Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568501 times)

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #1950 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 09:28 AM »
Iyou have the budget would you still buy a Wharfs or would you buy another speaker?
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1951 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 10:14 AM »
i would buy speakers that match well with my other equipment. :)

Offline atomicat10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #1952 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 10:28 PM »
Quote from izukiultra

Sa brochure nila they say they are using Nonster Cable for the wiring.

Why bother with FERRO fliuid on the Tweeter? If your are reffering to the 8 series, definitely 9 series have better drivers & enclosures. I had a many experienced with Diamond 8. Sound? Diamond 9 has 2 steps better thatn the latter. (This is just me)

I checked out the diamond 9 brochure in PDF and by using the search tools I searched for the word Monster not Nonster(LOL) and there were ZERO results, meaning it was never mentioned which leads me to believe that the 9 series were NOT wired using these expensive cables. I had suspected this ever since no one tried to answer this question since I "trolled" this thread. Then, you replied.

I am not trying to contest which sounds better (very subjective topic), what I'm really after is to know how much these speakers cost by figuring out what they are made of.

Presently, Diamond 8.4 is about P8,000+ while its Diamond 9.5 equivalent is priced about P12,000+.

Diamond 8 is wired internally (FACT) BY MONSTER XP CABLE, DIAMOND 9- I'M NOT SURE

DIAMOND 8 TWEETER-FERRO FLUID COOLED, DIAMOND 9-NOT SURE

Why bother with Ferrofluid?

Here's Why:http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ferrofluid.htm?referrer=adwords_campaign=ferrofluid_ad=018431&_search_kw=ferrofluid

Quote from Wikipedia: 

Applications
They are used in loudspeakers to sink heat between the voice coil and the magnet assembly, and to passively damp the movement of the cone. They reside in what would normally be the air gap around the voice coil, held in place by the speaker's magnet.

They also have friction-reducing capabilities as well. If applied to the surface of a strong enough magnet, such as one made of Neodymium, it can glide across smooth surfaces with minimal resitance.

Diamond 8-Rare Earth-Neodymium(Neo) magnet-The most powerful magnet available

LINK:http://neodymiummagnets.info/faq.php

Diamond 9 rare earth (Unspecified) magnet

diamond 8 front ported, diamond 9 rear ported

SAME KEVLAR DRIVERS FOR BOTH SERIES

SAME CABINET, DIFFERENT SHAPES

BETTER CROSSOVER FOR DIAMOND 9 AND MORE RIGID CHASSIS ACCORDING TO WHARFEDALE

PRETTIER BINDING POST FOR DIAMOND 9 SERIES both bi-wireable gold plated.

REVIEWS-WISE: DIAMOND 8 SERIES SLIGHTLY HAVE THE BETTER REVIEWS ALL OVER THE NET  (THANKS AGAIN TO ITS LOWER PRICE)

SA LOOKS YOU BE THE JUDGE:

Diamond 8

diamond 9

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2006 at 12:51 AM by atomicat10 »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1953 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 12:38 PM »
The use of ferrofluids do not necessarily guarantee superior sonics to one that doesn't. Though admitedly, they help improve performance.  Even the type of ferrofluid's viscosity and magnetization varies from one tweeter application to another.  It all depends on the design.  Ferrofluids are generally used as coolant to allow the tweet to perform at high power levels without the problems associated when magnet saturation levels are reached. 

In many commercial designs, ferrofluids are also used in lieue of a spider to center the speaker's voice coils relative to the magnet.  Spiderless tweeters rely on the ferrofluid's magnetization properties to center the coil, reducing the cost of production, simplifying production and minimizing the usual distortion resulting from spiders.    They reduce the cost of production and impove performance. But it must be part of the design parameters that include the viscosity levels to dampen certain frequencies as well the tweeter construction to ensure that the coil bobbins are not ruined when in contact with the substance, among other things.  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2006 at 09:52 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1954 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 01:07 PM »
Bakit mas mababa price ng Wharfs compared to other brands like MA, Dali, Mission, Klipsch, MS and AE entry level speakers?
Does this got to do with performance?

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #1955 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 01:10 PM »
Sir AV, I've checked the Wharfedale Diamond 8 brochure and guess what-this series utilizes BOTH the SPIDER and the FERROFLUID COOLING!

