Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568214 times)

Offline skylynx888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #2190 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 04:43 PM »
Good day.  Guys who else sells the Diamonds outside of Spectra which doesn't have a complete set of the color I prefer (cherry).  Thanks.

Sir, u can visit Sights and Sounds Shangrila Mall, just look for Jhun. What are planning to get?

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #2191 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 06:02 PM »
Will do. Thanks sky. 9.2, 9C, 9DFS for a budget HT setup.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2192 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 10:39 PM »
Will do. Thanks sky. 9.2, 9C, 9DFS for a budget HT setup.

budget pa ba yan?  :o

hehehe... we've got the same setup.... mabigat din sa bulsa.... :(

Anyway, swerte lang rin talaga tayo dito sa 'Pinas dahil mura ang Wharfes!  :D ;D Kung sa ibang bansa di natin masasabing budget setup pa yan....  8)

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2193 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 11:52 PM »
el-el;

Sorry bud, wrong word, make that "value setup".  :D

Same set-up ka?  Great. Can you tell me how it sounds?. Really curious how it'll sound especially those bipole surrounds. Di ba sila mahina? Should I get 9.1's for the rears instead?

My previous setup kasi, the fronts alone cost 20T while these five Wharfs will set me back by16T. Great value talaga even if they only sound half as good as the reviews here promise. 
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2006 at 11:57 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2194 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 12:11 AM »
yeah.... hehe... "value setup"..... ;D

I like sound of the DFS bipoles..... :) tamang surround... :) although mahina nga dating nya since mababa sensitivity nya (and dahil nga siguro "diffused" and hindi talagang directional). However, you can increase the surround volume naman from your avr by about +1 or +2db to compensate....  ;)

Feeling ko nga lang medyo bitin pa yung speakers ko sa power... I only have yammy rx-v457 eh.   ::)

9.CS
9.DFS

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2195 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 07:05 AM »
Thanks again sir MAtZTER for the tip!  I'll consider your suggestion.
Now hunting season is officially OPEN.  hehe.

cheers!
i personally like the sound of the 9.1 more than the 9.2. i heard the 9.1 sounding so good via nad electronics. later on youll be catching the upgrade itch and when that happens, youll realize its a waste of money budgeting your money(ironic isnt it). my suggestion is for you to save up more and buy them 1 at a time. start with very good bookshelves as front speakers. ive been through 5 different systems already before i became finally satisfied with my home audio. i do not want the same thing happening to anybody else. listen to more demos and save up for what you really want regardless of budget.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2196 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 07:29 AM »
i personally like the sound of the 9.1 more than the 9.2. i heard the 9.1 sounding so good via nad electronics. later on youll be catching the upgrade itch and when that happens, youll realize its a waste of money budgeting your money(ironic isnt it). my suggestion is for you to save up more and buy them 1 at a time. start with very good bookshelves as front speakers. ive been through 5 different systems already before i became finally satisfied with my home audio. i do not want the same thing happening to anybody else. listen to more demos and save up for what you really want regardless of budget.

same here, i prefer the 9.1.
in this hobby, some of us go thru this phase of seemingly never ending change of audio gears, esp. those who hear different setups here and there and when they listen to their own, feel that what they have is inferior to the others so rite away change a component or the whole setup. ive been there done that too. for newbies, i suggest first audition different systems to familiarize yourself with the different sonic characteristics - warm brite forward laid back etc then decide which suits your taste (and budget).

btw has anyone here compared the wharfedale diamond vs. the wharfedale evos? is it worth the price difference

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2197 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 11:24 AM »
Nah I'm not blowing big bucks again on HT speakers.  I'll save the money for 2-channel stereo gear, a hobby which is more expensive and more sensitive to upgrades than HT.  From experience, all HT requires are good electronics, a nice & big TV, good quality LFE, good room acoustics, & Lay-z-boys and it won't matter much whether your 5-channels are entry level or mid level (as long as they are decent speakers to begin with of course), the movie experience will be equally good. Thats were these Diamonds fit the bill (I hope).  :)

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2006 at 11:26 AM by lithium_deuteride »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2198 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 03:48 PM »
Having a separate HT & audio setup is one of the best, and in a way, economical means to get a best of both worlds setup.

The other (if you want an all in one solution) is to use a separates setup,  high end pre/pro plus amps. Rotel being the cheapest processor available @ P92k (OUCH, wala pang amps yan) & Anthem @ P150k. These will let you have your audio & video in one room, excellent sound, but too pricey.

