Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568574 times)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #3660 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM »
the question is..
how strong the avr should be? ;)

Most AVRs do not have the current capacity and damping to bring the best out of these speakers. They still sound decent in most cases, but they sound quite a bit better with burlier upstream components. I also suggest getting those with livelier sonic characteristics, as most people find these speakers needing an extra dose of excitement.

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3661 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 10:45 AM »
Most AVRs do not have the current capacity and damping to bring the best out of these speakers. They still sound decent in most cases, but they sound quite a bit better with burlier upstream components. I also suggest getting those with livelier sonic characteristics, as most people find these speakers needing an extra dose of excitement.

english master stagea please  ::)
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline ryan750

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Dai-1chi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3662 on: Oct 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM »
Can someone show me the schematics of 9.1 crossover?

Offline volcomstoner

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3663 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 07:39 PM »
the question is..
how strong the avr should be? ;)

hi sir..i recently acquired a Denon DRA 685?100wpc modded already to make it more lively..(according  to the first owner..sir soundgarden..)
for 2 channel audio lang po sana..for metal genre..pwede kaya talaga 9.6?

Offline joko11

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #3664 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 03:37 AM »
im no audiphile but wharfe is no good at music.
;)
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3665 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 09:25 AM »

hi sir..i recently acquired a Denon DRA 685?100wpc modded already to make it more lively..(according  to the first owner..sir soundgarden..)
for 2 channel audio lang po sana..for metal genre..pwede kaya talaga 9.6?

At what levels do you plan to play your music? ;D  I have 9.6's.  They should sing. ;)
;)

I am no audiophile too. But who really is?  Sound engineers? Those who design and make speakers for a living? I respect and appreciate those whose passion is like mine- to be able to enjoy great movies and music given what resources we have. Like Sheryl Crow says, and my ears agree "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad".  Have had my Wharfedales for serveral years. now and could not be happier.
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3666 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 10:19 AM »
;)

ganyan din ang paniwala ko dati pero maganda pala ito, maselan lng sa tingin ko. kung  papartneran ito ng price-matched gears ay di talaga tutunog ng maganda. refer to this quote:

CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3667 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM »
The Diamond series loves more current. Of course it'll sound like ass fart if you drive it with unworthy gears. Go to The Listening Room and ask for a proper audition with a good beefy amp and you'll see what I mean.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM by armymanhaha »
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Offline c.a.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3668 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM »
The Diamond series loves more current. Of course it'll sound like ass fart if you drive it with unworthy gears. Go to The Listening Room and ask for a proper audition with a good beefy amp and you'll see what I mean.

+1

i once used a Harman kardon hk3350 (30wpc) to drive my 9.6 and i was really disappointed by how it sounds, but when i used it with a 90wpc sansui au-@607 the 9.6 sang, it was able to open up, detailed highs, textured mids and deep bass.. but of course you also have to take in consideration proper positioning and adequate room size.

Offline cnn

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3669 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM »
;)

I disagree.... Using 9.5s and 9CM with paradigm subs... Really enjoying jazz audio sessions at home... Ang Ganda ng SQ and imaging with EARTH WIND & FIRE.... FOURPLAY.... DAVID BENOIT.... ETC....

I guess iba iba lang talaga ang taste natin... Some prefer whafedales.... Others prefer different brands....

Depende sa user/listener...

Offline joko11

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #3670 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 01:13 PM »
dont get me wrong guys.i use wharfe for my whole set ups.and also had audio files on my servers in flac format.but when im listening to those flac's i couldnt just enjoy to the fullest whats wharfe given me.i just need more ;)
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline cnn

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3671 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 01:19 PM »
dont get me wrong guys.i use wharfe for my whole set ups.and also had audio files on my servers in flac format.but when im listening to those flac's i couldnt just enjoy to the fullest whats wharfe given me.i just need more ;)

;) ;) ;)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3672 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 01:29 PM »

I could not agree more. The bookshelf models typically drop below 4 ohms, while the hardest to drive one (the 9.6) drops to the 2 ohm zone (and at the same time gets quite capacitive). Entry level to midlevel AVRs may not have the stiffness to maintain signal integrity when driving such a load. The 9.6 lumbers around sluggishly with no sense of sparkle or impact with the wrong amplifier. A high current solid state amplifier is what I'd recommend with these speakers. It'd take an expensive tube amplifier (or a purpose-built one) to be up to that task.

