Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 568456 times)

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #2340 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 04:49 PM »
mga gurus, saan pong stores merong wharfedale 9 series?
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2341 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 06:08 PM »
hi guys newbie here  :)

i was convinced to buy a pair of 9.1s yesterday because they sounded so good when i auditioned in a shop in makati cinema square. they guy from the shop said that it would sound great if i hook it up to my NAD 304 amp.

so when i got home, i hooked it up and it didn't sound as good as it is in the shop. is my amp a bad match for it?

assuming brand 9.1 new unit inuwi mo, try to "break-in" that unit (*note - not all audiophiles subscribe to this "burn-in/break-in" thing)

aside from different room acoustics, there are other factors. different gears used to partner with 9.1 sa demo room (amp/source (cd), interconnects and speaker wire) so talagang magkaiba ang tunog. ex. pag pinartner sa mid-end amps/cd/ics/spkr wires, chances are iba talaga ang dating kesa nad304+9.1 combi.

best thing talaga is home audition. ;D

Offline Miguel^

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2342 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 12:35 PM »

kay spectra @ parksquare makati

Offline ar_b78

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2343 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 09:18 PM »

got mine from ambassador park square 1 for 5500. no additional charges pag credit card. dun sa spectra 5800 pag card

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2344 on: Jun 08, 2007 at 10:49 AM »
just got from Spectra Park Square 1 yung 9.1 5.5K nga, yung 9.2 7K(mas malaki to compared sa 9.1 at same wattage), yung WH2 package 4K
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline Lucky7

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2345 on: Jun 10, 2007 at 12:03 PM »
AR

Anong amp ang gamit mo sa shop during your audition?

Offline Miguel^

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2346 on: Jun 10, 2007 at 12:40 PM »
correct me if I'm wrong, pero walang gears si ambassador para sa audition. 

Offline ar_b78

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2347 on: Jun 11, 2007 at 08:29 AM »
AR

Anong amp ang gamit mo sa shop during your audition?

forgot the brand. its not a known brand kasi. if you have time, try to go to watt hifi in mcs to audition

Offline dj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • "be better, be happy"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2348 on: Jun 11, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
correct me if I'm wrong, pero walang gears si ambassador para sa audition. 
yep wala nga audition don kaya mura daw sila unfair naman sa nagpapaaudition tapos dun ka bibili. ot. pagwharfes alam ko dapat ke spectra ;D at sgt ;D para di ot ;D
panasonic 50c10
harman/kardon avr 335
wharfedale diamond 9s
dtx
samsung
pensonic
measy e8hd

Offline Lucky7

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2349 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 11:16 AM »
AR,

The wharf is dark in character but very musical.The NAD sound is warm and imo the combination is too warm and dull.I have a vintage NAD two channel receiver in the bed room and a pair of paradigm atom and the sound is very good.The atom is bright so perfect talaga sa NAD.I recommend a bright sounding amp for wharf like rotel, denon etc.Sa NAD dapat bright speakers like MA,B&W,Paradigm etc.If you are not satisfied you can try changing you IC and speaker wires to silver instead of copper cuz silver sounds a bit bright.Also I agree that you should play around the positioning of the speakers and room acoustics.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2350 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
yep wala nga audition don kaya mura daw sila unfair naman sa nagpapaaudition tapos dun ka bibili. ot. pagwharfes alam ko dapat ke spectra ;D at sgt ;D para di ot ;D

Yan din ang problema ko.

Audition ako sa Spectra, ayos ang service.  Matiyaga si Niño sa makulit na customers  :D. Tanong ako sa Ambassador, mas mura ang presyo pero walang audition.  Na-guilty naman ako bumili sa Ambassador dahil napagod na si Niño sa akin.  Balik ako sa Spectra, tanong ako kung kaya nila mag price-match sa Ambassador.  Nag discount si Spectra, pero hindi pa rin kaya ang price match.

Sa Spectra pa rin ako bumili kahit mas mahal nang konti.   ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2007 at 12:18 PM by barrister »

Offline ar_b78

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2351 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 04:01 PM »

they offered to test the speakers before i bought them.  :) :)

Offline lgas

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2352 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 04:16 PM »
hey guys, im new here in forum, i got diamond 9.5 serries, front and i used yamaha rxv 457 6.1 channel cenima dsp..it sounds great, very much talaga, much na much sa presyong mura, i bought it last december 2006  here in cebu at sm city, and im enjoying it..bili na kayo mga dudes..

