Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568504 times)

Offline maximusIII

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • sing no sad song for me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #2250 on: Dec 24, 2006 at 08:34 AM »
My present set-up was an Yamaha RXV 2200 AVR, 9.5, 9CM, and 9DFS. Thru this thread, i was able to confirm to myself that i am indeed got the right set-up (based also on other factor such as budget, room size, wife comments, etc). I am very much satisfied lalong lalo na sa HT na paborito namin ng 2 year old boy ko. As of now, sa 9.5 ako umaasa ng function ng subwoofer (medyo nabigla na kasi ako sa gastos) kaya i delayed buying the right sub.

Somebody offered me this sub at P8.5k. Just want to confirm to the guru's and experienced pdvd members kung okay ito for my set-up.

Cube Sub. http://www.bayaudio.com/cubesub.html

almost the same ata ang set up natin ha.

9.5, 9cm and 9.1 naman mine.  however wala pa din sub tulad mo. btw, did you get the cube you were asking about, is it good, what store. how about the dfs, are you satisfied with them.

tia

he is not poor who has so little, only he that desires much.

Offline LtCool

• Collector
  • Ass U Were
  • Liked:
« Reply #2251 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
@dannielsimone, how much is the Evo2-30 nowadays? I would like to add it to my setup of D8 floorstanders.

Thanks

Offline arjunadas

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2252 on: Jan 04, 2007 at 09:10 PM »
Hello Guys,

I'm a newbie on this site. Just want to ask your opinion if Onkyo 8511 will be a good match for wharfedale diamond 9.5?

What other receivers can you recommend at a price level of 15K? I'm more on listening music, blues, jazz and sometimes rock.

regards,
Omar

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2253 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 05:00 AM »
My wharfe 9.5s are paired with my Denon 1906... great match!  ;D ;D

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #2254 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 07:21 PM »
Hello Guys,

I'm a newbie on this site. Just want to ask your opinion if Onkyo 8511 will be a good match for wharfedale diamond 9.5?

What other receivers can you recommend at a price level of 15K? I'm more on listening music, blues, jazz and sometimes rock.

regards,
Omar

Music?  Hmmm....

Yep the Denon will be good for HT and Audio applications.

or you may consider also going for a dedicated audio setup with a separate integrated amp.

Magastos, I know coz that's what I did. But suggestion lang naman po.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2255 on: Jan 07, 2007 at 01:14 AM »
Music?  Hmmm....

Yep the Denon will be good for HT and Audio applications.

or you may consider also going for a dedicated audio setup with a separate integrated amp.

Magastos, I know coz that's what I did. But suggestion lang naman po.

much better if you would have the same set of fronts. add a stereo power amp for them and buy a separate pre-amp apart from your receiver to make use of when listening to 2-ch audio only. you may buy an input selector to toggle between ht and audio usage. this is what i did in my rig.

im allan - 09178087173

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #2256 on: Jan 07, 2007 at 01:48 AM »
much better if you would have the same set of fronts. add a stereo power amp for them and buy a separate pre-amp apart from your receiver to make use of when listening to 2-ch audio only. you may buy an input selector to toggle between ht and audio usage. this is what i did in my rig.

Whoahhh!

But then, bro Arjunadas, maganda tumunog generally ang Wharf 9.5. Warm sounding, good bass, and since floor stander, may authority pag tumunog dahil may malawak na frequency range.

The other week I was with a colleage auditioning speakers also for a new HT setup. We went to this shop in Glorieta, the one above Mercury drug store and they had hooked up a pair of 9.5 with a Yamaha receiver. They had Eagles playing on DVD, and it sounded good. Sarap nga makinig eh. Then we requested them to put on an audio cd, and we listened. Ganda pa rin. Iba talaga ang dating ng floor standers, kumpleto na eh.

Since maganda na ang Wharf 9.5, the choice of the receiver would depend na lang sa preference mo. Mag audition ka. Yup, medyo mahirap nga kasi different shops sell different speakers for the receiver(s) they carry. Well, at least when you listen, you will get familiar with the general sound characteristics of these receivers just the same.

For Onyo, go to Sound Dimension in Park Square 1 and listen. They also have Rotels kung interested ka.
For Marantz AVRs go to 5th Avenue, park square 1 din or SM North.
For HK go to Architectural Audio in Greenbelt 1 or Digital Dreams in SM North Carpark.
For Yamaha go to any of the Listening in Style group of shops in MegaMall, EDSA Shang, etc.
For Denon punta ka sa shop dito sa PowerPlant...sorry I forgot the name. Pero mahahanap mo yun dun.
Inquire also from Mr. Sonny Tuazon kung anong meron syang available.

