up. Then I sank back down for the rest of the picture.

The Isla remake is another near-miss, a visually interesting film with not a lot of sense in it. Same with his Virgin People. He's incredibly inconsistent, slipshod in one sequence, genius the next. No quality control like Mike Kubrick--este, de Leon. But you keep going to his pictures hoping to catch that flash of genius, hoping he can maintain it for even half if not a whole picture (which I think he somehow managed to do with Lihim ni Madonna).

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 28, 2005 at 09:56 AM »
I know Celso Ad has a personal website but I can't find it. Even a Google search produced nothing.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2005 at 10:01 AM by RMN »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 28, 2005 at 12:18 PM »
I know Celso Ad has a personal website but I can't find it. Even a Google search produced nothing.

I've been searching also RMN, but no luck.  :(

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 06:42 AM »

try this link...

http://members.tripod.com/celsoad/main.html

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 29, 2005 at 12:44 PM »
try this link...

http://members.tripod.com/celsoad/main.html

Thanks for the link, Jo. Nice, nice website of Celso Ad!  :) 8)

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 09, 2005 at 09:01 PM »
Patayin Mo Sa Sindak si Barbara aka Kill Barbara with Panic
(ROSAS PRODUCTIONS; PHIL) 96 min

Like Gerardo de Leon’s Curse of the Vampires (1970), Castillo’s picture writes large what most Western fantasy movies wrap up in various disguises. In this demonic-possession story devised by the director, religious paraphernalia are largely dispensed to allow for a less contorted treatment of hysteria and to more clearly designate the central dynamic of the neuroses at stake in this type of fantasy scenario: sexual jealousy which is, precisely, a matter of possessiveness.

A young woman commits suicide after vowing revenge against her unfaithful husband (Rivero) and his lover (Roces). The rest of the movie chronicles the ghost’s chilling, often gorily physical, persecution of her victims. Although unevenly scripted with wordy and overly sentimental passages, the mise-en-scene of the action is effective and easily matches The Exorcist (1973) while the movie’s approach to the motif of possession is far more intelligent than William Friedkin’s.

Castillo is one of Filipino cinema’s most interesting characters. Originally a writer of comic strips, he initiated the ‘bomb’ genre - the Philippine equivalent of Italy’s giallo  movies – with the controversial Nympha (1970) which ended with a nauseatingly graphic depiction of a backstreet abortion and intercut a prayer scene with a lovemaking one, the heroine achieving absolution exactly when the lovers outside her window achieve their climax. He essayed various genres and eventually received international recognition with Burlesk Queen (1977), which was acknowledged as the best Filipino film of that year.

*from "THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HORROR  MOVIES"
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2005 at 09:02 PM by renato »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:00 PM »
The review posted by renato makes me more eager to watch PATAYIN and it says.....more intelligent than THE EXORCIST.

Castillo's NYMPHA should not be confuse with Gosiengfiao's flick. While the former is presumably lost, the latter can still be seen once in a while on Cinema One.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:01 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 08:39 AM »
Joel Torre on ISLA

"Celso was in his Messiah phase. Did you know his converted to Islam? I'm waiting for his comeback. ISLA was a bold movie. I said, Please no nudity. Then Ma. Isabel Lopez takes off her clothes and starts running on the beach and Celso says, Run after her. I knew there was no point in arguing, so I took off my pants and ran after her."

8)
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2005 at 08:41 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 12:21 PM »

[ I knew there was no point in arguing, so I took off my pants and ran after her 8)

Thas the spirit! ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 12:25 PM »
Thas the spirit! ;D

LOL!

The vcd that I saw was the mangled version, pixelization was so bad also. Have you seen ISLA recently, Noel? Is it a classic or a crap? At par with lets say, SCORPIO NIGHTS?
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2005 at 12:37 PM by keating »

Offline maverickph

• Collector
  • DVD Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 07:05 PM »
Sayang lang at di ma remaster mga classic philippine movies sa DVD. Example RIZAL by Marilou Diaz Abaya, FPJ classic na kasama sina Eddie Garcia, Charo Santos, Jay Ilagan, Christopher de Leon, Elizabeth Oropesa to name few I forgot na lang yung title ng movie by Eddie Romero. ??? Meron pa kayan VCD nito.
Happy to meet You.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 03:21 AM »
LOL!

The vcd that I saw was the mangled version, pixelization was so bad also. Have you seen ISLA recently, Noel? Is it a classic or a crap? At par with lets say, SCORPIO NIGHTS?

This the original or remake?

Saw the remake, and it's part awful, part great--about par for Ad Castillo. No, I wouldn't rate this above Scorpio Nights, but I wouldn't rate it below Scorpio 2 (I wouldn't rate Schumacher below Scorpio 2).

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #56 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 08:02 AM »
Sayang lang at di ma remaster mga classic philippine movies sa DVD. Example RIZAL by Marilou Diaz Abaya, FPJ classic na kasama sina Eddie Garcia, Charo Santos, Jay Ilagan, Christopher de Leon, Elizabeth Oropesa to name few I forgot na lang yung title ng movie by Eddie Romero. ??? Meron pa kayan VCD nito.

You're referring to Romero's Agila, which I personally like. It's not a great movie but I have fond memories of it nevertheless, especially since my dad brought me to see it. I wouldn't mind seeing a remastered version of this film.

I wouldn't consider Abaya's Rizal a classic. It's a crappy movie.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 12:08 PM »
I wouldn't consider Abaya's Rizal a classic. It's a crappy movie.

Not to mention confused, conventional, and colonically challenged.  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2005 at 12:10 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 01:56 PM »
This the original or remake?

Saw the remake, and it's part awful, part great--about par for Ad Castillo. No, I wouldn't rate this above Scorpio Nights, but I wouldn't rate it below Scorpio 2 (I wouldn't rate Schumacher below Scorpio 2).

The original, Noel. I walked out on the remake when I watched it on the theatres, kinda slow for a Celso Ad flick. Forget Scorpio Nights 2, man.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 28, 2005 at 12:11 PM »
Even the Isla remake has something to look at, tho you need a little tiyaga to sit through it.