I have actually borrowed a Rotel pre/pro recently,& I have always wondered how a receiver size box is filled with so much electronics & no tuner & amp yet! When I heard the sound in music & HT, now I understand why. Now I know what a best, all in one A/V setup sounds like.

btw has anyone here compared the wharfedale diamond vs. the wharfedale evos? is it worth the price difference

I have, my response: OH YES!

Balak ko po sana kasi kunin yung Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series na Front speakers for P5.5K na nakita ko and naka promo yung Wharfedale WH-2 Series Front and Sorround speaker for P4K and US Audio Sub for P5.7K. Tanong ko lang po kung OK na po tong setup na toh for the meantime?

Many thank mga sir!

Your comments, suggestions and recommendations will be very much appreciated!

Ok na yan for the meantime, but if you have extra funds, get a 9 center and put the wh-2 center for the back surround. Dont forget to get a good receiver!  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006 at 02:34 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Lucky7

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2199 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 10:14 PM »
If you can't afford a seperate HT and Audio setup, you should check the Arcam receivers.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2200 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 01:18 PM »
Isnt Arcam more expensive than Rotel? I read in other forums it sounds better but they are even more expensive than Rotels.

I actually know the new distributor of arcam but I dont bother to ask my friend cuz I can't afford it now anyway.

Baka lalong di affordable  :). I am on the hunt for a pre owned 7.1 rotel pre/pro actually.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 at 01:22 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #2201 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 01:55 PM »
Isnt Arcam more expensive than Rotel? I read in other forums it sounds better but they are even more expensive than Rotels.

I actually know the new distributor of arcam but I dont bother to ask my friend cuz I can't afford it now anyway.

Baka lalong di affordable  :). I am on the hunt for a pre owned 7.1 rotel pre/pro actually.
yes it is more expensive than rotel but no, it doesnt sound better than rotel...only different. it sounds different with how rotel does but not actually better. personally, i would pick a rotel than any arcam line up. ive tried many different brands already but among all of it, i never did find any fault listening to a rotel. :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2202 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 05:23 PM »
just out of curiosty..

on paper (specifically, the downloadable brochure)
the 9.3 is better than than the 9.2 which is better than the 9.1

i know that i should audition it based on my tastes, but i'd like to hear the comments of the other users or those who've listened to them.

i know some of you guys prefer the 9.1 over the 9.2, but what about the 9.3?

im just comparing bookshelves here, not floor standers.. i cant afford a receiver good enough for a floor stander... i just need some opinion between these book shelf types :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #2203 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 12:08 AM »
sometimes it's about the room and the amp. a 9.2 can sound boomy if your room/space is small enough. if you are a bass loving person, the 9.3 should be your choice for it's bigger bass driver which can also go much lower than the 9.1 and 9.2 bookshelves.

most of my application is audio, and for me (I speak for myself only) I choose the 9.1 and the 9.5 models since they suit my application and performs well for my needs.

in the end, it all boils down to your preferences and application.

:)

Offline Lucky7

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2204 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 02:57 AM »
Here in abroad Rotel is more expensive than Arcam. I like the presentation of the Arcam which is smooth, detailed and warm sounding. I found the rotel sounds a bit sterile and cold and very forward. Anyway its a matter of personal taste.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2205 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 09:03 AM »

Again, another importation and market demand/distribution issue.  In other countries, both brands are in the same price league. 

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2206 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 09:29 AM »
I have a Rotel CDP but for integrated amps, I'll buy the Arcam Divas and FMJs over the Rotels. Hell I'll even buy NAD over Rotel for the amps. 

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2207 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 10:06 AM »
sometimes it's about the room and the amp. a 9.2 can sound boomy if your room/space is small enough. if you are a bass loving person, the 9.3 should be your choice for it's bigger bass driver which can also go much lower than the 9.1 and 9.2 bookshelves.

most of my application is audio, and for me (I speak for myself only) I choose the 9.1 and the 9.5 models since they suit my application and performs well for my needs.

thanks for the opinion :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #2208 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 01:57 PM »

i would still go for the 9.1 + a good subwoofer rather than a 9.3.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2209 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 02:47 PM »

what about a 9.3 + a good subwoofer?