Most people pair these things with budget AVRs and amplifiers because of the low price, but that could be a recipe for disaster (well, disappointment to be exact). They're among the most current-hungry speakers in this price segment, and that spoils their budget-friendliness (in terms of system cost).

I'm not saying that a good amp will make these speakers blow exotica out of the water, but they will sound appreciably better. The reason why they've gotten good reviews abroad despite the higher prices in those markets is probably because those reviewers had the right gear to match (aside from individual preferences).

For people looking for same-priced speakers for entry level AVRs, there are speakers that don't need much current or grip. The Polk M series for example, is particularly suitable for this application.

Offline buzzworth

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3673 on: Oct 29, 2011 at 06:01 AM »

bro you may need to setup a dedicated audio system. I agree with most of the comments posted, Wharfedale speakers are current hungry, you will not be able to maximize them if you are going to drive them with AVR with limited power. I used to have a 9.6, when using with the Onkyo 606 and playing flac, I was really disappointed which made me decide to post and sell them here in PDVD. Then when i already got a buyer, 1 day before he gets the speaker, I tried connecting it to my Sony ES555  and wow, it was a whole different speaker playing all those lovely flacs....I almost called the buyer to cancel the deal  ;D... to make a long story short, for me, Wharf is a capable speaker but you need to have a good amp to make the Wharfedale sing.
Onkyo TX-sr606
Sansui AU-666
PSB Image B6
Bose Accoustimas 7
LG LD460
Pilyo amp and RE Sr10[

Offline joko11

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #3674 on: Oct 29, 2011 at 06:09 AM »
bro you may need to setup a dedicated audio system. I agree with most of the comments posted, Wharfedale speakers are current hungry, you will not be able to maximize them if you are going to drive them with AVR with limited power. I used to have a 9.6, when using with the Onkyo 606 and playing flac, I was really disappointed which made me decide to post and sell them here in PDVD. Then when i already got a buyer, 1 day before he gets the speaker, I tried connecting it to my Sony ES555  and wow, it was a whole different speaker playing all those lovely flacs....I almost called the buyer to cancel the deal  ;D... to make a long story short, for me, Wharf is a capable speaker but you need to have a good amp to make the Wharfedale sing.
mukang ganun na nga ang kahihinatnan brader :D
satisfied naman ako sa kanya as HT.
but as my music/emo listening is concern i need better power source to drive them.
mag tubo kaya ako? ;D
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline buzzworth

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3675 on: Oct 29, 2011 at 09:45 AM »
mukang ganun na nga ang kahihinatnan brader :D
satisfied naman ako sa kanya as HT.
but as my music/emo listening is concern i need better power source to drive them.
mag tubo kaya ako? ;D
bro, try mo yung mga vintage amp na naka for sale..if for audio setup and needs more juice, try mo yung Sansui o Pioneer, they will be able to drive those 9.1 or 9.6 wharfedale with ease. Right now, I have sansui amp for my pure audio setup and its driving my PSB and iba talaga...i'm sure ganyan din ang wharfedale speakers.
Onkyo TX-sr606
Sansui AU-666
PSB Image B6
Bose Accoustimas 7
LG LD460
Pilyo amp and RE Sr10[

Offline volcomstoner

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3676 on: Oct 30, 2011 at 08:37 PM »
bro, try mo yung mga vintage amp na naka for sale..if for audio setup and needs more juice, try mo yung Sansui o Pioneer, they will be able to drive those 9.1 or 9.6 wharfedale with ease. Right now, I have sansui amp for my pure audio setup and its driving my PSB and iba talaga...i'm sure ganyan din ang wharfedale speakers.

hi sir! how about denon dra 685 receiver  100watts per channel (with choke tweak by sir soundgarden)..he told me the tweak was to make the receiver more lively, can it power the 9.6? for audio set up? thanks..

