Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568327 times)

Offline allenwfc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #2100 on: Oct 09, 2006 at 06:16 PM »
question guys,

which in your opion goes best with a wharfedale series 9 bookshelf(ex, 9.1 or 9.2) setup?
the yamaha 659
or
the hk 240?

or should splurge some extra cash and get the hk340? how much is the going rate for a 340?
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #2101 on: Oct 09, 2006 at 06:50 PM »
question guys,

which in your opion goes best with a wharfedale series 9 bookshelf(ex, 9.1 or 9.2) setup?
the yamaha 659
or
the hk 240?

or should splurge some extra cash and get the hk340? how much is the going rate for a 340?

yammy 659 or hk240 will be enough to power 9.1 or 9.2

kung hindi ka mahilig sa ipod, i suggest you get the hk335 lang, pareho lang ratings nila with hk340, you could save around 4-5k, tsaka hindi masyado malayo price ng 659 compared to hk335, and IMO, ill go for hk335, yun savings mo pambili na ng 9.1 at konting dagdag na lang for 9.2  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2006 at 06:57 PM by skylynx888 »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2102 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 10:19 AM »
Hi Guys,

As soon as I get my calamity loan  (for typhoon Milenyo),plan to buy Wharf 9.1,Rosewood ;D ;D ;D.
My friend/s may also join me. We may buy 2 pairs at least...
Kindly refer the store that sells it at a cheaper price near  QC. Possibly 5K below kung meron...
Salamat...

ibili mo na ng Wharfedale diamond 9.1 yang calamity loan mo kundi uutangin ko sa iyo yan this weekend! ;D

goodluck k rose...woods ;D

kung vintage gusto mo eto great grandlolo ng 9.1 !

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2006 at 10:40 AM by oweidah »

Offline acostaml

• Apprentice
  • I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2103 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 11:22 AM »
Hello,

I have Wharfedale 9.4 and 9CS for my center i bought mine at shangri la. I really dont remember but i think it was around 9K for the 9.4 and 9k for the 9CS. 

Im using a yamaha 557 to drive my wharfedales. Sounds preety good! Im selling it by the way my 557:)

HK AVR 335
Wharfedale 9.4
Wharfedale 9 CS / WH2
Whafedale SW150

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #2104 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
ibili mo na ng Wharfedale diamond 9.1 yang calamity loan mo kundi uutangin ko sa iyo yan this weekend! ;D

goodluck k rose...woods ;D

hehehe...pag nakuha, ibili na nga at baka ma-calamity uli ;D ;D ;D
mas mura daw sa ambassador...will chek it out....

salamat sa mga reply...

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2105 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 12:38 PM »
question guys,

the yamaha 659
or
the hk 240?

Try to get the 335 or 340  or Yamaha 1500 if possible. 335/40 has a different amp section than the 235 and sounds warmer. And its got area 2 capability already.

The 235 is enough to drive the 9.1's YES that is true. But the higher model's higher power, processor, , etc arent there just so there are other models or higher prices to choose from. IME, they usually sound better, warmer or more detailed.

I have auditioned a top mid level receiver (HK630 P50+K) powering tiny bookshelves ( Infinity Beta HCS) and these little speakers sounded like floorstanders! This experience awakened me to what more power & better processors can do even to small speakers. It also made me recall the all-too-familiar "thin" sound of floorstanders + entry level receivers setups w/c I also had myself before.

So knowing what I know now and if on a budget, I would recommend to go for a better receiver and bookshelves. Chances are it will sound better than a floorstander setup with an underpowered receiver. If you really want floorstanders then you can upgrade to it next time and use the bookshelves as back surrounds (7.1) . And your higher model receiver will surely be able to power your floorstanders.

Any newbie would be happy with any receiver as long as it produces sound, whether it sounds like a HTiB, basta better than what a TV could offer. But in time, as you enjoy this hobby, chances are your ears will evolve and you would look for more....(magastos to ;D) or better. thats where the higher models come in.

So IF budget permits, getting a good receiver early on is not a bad move IMO. Selling a lower level receiver at a loss to upgrade to a higher model may be a worse (costlier) move  :-\ (like I did).
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 03:00 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2106 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 12:44 PM »
Also remember the HT buy and sell section if you dont mind pre owned stuff.

