Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568380 times)

Offline vvt-i

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #1500 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 05:04 PM »
Tumpak sir jetok!! ;D ;D ;D warm pero transparent with nice imaging, yun presence ng singer and instrument are spot on, di harsh and aggressive kahit lakasan and a little sweetness sa vocals.. ;D yun mid bass sana analytical may tono hindi tum tum ang dating.. :)

tum tum?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1501 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 05:07 PM »
boom boom  ;D

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1502 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 06:18 PM »
Hi,

I've tried to look, but can't find a listing of current prices of these Wharfedale's.  I've got a pair of the old 8.4's, driven by HK AVR330.... but the binding posts were of poor quality, rotted away in just a 18 months time from continuous dog and puppy abuse... he he he...   I'm thinking of replacing them with new ones...   I've got a 7x10 room to fill up too.

Thanks in advance.
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1503 on: Sep 20, 2005 at 11:25 AM »
Somebody's selling a pair of 9.4's, a 9CM, a pair of WH2's and a US Audio 12" sub in the marketplace for a package price of P22k (5 months old). I think that's a bargain. Would get it if I didn't already have my setup...

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1504 on: Sep 22, 2005 at 12:28 PM »
Somebody's selling a pair of 9.4's, a 9CM, a pair of WH2's and a US Audio 12" sub in the marketplace for a package price of P22k (5 months old). I think that's a bargain. Would get it if I didn't already have my setup...

Uy good bargain na yun scouting for Center ito ok 9CM. :)

Offline vvt-i

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1505 on: Sep 22, 2005 at 04:32 PM »
Uy good bargain na yun scouting for Center ito ok 9CM. :)

i agree 100%.  ;D

Offline doorknob2k1

• Collector
  • Newbie here... be kind to me. =)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1506 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 02:19 AM »
sw-150 owners... if you have time... kindly post personal reviews. i'm just about ready (financially) to get one... need some more encouragement.  :)

Offline vvt-i

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1507 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 10:33 AM »
sw-150 owners... if you have time... kindly post personal reviews. i'm just about ready (financially) to get one... need some more encouragement.  :)

my take on the sw150:

for audio:

we paired it with whaf 9.1 and 9.2 hooked up to a tube preamp with preouts.  it is fast and tight.  no overhang.  integration with the 9s were seamless but i don't know with other brand of speakers. i liked it.

fot ht:

i used it in a 12sqm area with my 9.6 and 9cm with my yamaha 440 driving it.  seamless pa rin yung integration ng base with the rest of the speakers.  enough to fill the room which was greatly enhanced by the base coming from the 8 inch driver of the 9.6. compared to a bigger sub like dq12 which was loaned by a friend, the dq12 digs down deeper. 

wharf's recommendation :

small room (up to 12sqm)

ok to pair it with 9.1 or 9.2

medium room (12 to 18sqm)

ok to pair with 9.2.

i don't know why they did not pair it with a floorstander like the 9.4 or 9.5.

hope this will help you in making your decision.  :)

pahabol:  my neighbor complained when i was using the dq12 as my sub but did not when i was using the sw150.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2005 at 10:39 AM by jetok »

Offline doorknob2k1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1508 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 12:19 PM »
my take on the sw150:

for audio:

we paired it with whaf 9.1 and 9.2 hooked up to a tube preamp with preouts.  it is fast and tight.  no overhang.  integration with the 9s were seamless but i don't know with other brand of speakers. i liked it.

fot ht:

i used it in a 12sqm area with my 9.6 and 9cm with my yamaha 440 driving it.  seamless pa rin yung integration ng base with the rest of the speakers.  enough to fill the room which was greatly enhanced by the base coming from the 8 inch driver of the 9.6. compared to a bigger sub like dq12 which was loaned by a friend, the dq12 digs down deeper. 

wharf's recommendation :

small room (up to 12sqm)

ok to pair it with 9.1 or 9.2

medium room (12 to 18sqm)

ok to pair with 9.2.

i don't know why they did not pair it with a floorstander like the 9.4 or 9.5.

hope this will help you in making your decision.  :)

pahabol:  my neighbor complained when i was using the dq12 as my sub but did not when i was using the sw150.  ;D

great! thanks jetok! :) i'll be adding this (sw150) to my 9.1 and 9.cs driven by a marantz sr4400... one of the factors i need to consider is the dimensions of the subwoofer. my room is very small... something like 8feet x 10feet only... its a bedroom... so sobrang liit na ng space. if only i could afford a REL Quake.  ::) ??? ::)   i wish!  ;D

one last thing... what's the dimension of the box... and how heavy is it? i don't have a car and most probably will hand carry it just like when i got my 9.1s.  :-\

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2005 at 06:57 PM by doorknob2k1 »

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1509 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 01:14 PM »
I too have a sw150..