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3677 on: Oct 30, 2011 at 09:14 PM »
mag tubo kaya ako? ;D

That may be an upgrade in terms of sound character (for some), but it's most likely a downgrade in terms of current handling. You need a higher end valve amp to match the current capacity and damping that's available to most solid state gear.

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3678 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 09:37 AM »
finally got my hands on a pair of 9.3's. any recommendations on what height of speaker stands i should use? thanks

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3679 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 10:05 AM »
finally got my hands on a pair of 9.3's. any recommendations on what height of speaker stands i should use? thanks

That depends on how high you sit. Aim at getting the tweeters at or just below ear level, then just play with toe.

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3680 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 03:00 PM »
That depends on how high you sit. Aim at getting the tweeters at or just below ear level, then just play with toe.

thanks for the advice will play around with the speaker height and will be using 18" high plastic stools for now. may silbi na ulit ang monoblock chairs

Offline FrancisS

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Collector
  • Drive your car and speakers safely!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3681 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 11:11 PM »
what's on top of the 9.3?  ;D
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Aaudio/Wharfe 9.3,9CM,9.1
Sony BDP S570+PS3
Pilyo Amp4v2 + 2 12" JBL GT5

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3682 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 11:21 PM »
what's on top of the 9.3?  ;D

star wars phantom menace thing i got from pizza hut or kfc delivery a few years back

Offline FrancisS

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3683 on: Nov 01, 2011 at 09:56 AM »
star wars phantom menace thing i got from pizza hut or kfc delivery a few years back

i see, I thought it was an external tweeter or something. :)  I also have the 9.3. :)
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Sony BDP S570+PS3

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3684 on: Nov 02, 2011 at 05:56 AM »

Try using Tube amp with at least 15Watts of power and maybe  you'll change you listening perspective. I'm driving my 9.1 with a SE KT88 and i'm very much satisfied with it. It's just me though.  ;)

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3685 on: Nov 02, 2011 at 09:02 AM »

sayang joko hindi mo naabutan yung 9.3 ni ume.eto sana yung magandang kapartner ng 9cm mo.kung di naman kalakihan yung listening area mo mas yun to kaysa sa 9.6 (saka hindi mo na kailangan mag upgrade to a more powerful avr kung sakali).agree ako kay master stagea na etong 9.3 ang pinaka ok sa lahat ng diamond 9 series kasi nasubukan ko na lahat ng diamond 9 series except yung 9.2 mo.na miss ko nga yung sound character nya kaya nag pm ako kay ume a few weeks ago na kung sakali ibenta nya yung 9.3 na binil nya sa akin eh ialok nya muna sa akin.medyo hectic lang sched nung inalok nya sa akin pero kung umabot ngayung wednesday sigurado nasa akin na ulit yang 9.3 na yan

Offline FrancisS

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3686 on: Nov 05, 2011 at 12:58 PM »
9 series owners,
For those who did not BiAmp/BiWire, did u connect your speaker wires using the LF or HF at the rear of the speakers?
Which connection do you guys think is better, I know there should be no difference with the binding posts in place, but I think they sound better if connected to the LF, what do u guys think?
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2011 at 07:12 PM by FrancisS »
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Sony BDP S570+PS3

Offline volrathj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3687 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 05:13 AM »
Mga master pano ko i connect ang banana plugs sa binding post ng wharfy 9.1 ko may plastic na naka bara? Pano po tanggalin yon? Thanks in advance...

Offline joko11

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #3688 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 05:27 AM »
^
madali lang po sungkitin yun :D
try nipper ;D
pwede rin sa likod tulak palabas ;)
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline c.a.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3689 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 12:34 PM »
Mga master pano ko i connect ang banana plugs sa binding post ng wharfy 9.1 ko may plastic na naka bara? Pano po tanggalin yon? Thanks in advance...

paper clip ;D