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2210 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 02:56 PM »
in general (though there are exceptions) -- an 8" woofer like the one on the 9.3 will usually give out more bass but has a tendency to compromise the quality of the mids.... note that for some types of music, most of the musical information is in the mids..... it just so happens that the 5" - 6" woofer is just right for the mids (in general), hence the popularity of the 9.1.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2006 at 03:01 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline maserati

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2211 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 03:16 PM »
in general (though there are exceptions) -- an 8" woofer like the one on the 9.3 will usually give out more bass but has a tendency to compromise the quality of the mids.... note that for some types of music, most of the musical information is in the mids..... it just so happens that the 5" - 6" woofer is just right for the mids (in general), hence the popularity of the 9.1.

what about for HT, ok ba 9.3s sa fronts?

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #2212 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 03:36 PM »

there you go, another excellent combo.

so you see allenwfc, it's more of a synergistical effort on the part of the listener. and to echo chief akyat's opinion, a 9.1 + sub combo would mean a better sounding mids with the low punch of a sub rather than just have a 9.3 and ask it to do it all.

sometimes our different taste in music also plays a big part, so go out there and find what suits you and your tatses the most.  :)

thanks for the opinion :)

you're welcome.

cheers

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #2213 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 06:48 AM »
what about a 9.3 + a good subwoofer?
the idea here why im recommending the 9.1+sub combo is for you to set speaker setting to "small" if in case youd be using a receiver along the path. in which case, a 9.3 would just overkill the task that a 9.1 would do with more than enough competency, and that is to reproduce the highs and the mids purely. let your sub do the rest...this would be better than the 9.3 alone doing the job on the lows
im allan - 09178087173

Offline maserati

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2214 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 10:09 AM »
guys, im gonna buy these speakers this weekend. ask ko lang kung ok tong setup na to fpr HT.  Wharfe 9.3  +  stands for the fronts, 9cs, wh2 for the back channels,  and sw150 for the sub.  Will use a yamaha receiver.  Thanks guys!

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2215 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 10:26 AM »
guys, im gonna buy these speakers this weekend. ask ko lang kung ok tong setup na to fpr HT.  Wharfe 9.3  +  stands for the fronts, 9cs, wh2 for the back channels,  and sw150 for the sub.  Will use a yamaha receiver.  Thanks guys!

based on the brochure...

the 9.3 goes better with the  9 cm,9dfs and 250sws

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2216 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:05 AM »

sir maserati, ayos yan kung medium to large listening area at on the loud side ang preference mo. kung small to medium at moderate listening levels - inmo mas ok 9.1 . sa ht naman big factor ang center speakers so imo mas imprtant ang synergy /same timbre ng fronts at center.

but if you're into audio too, sa 9.1 parin ako

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2217 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:10 AM »
I have, my response: OH YES!

sir matz , pwede malaman anong models na-compare mo wharfe diamond 9.x at wharfe evo1 x0? day and nite ba ang diffrens?

medyo malayo yata pricing difference ng 9.1= 5.5k / evo1 10 = 15k? tnx
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:12 AM by oweidah »

Offline maserati

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2218 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:17 AM »
thanks for the reply guys, newbie kasi ko. This will me my first setup.  Di ako masyado into music, siguro 90% movies-10% music, maybe even 95-5. mostly hip-hop and r&b lang. :)  yung room ko ngayon is on the medium side but my plans din kasi lumipat ng house, so parang future proofing na din in case mas lumaki yung room.  Im gonna get a 7.1 receiver but right now 5.1 palang balak ko gamitin, gawin ko siguro 7.1 pag sa malaki na room. so ok ba yung 9cs for 9.3 or 9cm talaga.  I saw the 9cm na din, ang laki nya, parang ka size na nung 9.3.  :)

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2219 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:24 AM »
thanks for the reply guys, newbie kasi ko. This will me my first setup.  Di ako masyado into music, siguro 90% movies-10% music, maybe even 95-5. mostly hip-hop and r&b lang. :)  yung room ko ngayon is on the medium side but my plans din kasi lumipat ng house, so parang future proofing na din in case mas lumaki yung room.  Im gonna get a 7.1 receiver but right now 5.1 palang balak ko gamitin, gawin ko siguro 7.1 pag sa malaki na room. so ok ba yung 9cs for 9.3 or 9cm talaga.  I saw the 9cm na din, ang laki nya, parang ka size na nung 9.3.  :)

go for the wharfe 9.5 . no need for speaker stands pa.
and since you said ur a newbie, this might be of use to you - http://www.whathifi.co.uk/newsMainTemplate.asp?storyID=37&newssectionID=3
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:27 AM by oweidah »