I pair it w/ a pair of Epos Es14's as fronts and 9.1 'for rear... and Marantz Sr4500 as amplifier

For my application where my room is only about 8-9 sq meters... It's more than enough . Actaully a bigger one might be too boomy in my room..

Intergration is seemless both for music and the occational movie on my PC.. Really recomended for a small room. The box is square and would be difficult to carry for an extended period. About as heavy as a pair of 9.1's

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #1510 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 02:01 PM »
...i wonder who's the new wharfedale diamond 9.6 owner? :D CONGRATS! enjoy your new toys...kaya pala parang nagkaroon ng surplus shop, hehehe! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1511 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 03:16 PM »
@doorknob2k1

I have the SW 150 with a similar reciever Marantz4500.I think one of the most important adjustments one can make to avoid distortion in movies ,the dreaded Grrrr. sound is to set minus 10 on the lfe adjusted through the surround paramreters. This gives the sub a cleaner slightly lower signal which in turn can be turned up higher through the sub and reciever gain controls.This gives the sw a powerful enough punch which I wish would go slightly lower.thats Why im thingking of pairing it with a DQ 12.Hope this helps
Gubs
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2005 at 03:18 PM by Gubs »

Offline doorknob2k1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1512 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 06:54 PM »
Great! thanks for your inputs... jetok, jambam & gubs. i really appreciate it.  :) 
hopefully before this week ends i'll be tinkering with my very own sw-150.  ;)

Gubs, will pm you soon about those settings you mentioned.

Cheers!  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2005 at 07:00 PM by doorknob2k1 »

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #1513 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 08:08 AM »
Hi fellow wharfs user,

Since 9.4 is bi-wire enable, i just wanna ask if its ok to connect the other 2 terminals (+,-) to another amp?
I dont bi-wire pa kasi my 9.4. It is currently connected to my receiver, but then i want to connect sana the other two remaining terminal to other amp para sa audio naman...ok lang ba yon? Hope for your advice sirs..
Thanks in advance... ;)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1514 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 08:17 AM »
Hi fellow wharfs user,

Since 9.4 is bi-wire enable, i just wanna ask if its ok to connect the other 2 terminals (+,-) to another amp?
I dont bi-wire pa kasi my 9.4. It is currently connected to my receiver, but then i want to connect sana the other two remaining terminal to other amp para sa audio naman...ok lang ba yon? Hope for your advice sirs..
Thanks in advance... ;)

This assumes retaining the jumpers right? I read about similar setup in ecoustics. What happened was the active amp shut down. It was believed that the other amp became an added load for the active amp.

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1515 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 08:23 AM »
This assumes retaining the jumpers right? I read about similar setup in ecoustics. What happened was the active amp shut down. It was believed that the other amp became an added load for the active amp.

sir, what if i disconnect the jumpers? natatamad kasi ako magpalipat-lipat ng speaker wires from avr and audio amp..thanks sir  :)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1516 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 08:32 AM »
sir, what if i disconnect the jumpers? natatamad kasi ako magpalipat-lipat ng speaker wires from avr and audio amp..thanks sir  :)

Using the amp connected to the HF will give you HF only. Same goes for the amp connected to the LF, LF only.

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1517 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 08:41 AM »
Using the amp connected to the HF will give you HF only. Same goes for the amp connected to the LF, LF only.

sir, pardon my ignorance,  :-\whats exactly HF and LF means? ??? Actually, when i was trying to bi-wired it, the other 2 terminals cannot accomodate banana plugs..wala yatang butas..eto po ba yung sinasabi nyo na LF? yung HF po ba ang pwede kabitan ng banana plugs? thanks po ulit.. :-*
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1518 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 08:57 AM »
HF-high frequency (tweeters), LF-low frequency (woofers). The binding posts can accomodate bananas. Kuha ka ng knife tapos i-pluck mo yung pula at itim na plastic.