Basta wag ka mag madali, bro.

Remember, gagastusan mo yan. Kaya dapat give it more time.  Audition and ask lang if you have questions.

Pag sinupladuhan ka ng mga shops or anyone sa mga sales person nila, kunin mo pangalan at i-post mo dito. hehehe.

Good luck.

Offline arjunadas

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2257 on: Jan 08, 2007 at 11:55 AM »
To all,

Thanks to all the replies on my inquiry, they were all very informative.

I need to ask your opinion again regarding wharfs and aurum cantus comparison, I have auditioned this 2 speakers about 2 weeks ago the diamond 9.2 and aurum cantus F5000R.

Both speakers sound good, though the aurum tends to disappear in front of me, but when I look at the specs medyo nagisip ako since the aurum freq range is 60Hz-20Khz compared to 45Hz-24Khz of 9.2. Also the aurum uses special paper material on the cone while the 9.2 uses kevlar. And the aurum is more hard driven than the wharf.

My question is, how important are this factors when buying a speaker. Sound wise parang mas advantage yung aurum though when I ask the salesman, di pa raw gaanong na break-in. Specification wise naman, advantage yung Wharfedale.

thanks . . .

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #2258 on: Jan 08, 2007 at 12:46 PM »
All things being equal, trust your ears, not the specs. For example, Kevlar is hi-tech compared to paper but soundwise, based on my experience, paper cones are better.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline odyoboy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2259 on: Jan 08, 2007 at 07:15 PM »
"For bullet proof vest, Kevlar is the best"
For speakers, trust your ears. Whatever what kind of sound came out of those speakers as long as your happy OK yun! Its your money your spending so don't be trick by marketing GIMMICKS!  >:(

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Wharfdale Diamond 9 HCP award
« Reply #2260 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 08:37 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best compact speaker package award by "What Hifi "  in the 500-900 (BRITISH POUND STERLING ) category OR PESO EQUIVALENT..40,000 TO 80,000 PESO  YEAR??---2004/2005/06?

I believe THIS SYSTEM IS AVAILABLE NOW FOR UNDER 20,000 PESO!!!!!

Any of you folks own or ever demo this system. 

what do you know about it?

Need your opinion!

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3604&aid=35011&oid=4211

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/224/v/1/sp/

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/WhatHiFi.asp

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Wharfdale Diamond 9 HCP award
« Reply #2261 on: Jan 10, 2007 at 07:30 PM »

Just got back from demoing the wharfdale diamond 9 compact cinema 5.1 and must say it was a very good sounding (18,000 peso)  system. Speakers were matched up with an Onkyo receiver. These speakers   Beat up most of the HTIB offered by the major commercial brands that specialize in Audio&video packages.  They are solid speakers and pretty heavy as well.  Nice looking.  The sub is only 100 watt but sounds like it is only 50 watts??   Perhaps it was the positioning of the speakers themselves. For the money I thought there was great value there.  The surrounds are the same drivers as the fronts but the speaker is thinner and shaped oblong like. That is a nice feature for asthetics but the wall mounting is flat screw type..not the swivel type that I personally need for my room.  Will consider outsourcing a wall bracket from perfect view.  (only the fronts had a swivel bracket and that itself was only fair).

If you are considering a HTIB speaker package for a budget of under 20,000 this must be on your list to demo.  It really did impress.  IMHO You will not look at pioneer samsung panasonic etc. etc. after hearing these.

Now just after the demo of the wharfs I went next door and demoed the Mission m30i ( for the second time) how ever this time I brought with me  CD in hand.  I jammed the Allman brothers Statesboro Blues > In memory of Elizabeth reed.  I demoed just the two speakers with out a sub or center.  The quality of the speaker was excellent.  No sub was required  for music as the base responce was just enough.  I mean these speakers were just 2 SWEEEEET.  Makes me wanna push up the budget a bit.  Full 5.1 system with sub and center was 44,000 more than double the wharfdale.  I am hard pressed for cash right now. 

Oh yes...let me say that my wife demoed the speakers with me and she commented how the Missions sounded so much better than the wharfs  as soon as she heard the first few notes.....I said they better as they cost more than twic  as much!!! .......................................Than on the way home as we werwe stuck in traffic My wife turned to me and said....those missions really sounded good even with out a sub woofer.  How much are they again?

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #2262 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 06:58 AM »
To all,

I need to ask your opinion again regarding wharfs and aurum cantus comparison, I have auditioned this 2 speakers about 2 weeks ago the diamond 9.2 and aurum cantus F5000R.