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #2353 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 10:03 AM »
hey guys, im new here in forum, i got diamond 9.5 serries, front and i used yamaha rxv 457 6.1 channel cenima dsp..it sounds great, very much talaga, much na much sa presyong mura, i bought it last december 2006  here in cebu at sm city, and im enjoying it..bili na kayo mga dudes..

;) good for you lgas! that's a good choice of combination.

great to hear that our HT fans are enjoying wharfs and yamahas in cebu!

cheers!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline ASuL

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2354 on: Jul 02, 2007 at 01:13 PM »
connected my 9cs to the receiver using 1 pair of the connectors only with out the binding post. did i damage the speakers?

hope not?!  ???

Offline saltuhin

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • sound is in 3D. shouldn't yours be?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2355 on: Jul 02, 2007 at 06:13 PM »
hi asul,

if you are referring to the metal straps or jumpers used to connect the speakers in single wire configuration, you have nothing to worry. you wont be damaging your speaker that way. the only downside is you wont be able to hear the full spectrum of the sound depending on where you were able to make the connection, be it on bass or high.
Without the proper image, all else is background music.

Offline allan1836

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2356 on: Jul 03, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
Full spectrum of the sound can still be achieve since the metal straps (jumpers) are there to act as cables or wires too. They are use to connect the high pass filter of the crossover with low pass filter, thus connecting a single run of speaker wire from the amp to just 1 set of post (either the upper or lower binding post) will amplify already both the tweeter and woofer.

The only difference with bi-wiring ( 2 runs of speaker wire coming from the amp) is that you can tone the sound of the tweeter and woofer individually if you'll be using 2 different sets or brand of speaker wire. Also, as claimed by others, the resistance and isolation difference of bi-wiring causes sonic improvements, which is, IMHO debatable.

For me, a good speaker doesn't need biwire.  ;)

Offline saltuhin

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • sound is in 3D. shouldn't yours be?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2357 on: Jul 04, 2007 at 09:51 PM »
Full spectrum of the sound can still be achieve since the metal straps (jumpers) are there to act as cables or wires too. They are use to connect the high pass filter of the crossover with low pass filter, thus connecting a single run of speaker wire from the amp to just 1 set of post (either the upper or lower binding post) will amplify already both the tweeter and woofer.

The only difference with bi-wiring ( 2 runs of speaker wire coming from the amp) is that you can tone the sound of the tweeter and woofer individually if you'll be using 2 different sets or brand of speaker wire. Also, as claimed by others, the resistance and isolation difference of bi-wiring causes sonic improvements, which is, IMHO debatable.

For me, a good speaker doesn't need biwire.  ;)

hi allan,

feel free to try this at home. first remove the metal straps or jumpers and connect your speaker wires to the high pass section only, you will notice the absence of bass in your system if you are using only bookshelf speakers. if you connect it the other way around or through the bass or lf section only, the highs would be the ones missing.

the two sets of binding posts are for the two traces on the pcb going to the low pass and and high pass sections on the passive crossover.

what i was explaining to asul is that there was no harm done even when he was not able to connect the jumper, its just he wont be able to get the full spectrum since he will be operating either one- high or low. in order to go full range the jumper must be connected.

just explaining my thoughts.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2007 at 10:04 PM by saltuhin »
Without the proper image, all else is background music.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2358 on: Jul 05, 2007 at 06:17 AM »
Bi-wiring won't give much better results, go for Bi-amping if have means.... 8)  8) IMHO... ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline lgas

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2359 on: Jul 05, 2007 at 09:39 AM »
to audiojunkie my wharfedale diamond 9.5 doesnt look like the same as your pics, the breather of my 9.5 is at the back, and the color of my speaker is battle green, try this site, www.wharfedale.co.uk  and look for your speaker, you will notice that your speaker is totally different from their picture, my wharfedale looks just  like their pictures...