Just think:

@ around P30k you can get kick @$$ receivers that were the expensive top models just a few years ago, with more power & better processing. Specially for those who really want floorstanders & plan to get the lower entry level AVRs (IMHO, manipis tunog ng FS sa lower models, usually, but it still depends on your ears).

@ around P25k you get a new entry or lower mid level receiver with lots of new hi tech features (many of which you might not need) with less power & lower processor.

Budget is still a main consideration of course. But just giving my 2 cents  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 12:58 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2107 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 04:49 PM »
Just wondering & wanting to share my thoughts....how would audiophile people here would react if a speaker like Wharfedale 9.1 is priced in the range of 15K to 25K instead of  current price of P5.5K.
How would they react kaya...sasambahin rin kaya to high heavens like the  other highly priced bookshelf speakers in the market?
As it is, other reputable brands are priced way too much out of reach to some(my opinion only...)
Just noticed that many newbies, as they are called (kuno?)  easily jumps/prodded to believe that expensive is better...just my opinion.
Well, dont have a 9.1 yet, but planning to have soon (preferably Rosewood color ;D,btw this color is getting rarer by the day....)
Have yet to know other reputable brands with the same price points like wharfs:based on feature,quality of sound,cabinet design, etc. pls advise...

Just have this feeling that the 9.1 will also be legendary in the years to come just like the other known brands/models, like  Dynaco ST-70-(btw, just an ordinary tube amp way back then, 'peoples amp'....)

just a thought, tnx.... ::) ::) ::)

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 04:51 PM by dana »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2108 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:07 PM »
Just wondering & wanting to share my thoughts....how would audiophile people here would react if a speaker like Wharfedale 9.1 is priced in the range of 15K to 25K instead of  current price of P5.5K.
How would they react kaya...sasambahin rin kaya to high heavens like the  other highly priced bookshelf speakers in the market?
As it is, other reputable brands are priced way too much out of reach to some(my opinion only...)
Just noticed that many newbies, as they are called (kuno?)  easily jumps/prodded to believe that expensive is better...just my opinion.
Well, dont have a 9.1 yet, but planning to have soon (preferably Rosewood color ;D,btw this color is getting rarer by the day....)
Have yet to know other reputable brands with the same price points like wharfs:based on feature,quality of sound,cabinet design, etc. pls advise...

Just have this feeling that the 9.1 will also be legendary in the years to come just like the other known brands/models, like  Dynaco ST-70-(btw, just an ordinary tube amp way back then, 'peoples amp'....)

hmmmm  ::)  8)  :o  ;D

may rosewoods nako, now hanap din ng original wharfedale diamond  circa 1981 ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2109 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:22 PM »

If you check the net, the diamond floorstanders belong in the same price points as some comparable floorstanders of Infinity Primus and JBL Northridge, among many brands that are more expensive locally.   Local audiophiles are lucky they are cheaper here when compared to their prices in US and Europe or on the internet,   I guess that has something to do with imprtation from China being cheaper her than in those continents.    ;D  Either that or there really is a bigger market for Wharfes locally so there's more supply and hence, lower price tags.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:25 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2110 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:31 PM »
correct me if im wrong, i believe wharfedale now belongs to the same company as quad. quad manufactures its speakers (Lseries models11 12 21 22) sa china, using kevlar drivers too, though of better quality? but ang pricing ng quad ay mas mataas kesa wharfes.  eto din kaya reason (made in china) kung bakit walang magpasok dito ng quad speakers?

imo, pound for pound and at its current price-5kphp , wharfedale diamond 9.1 is up there with the best budget bookshelves of all time- from the original wharfedale diamond, kef coda7, mordauntshort 10/10i/10ipearl and b&w601 series1,2,3.

just my mamera :)
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:43 PM by oweidah »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2111 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:41 PM »

kaya pala nagmamadaling umuwi yung mama, may kalamidad daw ;D

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2112 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 07:07 PM »
Try to get the 335 or 340  or Yamaha 1500 if possible. 335/40 has a different amp section than the 235 and sounds warmer. And its got area 2 capability already.

The 235 is enough to drive the 9.1's YES that is true. But the higher model's higher power, processor, , etc arent there just so there are other models or higher prices to choose from. IME, they usually sound better, warmer or more detailed.