Both speakers sound good, though the aurum tends to disappear in front of me, but when I look at the specs medyo nagisip ako since the aurum freq range is 60Hz-20Khz compared to 45Hz-24Khz of 9.2. Also the aurum uses special paper material on the cone while the 9.2 uses kevlar. And the aurum is more hard driven than the wharf.

My question is, how important are this factors when buying a speaker. Sound wise parang mas advantage yung aurum though when I ask the salesman, di pa raw gaanong na break-in. Specification wise naman, advantage yung Wharfedale.

thanks . . .
arjunadas, before and while listening, you do not need to know the specs or even the brand and the appearance of the speakers. all you need to do is listen. whichever seems best to you should be it, nothing less. if its too expensive, do not settle for anything cheaper. save up more money instead for a more rewarding buy. this is how you save monely in the long run, rather than settling for less and later on buying another and another and another and another....
if youd ask me, i like paradigm reference speakers over any of the speakers you have auditioned. but thsi is just me. :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline noreen_

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2263 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 05:15 PM »
hello po.. ok po ba 'to?  ??? ??? ???

Bookshelf speakers,2004-2005 what hi-fi magazine BEST BUY HIGH END entry level speaker of the year.Almost NEW!NO SCRATCHES!1 month used.Great sound quality,clear crisp highs,very clear vocals ,deep bass extension.Color black ash.Bi wire and bi amp capable. Specification Bass 5" 125mm B/M Tweeter 25mm tex Power 20-100W Nominal Impedance 6ohm Frequency 50-24k @ -6dB Crossover 2.3k Dimensions 194mmx296mmx278mm.

binebenta kc yan ng P4900. nd ko kc kabisado mga yan. balak ko lng panregalo.  salamat po.  :)

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #2264 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 05:35 PM »

Bookshelf speakers,2004-2005 what hi-fi magazine BEST BUY HIGH END entry level speaker of the year.Almost NEW!NO SCRATCHES!1 month used.Great sound quality,clear crisp highs,very clear vocals ,deep bass extension.Color black ash.Bi wire and bi amp capable. Specification Bass 5" 125mm B/M Tweeter 25mm tex Power 20-100W Nominal Impedance 6ohm Frequency 50-24k @ -6dB Crossover 2.3k Dimensions 194mmx296mmx278mm.

binebenta kc yan ng P4900. nd ko kc kabisado mga yan. balak ko lng panregalo.  salamat po.  :)

hi noreen, listen to it. if you like the sound and this is the first set of speakers that youll ever own, then the price is already good for a wharfedale 9 series. regular price for this one is 5500php.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #2265 on: Jan 12, 2007 at 08:00 PM »

Let me put it this way...

Kung ako ang re-regaluhan mo niyan - I would be very happy! Ok?  ;D

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #2266 on: Jan 13, 2007 at 09:03 AM »
Based on what you hear...if you like to listen while reading the specs.. go for the Wharfedale.. on the other hand, if you like to listen and enjoy listening buy the Aurum cantus....

specs are important.. but mind you, different manufacturers has different ways of presenting specs.. some adjust the specs to make it look prettier to the readers...

To all,

thanks . . .

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2267 on: Jan 13, 2007 at 01:58 PM »
I agree.  The specs tell only half the story.

Nevertheless, the specs are still useful.  I use the specs as a starting point.  After studying the specs, I go out and audition.

Sir arjunadas, go for the Aurum.  You say that it "tends to disappear in front of (you)".  A 3D effect on 2.0 channels is a characteristic of only the finest speakers.  On music, the effect can sometimes be even more stunning than multi-channel, since the 2.0 setup usually sounds more natural. If the Aurum sounds better to you, the Wharfe's better specs are meaningless.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2007 at 02:10 PM by barrister »

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #2268 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 03:08 PM »
mga sir tanong ko lang kung anung model ng wharfedale speakers ang bagay ikabit sa videoke. yung pang hyundai. Connected siya sa yamaha na AV. nabasa ko kasi kailngan ata ng ibang speakers kung balak gamitin sa videoke at HT. thanks.

kung di naman anu marecommend niyo brands na pwede pang videoke at HT. yung pang budget lng.

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2269 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 03:34 PM »
pang videoke ng esmi ko wharfe 9.2! ;D

mga sir tanong ko lang kung anung model ng wharfedale speakers ang bagay ikabit sa videoke. yung pang hyundai. Connected siya sa yamaha na AV. nabasa ko kasi kailngan ata ng ibang speakers kung balak gamitin sa videoke at HT. thanks.

kung di naman anu marecommend niyo brands na pwede pang videoke at HT. yung pang budget lng.