LINK:http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/ranges/brochure_4.pdf

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #1956 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 01:20 PM »
Bakit mas mababa price ng Wharfs compared to other brands like MA, Dali, Mission, Klipsch, MS and AE entry level speakers?

Sir, kung ako lang ang masusunod lahat ng bagay mura lang ang price but in reality some materials/substances have more value in direct relation to its availability. What Wharfedale has done lately is to incorporate value-laden technology into their entry level speakers at "entry level prices", making one reviewer give the DIamond 8 Series the HI-FI Product of the Decade distinction where as the Diamond 9 the product of the year award by another.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1957 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 01:40 PM »

I don't think so.  Pinoys are lucky, these wharfe models are inexpensive here.  Try researching the prices  on the net and you'll discover the Wharfe diamond can be more if not as expensive as some of the models you mentioned online and in Europe/Americas, inluding B&W entry levels.  I think this was discuessed earlier in this post or another.   
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2006 at 01:44 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1958 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 01:41 PM »
Sir, kung ako lang ang masusunod lahat ng bagay mura lang ang price but in reality some materials/substances have more value in direct relation to its availability. What Wharfedale has done lately is to incorporate value-laden technology into their entry level speakers at "entry level prices", making one reviewer give the DIamond 8 Series the HI-FI Product of the Decade distinction where as the Diamond 9 the product of the year award by another.

I've been thinking of buying the Wharfs medyo kapos kasi to buy the one I really want.
Scary lang dahil baka mag-upgrade din agad ako sayang.
I haven't actually auditioned it so I can't directly compare it with the others na na try kong pakinggan.
Except for the fact na mahirap syang i-drive, aestetically maganda sya.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1959 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 01:47 PM »
Sir AV, I've checked the Wharfedale Diamond 8 brochure and guess what-this series utilizes BOTH the SPIDER and the FERROFLUID COOLING!

LINK:http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/ranges/brochure_4.pdf

If that's their design, then it's maybe more for cooling or damping purposes.  Ferrofluid can address a number of objectives.

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #1960 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 01:58 PM »
Sirs I have read numerous reviews of the Daimond 8 series from foreign online forums and a lot of them were surprised by these speakers' performance at such a low price about 1/5 of the B&W price. Talagang mura ang Wharfes kahit sa labas just don't do that peso to dollar (vice versa) conversion thing, kasi lalabas nga mahal.

Performance-wise, a friend (who happens to be a B&W owner) of the buyer of my 8.4 wasn't dissaponted when he heard them driven by a not-so-powerful Onkyo receiver while auditioning a Josh Groban cd played by a DVD player.

Offline @nk71

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • :o)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1961 on: Apr 13, 2006 at 12:07 PM »
Hi Fellow wharfedale users...help naman Im looking for 9.CM (cherry) new or slightly used...
pa pm ng price...
thanks 09 27 722 76 22

Offline EHMBU

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1962 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 05:04 PM »
Hi guys,

Ask ko lang sa mga wharfe user.  Pag naka large ba ang setting ng speaker (9.5) baliwala na ba yung crossover ng speaker?  Sabi kasi nila may crossover din daw yung Diamond 9 series...

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1963 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 05:55 PM »
musta na ung mga diamond 9.6 users?
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 05:56 PM by john5479 »

Offline vvt-i

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1964 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 06:02 PM »
musta na ung mga diamond 9.6 users?

sold mine including the 9cm, 9.1, wh2, and sw150.  wiped out my ht setup.  :D

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1965 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 06:05 PM »
same here, my "ht setup" is essentially my audio setup as well. contemplating using a pair of 9.6 for ht, the room is small anyway
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2006 at 06:09 AM by john5479 »

Offline vvt-i

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1966 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 06:12 PM »
same here, my "ht setup" is essentially my audio setup as well. contemplating using a pai of 9.6 for ht, the rom is small anyway

9.6 will be more than enough for ht.   best with high powered amp driving them.  i'm sure you will be happy in case you push thru with your plan.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1967 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 06:19 PM »
bagay na bagay sana yan 9.6  sa coming soon project ko na 100W ss monoblocks.  :P

kaso wala ako 9.6 eh...   ;D ;D ;D

Offline vvt-i

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1968 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 06:26 PM »
bagay na bagay sana yan 9.6  sa coming soon project ko na 100W ss monoblocks.  :P

kaso wala ako 9.6 eh...   ;D ;D ;D

doc,

bagay din yan sa 9.1 mo. busog na busog.  ;)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1969 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 06:36 PM »
ang bagsik ng 9.1 pero palagay ko ams ok yun 200W version sa 9.6 para talagang busog!