I have auditioned a top mid level receiver (HK630 P50+K) powering tiny bookshelves ( Infinity Beta HCS) and these little speakers sounded like floorstanders! This experience awakened me to what more power & better processors can do even to small speakers. It also made me recall the all-too-familiar "thin" sound of floorstanders + entry level receivers setups w/c I also had myself before.

So knowing what I know now and if on a budget, I would recommend to go for a better receiver and bookshelves. Chances are it will sound better than a floorstander setup with an underpowered receiver. If you really want floorstanders then you can upgrade to it next time and use the bookshelves as back surrounds (7.1) . And your higher model receiver will surely be able to power your floorstanders.

Any newbie would be happy with any receiver as long as it produces sound, whether it sounds like a HTiB, basta better than what a TV could offer. But in time, as you enjoy this hobby, chances are your ears will evolve and you would look for more....(magastos to ;D) or better. thats where the higher models come in.

So IF budget permits, getting a good receiver early on is not a bad move IMO. Selling a lower level receiver at a loss to upgrade to a higher model may be a worse (costlier) move  :-\ (like I did).

i appreciate the input a lot!! thanks!! :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2113 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 08:26 AM »
kaya pala nagmamadaling umuwi yung mama, may kalamidad daw ;D

Tnx AV_Phile1...but for 9.1, any reputable price point competitor?

....hehehe.nagagawa nga naman ng kalamidad na Milenyo...it opened up new doors for me, entitlement to calamity loan ;D, for me to finally buy my Rosewood 9.1 ;D ;D...at least may souvenir ung loan ko...

if all works out well today, the eagle will land tonight in our house....
special free delivery from Sights n Sounds Shangrila. Got it  for 5.5k , hindi na nkatawad...
BTW,to those interested, Ambassador GreenHills, offers it at a special price of 5K, Ash Black nga lang...

With 9.1, I know Im in good company...with the likes of Owediah, JojoD.... ;D ;D ;D...
Bili bili na habang meron pa...accdg to Ambassador, stopped production na raw rosewood 9.1 color at dami nga raw naghahanap... not sure if true.

Lesson of the day: For every calamity, there is an opportunity  ;)...
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006 at 08:53 AM by dana »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2114 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 09:03 AM »
Congrats!
siguro naman sa kasikatan ng 9.1 among the market's available budget bookshelves eh hindi mag stop production maski hindi na rosewood. oks din ang cherry and to some black is beautiful. buti nga honest ang wharfedale nilagay made in china eh kung di nilagay at pineresyuhan ng gaya sa ibang bansa ($300?) eh baka nagkaroon ng additional "prestige"... binyagan na yan! ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2006 at 10:19 AM by oweidah »

Offline Hot Mama

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I Love My Hot Mama!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2115 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 09:15 AM »
Just want to get expert opinion here... which is better for surround... 9SR or 9DFS? Thanks!

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2116 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:10 AM »
sir dana,
suggestment - "bi-amp"/ biwire mo 9.1 squeeze its potential to the hilt dame mo naman vintage at tube amps diyan eh. ;D

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2117 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:22 AM »
sir dana,
suggestment - "bi-amp"/ biwire mo 9.1 squeeze its potential to the hilt dame mo naman vintage at tube amps diyan eh. ;D

i'll take your mamera, owediah! hinay hinay lan....will enjoy it as it is muna...nkakapagod rin magset-up, daming wire, positioning,bubuhat,etc..........hayyyyyyyy 9.1!
enjoy the music muna...hehehe.
tnx for the bad  influence ;D ;D ;D

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #2118 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 12:55 PM »
dana,

panget yan 9.1!  ;D ;D ;D

paired it with Bullet's tado amp err t-amp and the rest is history.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2119 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 01:00 PM »
Napakahirap pumili kung alin kulay, buti na lang the "audition" rule still applies.  ;D

8)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2120 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 01:11 PM »
i'll take your mamera, owediah! hinay hinay lan....will enjoy it as it is muna...nkakapagod rin magset-up, daming wire, positioning,bubuhat,etc..........hayyyyyyyy 9.1!