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #2270 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 03:36 PM »
salamat sa reply sir :-)

Offline crenshaw

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2271 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 09:01 PM »
sir san no po na demo yung diamond 9's tska missions?

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
Wharfedale 9.4 or 9.5 for Marantz
« Reply #2272 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 10:07 PM »
i currently have a gale setup for my marantz. satisfied na rin sana ako dito, but my sister suddenly had a need for a budget setup. we sort of have agreed already that eto na lang speakers ko ang kukunin niya once makakuha ako ng replacement. she really doesn't want to spend more than what she budgeted for. so ako na lang mag-upgrade.  ;D i also don't wanna spend too much naman more than what i spent for the gales so i was  planning to go the wharfe direction.

i sort of have narrowed down my choice to the wharfe floorstanders. kung hindi lang maliit ang space ko i might have even gotten the dm9.6 for its mid driver. so now i am left with the 9.4 (single 6.5") and the 9.5 (dual 6.5"). anyone have any opinion of this combo with the marantz sr4500?
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 at 01:31 AM by potpot_888 »
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2273 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 08:55 AM »
sir san no po na demo yung diamond 9's tska missions?

Crenshaw......can you please use english as I can only undrstand  tagalog..."conti lang".
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #2274 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 09:10 AM »
bro dannielsimone, crenshaw wants to know where he can demo both the wharfs and mission  ;)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Re: Wharfedale 9.4 or 9.5 for Marantz
« Reply #2275 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:04 AM »
i sort of have narrowed down my choice to the wharfe floorstanders. kung hindi lang maliit ang space ko i might have even gotten the dm9.6 for its mid driver. so now i am left with the 9.4 (single 6.5") and the 9.5 (dual 6.5"). anyone have any opinion of this combo with the marantz sr4500?

You mentioned you have a small space, in my experience, floorstanders on a small space leads to boominess, w/c lessens your HT/audio experience by eating up your mids & highs.

Go for the single woofer FS or even BS is good enough since the subs take care of the LFE anyway. Personally, I have found it best to use small satellites & bookshelf speakers for entry level receivers. If you really insist on the FS, treat your room (corners) acoustically.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:09 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline spectraav

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2276 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:10 AM »

sir,
ang recommended speaker ay yung pang karaoke wharfedale kh800, kh1000 or kh1200

Offline noreen_

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2277 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:16 AM »
thank you po!!!  :) :) :)

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2278 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 12:34 PM »
You mentioned you have a small space, in my experience, floorstanders on a small space leads to boominess, w/c lessens your HT/audio experience by eating up your mids & highs.

Go for the single woofer FS or even BS is good enough since the subs take care of the LFE anyway. Personally, I have found it best to use small satellites & bookshelf speakers for entry level receivers. If you really insist on the FS, treat your room (corners) acoustically.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks for the reply, bro. matz.

anyway, i don't plan na kasi to use speaker stands so i'm bypassing the 9.1, 9.2 and the 9.3 already. i currenty have the 3030 which is a floorstander with a 5.5" driver. di naman siya manipis tumunog though i think i can live with a little boominess, thus the 9.4. my plan is to use the speakers in SMALL mode and set the x'over to 80Hz on the AVR to lessen the boominess. (well, i can always set it to LARGE and see if i like the results, too).

but i'm also attracted to the separate low freq. woofer of the 9.5 and the mid driver of the 9.6. so my question also is which one will match well with the SR4500, given that both the wharfes and marantz are generally considered as warm sounding? which of the three is brighter sounding? TIA!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 at 12:37 PM by potpot_888 »
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2279 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 01:42 PM »
thanks for the reply, bro. matz.

anyway, i don't plan na kasi to use speaker stands so i'm bypassing the 9.1, 9.2 and the 9.3 already. i currenty have the 3030 which is a floorstander with a 5.5" driver. di naman siya manipis tumunog though i think i can live with a little boominess, thus the 9.4. my plan is to use the speakers in SMALL mode and set the x'over to 80Hz on the AVR to lessen the boominess. (well, i can always set it to LARGE and see if i like the results, too).

but i'm also attracted to the separate low freq. woofer of the 9.5 and the mid driver of the 9.6. so my question also is which one will match well with the SR4500, given that both the wharfes and marantz are generally considered as warm sounding? which of the three is brighter sounding? TIA!!!

as other members would suggest, let your ears enlighten you... why don't you either 1) bring your receiver to the audio shop so they can hook it up to the wharfes & audition or 2) talk to a nice shop owner like Sonny Tuazon to bring the speakers to your place so you can audition them at your own home (this would be the perfect option)...

me, I am very happy with my 9.5s paired with my Denon..  ;D