Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568268 times)

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #1410 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 01:49 PM »
It's definitely not for everyone.  At my age, I can't be expected to hear anything above 17khz.  That's probably why I also find some speakers ngongo and that what younger people consider bright is just right for me.   ;D  Just my thoughts.

Sir Avphile,

Mukhang your saying oldies ka na sir..  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D hehehehe

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1411 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 02:03 PM »
Sir Avphile,

Mukhang your saying oldies ka na sir..  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D hehehehe

Well, no point denying it.   ;D   30 something is old in this hobby.  ;D  That's when you start to hear less and less of 18khz and above. 

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1412 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 02:19 PM »
chief,

Actually 9.6, Concept 6, B4 & M34i. :)

Chief,

Actually 9.6, Concept 6, B4 & M34. :)

As I know wala pa yatang M34i here, but I may be wrong.

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1413 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 02:21 PM »
Itodo nyo na. Sama na AE Evo 3 ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1414 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 02:23 PM »
Well, no point denying it.   ;D   30 something is old in this hobby.  ;D  That's when you start to hear less and less of 18khz and above. 

I dunno but according to my impressions, di ba usually those who are into this HT and audio hobby are mostly in the age 30 & up bracket? So that makes you young  ;D.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1415 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 02:24 PM »
Itodo nyo na. Sama na AE Evo 3 ;D

Mordaunt SHort na rin.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1416 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 02:27 PM »
Mordaunt SHort na rin.

I think Sir Akyat owns the 908's (?), so MS is represented :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1417 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 02:58 PM »
I dunno but according to my impressions, di ba usually those who are into this HT and audio hobby are mostly in the age 30 & up bracket? So that makes you young  ;D.

I like to think so too.  ;D

I guess 30 something and above is the time when you most likely have achieved a place in the corporate hierarchy or a thriving business when you can afford to buy all those goodies needed for a really serious audio or HT set-up.  

Ironically and unfortunately, it's also the time when you develop a serious diminution in your hearing prowess.   :(  

The irony of it all is just when you can afford to indugle in a Bryston or a B&W, you really can't hear all their promise of delivering flat frequencies up to 20khz. Only up to 17khz, gradually getting lower as you age, about 1khz down every decade or so.   In that sense, anybody wo can now afford to indulge in this hobby is, quite simply, old.  ;D  Unless you're a rich 16 year old  kid who just inherited you dad's esoteric gears.  ;D  Very rarely do you find an 16 year old enjoying his own Bryston amps and Maggies in a well treated listening room with his own plasma TV.  That's really the age range when you can enjoy all the frequencies up to 20khz.  Or a 20-20 vision to enjoy all the colors.  ;D  But here's another irony, a 16 year old would most likely be happy wasting his faculties away in their peak with a portable mp3 and a pathetic headphone.   ;D  Life is one great irony.   ;D

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1418 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 03:58 PM »
me too i can hardly hear above 17khz ever since my mid-20s, probably due to headphone abuse coz the first audio gear i can afford were a Discman and studio headphones.... frequency sweep on a test CD goes quiet on me when it reaches the top freqs.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1419 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 04:42 PM »
me too i can hardly hear above 17khz ever since my mid-20s, probably due to headphone abuse coz the first audio gear i can afford were a Discman and studio headphones.... frequency sweep on a test CD goes quiet on me when it reaches the top freqs.

I've noticed that not too long ago.  The sheffield My Disc test disc goes totally silent on me after 17khz when there's still 3khz to go in that track.   :(  While my 12 year old son can still hear them up to the very end of that 20hz -20khz sweep. :(

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1420 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 08:22 PM »
Hello akyat and av,

Well may i just share my opinion on hearing problems. For you to hear and feel frequencies (test tones)  you should have an acoustically correct environment, hence ideal and controlled. There are a lot of factors affecting these test tones. When hearing tests are done, the patient is enclosed  in an airtight AUDIO BOOTH with high quality headphones to get an accurate result. Hence CONTROLLED set-up. But as we age depending on noise exposure ( jackhammers, disco, walkman mania, machine shops, etc.) and abuse (load rock music, concerts, distortion infested hi-fi, etc)...the first frequencies to be affected are the high frequencies which are present at the base of the cochlea which is proximal to the external environment. FYI: It only takes Php 300 to have your hearing assessed by a professional audiologist. Try out AMEARCO or MANILA HEARING CENTER. Being an audiophile.. you owe it to yourself to know if your precious hearing is within the normal hearing acuity. Cheers! ;D
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1421 on: Sep 03, 2005 at 11:47 AM »
the frquency sweep is still useful to find out the characteristic of the room (not just your ears. but i fully agree and check your ears first) and your speakers.

my room is a bass hole. in one instance, not even the famed REL sub was able to put out bass in that room. and that's the reason why i have the speakers i have now.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2005 at 11:56 AM by arnoldc »

Offline wowowee

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1422 on: Sep 04, 2005 at 07:13 AM »
the frquency sweep is still useful to find out the characteristic of the room (not just your ears. but i fully agree and check your ears first) and your speakers.

my room is a bass hole. in one instance, not even the famed REL sub was able to put out bass in that room. and that's the reason why i have the speakers i have now.
What is that speaker you have now?

