Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568420 times)

Offline bhongskie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #1350 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 09:41 AM »
bro kt, I'll stop short of recommending a choice between the MS and Wharf 'coz I believe it's not a matter of which is better but a matter of which sound you like.  I'll give na rin my observation nonetheless no matter how subjective it is since I was able to audition the MS 914, 904 and 908 and the Wharf 9.4, 9.5 and 9.6.

Found the MS line bright indeed and the Wharfs warmer.  I was actually considering the MS914 for my audio set-up but I ended up getting the Wharf 9.5 instead.  Perfect for the music that I prefer and as a bonus the price to performance ratio I believe is really excellent.  I think that's one very good trait of Wharfs, good sound for less price.

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #1351 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:10 AM »
hi! what amp and ICs/speaker cables were used during your audition of the MS and wharfe 9.6? these may have contributed to your conclusion that the MS speakers are "bright" sounding and the wharfes being warm...just a thought, thanks! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1352 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:40 AM »
Hi superman,  don't know what ICs were used in my audition of the MS line, (wasn't able to ask na) but the receiver and CDP were Marantz.  The Wharfs I auditioned were hooked by Ixos speaker cables to NADC320BEE and NAD521 CDP then I asked to hook it on a Yamaha 450 receiver for comparison.  The Wharf sounded better with the NAD than with the Yammie.  Then again, this is not conclusive, just my observation/impression.  I would not consider my audition as conclusive as it went for only over an hour for the entire MS line and about the same time also for the Wharfs.

Offline leomar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1353 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:44 AM »
magkano po price range ng diamond 9 series speakers? thanks po!

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1354 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:46 AM »
bro hans n bongskie! tnx for the reply!

hehe hirap talaga mamili! ganda kasi pareho eh! ???

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1355 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 11:15 AM »
Hi superman, don't know what ICs were used in my audition of the MS line, (wasn't able to ask na) but the receiver and CDP were Marantz. The Wharfs I auditioned were hooked by Ixos speaker cables to NADC320BEE and NAD521 CDP then I asked to hook it on a Yamaha 450 receiver for comparison. The Wharf sounded better with the NAD than with the Yammie. Then again, this is not conclusive, just my observation/impression. I would not consider my audition as conclusive as it went for only over an hour for the entire MS line and about the same time also for the Wharfs.

thanks for the reply bro...i would suggest when auditioning, use the same amp/receiver, same source, same cables so that all factors are equal, with this you will be able to really listen to and hear the difference between the two...if possible as well, use the same amp/source/cables that you have so more or less you can conclude if this will match your taste, just my 2-cents, thanks! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1356 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 11:29 AM »
KT - answered your PM, please check, thanks!

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1357 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 04:51 PM »
Superman,

YOur right as much as possible you'll use the same gears in evaluating speaker.. kaso we all know that no shop carry all brand that we plan to audition.

Tip: speaker should be neutral and natural sounding less coloration better. ;D ;D

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1358 on: Aug 31, 2005 at 06:41 PM »
ano sensitivity ng 9.6?

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1359 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 07:44 AM »
ano sensitivity ng 9.6?

91db yata, bro!

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1360 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 08:21 AM »
who has a Wharfedale 9.5 or 9.6 setup here who can convince me otherwise of what I heard from the store?

warning: i have torture CDs

anybody?

Offline zakkaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1361 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 11:31 AM »
who has a Wharfedale 9.5 or 9.6 setup here who can convince me otherwise of what I heard from the store?

anybody?
you can audition it at spectra they allow it

Offline vvt-i

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1362 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 11:33 AM »

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1363 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 11:47 AM »
you can audition it at spectra they allow it
that's where I auditioned it and they sound crappy.

kaya nga i'm looking for somebody with a decent 9.5 or 9.6 setup. but it seems nobody is willing.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1364 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 12:18 PM »

anybody?

What's your "torture" CDs?   Most of the time, you shouldn't  expect entry level stuff to pass "torture" tests that even some mid-priced brands have difficulty passing.   ;D  Some AV stores won't even allow you to play a difficult CD if they know your CD will stress out their merchandise. 
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 12:22 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1365 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 12:41 PM »
that's where I auditioned it and they sound crappy.

kaya nga i'm looking for somebody with a decent 9.5 or 9.6 setup. but it seems nobody is willing.

I think somebody should give time to arnoldc to check on this - baka hindi 9.6 ang prbm - baka yung mga amp sa spectra!  ;D . . . o  yung source . . . o yung cable nila . . . o yung the whole system (as in system synergy)!  ;D

Di naman papatayin ni arnoldc ang speaker nyo . . . torture lang naman eh!  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 12:43 PM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1366 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 12:47 PM »
What's your "torture" CDs?   Most of the time, you shouldn't  expect entry level stuff to pass "torture" tests that even some mid-priced brands have difficulty passing.   ;D  Some AV stores won't even allow you to play a difficult CD if they know your CD will stress out their merchandise. 

I think the store can always control the volume during stressing or torture test of a speaker . . . and I think capability of speakers can not be judged by their cost alone as to suggest from your post that more expensive always means better! I guess not!  :P

In fact, the best way to battle (shopping  ;D) to get your conquest (your gear  ;D ;D) is really to bring your guns&bullets (test materials  ;D ;D  ;D)
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1367 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 01:04 PM »
. . . and I think capability of speakers can not be judged by their cost alone as to suggest from your post that more expensive always means better! I guess not!  :P

You're talking exceptions, I'm talking generalities. 
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 01:14 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1368 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 01:13 PM »
av_phile, my "torture" CDs are not a collection that can break a system :) they're collections of nice music (at least to me) that will bring out the qualities or the lack of it, of any system.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1369 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 01:30 PM »
av_phile, my "torture" CDs are not a collection that can break a system :) they're collections of nice music (at least to me) that will bring out the qualities or the lack of it, of any system.