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1519 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 09:07 AM »
HF-high frequency (tweeters), LF-low frequency (woofers). The binding posts can accomodate bananas. Kuha ka ng knife tapos i-pluck mo yung pula at itim na plastic.

ah ok sir..thanks for the advice..looks like lipat lipat na lang when shifting from audio amp and my avr..
thanks God we have this forum to provide answers...Thanks again sir.. ;)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1520 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 11:28 AM »
Hi fellow wharfs user,

Thanks in advance... ;)

Tried that before pero di pwede you'll notice meron distortion sa sound pag dalawa naka hook up sa speaker mo even isa naka on while the other is off..

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1521 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 11:31 AM »
Tried that before pero di pwede you'll notice meron distortion sa sound pag dalawa naka hook up sa speaker mo even isa naka on while the other is off..

Ah ok.. thanks sir. tiyagain ko na lang magpalipat -lipat ng speaker wire.. Thanks master hans... ;)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1522 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 11:33 AM »

If you like a fast sub for audio 8" is good while for HT 12" naman pero mabagal sa audio. most important syempre kahit na 8" or 12" is the seemless integration with your front speaker. :)

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1523 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 11:55 AM »
I have the SW 150 with a similar reciever Marantz4500.I think one of the most important adjustments one can make to avoid distortion in movies ,the dreaded Grrrr. sound is to set minus 10 on the lfe adjusted through the surround paramreters. This gives the sub a cleaner slightly lower signal which in turn can be turned up higher through the sub and reciever gain controls.This gives the sw a powerful enough punch which I wish would go slightly lower.thats Why im thingking of pairing it with a DQ 12.Hope this helps
Gubs

bro gubs! sang setting po tong sinasabi mo -10? iba pa po ba yan dun sa gain ng mga speakers n SW? tnx

Offline Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1524 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 01:26 PM »
@Kt
Nasa main menu sya no.4 for SURROUND pagkatapos ng preference no.3.May tatlong setting sya for LFE, -10db, 0db at OFF.
Iba pa siya sa subwoofer volume control at sa reciever subwoofer +/-  gain control.Hope this helps
Gubs

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1525 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 01:39 PM »
bro gubs! ah ok cge check ko ltr. ano ba diffrence ng mga -10 & 0 sa setting na yun? n sa SW gain mo ilan naka set mo? so dba under sya sa Surround setting? so di sya gagana sa stereo mode? tnx

Offline Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1526 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 02:20 PM »
@kT
Para sa lfe channel lang sya.D sya naka effect ng two channel lang. Mas mahina ang LFE o.1 channel sa movies pag-10 kesa sa 0 kaya less distortion sya kapag malakas ang volume ,set ko lang ang sub gain sa 10 to 11  oclock at reciever sub gain sa +2 o+3. Pag nasa 0db ang lfe garalgal ang sub kaagad . Pag hinaan ang sub volume at reciever gain kulang naman sa punch kaagad.Mas malawak ang range mo bago magdistort kapag -10.hope this helps.
Gubs

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1527 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 03:10 PM »
bro gubs tnx i'll try that out!

Offline doorknob2k1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1528 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 08:00 PM »
... most important syempre kahit na 8" or 12" is the seemless integration with your front speaker. :)

yup! mas importante ata yun for me. that's why kahit mabigat ng konte sa bulsa e i've decided to get the sw150... soon!
plus it would be kinda nice to look at (i think) kse parepareho ang itsura ng speakers. won't hear the wife say "ano ba yan? baket iba-iba?!"   ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2005 at 02:04 AM by doorknob2k1 »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1529 on: Oct 04, 2005 at 10:58 AM »
yup! mas importante ata yun for me. that's why kahit mabigat ng konte sa bulsa e i've decided to get the sw150... soon!
plus it would be kinda nice to look at (i think) kse parepareho ang itsura ng speakers. won't hear the wife say "ano ba yan? baket iba-iba?!"   ;D

Agree hirap magalit si kumander. ;) ;) ;)