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1423 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 01:25 PM »
DIY bro. para hindi OT, PM mo na lang ako.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1424 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 01:38 PM »

If you're room mode sucks out certain bass frequencies at your listening possition, there's really nothing any subwoofer can do, expensive or otherwise.  Only addressing the room mode with bass traps, changing your listening position or subwoofer placement will help.  So what did you do?

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1425 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 03:42 PM »
av_phile, rotate everything and use DIY spakers

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1426 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 07:55 PM »
9.6 got to hear it again at Akyatbundok's condo driven by AMC 6550 tube amp for me my observation still the same. :) :) :) must audition before buying other brand. :)

Congrats sir jetok!!..

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2005 at 02:56 PM by hans adriane »

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #1427 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:43 AM »
kawawa naman yung MS ni master akyat, andun lang sa isang tabi  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1428 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:51 AM »
Oo nga no. We forgot to include it sa mga shootout stars.  :D

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #1429 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:58 AM »
bugbog na kasi yan sa mga previous session pre kaya nagrerecharge pa  ;D

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1430 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 12:12 PM »
Oo nga no. We forgot to include it sa mga shootout stars.  :D

Matzter,

Nun late night nakabit namin to my ears naging warm yun MS tweeter compare to Dali. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2005 at 04:13 PM by hans adriane »

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1431 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 02:09 PM »
Twice the price tag doesn't mean twice better in sound quality.  Price and sound quality are rarely commensurately proportional.

Exactly sir av_phile, and I think most people are aware of this.  Having said that, it's exactly my premise:  because of the reality that price and sound are not directly in proportion, I am unwilling to buy a more pricey speaker with only minute improvements in sound no matter how excellently engineered it is.  At the end of the day, it's not the engineering nor the technology nor the materials that I are buying, its the sound.

But I would agree that better engineered products would have better quality.   However, one may reach a certain point when he realizes that at a certain degree of quality, the price is not anymore warranted.  I agree with you completely that it is the consumer's value judgement that would dictate the choice.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #1432 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 03:37 PM »
What are the elements that cause the "BASS HOLE / TRAP"

If this is a description of a room for listening where even the 9.6 that is known for its excellence in the low frequency region falls short, what features should the speakers must have to resolve this?  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1433 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 04:00 PM »
What are the elements that cause the "BASS HOLE / TRAP"

If this is a description of a room for listening where even the 9.6 that is known for its excellence in the low frequency region falls short, what features should the speakers must have to resolve this?  ::)

A bass hole happens when there is a "suck out" or cancellation of a certain freqeuncy at your listening position.  All rooms have room modes where standing waves occur at certain frequencies that are fully dependent on the geometry and dimensions of the room.  Opposite to a suck-out is a peaking where the standing waves reinforce the primary waves to make it sound louder than others. 

Room treatments that decay first reflections only address the mids and highs.  Room modes become apparent starting at 200hz and below where most room treatments fail.  That is why bass propagation is the most difficult to manage in any room.

There is nothing a speaker has that can control room modes. That's why I said, not even the most expensive subwoofers can create the needed bass if the room mode sucks it out at your listening position.  The only way to manage room mode is to minimize its effect using bass traps, changing speaker placement positions, or changing your listening position. Parametric equalizers help but only to tame peaking once you've identified the specific offending frequency.  Not suck outs.  Increasing the amplitude of a sucked-out frequency only increases the reflected out of phase frequency and the net effect is still a suck-out. 

There are excellent web site articles on room modes.  Just do a google search.  I recall there's even an online calculator that tells you what frequencies peak or sucked out given your room dimensions, speaker positions and listneing positions relative to each other.  Just can't remember the site.   There's a few articles on it at www.audioholics.com on the topic of accoustics.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2005 at 09:22 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1434 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 05:14 PM »
Matzter,

Nun late night nakabit namin to my ears naging warm yun MS tweeter compare to Dali. ;D ;D

Late night? Grabe, anong time ba kayo inabot dyan kina Akyat?  :)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1435 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 05:21 PM »
Late night? Grabe, anong time ba kayo inabot dyan kina Akyat?  :)

11:30pm na ata walang sawang kwentuhan.. 3x ako tumayo ayaw paring nila umalis hehehehe

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1436 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 06:50 PM »
pano aalis eh may gulaman na ;D
money is best spent

Offline Control

• DVD Addict
  • Let your ears guide you!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1437 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 07:04 PM »
11:30pm na ata walang sawang kwentuhan.. 3x ako tumayo ayaw paring nila umalis hehehehe

huh.... buti na lang pala at hindi na kami nag-intay...  :o

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #1438 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 01:07 PM »
guys clarification lang ha we'll be listening (again) to the 9.6 this sat, not the 9.5 or 9.4.

HELLO GUYS,
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #1439 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 01:12 PM »
HELLO GUYS,

Hello guys, still on the entry level...... would like to ask, can an ONKYO501 drive the 9.6 easily? or can I settle with a 9.5 or 8.4 and still get the usual sound of a wharfedale floorstander? any suggestion would be fully appreciated.
rock and roll is here to stay...........