Ok, I initially thought your "torture" CD might have consisted of the Telarc 1812 overture which can easily stress any system.  ;D 

So these must be audiophile recordings with well-thought out recording techniques that brought the musical detail to the fore, right? 

I don't know how you define "crap."  But to be more precise, when I was auditioning the diamond 8.3 before, it didn't strike me as being detailed in the mids and highs as in another system using different speakers, playing my favourite CD title at that time (which wasn't even audiophile grade.)   Though I wouldn't call it crap.  It just wasn't as revealing as my ears preferred.

Someone (I think the Wharfe sales guy honest enough to caution me) told me at that time not to expect the world from the Diamond 8 at the price I'd be paying.   It's certainly no Mssion or B&W.  It garnered awards precisely because it offered the best value for its price point.  It allowed ordinary folks to get a glimpse of what it's like to hear Hi-Fi at a price they won't complain.  But if you are used to the more eclectic appliances regarded as sonically definitive among serious hi-fi circles, you might be dissappointed when you start comparing the diamond with these, with all other things equal.  ;D  The diamond 9 is said to be an improvement,  but I am often surprised at the less than enthusiastic feedback I hear. 
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 01:52 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1370 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:03 PM »
So these must be audiophile recordings with well-thought out recording techniques that brought the musical detail to the fore, right?
Yes :)

Crap = ngongo, disoriented, incoherent. that is the 9.5 i'm describing. not even the low price compelled me to buy one. BUT, i'm not writing it off. heard it in one store (Spectra, and I have no complaints on the store and it's staff), surely would like to hear it somewhere else.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:06 PM by arnoldc »

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1371 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:14 PM »

anybody?

arnold,

i'm not sure if this is your cup of tea, but you might want to join this session:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?board=63;topic=36045.158#msg487408
peace man!

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1372 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:25 PM »
[quote
Crap = ngongo, disoriented, incoherent. that is the 9.5 i'm describing. not even the low price compelled me to buy one. BUT, i'm not writing it off. heard it in one store (Spectra, and I have no complaints on the store and it's staff), surely would like to hear it somewhere else.

This is the kind of review, comment or observation I would like to read, an honest to goodness,  straight to the point observation. No that I don't like the Diamond 9.5.

I think there's a shoot-out of floorstander this comming saturday, the wharfe 9.6,I think is one of the contender. You may want to join them. They're using a prety decent equipment there (atleast for my taste).

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1373 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:36 PM »
onedown, jcob, thanks for the link, but i'm sure magulo yun. daming protagonist :D gagawin ko na lang yung CMoy ko :D ngongo yung sennheiser sa Acer notebook ko eh, but on the Harman Kardon it shines!
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:37 PM by arnoldc »

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1374 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:46 PM »
onedown, jcob, thanks for the link, but i'm sure magulo yun. daming protagonist :D gagawin ko na lang yung CMoy ko :D ngongo yung sennheiser sa Acer notebook ko eh, but on the Harman Kardon it shines!

Sir, I was hoping I can convince you to go there (although I'm not the owner of the house) so that you may also give us your honest opinion(s) on those speakers. I also want to hear it myself, wala lang time

Wait na lang ako sa review nung mga present doon.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1375 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:49 PM »

Did you get to compare the Diamond at Spectra with another brand of speakers like the Klipsch or Mission they are carrying? 

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1376 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 03:00 PM »
jcob, as much as i'd like to, i'm not sure din.

av_phile1, hindi. because my focus talaga is the wharf after what i've been reading. muntik ko na nga bilhin without auditioning, buti na lang.

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1377 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 03:31 PM »

anybody?

bro arnoldc,

If you find time I can volunteer my 9.5 for your testing, but in my place.  However, you just have to bear with my very modest equipment consisting of Yamaha 440, Philips DVD player (which I also use as my audio source), Audio pro speaker cables and interconnects, nothing branded, fancy or exotic "audiophile" gear.  But if you prefer you can bring along your prefered gear to hook up with my 9.5.  My living room is not acoustically treated and of modest size so that might add up.  Also, my 9.5 was delivered only last Saturday so hindi pa siguro sufficient ang break-in but what the heck, I don't believe in the idea of break-in for speakers.  These are just personal thoughts.

My offer is not intended to prove or disprove anything.  Because, as a matter of fact, I had somewhat the same impression as you when I first heard the 9.5.  I had to audition thrice, from different stores to convince myself that the 9.5 is worth it.   The 9.5 is not a perfect speaker but when I auditioned the Infinity Primus 360, MA B4, AE Evo 3, Concept 2, B&W 602, a Jamo speaker (forgot model), MS 904, 908 and 914 that made up my mind.  Of course some of the speakers I mentioned are better than the 9.5 but considering their price (near twice that of the 9.5) I was not convinced that those sounded twice better than the diamond.  So my choice was easy and I was happy with my purchase though there is more to be desired from the 9.5

I welcome the idea of testing the 9.5 from people like you who are more knowledgeable in this field.  At least I will have the opinion straight from people who have vast experiences in audio and HT and it is my hope that in the process I will learn.

Thanks.

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1378 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 03:47 PM »
bhongskie, i'll take your offer, and definitely your place as i never intended to borrow it naman. you can pm your mobile for us to communicate further.

cheers!

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1379 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 04:05 PM »
sure bro arnoldc, will pm you my mobile and address later.  Offhand, we can schedule it on weekends lang.

cheers!