Offline allan1836

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2360 on: Jul 05, 2007 at 01:38 PM »
hi saltuhin,

My mistake there, I thought ASuL has the binding post connected when he use just a single run of speaker wire. Yes, that will obviously be the result if the binding post be disconnected. Cheers!  :)

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2361 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 07:08 AM »
to audiojunkie my wharfedale diamond 9.5 doesnt look like the same as your pics, the breather of my 9.5 is at the back, and the color of my speaker is battle green, try this site, www.wharfedale.co.uk  and look for your speaker, you will notice that your speaker is totally different from their picture, my wharfedale looks just  like their pictures...

Paradigm (Studio Reference 60 v2)

Studio Ref 60v2 and Diamond 9.5 (malabo celfon cam kasi ala flash)

[/quote]

Lgas, On this pic take notice that the 9.5 is on the right side. Black ash laminated color and the breather is same as yours at the back. On the left is Paradigm Studio Ref 60v2.

Hope this clear up the confusion... ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline lgas

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2362 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 08:31 AM »
nice speaker bro, i've known from my friends about that speaker has superb performance, but more expensive than wharfedale, what amplifier you use for your wharfedale, each type of speaker performance depends on the amplifier, wires, and players. i have learned that european speakers were made for natural sound output, that's why i bought a yamaha amplifier rxv 457 6.1, coz yamaha are known as natural sound, and yes it satisfied my taste, wharfedale and yamaha did work great, that's what i hved experienced, but remember bro that each person has different kind of preference when it come's to sound, great sounds is in the ears of the beholder...hehehehe..but honestly.. i like the sound of b&w, i just cant afford that much of price just for the sound system, even though im an audio addict, hehehe,

Offline yvesjae

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2363 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 01:36 PM »
i got a pair of 9.4 and noticed that their output is not balanced. the right speaker is louder than the left. i checked the level in the avr and both are set to the same level.

is it normal for speakers of the same model not being able to produce the same amount of volume?
are there any possible problems causing this behavior?
any tweaks to fix this?

thanks in advanced.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2364 on: Jul 06, 2007 at 01:46 PM »
have you tried swapping the speaker's placement, like left->right and vice versa? maybe your hearing is a bit compromised already (as i probably am), or the avr balance is the one out of whack too. try the more simple solutions first... although we're not discounting the possibility that your speakers may have different sensitivities. manufacturing tolerances, you know.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2365 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 04:39 AM »
i got a pair of 9.4 and noticed that their output is not balanced. the right speaker is louder than the left. i checked the level in the avr and both are set to the same level.

is it normal for speakers of the same model not being able to produce the same amount of volume?
are there any possible problems causing this behavior?
any tweaks to fix this?

thanks in advanced.

Try to adjust in your AVR if it has an option....  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2366 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 05:31 AM »
yup, try adjusting the balance of your speakers... ;)

front right .....||.....

front left .....||.....

or adjust when you test tone.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2007 at 05:34 AM by juric »

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2367 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 12:52 PM »
nice speaker bro, i've known from my friends about that speaker has superb performance, but more expensive than wharfedale, what amplifier you use for your wharfedale, each type of speaker performance depends on the amplifier, wires, and players. i have learned that european speakers were made for natural sound output, that's why i bought a yamaha amplifier rxv 457 6.1, coz yamaha are known as natural sound, and yes it satisfied my taste, wharfedale and yamaha did work great, that's what i hved experienced, but remember bro that each person has different kind of preference when it come's to sound, great sounds is in the ears of the beholder...hehehehe..but honestly.. i like the sound of b&w, i just cant afford that much of price just for the sound system, even though im an audio addict, hehehe,

Yes, bro ... the price now of digm 3x the price of whafe....  :(  :(
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline yasmine_leigh

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2368 on: Jul 09, 2007 at 03:56 PM »
Is it possible to connect these speakers dirrectly in the dvd player with built-in amp since I'm running out of budget to buy a decent AVR?  Ipon muna ako for a good AVR???  Hindi po ba masisira ung speakers???

Thanks...Newbie here

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2369 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 05:33 AM »
you would need an avr (audio video receiver ) or amplifier to power these types of speakers.

your dvd player will not be able to drive these types of speakers.

ipon ka nalang ng kaunti pa to be able to buy an avr to power your speakers.

meron din lower priced avrs such as sakura or konzert (check-out PDVD's buy and sell section). ;)

goodluck and happy hunting! ;D