Bumili ka na ba ng 9.1? Dumarami ata speakers mo ah.  ;D

Offline BuLLeT

• Collector
  • No One Gets Left Behind, Rangers Lead the Way
  • Liked:
« Reply #2121 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
dana,

Chief,

Nakaya ba i drive ng T-amp yung Wharf. 9.1? OK naman ba output at medium listening level? ;D

Thanks

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2122 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 01:54 PM »
Chief,

Nakaya ba i drive ng T-amp yung Wharf. 9.1? OK naman ba output at medium listening level? ;D

Thanks

Yup, at medium listening levels, kayang-kaya naman niya ang 9.1. It can even handle Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture but only at medium levels.

btw, straight connection lang, no bi-wire. I leave that to you to experiment on.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2123 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 04:00 PM »

as u wish. baka kase mas mabilis ma-break-in pag bi-amp/biwire at nang mapakinggan na ;D

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2124 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 10:20 AM »
dana,

my initial impression....panget nga! ;D ;D ;D.
bili na lang kayo ng iba, especially yung mas mahal ;D :P

tried my ROSEWOOD MILENYO    last night just to enjoy some music using Salena Jones, "Those Eyes" and Dave Brubecks'...finished all the songs.

gears used: Technics SL-P999 (CDP) ->AMX KT88 PP Tube (triode/ultral option) amp -> 9.1 , using diy Raon OFCC? interconnects,sala listening area.

the box was delivered fully sealed(as instructed), simple elegant prints(MADE IN ENGLAND , from the makers of famous QUADS..., though actual in China), thoughtfully wrapped with nice packaging preparations inside,documents,manual properly in order...

cosmetically, ang kyut kyut nya, mR pOGI!  ;D ;D ;D porma pa lang,ulam na,PANALO ! ;D

the cabinet has nice curves & proportions , the vinyls' texture nicely embraces the cabinet...
my initial listening experience, although not fully broken-in yet, i tried to set the volume to moderate listening level. medyo tight sounding initially but after about one hour, I noticed that the sound starts to open up...i can feel good dynamics(possibly due to curving cabinet design) & musicality.
the mids are clear &  glorious (naks!) and the  highs courtesy of silk dome tweeters  are not that bright sounding.
the bass is respectable for its size but have yet to check again after fully broken in when all the surrounds & spiders are fully 'exercised'.

overall,price vs performance value,di sya mahirap mahalin.
too early to say, but it has lots of potential...
with 9.1, will stop muna hoarding speakers unless good price etc...
paging friends:ichie, pachino, mandrake, markmlists,tinio...bili bili na...
good day,salamats...just my sentimos... ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006 at 10:26 AM by dana »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2125 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 11:05 AM »
Tnx AV_Phile1...but for 9.1, any reputable price point competitor?

I would think the 9.1 would also be in the same price points as the bookshelv mdels of those brands I mentioned. I think the Mordaunt-short bookshelf speakers would also be in the same price point in Europe,  (Both are Bwitish, asembled in China and well-reviewed.)  But locally the MS is just slightly more expensive.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2126 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 11:32 AM »

... ;)

* bro congrats! baka you need a new amp para pakner ni rose w. milenyo?

**  o ayan may pager pa kayo sa panahon ng cellphone! ;D

unsolicited advice :
to newbies looking for a speaker to buy:  when in doubt - buy the wharfedale diamond 9.1.

to those who wanna upgrade from 9.1 i suggest 9.5 (12k?) or 9.6 (17k) best buys value for money.

just my friday the 13th mameras :) :) :)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006 at 11:58 AM by oweidah »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2127 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 12:11 PM »
my initial impression....panget nga! ;D ;D ;D.
bili na lang kayo ng iba, especially yung mas mahal ;D :P

overall,price vs performance value,di sya mahirap mahalin.
too early to say, but it has lots of potential...
good day,salamats...just my sentimos... ;)

Di siya mahirap mahalin, especially when broken-in. Kahit nga tagpi-tagpi lang ang setup ko eh nag match naman sila. I'm sure you'll enjoy your pair.

I think I can safely assume that my 9.1s are already broken-in, but I'm still a long way from breaking-in my 9.1's stands.  ::)

;D ;D ;D

8)

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2128 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 04:45 PM »
...coming from Owediah & JojoD, it  must be good & deserving your audition, huh.... ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006 at 04:46 PM by dana »

Offline BuLLeT

• Collector
  • No One Gets Left Behind, Rangers Lead the Way
  • Liked:
« Reply #2129 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 05:29 PM »
Hanef.

pati stand ni Master Jojo eh tumutunog na din...  :DBayo yun ah kailangang i break in ang stand. ;D

Nice speakers chief.

Peace.