salbahe yan mga speakers na yan.  ;D ;D

Offline EHMBU

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1970 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 09:13 PM »
Hi guys,

Ask ko lang sa mga wharfe user.  Pag naka large ba ang setting ng speaker (9.5) baliwala na ba yung crossover ng speaker?  Sabi kasi nila may crossover din daw yung Diamond 9 series...

Offline sillyputty

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1971 on: Apr 15, 2006 at 01:33 AM »
yung internal crossover ng speaker e para ma-split yung signal sa bawat drivers. tulad ng hf e sa tweeter, yung lf e sa midbass/bass drivers. hindi mababalewala yung crossover ng speaker.

Offline EHMBU

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1972 on: Apr 15, 2006 at 07:53 AM »
yung internal crossover ng speaker e para ma-split yung signal sa bawat drivers. tulad ng hf e sa tweeter, yung lf e sa midbass/bass drivers. hindi mababalewala yung crossover ng speaker.

thanks sir,

ibig sabihin ba kahit large or small ang setting ng speaker masusunod pa rin ang xover ng reciever and speaker?

Offline macx

• Collector
  • Hakuna Matata!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1973 on: Apr 15, 2006 at 10:45 AM »
how much are the center speakers goin for nowadays?

Offline Toquero

• Collector
  • I'm mastah !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1974 on: Apr 15, 2006 at 07:42 PM »
thanks sir,

ibig sabihin ba kahit large or small ang setting ng speaker masusunod pa rin ang xover ng reciever and speaker?

Let's put it this way, If the 9.5 based on specs claims that it can deliver 30Hz - 24Khz  audio frequency and setting your front speaker to "large" from your reciever it would mean that the reciever would allow sound below the frequency set for the crossover Frequency setting to both L/R speakers (driving it in full range). On the other hand setting it to "small" would mean that sound above crossover frequency (ex. 80 hz) is sent to both L/R speakers and sound below the crossover frequency setting of your reciever (ex. 80Hz) is sent to the subwoofer.

So from the above speaker specs. (30Hz -24khz) sa "large" setting matatanggap lahat ng speakers mo yung buong sound signals  but within the frequency range of your FL/FR . Beyond that (29Hz - below and 25Khz up) di na ninya kayang iproduce.Same theory applies sa Center and surround speakers mo.

And usually sa reciever manual indicated niya yung mga examples ng "large"(floorstander) at "small"(sattelite and bookshelf) speaker setup. 

And yung settings mo sa crossover frequency  cut off mag eeffect lang yan kung naka "small" yung setting mo alinman sa mga speakers mo (FL/FR/C/SL/SR). So yung crossover ng speakers mo regardless kung large or small ang settings sa reciever, gumagana yan as frequency separators sa drivers mo (tweets and midrange/woofer).

Note: May ibang recievers na separate yung settings niya sa LFE signals (sub only at Main+sub). And nageefect lang itong settings na ito kung naka "large" yung FL/FR i.e. main speakers mo.

Hope this helps ;)
Just my 2 cents... :)
HK2550/Denon DVD3800 /B&W603/LCR60/CHT 10-R/DM303

Offline EHMBU

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1975 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 07:15 AM »
thanks sa reply sir...

Now i understand,,,,

Offline moks

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1976 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 10:16 PM »
anong mas ok wharfs or monitor audio bronze series kung hk avr235 yung amp mo? pang ht and music yung application?

Offline moks

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1977 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 12:10 PM »
balita ko ngo ngo daw yung center speaker ng wharfedale compared sa monitor audio...any comments?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1978 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 03:09 PM »
No better way to find out than to audition it yourself and compare. 

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1979 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 03:26 PM »
anong mas ok wharfs or monitor audio bronze series kung hk avr235 yung amp mo? pang ht and music yung application?

If budget permits i'll go for an MA.
Mas gusto ko ang tunog nya.
OK din ang Dali try to audition it.

But im contemplating on buying a wharfs kapos kasi budget ko.